Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 11-25-2014, 04:36 PM
Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie  
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default Another UK newbie

Hi All

I thought it's about time I made my first post to the forum. I'm based in Brighton on the south coast of England and have had my 15-22 MOE for about 3 months now. I use it at the local range, along with my Anschutz 1417, but hoping to do some more tactical-type shooting sometime soon.

It's a great, fun little gun and I'm looking forward to becoming more acquainted with it.

Cheers
Mycroft
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM

Liked 535 Times in 431 Posts

Hello Mycroft, welcome to the forum.
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM
Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie Another UK newbie  
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Hi and welcome to the madness

I look forward to watching your madness take hold

And the build come together.

Let's see some pics of your latest soon to be obsession

Anything I can do to help or pointers I can offer feel free

Parts and go faster bits are many with some easier to get than others if you know where to look.

Rob
Old 11-25-2014, 05:14 PM
Liked 190 Times in 113 Posts

Welcome to the forum. Always glad to make new friends from across the atlantic.
Old 11-25-2014, 06:40 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Thanks for the welcome messages. Here she is:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P9280010resize.jpg (148.4 KB, 52 views)
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 07:01 PM
US Veteran
Liked 1,922 Times in 1,129 Posts

I've noticed most from the UK have .22 rifles are they easier to get there then center fire rifles.

And a warm from “wild and wonderful “ West Virginia at least that’s what they tell us.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:04 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdnagle View Post
I've noticed most from the UK have .22 rifles are they easier to get there then center fire rifles.

And a warm from “wild and wonderful “ West Virginia at least that’s what they tell us.
Hey gdnagle. There are plenty of people over here who shoot centrefire but I guess 22LR is bound to be more popular as it's cheaper and there are more places you can shoot it. One significant difference is that we can't have semi-auto in calibres larger than 22 .

As you may know, we have to apply for a licence ("firearms certificate" or FAC) from the police which specifies the quantity and calibres of guns we are then allowed to own, plus what they can be used for. I'd guess most police forces would be less inclined to grant an FAC for centrefire unless you already have experience with rimfire.

Btw, I like WV - years ago my car broke down there while driving from Pittsburgh to Seneca Rocks and the locals were very helpful in getting me fixed and on my way!

Last edited by Mycroft; 11-25-2014 at 08:15 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-25-2014, 08:15 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts
Default Greetings from the North

Welcome to your new addiction

S&W M&P 15-22 and an Anschutz 1417 (with thumbhole stock?) then you and I sir are owners of the same rifles. I think we made very good choices I go with the 'Annie' for my league precision comps and have the 15-22 entered in rapid fire comps and it always accompanies me to Mattersey shoots. Did a Los Alamitos match and it was great fun, rifle performed excellently, transitioning from strong to weak shoulder and mag changes was exhilarating and made easy with the 15-22.
This forum has been indispensable for me, the wealth of info and knowledge our countrymen and those from across the pond possess and are willing to share has been really helpful.
I'm sure that soon you too will be cursing ITAR and deliberating over what to hang and where.....or maybe even customising some decagon rail to hang even more stuff from this fantastic rifle.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:27 PM
Liked 609 Times in 325 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

I had a five year assignment for work in Portsmouth (North Harbor), have driven in and around Brighton via the A27 many times.

Rich in Tampa
Old 11-26-2014, 04:17 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Hey gdnagle. There are plenty of people over here who shoot centrefire but I guess 22LR is bound to be more popular as it's cheaper and there are more places you can shoot it. One significant difference is that we can't have semi-auto in calibres larger than 22 .

As you may know, we have to apply for a licence ("firearms certificate" or FAC) from the police which specifies the quantity and calibres of guns we are then allowed to own, plus what they can be used for. I'd guess most police forces would be less inclined to grant an FAC for centrefire unless you already have experience with rimfire.

Btw, I like WV - years ago my car broke down there while driving from Pittsburgh to Seneca Rocks and the locals were very helpful in getting me fixed and on my way!
Hi all

It's also worth a note, even with centre fire experience (30 ish years) of teaching weapon handling and shooting skills my local force still insisted that a .22 is a "good" start to show a steady lead and progression in to centre fire shooting.
Go figure?!?!?

Rob1 (mark).
Old 11-26-2014, 07:30 AM

Recently a UK act was passed that due to 'extremist & terrorism factors' that the police can now make unannounced visits to legal UK firearms holders homes and inspect the safes and guns. In search for those vulnerable or susceptible to extremist views or sympathy for the devil. If given any kind of tip off or have the slightest suspicion. They still have no right of entry unless with a warrant. At least we wont see a 'Boston' over here.
http://basc.org.uk/blog/press-releas...ce-to-members/

Last edited by GhostMutt; 11-26-2014 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-26-2014, 09:11 AM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
Anschutz 1417 (with thumbhole stock?)
Correct! You certainly have discerning taste!
Old 11-26-2014, 10:16 AM
Default Snap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycroft View Post
Correct! You certainly have discerning taste!
I have that Anschutz 2 stage trigger tuned to break at 502g (1.1lb) that's 2 grams over the NRSA legal for entry at Bisley comps and it is the nicest feeling trigger ever, chalk and cheese to the 15-22...until I drop a replacement in
Old 11-26-2014, 06:17 PM
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I can't see myself ever spending big bucks on the 15-22 trigger, but I do have a "JP Enterprises reduced weight trigger spring set" fitted, which should reduce the trigger pull a bit (I had it fitted before I collected the gun from new, so I can't make a before and after comparison).
Old 11-26-2014, 06:20 PM
Liked 254 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
Recently a UK act was passed that due to 'extremist & terrorism factors' that the police can now make unannounced visits to legal UK firearms holders homes and inspect the safes and guns. In search for those vulnerable or susceptible to extremist views or sympathy for the devil. If given any kind of tip off or have the slightest suspicion. They still have no right of entry unless with a warrant. At least we wont see a 'Boston' over here.
Unannounced visits to certificate holders ? BASC advice to members. | The British Association for Shooting and Conservation
New Yorkers should take notice.
Old 11-26-2014, 07:07 PM
Liked 1,123 Times in 366 Posts

Greetings mate

Regards

Thewelshm