Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 09-28-2014, 02:20 PM
Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards  
Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts
Default Experimenting at 100 yards

Today I figured I'd hit the range and try it at 100 yards. I wasn't really expecting much, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I used Federal Automatch which I really didn't like at all at 50 yards so I didn't hold out a lot of hope..... in which I was right.

I fired around 50 test rounds to see how it responded. I'm sighted in at 50 yards. With my set-up I seem to get about a 4" drop at 100 yards which seems about right to me.

I fired another 100 rounds at a fresh target at a firing rate of about 1 every 2 seconds. With these results.

This was at a bench, sitting, using my grip bipod and no rear support. I wanted to see in a kind of every day practical application what I could expect. I would say I could do better really setting up the shots and with using good ammo, but again I wanted to see if this were used for more defensive or survival purposes hunting game how it would work. I would not hesitate to take a head shot at 50 yards, but if I wanted to be 100% sure I was hitting my target at 100 yards, I'd go for a body shot.

I am a little surprised how much the 15-22 opens up from 50 to 100 yards but then again I shouldn't be. While the report was fairly consistent, I did get 1 failure to feed out of 150 rounds. The round was just sitting partly in the magazine with the bolt most of the way open. When I pulled back on the charging handle it slid right in. I'm guessing a weak round there. I also had one FTF with a big hammer strike on the rim. In both cases just pulling the charging handle fixed the issue and in over 1500 rounds now I have not had one jam. I am very impressed with that kind of reliability. However, I also religiously clean the weapon after each use and it still looks like it just came out of the box. I'm sure cleaning it that well has a lot to do with it. Although there are some others that make that reliability claim and say they've never cleaned theirs. Who knows.

I just thought I'd share my results for better of worse.

Last edited by johncal; 09-28-2014 at 02:23 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:30 PM
Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards Experimenting at 100 yards  
Liked 129 Times in 76 Posts

Thanks for sharing. This is my experience as well. Up to 50 yards, I can hit consistently in the kill zone. That's with **** ammo too. Beyond that, you really start to see the limitations of the 22 lr round. It's a great rifle so it has nothing to do with that. It's just the limitation of the round. Used in a self-defense, SHTF scenario, I think anyone who hears rounds being sent their way and either hitting them or around them will take cover. So...all in all, not bad.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:34 PM
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

What sort of sights? Was there wind?

You might also want to see if the barrel nut is tight. Mine shot great out of the box but my wife's didn't. At one point I took off her barrel for cleaning and the next outing the grouping was much better. I attributed it to her barrel nut not being torqued enough. I say that because her barrel nut came off easily.. Mine, not so much......
Old 09-28-2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord View Post
What sort of sights? Was there wind?

You might also want to see if the barrel nut is tight. Mine shot great out of the box but my wife's didn't. At one point I took off her barrel for cleaning and the next outing the grouping was much better. I attributed it to her barrel nut not being torqued enough. I say that because her barrel nut came off easily.. Mine, not so much......
I actually use a Reflex sight with a 3X magnifier. I'm sure if I was using a higher power scope it would be easier, but I wanted the versatility of the reflex without the magnifier for quick acquisition and then flipping up the 3x magnifier to give me some range at the longer distances. I don't really see the 15-22 as a long distance 22. My Marlin 60 with a scope is much more accurate.

No it really wasn't windy , but I also was not really taking my time either. I'm sure that with my better ammo and using a bag on the stock along with taking my time, I could get 6" groupings. Like I said, I just wanted to see what I could get under more realistic conditions. I wanted to see what I could get with a faster sustained rate of fire.In other words getting set up to shoot quickly without much preparation. I would say that normally out in the woods you wouldn't be sitting at a bench with a bag on the stock, but it is not unreasonable to suggest you'd use your bipod or a tree to steady the rifle in that type of situation.

Last edited by johncal; 09-28-2014 at 05:27 PM.
Old 09-28-2014, 06:04 PM
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts

Lol. Well if you arent going to use a scope and bench rest the gun and semi auto the gun. Then what did you expect?
Try shooting the marlin with reflex sights offhand at 100yds.
My guess is youd get the same thing.
It isn't the gun, its the shooter imo.
Old 09-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Liked 517 Times in 297 Posts

Red dot at 3X is not going to be that accurate, but what I see are more higher holes, which is not normal, as the drop from 50 to 100 yards should be 5-6 inches.

Bob
Old 09-28-2014, 09:07 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
Red dot at 3X is not going to be that accurate, but what I see are more higher holes, which is not normal, as the drop from 50 to 100 yards should be 5-6 inches.

Bob
Turn your screen upsidedown.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-30-2014, 10:13 PM
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts

I'd try a standard velocity round instead. My understanding is that the super sonic bullet goes sub sonic around 65 yards and that causes problems. If you start of with a sub sonic it isn't an issue.

Try CCI standard velocities. I've had pretty good luck with them.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 01:54 PM
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

The Long always shot better for me ,with the Bolt action at 100 yards. The Long Rifle seemed to stray/drop/wind driftage, a lot. In all just go to a more powder shell an 55 lead in 223 or higher caliber. UR wasting your precious 22 rounds even though it will punch a hole thru 1/2" plywood/kill shot for small game. Think of UR 22 caliber as basic survival "issue" tool.

If U do so there will be more for me. : >/

Last edited by 030201_S&W; 10-02-2014 at 02:07 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:47 PM

10 moa by the looks of it. Will be interesting to compare my 10/22 with tacsol barrel vs my new 10" UK barrel.
With a good scope. Im hoping for the same or better.
Really 2.5" @ 50yds would be wishful thinking but stranger things have known to happen.
Good for you streching out the 15-22s legs!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:04 PM
Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_airwolf View Post
10 moa by the looks of it. Will be interesting to compare my 10/22 with tacsol barrel vs my new 10" UK barrel.
Really 2.5" @ 50yds would be wishful thinking but stranger things have known to happen.
im wondering where you purchased the 10" barrel from here in

england

keith
Old 10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

Quote:
......Really 2.5" @ 50yds would be wishful thinking but stranger things have known to happen.
I quite easily achieve 1.5" groups at 60yds - bench & bipod & 1.5-6 x 40 and pop wabbit eyes at 50 when I go out.....

The twist in the 15-22 barrel is more than good enough to match most .22lr rifles real-world, however, this depends on a number of factors:

A. Spend more time shooting rather than tinkering....
B. Spend some decent money on optics if you're going to shoot distance, rather than another picatinny torch, laser or bottle opener etc.
C. Use some decent ammunition - you don't see top target match shooters cycling Blazers!

Don't mean to offend - I've been shooting a very long time and there's a good reason why I still love it - if I had found the limit of my shotguns/rifles etc I would have given up a long time ago. Because I make sure they are all decent, looked after and the appropriate quality kit mounted to them, I find my limit every time I go to the range, hunt, shoot clay pigeon and so on....

I go out every time wanting to do better - why wouldn't I want to give myself the best chance?

IMHO......
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Old 10-02-2014, 06:19 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Not at all, both my youngest grandson and I pop 2.5 inch targets at 50 yards on a regular basis. Paper groups at that distance are routinely under 2.0 inches, with many hitting 1.75 inches.
Old 10-02-2014, 10:41 PM

The real test is shooting offhand at that distance. Im guessing most of you bench shoot.
Isnt this gun light and built on an AR platform. I dont see to many benchrest AR shooters.
Too each his own. And good on ya as I said for streching your guns legs.
However, it you want to test yourself, shoot 2" targets @ 50yds offhand.
Old 10-03-2014, 04:01 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
The real test is shooting offhand at that distance. Im guessing most of you bench shoot.
Isnt this gun light and built on an AR platform. I dont see to many benchrest AR shooters.
Whoaaaa,

Steady on there lil doggie, while I agree whole heartedly with Hereford when it comes to pushing oneself and ones rifle I would if I was you take in to consideration various factors.

I myself have many years of shooting with various systems and platforms of many calibre's. I also don't use any rests, bipods, rolled up towels, clamps or straps and glove combos, just a MK1 hand and forearm. I shoot standing, kneeling and prone( standard military shooting styles) and the concept of sitting at a table with all manner of padding and gizmos is somewhat alien to me. I shoot from 20 to 75 meters at whatever animate or inanimate object is dumb enough to launch itself in front of my sight (4X ACOG).
I shoot groups (5 or more rounds) and single shot targets of various types but with all this said I don't put down any type of shooting that anyone else does. I know what I can do with my rifle (superior UK version ) and am continually impressed with what this little thing can achieve. I shoot for fun and not for speed or self defence. So for me it's about testing my skill and the system itself.
Beware of waking the trolls!!!!!! For they get hungry fast and can be very mean (by that I mean passionate about their beliefs ) as to what they do.
Shoot, be safe and enjoy and by no means last keep the faith !!!

Rob
Old 10-03-2014, 04:53 AM
Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
with our superior UK hand picked 1522's, i find it no problem at

this distance,my club shoot 2" clays

keith
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 10-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Liked 125 Times in 65 Posts

It's a good job the trolls can't go full auto!

I shoot offhand mostly when vermin shooting - I guess a wabbits head at 50yards is around 2" diameter so I think that's a tick in the box!

Having been lucky enough (here in the UK) to shoot AR platform straight pull .223 I've got to say that I wouldn't pick it over a dedicated hunting rifle for larger game - I found it picky when it came to bullet weight choice and sometimes wayward over longer distances? But then again the .223 round through that platform seems to be designed to maim more that stop? I might be wrong, however, if we were ever given the option over here again to go semi-auto Ctr fire (which ain't likely) I'm sure a lot of us would be lining up to buy them!

Rob1 is right - do what you want and enjoy your sport whichever way you do it - if my previous post was a bit 'passionate' it's because I know good ammo and optic choice is key to successful and enjoyable shooting - regardless of whether its steel plate, paper target or hunting.

I know you Canadians are a relaxed breed so I know you'll dig where I'm coming from! Let's see some pics and weight stats form your ultralight 15-22?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:56 AM

Here the western Canada we have ground squrrels. About 1-4lbs. The are about 2" wide and up to 6" when standing. I have luckally 775 hectares to shoot on.
Now you guys know why Id like a light rifle. Shooting with a 8lb rifle offhand all day @ 50+yds @ 2" is a challenge! So cutting the rifles weight down is a good thing. imo.
Thanks Rob!
Old 10-03-2014, 10:21 AM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

I'd like to chime in if I may.

I am by no stretch an experienced shooter...I have been shooting regularly on a weekly basis for the last 4 years after a serious wrist injury forced me to stop performing Kendo. So I figured I'd switch swords for guns
I started shooting with 'club guns' which didn't exactly accurately depict your shooting abilities, with their old worn out scopes. However when I acquired an Anschutz 1417 with a mid quality scope then the party began. Offhand shooting is all I do...every now and then I will 'Bench' the rifle, I shoot in 2 leagues currently in divisions 1 & 2 (25 yard offhand) and attend as many comps as finances will allow. I also have access to our clubs 100 yard + outdoor range. When shooting against a Ruger at 100 yards, I could consistently perforate bean cans which are about 3 inchs by 6 inches from the bench. At 50 yards offhand we use can lids strung on string and my UK superior 15-22 can nail the lids which are about 3x3 inches offhand. We go down to 1 inch baby formula spoons and can hit them as well. The rifle is willing (not every round is able) and not every trigger pull is performed with optimal breathing and stance but I would be confident that 2 inch targets at 50 yards would be consistently achievable given enough practice even with my novice abilities.
I would certainly enjoy the challenge and the next time we are out I will give it a go and let you all know. 2 inch @50yrds offhand....challenge accepted. Because the fun of this activity is in the trying. That's what makes shooting fun for me and lot of the skills I learnt in martial arts are applicable, correct posture, correct stance, correct breathing, correct attitude and the right spirit. I love my 15-22 like I've read on this forum before it is a true enigma.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 10-03-2014, 01:12 PM

Quote:
As I have said before, my grandsons and i do it all the time. Not 100 percent, but well over 75 percent hits.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Here the western Canada we have ground squrrels. About 1-4lbs. The are about 2" wide and up to 6" when standing. I have luckally 775 hectares to shoot on.
Now you guys know why Id like a light rifle. Shooting with a 8lb rifle offhand all day @ 50+yds @ 2" is a challenge! So cutting the rifles weight down is a good thing. imo.
Thanks Rob!
Your 15-22 weighs 8 pounds? How much junk do you have hanging off of it?

Mine, with rail ladders, Hogue pistol grip, a MagPul CTR stock and AFG2, a UTG CQB scope and an actual .22 muzzle break weight 6.2 pounds.
Old 10-03-2014, 01:53 PM

Your add-ons only added less than a pound?
I havent heard of a scope and rings weighing that little.
Specs on the 15-22 are 5.5lbs not loaded iirc.
Mine with irons removed and loaded was 5lbs.
Did you use a kitchen scale?
Old 10-03-2014, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Your add-ons only added less than a pound?
I havent heard of a scope and rings weighing that little.
Specs on the 15-22 are 5.5lbs not loaded iirc.
Mine with irons removed and loaded was 5lbs.
Did you use a kitchen scale?
I used my commercial lab scale. It is accurate. "Specs" are a paper average; individual rifles may or may not match them exactly.

youngest grandson's rifle weighs under six pounds because the scope is somewhat smaller and lighter. My point is, neither of them (or the oldest grandson's rifle) weighs anything close to eight pounds. Oh yes, no iron sights on any of the three.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:21 PM
Liked 27 Times in 14 Posts

Quote:
Well hell ya i bench shoot every time. Why the hell would I want to stand up and shoot when I can relax in a chair and do the same thing?
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 10-03-2014, 09:23 PM

Interestingly, I went back to the 100 yard range today and gave the rifle full support and really took my time and still had basically the exact same results. IMO, that's just about what I'm going to get at 100 yards with that ammo. There was a pretty talented shooter next to me and he said that's about what he gets with his 10-22 at that range.

I'll try it again the next time with the Norma and see what I get. I know at 50 yards it shoots a lot tighter with the Norma then the bulk Federal Automatch does. I really notice the Automatch has a very inconsistent report.

I did have some fun blasting away at 25 yards as well. Just shooting offhand as fast as I could possibly pull the trigger I was getting everything within 12 inches, so that was fun. It's not so much fun going through 4 mags in less than a minute and a half!
Old 10-03-2014, 09:27 PM

Well I wonder because there are dozens of bolt actions that can outshoot the 15-22 if your only benchrest shooting. IMO the 15-22 is light so you can offhand shoot.
However I love my 15-22 and I bet you love yours.
Have fun and shoot straight.
Old 10-03-2014, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Well I wonder because there are dozens of bolt actions that can outshoot the 15-22 if your only benchrest shooting. IMO the 15-22 is light so you can offhand shoot.
However I love my 15-22 and I bet you love yours.
Have fun and shoot straight.
I would say the actions just a bit looser, maybe the barrel?, because my Marlin 60 is more accurate. That being said, the marlin will jam up easily if it gets just a tiny bit dirty or doesn't like the ammo, but the 15-22 eats anything.

I'd rather sacrifice a little bit of accuracy for reliability. At least under certain circumstances.
Old 10-03-2014, 10:08 PM

My Ruger 10/22 is the most unreliable and jam prone firearm I own. Of course it's over 30 years old and has probably 100k through it.
Old 10-03-2014, 11:08 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

My 1522 is for shooting offhand. When I shoot from the bench I shoot bench guns. I'm just funny that way...
Old 10-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I mostly shoot now with my 10 round shorty magazines. I've gotten used to the fuel savings ( rounds ) that they deliver since the only new ammo I have seen in 6 months is sub sonic. I'm on my way to the gun show to get some bricks of 22.
Old 10-09-2014, 11:50 PM
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default CCI Standard Velocity

The best I've gotten out of 15/22 at 50 yards scoped is 1.5"-2.5" with CCI Standard Velocity. At 100 yards I'm at 3.5-4". By way of comparison, my Savage FV-SR is within 2" @ 100 yards all day long on a calm day. So...When I want precision I use the Savage. When I want 25 rounds at my disposal as fast as I can pull the trigger, it's the M&P all day long!!

Last edited by backpacker21; 10-09-2014 at 11:54 PM.