Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 11-27-2014, 11:10 PM
Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec  
Liked 151 Times in 86 Posts
Default Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec

Thinking about a Magpul MOE fixed stock for my 15-22 to replace the M4 type stock if they will work on a 15-22. If so do I order the commercial or mil spec version. Also noticed on the Magpul site they do not offer it in black but Midway has the black in stock. I live in CT and my stock is pinned so I would have to have the Magpul pinned as well. I could probably do it but think I will give that task to my lgs.
Old 11-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec Magpul Fixed Stock-Mil or Commercial Spec  
Liked 42 Times in 22 Posts

The 15-22 uses a mil-spec sized stock. As far as pinning it in place, well, I live in Kentucky so I don't really know much about that.
Old 11-28-2014, 12:42 AM
Liked 999 Times in 306 Posts

Don't waste the $. Very easy to do yourself. After all, it is only plastic. Drill and then screw in a very small set screw. Good to Go!
Old 11-28-2014, 03:37 PM
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

I would consider Magpul's Fixed Carbine Stock instead of the MOE (or CTR). I've used both on my 15-22, and I find that the FCS offers a much better cheek weld than the telescoping varieties.

You will need to make a notch in the bottom of your stock tube to allow the cross screw to fit. A 1/4" rattail file was a perfect solution on mine.

And of course, get the milspec and not the commercial.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:50 PM

The fixed carbine stock is what I meant to say and since its a fixed and not collapsible type I dont think I would need to have it pinned. Now the problem is getting that tiny roll pin out. The pin is hollow but not pinned all the way through the stock (blind hole) plus to make it tougher, its in one of the hollow recesses in the stock.Anyone know a good method or had sucess getting this little bugger out.
Old 11-28-2014, 10:52 PM
Liked 153 Times in 88 Posts

Drill an access hole slightly larger on the opposite or blind side and then you can tap it out with a small pin punch.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 11-28-2014, 10:54 PM
Liked 999 Times in 306 Posts

I've been told that of you start to drill into the roll pin with a bit just slightly larger than the roll pin, as soon as the drill bites in, you can just stop and pull it out with the drill/drill bit.
Old 11-29-2014, 12:19 AM
Liked 91 Times in 50 Posts

Just for the record, when I hooked up my NJ-compliant version (when I lived in NJ as I had my life until recently) in 2010, I used a ton of super glue to just epoxy the new Magpul MOE stock to the extension tube, and even put a few drops into the stock action to prevent it from even trying to adjust.

the good news is, it came out *ROCK SOLID* and I mean, a gunsmith said, I could not have done a better job by pinning it professionally. The bad news is, it's pretty much as permanent as the word means.
Old 11-29-2014, 11:17 AM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10mmauto View Post
I've been told that of you start to drill into the roll pin with a bit just slightly larger than the roll pin, as soon as the drill bites in, you can just stop and pull it out with the drill/drill bit.
The pin is too tight, in most installations, for this to work. Didn't work on any of the three I have purchased. Drilling from the opposite side and tapping the pin out with a punch took about three minutes.
Old 11-30-2014, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MostlyHarmless View Post
I would consider Magpul's Fixed Carbine Stock instead of the MOE (or CTR). I've used both on my 15-22, and I find that the FCS offers a much better cheek weld than the telescoping varieties.

You will need to make a notch in the bottom of your stock tube to allow the cross screw to fit. A 1/4" rattail file was a perfect solution on mine.

And of course, get the milspec and not the commercial.
Could you please post a pic of your Magpul fixed carbine stock on your 15-22.
Old 11-30-2014, 09:11 PM

Took Majorlks advice and drilled from the opposite side. Popped right out using a punch. Thanks!
Old 12-01-2014, 01:31 AM
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
Default I have or had that stock

I had one on one of my 15-22s. I am currently in the process of removing it for another build idea with this particular rifle. I live in TX so I can't speak about the pinning issue however I do recall having to mod the small piece that fits up toward where the castle nut would usually be on a big brother AR. Sorry I don't remember exactly what I had to do but once you start you'll probably see what I'm talking about. My memory isn't what I'd like it to be. LOL. I also have a picture of this rifle with this style stock in the pic thread. I believe around page 89-92 somewhere in there. It is under my user name and is attached as a small thumbnail. I'd repost but I'm not sure how to do that. Again probably showing my lack of IT skills. I've always been a "field" type of guy.
Old 12-01-2014, 01:39 AM
Wink Found it

Post #4455 on page 90 in pic thread
Old 12-01-2014, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTEK View Post
Post #4455 on page 90 in pic thread
Found the pic. Looks good. Just placed an order with Midway for one. Ordered the extended butt pad as well. May not need it but at least I will have it. The only mod I think I need is to make a channel for the pin that tightens the stock to the buffer extension. Thanks.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:15 PM
Smile

Oooooooh yeah, that's what it was!! A channel for the tension bolt. Haha. Anyhow....hope it works out and you like it
Old 12-14-2014, 06:08 PM
Default Magpul Fixed Stock

Here is my 15-22 with the Magpul fixed stock installed. Pretty easy to do. Just slipped the stock on, painted the tip of the screw with water based paint as a marker If you do this keep the stock on the tube for a while otherwise the paint will smear when you take the stock off. Make a small hole in the center of your paint dot as a pilot for the first drill. Started by drilling through with a 1/16 drill and worked up to the 1/4 inch. Then finishing off with a rat tail file. Stock is now rock solid on the rifle. Also put a little blue loc tite on the screw threads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Magpul Stock 004.jpg (56.0 KB, 78 views)
Old 12-15-2014, 06:30 AM
Liked 354 Times in 161 Posts

Magpul makes an enhanced buttpad for the fixed carbine stock that will give you a bit more length of pull (and help tame that awful recoil) if you need it as the stock is quite short. I believe it is the MAG 350 if my brain still functions.
Old 12-15-2014, 08:57 AM

Contacted Magpul directly and a enhanced butt pad is on the way.