Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Yesterday, 05:05 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Budget Scopes for M&P 15-22

I have decided to get M&P 15-22 which will strictly be for the range. I am strictly a target shooter and go to a range that has a 75 yard max. I would like to get a budget scope (less than $100) for target shooting, but I don't want to get something that's complete garbage. I was looking into the Burris scopes at $60-70. Any other suggestions for a decent scope for someone on a budget? Thanks in advance.
Old Yesterday, 05:14 PM

Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts

I have bought 2 cheap rimfire scopes from walmart, one is made by bushnell and the other by BSA. They were both around $30 each and I have had them on different guns for a couple of years, haven't had any problems with them. For the price they are hard to beat.
Old Yesterday, 05:32 PM

Liked 155 Times in 81 Posts

Lots of variables in that question, AO, different x-mag, you also have to watch your scope/ rings height. That being said with hardly any recoil this .22 shouldn't mess with a budget scope. Make sure you mount your scope to the 'upper part' and not on the handrail. You're probably going to get some better advice regarding specific scopes available in the US, but I would have asked which scopes to stay away from...but I would go the higher end of your budget...as a great quote on this forum states, buy cheap, pay twice! Just be aware some of us love our 15-22's enough to mount optics that equal or surpass the price of the rifle so don't be put off if you get lambasted for not getting an Eotech with magnifier
Incidently I own a BSA stealth tactical 6x24x44 (for now) as my cheap optic, I needed something and this was cheap and has this excellent feature. Which actually works really well
Click image for larger version

Name:	0022006.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	167161
It is a daunting decision, listen to these guys on here, they know their stuff Above all enjoy this fantastic gun
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:10 PM

Liked 3,830 Times in 2,036 Posts

I have this one on two different 15-22s and am very satisfied with them. Lots of features for a budget scope. Although it comes with medium height rings, unless you want to use a riser, you'll need tall rings.

Last edited by Majorlk; Yesterday at 06:11 PM.
Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the advice. Don't get me wrong, I love this gun! I was just happy to find out that I could get something like the 15-22 without breaking the bank. As much as I would love to get a higher end scope on this rifle, I have to keep costs down right now. I can see myself getting into mods when I have the extra funds, though!

I'll definitely check out those Bushnell and UTG scopes.
Old Yesterday, 06:38 PM

Liked 3,830 Times in 2,036 Posts

You need to lock up your credit cards! Getting "just one more little thing" is really addictive!

Welcome to the addiction! My name is Lon ... Replacement stock ... angled forward grip ... replacement pistol grip ... ambidextrous safety ... ambidextrous charging handle (second version) ... extended mag release ... speed bolt release ... brass deflector ... match FCG ... Scope ... not to mention additional magazines (can never have too many!) ...

Last edited by Majorlk; Yesterday at 06:43 PM.
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
Old Yesterday, 06:48 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is exactly what I am worried about! At $379 for the rifle and $75 for the budget scope, I would still be in the green. But I already have future mods planned before I've even bought it. I can see how this could turn into a $1000+ project in no time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
You need to lock up your credit cards! Getting "just one more little thing" is really addictive!

Welcome to the addiction! My name is Lon ... Replacement stock ... angled forward grip ... replacement pistol grip ... ambidextrous safety ... ambidextrous charging handle (second version) ... extended mag release ... speed bolt release ... brass deflector ... match FCG ... Scope ... not to mention additional magazines (can never have too many!) ...
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM

Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts

I'll second the UTG bug buster. There is an updated version of that 3-932 with the IL controls on the top, and it's still less than $100.

OTOH, the BSA Sweet22 can be had for $44, which would be great for target shooting. Doesn't come with rings though.

the UTG can go anywhere, even a spring piston magnum air rifle. It's built like a tank and can take the violent double recoil.
Old Yesterday, 07:44 PM

Liked 1,431 Times in 781 Posts
Default A great deal on a cheap scope!

Simmons Whitetail Classic Rifle Scope 6.5-20x 50mm Adjustable

Yes Simmon scopes are junk, yes Simmon scopes are cheap, and yes on a rifle 223 or smaller they give fantastic performance. I have three of these scopes, 1 duplex and two mil dot reticle.

The mil dot reticles work. I use a 50 yard zero for 22 LR, first dot for 75 yard, and second dot for 100 yard point of aim / point of impact and I record the magnification. This simple system works. If the sun is behind me, I can see the bullet going to the target if its at 12X or higher.

I use a 100 yard zero on 223, first dot for 150 yards, second dot for 200 yards. Prairie dog heads are a small target.
Old Yesterday, 11:23 PM

Liked 48 Times in 26 Posts

This is what I got. Compact, tacticool, illuminates, feels durable, and couldn't do it's job any better. Holds zero and rounds hit where I aim. Only con was when I first got it it was incredibly far off I had a real hard time getting it zeroed. But once I got it set it was all good from there.