Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 08-19-2014, 05:17 PM
My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist  
Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
Default My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist

Just Got this. I did an awful lot of research on Butt stocks before making this decision. I wanted something lighter, much better quality than stock, as well as something that really set the M&P apart from everyone else's. I really love the look of it as well.

I can tell you this thing is super stiff. No bend to it whatsoever. It goes on easy, fits perfectly with no rattle whatsoever. It makes presenting the weapon faster and smoother. It has a **** ton of sling points for those so inclined and the pad is very grippy without being soft. I've seen some pretty good beat tests on it and it really holds up.

I've heard some concern that the natural hook of it could make it get caught on things, but I didn't see any problems just trying it out and you can always rig a paracord across it if you are really concerned. It's a great way to keep the weight of the gun down as it is the lightest stock out there.

It cost me less than $50 with shipping from Midway, so I was happy with the deal.

P.S. No extra charge for the heart doily background

Last edited by johncal; 08-19-2014 at 05:23 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old 08-19-2014, 10:12 PM
My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist  
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts

Awesome. So what is the weight difference?
Im looking to make my 15-22 as light as I can too!
Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 PM

It weighs 5.8 ounces. I cant tell you what the original weighs but it definitely feels a bit lighter than the original and it will definitely will change the CG forward which is a good or bad thing depending on your preferences. My CG moved forward about 1-1/2". I can tell you this much, if you look around the internet a lot of guys doing the superlight builds are using this. I really like just how nice and solid it feels compared to the original. No wiggle or jiggle! It's just a nice quality feeling And looking item. Feels much better on my shoulder to me.

Last edited by johncal; 08-19-2014 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:21 AM
Liked 10 Times in 2 Posts

Love it! I got a MFT stock on mine too
Old 08-20-2014, 03:22 AM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

looking good.....what handgrip do you have on that? where from? how much?....ha ha then double price because im in the UK
Old 08-20-2014, 03:50 AM

looks like a Caa tactical
CAA Tactical | For M16/AR15/M4 | UPG16
you can probably get it online from Zahal.. shouldn't be too expensive... it would if you bought it from a UK retailer though.
Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 AM

looks like a Caa tactical
CAA Tactical | For M16/AR15/M4 | UPG16
you can probably get it online from Zahal.. shouldn't be too expensive... it would if you bought it from a UK retailer though.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 08-20-2014, 05:51 AM
My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

I have one and it matches very well with the 15-22. It's light weight, there is no wobble what so ever with out the addition of a friction lock and it's fairly reasonable cost wise.

And besides, I think it looks great on the rifle!
Old 08-20-2014, 07:08 PM
Liked 824 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncal View Post
It weighs 5.8 ounces. I cant tell you what the original weighs but it definitely feels a bit lighter than the original...
FWIW I weighed the original collapsible I took off, it's 7.5 oz. The MOE I'm using (with the thickest .7" "enhanced" butt pad) is 9.4 oz.

I think if I had it to do over I'd go with the "Minimalist". Went with the MOE (quite a while back) just because it fit and stayed put on my shoulder better than the original.

My 15-22 is just for NSSF Rimfire Challenge / steel matches.

Last edited by tomcatt51; 08-20-2014 at 07:11 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 07:38 PM

8oz = half a pound. Wish I could shorten the barrel. That would be the quickest way to drop weight. A 10" barrel would be awesome.
Im guessing with a ultralight stock, handguard and cut barrel, the weight would drop from 5.5lbs to 4lbs.
Old 08-21-2014, 09:57 AM
Liked 244 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_airwolf View Post
8oz = half a pound. Wish I could shorten the barrel. That would be the quickest way to drop weight. A 10" barrel would be awesome.
Im guessing with a ultralight stock, handguard and cut barrel, the weight would drop from 5.5lbs to 4lbs.
FYI, the difference in weight between the 16" rifle barrel and the 4" pistol barrel is 15 oz. (25.85 oz vs. 10.85 oz)
Old 08-21-2014, 11:03 AM
Liked 824 Times in 530 Posts

Quote:
The light stock only gets you 1.7 oz. A light CF forend will get you 2 oz. Turning the barrel od down to .500" will get you 10 oz. Talking about this ad nauseam will get you nothing...
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 08-22-2014, 05:16 PM
Liked 220 Times in 138 Posts

I have one on order in SDE - the closest to Magpuls FDE people say as their FDE is apparently not a match - to lighten up my 15-22 MOE.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
looking good.....what handgrip do you have on that? where from? how much?....ha ha then double price because im in the UK
I can confirm the grip. I use the CAA UPG16 on all my AR setups, including the 15-22, BUT note... there will be a little gap between the backstrap beavertail and the lower upon install. You might even be able to see it on one of my photos floating around and I filled the gap cleanly with black RTV.

edit.. see it here, last photo, look close.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked-N-Loaded View Post
I can confirm the grip. I use the CAA UPG16 on all my AR setups, including the 15-22, BUT note... there will be a little gap between the backstrap beavertail and the lower upon install. You might even be able to see it on one of my photos floating around and I filled the gap cleanly with black RTV.

edit.. see it here, last photo, look close.
I'll confirm it as well! The beaver tail gap doesn't bother me at all. It's so small it isn't really noticeable. I love the grip - it's fantastic, but I really love this Buttstock too! It's pretty sweet.

Last edited by johncal; 08-22-2014 at 05:35 PM.
Old 08-24-2014, 09:48 PM

Which version fits our gun again?
Old 08-24-2014, 10:05 PM

It was only mentioned 5 different times in this post, but just in case you're not being sarcastic the grip is the CAA UPG16

If you're taking about the Buttstock it's the milspec version.

Last edited by johncal; 08-24-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:06 AM
My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist My new MFT Battlelink Minimalist  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Which version fits our gun again?
Milspec,,,,,
Old 08-28-2014, 07:27 PM

Here you go... 64g (.14 pounds) difference.

Old 08-28-2014, 08:02 PM

Looking for someone to turn down my barrel. Also looking for someone to make a barrel. I ordered the barrel tool and taccom handguard.
Need to order the min stock. It will be interesting to see how much weight I can drop.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:10 PM

A few nice add ons I see
Old 08-29-2014, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johncal View Post
A few nice add ons I see
If you are talking about mine? Oh yes, tons of upgrades and customizations from CAA grip, KNS pins, custom charging handle and custom latch, stock, BAD device, barrel shroud, quick takedown pin, ranger plates - I never leave any weapon stock. It goes against my nature
Old 08-29-2014, 03:36 PM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

I like the look of that. I was looking at one of these stocks on Thursday. It was tempting!

L-n-L your's looks even nicer. I like the two tone.