Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-27-2015, 08:56 AM

Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Default Modifications - Beginner’s Guide?

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any advice on some of the top modifcations and if somebody could explain a couple that I've seen by reading the forum and looking in the "post a picture" thread.

My main one is the charging handle - I see a lot of different ones but having the standard one I can't ascertain the benefit of swapping it out (seems to do the job and it's lightweight).

Is there any benefit to adding rail covers other than if you want to shoot gripping the rail or don't want it to get snagged when boxing/unboxing?

I can see that a few people are swapping the safety and mag. release too... I've had very little issue with these but I'm left-handed so if anything I've found them to in ideal locations for me...

I have the MOE with a red-dot and T-POD G2 grip but what other bits and pieces are good (and easy to fit for a novice)?
Old 02-27-2015, 09:02 AM

Liked 17,200 Times in 7,303 Posts

Rail covers also protect the rails....somewhat.

Charging handles offer ambidextrous release or extended release or both. This way you, as a lefty, don't have to grab the handle with with 2 fingers and reach over. You could charge it like it was a bolt handle. Think Garand, FAL, G3, AK.....only on the left

Last edited by Arik; 02-27-2015 at 09:05 AM.
Old 02-27-2015, 12:09 PM

Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

I had a full thing prepared...but then read that you are left handed.....BAD lever...best addition I've made, would make little to no improvement for a lefty, so erm... the latch on an after-market charging handle allows you to charge one handed even if your scope extends, making it difficult to charge with 'two fingers', plus the after market ones look better(subjective i know) and are generally aluminium, so they feel better as well. I have a Plinker tactical and love it, would like to swap for a doomsday or South African one, but other things first.

Rail covers add a bit of protection and also a nice colour contrast, some improve grip.

You can get pretty much anything if you can defeat the evil ITAR wizard at the end of the level...hehe. From a full handguard swap out, trigger replacement, barrel shroud, ambi safety, oversized mag release, anti walk pins, even little grip extend floorplates for your mags.

Looking at the picture thread on here is like proper eye candy for some of the amazing things you can do to this rifle.

Like i said earlier the BAD lever is the best addition i have made, but no use to you...the first lefty who shot mine turned to me, smiled and said "oohh that is a nice position for the bolt release", also swapping out the uncomfortable and rather drab grip is another good move....you might think "its pretty much the same" until you actually grip another one and realise the world of difference...i have a Hogue and know that it is very well thought of by many on this forum....but people like the Ergo and Magpul variants as well.

Last edited by GhostMutt; 02-27-2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:36 PM

Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

part of the fun is in tracking down difficult to obtain parts

for our rifles here in England.as you know we cant just pop

down to Asda(walmart) for bits

this eye candy would be good for a leftie

keith
Old 02-27-2015, 05:00 PM

Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Before you start throwing money at your new toy, put a couple of thousand rounds through it in the factory configuration, including sights, to get a feel for what you might really like to change.

You can easily throw away several hundreds of dollars on do-dads that look cool, but actually do nothing worthwhile. 99 percent of all owners, including me, have been down that path and have a box full of such mistakes.
The Following 5 Users Like Post: