Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 02-28-2015, 03:40 PM
Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found.  
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts
Default Another loose barrel found.

Hey guys. Add me to the list of owners with a loose barrel nut. Of course I did not even know there was a problem. No symptoms had been noticed. I am the second owner. Thanks to the forum and all that have contributed information about this issue and how to check it! I guess later when the groups got bad I would have been perplexed about what was wrong without the forum. Nice to correct this sooner than later.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 04:13 PM
Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found.  
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

I went through all kinds of mental dilemmas trying to work out what was up with mine and why 3 shots would go within mm of each other and one would go an inch away...after i tightened my 'loose' barrel nut....the only fliers i get now are purely down to the operator
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 04:30 PM

GhostMutt when we have a bad day at the range we can always say, "Must be that loose barrel nut again". Thus, our shooting reputation is not harmed. lol
Old 02-28-2015, 04:32 PM
Liked 1,602 Times in 538 Posts

How do you fix the problem?
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 02-28-2015, 04:47 PM

Check out the Notable Thread Index on DIY barrel nut wrench. You just tighten the barrel nut with a home made wrench or you can purchase a wrench.
Old 02-28-2015, 06:50 PM
Liked 42 Times in 27 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by StobleCL View Post
Check out the Notable Thread Index on DIY barrel nut wrench. You just tighten the barrel nut with a home made wrench or you can purchase a wrench.
Look @: eBay or brownells or taticool and buy one of these tools, all around $28, YMMV
Old 02-28-2015, 07:18 PM
Liked 4,804 Times in 1,536 Posts

Besides cutting costs, I don't what warrants the change to the new barrel design.
Seems like another "answer" to a problem that never existed. Now we've got one more thing to go wrong!
Old 02-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6string View Post
Besides cutting costs, I don't what warrants the change to the new barrel design.
Seems like another "answer" to a problem that never existed. Now we've got one more thing to go wrong!
What new barrel design? I'm unaware of any such change to the 15-22. Nothing has been posted on this forum that I have seen.

Last edited by Majorlk; 02-28-2015 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:54 PM
Liked 485 Times in 239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macinaw View Post
How do you fix the problem?
Tighten the barrel nut.
Old 03-01-2015, 01:02 AM
Liked 1,602 Times in 538 Posts

[QUOTE=dullh;138412536]Tighten the barrel nut.[/QUOTE

Thanks! Your reply helps?

To everyone else; Thank you! I have located the part to fix the problem.
Old 03-02-2015, 09:05 PM
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Some of the barrel nut wrenches won't fit over the Performance Center model's larger OD barrel, like the Shooboy. Not sure which model you've got, but beware if you've got a P/C 15-22.

Last edited by REARSPROCKET; 03-02-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:18 AM
Another loose barrel found. Another loose barrel found.  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REARSPROCKET View Post
Some of the barrel nut wrenches won't fit over the Performance Center model's larger OD barrel, like the Shooboy. Not sure which model you've got, but beware if you've got a P/C 15-22.
The Tacticool barrel nut wrench will fit the PC barrel if you need one.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:26 PM

The H&W Steel one does as well after opening up the two-piece polyurethane bushing with a dremel. Linky --> H & W Steel, Inc. 337-625-6828
Old 03-04-2015, 03:39 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

Our barrel nut wrench fits over every barrel and the flash hider too.
Don't forget to use barrel vise jaws (or some other thing) to hold the barrel when you loosen or tighten the barrel nut or you can ruin the upper and even the bolt guide rails.
Not too expensive a fix, but not worth breaking something when there is a solution to not do that.
Old 03-04-2015, 09:52 PM

I have a question on the Tacticool wrench, does it have a guide to protect the barrel finish and keep the tool straight and aligned ?
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 PM
US Veteran

None of the wrenches need guides. Our wrench is aluminum, so you don't have to worry about dings or scratches unless you do something terribly wrong.
Straight and aligned is taken care of by the 4 fingers that force everything to be centered at that end. Being a little careful and eyeballing the barrel keeps the barrel in the center at the wrench end.
I have never heard of anybody having any difficulty and we have never had a wrench returned.
Too much engineering for a non-issue really.
Old 03-05-2015, 12:23 AM
Liked 532 Times in 271 Posts

Is this something that should be checked on a 15-22 new right out of the box? Just check it with your hand to see if it is snug? Or should you see how it shoots first.
Old 03-05-2015, 03:58 AM
US Veteran

It wouldn't hurt to check it right out of the box, then put a paint mark for a visual reference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterdeb View Post
Is this something that should be checked on a 15-22 new right out of the box? Just check it with your hand to see if it is snug? Or should you see how it shoots first.
Old 09-10-2015, 09:18 PM
US Veteran
Liked 394 Times in 129 Posts

All the wrenches for the 15-22 differ slightly yet they all do a great job of maintaining your rifle. It's nice to have choices. I do also advise you guys to use barrel vise jaws like the fine set made by tacticool22. Jody's stuff is some of the best out there, thanks, Shoo

Last edited by shooboy; 09-11-2015 at 06:06 PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 09:43 AM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Both are fine wrenches and used by a great many 15-22 owners here.

If manufactures wish to discuss their products with each other they can do it via PM.
Old 09-11-2015, 06:02 PM
US Veteran
Liked 394 Times in 129 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Both are fine wrenches and used by a great many 15-22 owners here.

If manufactures wish to discuss their products with each other they can do it via PM.
You're absolutely correct Phil and I apologize for not contacting Jody directly through a PM. That has been done and all is well, thank you, Randy
Old 09-13-2015, 09:42 PM
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

I think I have a lose barrel nut. I dropped mine off at gun smith. It is easier for me to let some one else fix it while my Nikon scope is off for warrantee repairs or re-placement
Old 09-13-2015, 11:01 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsemt911 View Post
I think I have a lose barrel nut. I dropped mine off at gun smith. It is easier for me to let some one else fix it while my Nikon scope is off for warrantee repairs or re-placement
Make sure your gunsmith knows that you can't clamp a 15-22 receiver in a vice to tighten the barrel nut. You must clamp the barrel. If he clamps the receiver, the odds are that he will strip the barrel seat in it, necessitating a trip to S&W for a new one.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:02 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by emsemt911 View Post
It is easier for me to let some one else fix it while my Nikon scope is off for warrantee repairs or re-placement
It is only easier if you don't have the tool. I'm of the belief all should have the tools to disassemble the rifle. You can either make your own barrel nut wrench or can purchase one... as I did from Tacticool22.

I have used mine many times, including when I switched around barrels when deciding which barrel length I wanted as well as when I changed handguards. However I find the greatest use for when I clean. There are so many nooks & crannies where the barrel mates to the receiver that are extremely hard to get to. I have found it is much easier to clean with the barrel off. When you take the barrel off you will find all these areas that you missed with normal cleaning. Other advantage is you always know that the nut is on properly... not too loose & not too tight. I doubt if all gunsmiths understand the specs when attaching to a polymer receiver. As the Major said, it has been documented here where gunsmiths have ruined 15-22s. Since it looks like an AR, some treat it as such... and that ain't a good thing.
Old 09-17-2015, 05:29 PM
Liked 25 Times in 20 Posts

the nut on my rifle was so lose i didnt even have to Turn it hard to remove it i need to check my brothers nut soon to make sure its not lose asell

I Dont need to worry about the Nut Thing anymore i just Finished a Free Float Handgaurd Mod for my Rifle
Old 09-19-2015, 05:16 AM
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
I went through all kinds of mental dilemmas trying to work out what was up with mine and why 3 shots would go within mm of each other and one would go an inch away...after i tightened my 'loose' barrel nut....the only fliers i get now are purely down to the operator
I have a feeling that I may have the same problem .
While testing some ammo recently, I had the guns forend resting on sandbags I noticed the groups changed depending on how much downward pressure I used. Cheers
Old 09-19-2015, 08:49 AM
Banned
Liked 131 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
I have a feeling that I may have the same problem .
While testing some ammo recently, I had the guns forend resting on sandbags I noticed the groups changed depending on how much downward pressure I used. Cheers
Do you still have the end cap installed on the handguard?
Old 09-19-2015, 12:31 PM
Default Hi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
Do you still have the end cap installed on the handguard?
Hi yes its still just on the the forend, I have added some goodies to the gun but but not touched the front end. Cheers
Old 09-19-2015, 03:10 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecutter View Post
Hi yes its still just on the the forend, I have added some goodies to the gun but but not touched the front end. Cheers
As far as i am aware you can remove the endcap without it having any effect on the gun at all, it is to stop 'mud' and 'stuff' from entering the handguard (i think) which of course happens on a daily basis when crawling around in the jungles of south east asia.
The endcap touching the barrel with pressure i think could effect barrel harmonics which could result in fliers but if you are going to remove the endcap then get/make a barrel nut tool and give that nut a tightening. It can only help and is a useful tool to have anyway.
After tightening mine and finding an ammo that my 15-22 liked, my fliers are my fault.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
As far as i am aware you can remove the endcap without it having any effect on the gun at all, it is to stop 'mud' and 'stuff' from entering the handguard (i think) which of course happens on a daily basis when crawling around in the jungles of south east asia.
The endcap touching the barrel with pressure i think could effect barrel harmonics which could result in fliers but if you are going to remove the endcap then get/make a barrel nut tool and give that nut a tightening. It can only help and is a useful tool to have anyway.
After tightening mine and finding an ammo that my 15-22 liked, my fliers are my fault.
I guess I will have to get a barrel nut tool & vise jaws & have a go at it. Cheers
Old 09-22-2015, 03:56 PM
US Veteran

And keep the hand guard end cap in your parts drawer.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:51 PM
Liked 66 Times in 40 Posts

ordered a wrench myself from tacticool as i feel i might have the same problem. I noticed on lmy last range trip that the groups opened up. I would get some nice tight groups then a few fliers. then a nice tight group but off (zerod scope again) and the same pattern of tight flyers then tight but off center.Was wondering how tight should the barrel be? I don't want to over tighten it.
Old 09-28-2015, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by capx28 View Post
Was wondering how tight should the barrel be? I don't want to over tighten it.
I don't use a torque wrench but just tighten using 2 fingers. As you said, you don't want to over tighten.

IMO, if you tighten so much that you need to put a wrench on the end of the barrel nut tool to get it loose again, then you've gone too far. I can firmly grab the end of the wrench with my hand to loosen my barrel nut. That may seem too loose for some but I've never had the barrel nut back off any after prolonged shooting.
Old 09-28-2015, 03:58 PM
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts

So someone jumped in my post about a new barrel. Saying S&W needs to do it for headspace.

How can everyone take their barrel out if the guy is right in my thread?
Old 09-28-2015, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire75 View Post
So someone jumped in my post about a new barrel. Saying S&W needs to do it for headspace.

How can everyone take their barrel out if the guy is right in my thread?
Question is, is that guy correct? All kinds of info online... some correct, some wrong. Guess you need to figure out who is correct.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
Question is, is that guy correct? All kinds of info online... some correct, some wrong. Guess you need to figure out who is correct.

Thats kinda what I am asking. I think he is wrong. But it would be nice to hear from all the people that have taken their barrel out.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:38 PM

I'm not here to say anyone is wrong. Just know ARs & 15-22s are made to be user disassembled. My barrel has been swapped out, removed for cleaning & removed for getting cut down... all told multiple times. I've never heard of headspace issues when putting these barrels back on.
Old 09-28-2015, 05:47 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

I just hand tighten mine.... no vice.

A bit of historical trivia---

Before Shooboy and Tacticool22 were offering proper steel wrenches, we were using PVC and cutting out the fingers to fit in the barrel nut. A bit crude, but necessity is the mother of invention, right? Anyway... I think most folks found that the barrel nut isn't torqued too much from the factory whatever spec (if there is a spec) might be.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:22 AM
US Veteran

The closest thing I have gotten for a "factory spec" is 20 foot pounds.
-
Head space is determined by the cutout in the bolt for rim fire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Headspace Rimfire.jpg (27.6 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Headspace Straight.jpg (35.7 KB, 32 views)
File Type: gif Headspace Necked Round.gif (4.6 KB, 19 views)