Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-07-2015, 10:05 AM
What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using?  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default What scope or red dot are you using?

I'm looking for a scope for my 15-22 and I want to hear your recommendations.

Appreciate all your input, great web site.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM
What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using?  
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts

Nikon P22, I love mine
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-07-2015, 10:10 AM
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts

Depends on what you're doing with the rifle. I'm shooting at targets so I like to alternate between a 6-20x40 Weaver GS and a UltraDot MatchDot II red dot that I keep on 2 MOA. I would not recommend the scope for tactical or hunting purposes, of course. The MatchDot is flexible enough, however, that there is likely a setting for any type of shooting (except your situational awareness would be better with a reflex style). Also, depending on the distances you'll be shooting (and the money you want to spend) you may want parallax adjustment. You definitely need to state how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for in order to get good recommendations.

Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 03-07-2015 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

Sound advice from Scooby there....also buy cheap/pay twice!

I have an MTC viper connect as my primary optic and an angled 45 mount mini red dot sight, for giggles

All depends on what you want to use it for
Old 03-07-2015, 12:10 PM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Primary Arms Micro with a ADM t-1

Primary Arms 1-4 with a PEPR

I've owned lots of Primary Arms products. They are my favorite budget optics I've tried so far and they have the absolute best customer service on the planet. Marshall Lerner for president!

Last edited by Gopher Slayer; 03-08-2015 at 04:34 PM. Reason: I guess I should add some info about the optics I use. lol
Old 03-07-2015, 01:22 PM
Liked 445 Times in 188 Posts

My rifle is primarily used for speed steel. I run a C-More.
Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Liked 439 Times in 233 Posts

UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32. It's the only cheap scope I have, but it's been fine for use on a 22.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:24 PM
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts

TRS-25 red dot and a leupold ultralight 3x9 and its almost as light as the rds.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:55 PM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

NC Star SRT scope. Works great.

KBK
Old 03-07-2015, 04:15 PM
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Optisan Cobra 3-9x42AO or Bushnell TRS-25
Irons are Troy HK front with .050 front post

Last edited by REARSPROCKET; 04-22-2015 at 08:09 PM.
Old 03-07-2015, 08:42 PM
Liked 20 Times in 9 Posts

Stock iron sights with a White Oak hooded aperture.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:50 PM
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Default TruGlo

Going to be our speed steel carbine. Using a TruGlo red/green dot sight.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:27 AM

Liked 130 Times in 76 Posts

Ultra-Dot, match dot.
Old 03-08-2015, 12:33 AM
US Veteran
Liked 3,996 Times in 1,627 Posts

ON MY 8 3/8" 617 AND 686 REVOLVERS, I FAVOR THE ULTRADOT, 30MM RED DOT. THOSE LONG BARRELS SHOOT LIKE RIFLES………..
Old 03-08-2015, 01:20 AM
Liked 2,492 Times in 1,182 Posts

Cant think of the model designation right now but it's a Tru Glo red/green dot that has a reticule virtually identical to the one on my EoTech 512 that I have on my S&W AR-15. Makes the 15-22 an even better training tool.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:21 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

I run an EoTech EXPS3-4 with G33 or if I want to switch around a little an ACOG TA01 which will allow for just about any type of use you could think of.
Not a cheap way to do it by a long shot but both genuine rigs mean best possible option can be swapped out swiftly to suit what you want to do.

My only advice would be stay away from ultra cheap stuff. Will just cost more in long run. Can't speak for Chinese copy stuff as never used or picked one up.

That's my two pennies worth. Hope it helps.

Rob.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:35 AM
Liked 783 Times in 390 Posts

For a red dot an Aimpoint H1/T1/T2 is the best. Eotech XPS/EXPS is good too and I use both but my top choice would be the Aimpoint T1 the T2 is a bit over engineered and the H1/T1 have great aftermarket silicone covers from Tango Down. The Aimpoint is much quicker and easier to focus the red dot too. Never had a washout with the Aimpoint either, the Eotech is susceptible but you get a wider view with the Eotech and it looks cooler I won't mention the batteries
Old 03-08-2015, 06:22 AM
Liked 901 Times in 384 Posts

I recently purchased a Bushnell TRS 32. I have been pleased with the quality so far, especially considering I got it for $48.99 and free shipping. They are priced $150 on gander mountains website and everywhere in between other places. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the link to them.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:04 AM
Liked 166 Times in 85 Posts

I probably know where you got them. I picked up 3 myself for that price. For my purposes they are perfect.
Old 03-08-2015, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoast View Post
I probably know where you got them. I picked up 3 myself for that price. For my purposes they are perfect.
I only picked up 1 because I was unsure of the quality and also concerned about why they were selling them for less then half the price of other places, but after receiving it all my concerns were washed away and I'm thinking about picking up another one. It's a great red dot and a great price, plus it comes with a riser that co-witnesses perfect on my ar. By the time you bought a cheap red dot for $30 at walmart and then have to buy a riser, you would be out more money then on this deal.
Old 03-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Liked 144 Times in 69 Posts

I use a Tasco RD22 on my 747 Daisy air pistol.No recoil but rated for use up to 357 mag.Bright in the sunniest days. The RD 30 used a fixed weaver mount . $32
Old 03-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Liked 144 Times in 69 Posts
Default Red Dot Tasco 22

My Daisy 747 with Tasco RD22
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10394531_792902334107734_3323375192081788903_n.jpg (61.3 KB, 82 views)
Old 03-08-2015, 11:08 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
Depends on what you're doing with the rifle. ...... Also, depending on the distances you'll be shooting (and the money you want to spend) .... You definitely need to state how much you want to spend and what you are going to use it for in order to get good recommendations.
Those are good questions.

Mostly will use for target shooting less than 100 yds. Can't see hunting with it too much as it's just a 22LR, but ya never know.
How much to spend? I'd say no more than $125 max.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:12 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Bug Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMaineEvent View Post
UTG Bug Buster 3-9x32. It's the only cheap scope I have, but it's been fine for use on a 22.
Have you had good performance with yours? The reviews on line are mixed. They look good.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:13 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbgunner88 View Post
I recently purchased a Bushnell TRS 32. I have been pleased with the quality so far, especially considering I got it for $48.99 and free shipping. They are priced $150 on gander mountains website and everywhere in between other places. If anyone is interested let me know and I will post the link to them.
Sounds like the TRS lineup is pretty popular.
Please post the link.
Old 03-08-2015, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadman View Post
Sounds like the TRS lineup is pretty popular.
Please post the link.
Free shipping over $50 so unless it charges you tax where you live, it will be a little under. Look under thier $9.99 or less catagory and they have some pouches for $2.99, so that's what I did to get the total a little over $50. https://tigeroutfitters.com/bushnell...ser-mount.html
Old 03-08-2015, 01:32 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Do you know enough to know if you want a 1x red dot, low power magnification 1-4x, or 9x and over?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-08-2015, 08:32 PM
Liked 485 Times in 239 Posts

Nikon P223 3x32 scope - short body, 3x magnification...it's great!

Old 03-09-2015, 05:53 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Do you know enough to know if you want a 1x red dot, low power magnification 1-4x, or 9x and over?
Figuring out what I want is part of the decision I guess. I'm leaning toward the red dot sight, but I worry about a battery dying on me, then I have to rely on bkup sights. A scope is accurate, and I like the Nikon P22. But they're also slower to target and this is after all a 22 carbine that is just not intended to be a tight grouping rifle (I know, I know, some of you guys have had great results. That's not my point.)
So, that's where I'm at right now.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:01 AM
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

I have a generic eBay 2x red dot... Cheap and cheerful, but I think it suits the rifle well and it's working great given the price.

I'd gladly spend more on a nice scope and it'd be fantastic to see what kind of groups I could get out of it but I don't think I've seen one with the same kind of "tactical" appearance, does anyone know of any? Relatively short bodied, maybe with rails?

... I deeply apologise for being a poser, I just love the way it looks right now

Old 03-09-2015, 09:32 AM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Figuring out what I want is part of the decision I guess. I'm leaning toward the red dot sight, but I worry about a battery dying on me, then I have to rely on bkup sights. A scope is accurate, and I like the Nikon P22. But they're also slower to target and this is after all a 22 carbine that is just not intended to be a tight grouping rifle (I know, I know, some of you guys have had great results. That's not my point.)
If you'd prefer not to have to rely on a battery, want some magnification and still fast target acquisition, you might consider a variable power 1-4x. Primary Arms and Bushnell as well as others make them for an AR and priced in line with your budget.
Old 03-09-2015, 10:03 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I removed my backup sights, as I found I never used them. Battery life is not a big issue for me, as this is not my home defense gun. That being said, I keep spare batteries for my optics in the grip for all my ARs & 15-22s. I use the Magpul + grip on all, so if my optic goes down, a battery change is no big deal. Also, if battery life is an issue, then look at the Aimpoint Pro. I have several of them & the battery lasts for years with the optic kept on. Sure, it is a lot of optic for a 15-22 but I love great optics. One of my 15-22s uses an Eotech & the other uses the Aimpoint Pro.

I prefer a red dot over a magnified scope. Like you said, acquisition is quicker with one. Besides that, I seldom shoot beyond 100 yards, with most shooting done within 50. I find the best compromise is a red dot with a 3x flip to side magnifier. At the distances I shoot, 3x is more than enough when I really want to get a tight grouping, such as when zeroing a new optic. This way, I can add or remove the magnifier without worrying about my zero, and when on and not needed, it can be flipped to the side... out of the way. Primary Arms makes a real nice magnifier & mount.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:02 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Nikon P22 scope and a cheap Field Sport Red and Green Reflex Sight with 4 Reticles I picked up off Amazon that works rather well. I like to swap them out depending on my shooting.
Old 03-10-2015, 11:06 AM
Liked 8,135 Times in 3,678 Posts

Red dot sight is a Millet SP-1, 3 min. dot, 1 inch tube.
Old 03-10-2015, 06:23 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Has anyone tried Vortex Crossfire II?

Old 03-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullh View Post
Nikon P223 3x32 scope - short body, 3x magnification...it's great!

I agree, this is a great scope. I have mine on my Sig Sauer M400. When I added the scope to my Sig, I moved my Sig Sauer red dot to the M&P 15-22, and it's awesome there. 25, 50, 100 yards, it gets the job done.
Old 03-12-2015, 07:47 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm running an Aimpoint Pro on my BCM rifle.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:11 PM
US Veteran
Liked 2,763 Times in 683 Posts

I Use a Aimpoint patrol rifle optic on my Ruger SR. 762 for shorter ranges and and a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 if I want to reach out a ways. Perhaps a bit of overkill for a 22 but I just love good scopes.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:27 PM
Liked 248 Times in 127 Posts

This is what I have on mine. Very nice, but discontinued now. It co-witnesses with my Magpul BUIS

Nikon Monarch VSD Red Dot Sight 30mm Tube 1x Variable Sized Dot (1 4 6

MagPul MBUS Gen 2 Flip-Up Front Sight Handguard Height AR-15 Polymer

MagPul MBUS Gen 2 Flip-Up Rear Sight AR-15 Polymer
Old 03-12-2015, 08:40 PM
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

This is a 15-22 correct? Not a M&P 15 5.56 rifle?

I ask because I see people telling you to get a Eotech EXPS 3.2 with a g-33 magnifier??? As in $1200 worth of optics for a 22 AR? You could buy 2 - 15-22 and some mags for the cost of that optic setup for a 22 rifle with a 16inch low end barrel. Or at T1/T2??? Honestly those are total over kill. Seriously any decent red dot or scope designed for a 22 would work. I would NOT spend a lot of money on it.

On my 15-22 I have a TRS-25, its 3 years old and I am on the second 2032 battery? It has been perfect, no issues. I have the mid height UTG riser on it right now.

My 15-22 is a trainer gun for myself and my sons. We do not baby the gun or the optic at all. It gets dropped, bumped, not cleaned a lot. I have spray painted it with Krylon, touched it up. I would not call the setup disposable but if I break it training with it I am ok with that. We run drills with it until the we get the drill down, the mechanics of it. Then we run the same drill with our 5.56 rifles.

My M&P 15's and BCM's that is a different story. I was an Eotech guy for while, but after having issues on both units, even dimming issues with my XPS 2.0 from gas leaking, I am all Aimpoint now. I personally prefer the COMP M4s on a Laure mount over the T1, bigger tube I guess plus the AA battery for 8 years. I take much better care of those rifles, clean them after I use them etc.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:07 PM
Liked 68 Times in 35 Posts

Just got the same Aimpoint for my LE6920 - zeroed it last weekend and so far I love it! That being said - it's the first optic I've used so my opinion matters very little in the grand scheme of things but throwing in my two cents regardless

Quote:
Originally Posted by grover99 View Post
I Use a Aimpoint patrol rifle optic on my Ruger SR. 762 for shorter ranges and and a Nikon Prostaff 4x12 if I want to reach out a ways. Perhaps a bit of overkill for a 22 but I just love good scopes.
Old 03-12-2015, 09:43 PM
Liked 462 Times in 225 Posts
Default Scopes

Ultra Dot and Leupold scopes. They are the best for the money.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGT_Lindy View Post
This is a 15-22 correct? Not a M&P 15 5.56 rifle?
I don't understand your point. Is there some rule about how expensive an optic you can put on a gun? The optic can't cost more than the gun? Is that the rule?

Guess I'm glad I'm a nonconformist. I don't care for arbitrary rules set by others. If I followed this rule, guess I wouldn't be shooting suppressed, as that Sparrow & stamp ran me $600... double what I paid for my last 15-22. Heck, the handguard I'm putting on my SBR 15-22 costs almost as much as the gun & lets not even talk about the $200 stamp for the SBR. Sure don't want to talk about the money I put into all my accessories.

I have found it best not to judge what others do with their firearms, as long as they are safe.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I am a fan of eotech. Not cheap, but makes the scary looking piece even scarier.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:09 PM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
I don't understand your point. Is there some rule about how expensive an optic you can put on a gun? The optic can't cost more than the gun? Is that the rule?

Guess I'm glad I'm a nonconformist. I don't care for arbitrary rules set by others. If I followed this rule, guess I wouldn't be shooting suppressed, as that Sparrow & stamp ran me $600... double what I paid for my last 15-22. Heck, the handguard I'm putting on my SBR 15-22 costs almost as much as the gun & lets not even talk about the $200 stamp for the SBR. Sure don't want to talk about the money I put into all my accessories.

I have found it best not to judge what others do with their firearms, as long as they are safe.
I think what he is saying is that putting $600 worth of optics on a rifle that has a hard time doing 2 MOA is overkill. If your rifle could do .5 MOA then the better the scope likely the better you could get with it. Most serious rifle shoots usually buy an optic that comes close to the cost of the rifle because they need that for that kind of purpose. My LR .308 has a $1000 Bushnell Elite Tactical scope on it which is about the least expensive scope you can buy with the performance capable of reaching 1000 yards. Most of my .22 rifles including my 15-22s have C-Mores, Truglos, or BSA Sweet .22 scopes on them. they are as good as the rifles are so anything more expensive is pretty much overkill. If I set my 15-22 up as a trainer I put a $150 1-4x28 tactical scope on it. Not the same as the $400 ones on my 3-gun rifle but it does the job of practice. When shooting speed steel I put a good reflex red dot on usually a C-More which is the one the pros use, around $200. And more that that is not going to make you any better unless you need exactly the optic that is on a duty weapon.
Old 03-12-2015, 11:31 PM
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post

Not judging or setting any rules, just giving my 2 cents. Trying to be practical. It is a free country and do what with your money. The OP was asking for advice. My advice will be on the practical side of things aimed at your intended use of the weapon.

I love my 15-22 because when I got it ammo was cheap, like $14.99 for 500 rounds. It also has the same controls at a full size AR. I bought mine for $450 if I remember correctly. All that said its a 22 with just an OK 16 inch barrel.

I buy Aimpoints for my 5.56 rifles because the capability of the optic can match the capability of the weapon. That and they are my go to weapons and I want an optic that will work. I would not use my 15-22 as a go to weapons unless that was all I had. I PERSONALLY think its a waste of money to drop $1200 on optics for a 22 rifle with just an OK barrel and just an Ok trigger. Basically the optic will be 10x more capable than the weapon. For a 22 match rifle, with a barrel and trigger that cost more than a 15-22 each, match it with a nice optic with great glass.

I get if you are into the looks of the weapon vs the use of it. There lots of really decked out 15-22's on this forum that have all kinds of high end parts on them that were originally designed for a 5.56 AR. It makes the weapons look nice for sure, but its not my cup of tea.
Old 03-13-2015, 04:11 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

I'm not gonna dispute what you are saying. However the OP asked "what do you use ".

I simply posted what's on my set up. Eotech 3-4 and G33

As for quality of sight versus rifle. I agree. And will add that I am in the process of buying a 9mm and 5.56. Which will then cross deck the sight between all three. So IMHO an investment well made.

I also have an ACOG that I swap out again not saying he should get one, just that that is what I have and use.

Forward planning and all that.

Rob
Old 03-13-2015, 05:39 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Eotech 512 on 16" and NC star 3x9 on 20"
Old 03-13-2015, 05:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by photoracer View Post
I think what he is saying is that putting $600 worth of optics on a rifle that has a hard time doing 2 MOA is overkill.
I understand that line of reasoning but I still say, so what? So what if my Eotech or Aimpoint Pro is overkill in someone's opinion? The OP asked what we are using. This is not the normal thread on what is the best starter optic for someone.

I consider myself a very logical person and yes, my 15-22s started with TRS-25s. I have 3 of them... one of which resides on my 5.56. It is a great optic and in most applications, all a red dot user could ever need on an AR platform. I just happen to really like fine (better) optics, regardless if they are overkill for some redneck shooting targets in the country. I'm not saying everyone should do as I do. We all have our addictions. Thank goodness mine involves guns & not drugs, alcohol, smoking or gambling.
Old 03-13-2015, 06:15 AM
What scope or red dot are you using? What scope or red dot are you using?  
Liked 449 Times in 285 Posts

At the moment my 15-22's are sporting a 1x and 3x Vortex Spitfire. My PC version is wearing a Nikon 3-9x EFR. Very happy with each one and their intended uses.

I was a big "red dot" fan until my eyes went south, got to have ocular focus and a etched reticle now.