Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-15-2015, 06:16 PM
CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question  
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts
Default CCI ammo question

Just wondering if anyone knows if CCI really is making 4 million rounds a day?
I know there is ammo hoarxing going on ut something doesnt add up!
Old 03-15-2015, 06:41 PM
CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question CCI ammo question  
Liked 485 Times in 239 Posts

I thought this latest installment of ammo hoarders was over for now since 22 ammo is readily available in most areas.

As far as what CCI is cranking out, I haven't the foggiest...
Old 03-15-2015, 07:23 PM

Up here in canada there is only 50 round boxes for $8-10 each and that is bulk ammo.
Elay and sks are 50 cents a round or more
Old 03-15-2015, 07:40 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

They are shipping it all to the UK for us to shoot with
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 07:48 PM
Liked 3,126 Times in 1,326 Posts

There is no supply of .22 on the shelf at all at my local WM (several stores), GM, Cabela's, Bass Pro, or 3 LGS. There is a little of the Aquila colibri at Academy. Maybe they started stocking on the east coast.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:51 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

None here in central Indiana either....
Old 03-15-2015, 07:56 PM
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts

Where is readily available? I haven't seen a single box of 22 in over 4 years. Thankfully I was able to stock up before the hoarders. I'm in south georgia

Last edited by mkess; 03-15-2015 at 07:58 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkess View Post
Where is readily available? I haven't seen a single box of 22 in over 4 years. Thankfully I was able to stock up before the hoarders.
Isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?

I guess if you do it, it is called stocking up... if others do it it is called hoarding.

Me, I take pride in being a hoarder... or stocker.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:24 PM
Liked 1,924 Times in 709 Posts

I had plenty before all this crazy shortage started, so I have not looked much for ammo. I do see some around at various places, but not often. I do not have any clue to answer the OP on production per day but do remember seeing articles of these guys and federal producing in the millions every day. It amazes me where all this ammo is going. I understand you still have these same guys going to wal mart and buying so they can go to flea markets and gun shows and triple their money. One day the shelves will be full again, but I don't know when
Old 03-15-2015, 08:35 PM
Liked 5 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleCooner View Post
I had plenty before all this crazy shortage started, so I have not looked much for ammo. I do see some around at various places, but not often. I do not have any clue to answer the OP on production per day but do remember seeing articles of these guys and federal producing in the millions every day. It amazes me where all this ammo is going. I understand you still have these same guys going to wal mart and buying so they can go to flea markets and gun shows and triple their money. One day the shelves will be full again, but I don't know when
I think you are correct about the buying and re-selling at gun shows. I rarely go, but did venture into one with my son looking for .22's and there were some available, but not quality loads, just the cheaper CCI's...
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts

I was at a sporting good store in Middleburg hts ohio, and they had about 30 sleeves of the 100 round .22LR CCI mini-mags on the shelf for $8.49. This was the first time in 14 months I have seen .22LR on a store shelf.
I still have some .22LR left from the ammo can 1400 round box of CCI .22LR I bought 2 years ago. I have slowed down with the .22LR shooting.
Old 03-15-2015, 08:47 PM
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Around the Atlanta area there's still none to be found unless I want to pay thru the nose, and I don't want to shoot a 22 that bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkess View Post
Where is readily available? I haven't seen a single box of 22 in over 4 years. Thankfully I was able to stock up before the hoarders. I'm in south georgia
Old 03-15-2015, 08:53 PM
Liked 41 Times in 21 Posts

You can find plenty here in houston at the gun shows for stupid prices. Stores will have like 50 round boxes but i haven't seen the 300-500 round boxes in years for a reasonable price. I refuse to buy any 22 over 7 cents a bullet. I have just switched to shooting my 223 and 308 rifles since then.

all the people buying up the green tip 5.56 are idiots.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:00 PM
Liked 1,375 Times in 451 Posts

For the time, gas , and aggravation I think it makes more sense to concede that the .05 per round days are a thing of the past and now the goal is to get it shipped for .10 per round or less. The alternative is to perpetuate the myth which quite frankly is really growing stale. Carry on you nickle per round seekers, your in good company.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeoBuckeye View Post
...they had about 30 sleeves of the 100 round .22LR CCI mini-mags on the shelf for $8.49.
That would be a gold mine.

oledoc2u said:
there were some available, but not quality loads, just the cheaper CCI's...
Except for a few high-end target (and $$$) loads from Eley, the CCI in any variety is the best thing available right now. The "Federal" label boxes have fallen down below Thunderbolt and Golden Bullet.

I'm not sure what "quality load" could be associated with these days.
Old 03-15-2015, 09:34 PM
Liked 18,469 Times in 7,307 Posts

FWIW I have amassed several thousand rounds of 22 over the last 2 years at an average price of 4.4 cents per round - and almost none of it was purchased off the shelf. In fact I've only seen it on the shelf at Walmart about 3 times and at Cabelas once in that 2 year period. I just buy what I can when I can find it and I refuse to pay more than 6 cents a round for it.

Most of it was bought on line - primarily through Cabelas, with the remainder being bought from individuals. A couple of times I even bought a couple of thousand rounds in a package deal with a gun - then turned around and sold the gun without the ammo.

I live less than 150 miles from the CCI factory in Lewiston Idaho, and you'd think that if anyplace had a retail supply of their products it would be this area. No such luck. The scalpers continue to clear the shelves just as quick as it gets put out, and continue to sell it for 2-3 times the retail price.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-15-2015, 09:52 PM

I know folks who work in the Remington factory. They are working extra shifts and overtime.

One explained things pretty simply. If no one anywhere bought a single round of .22lr, it would take TWO YEARS of full bore production to fill the pipeline to the stocking levels of ten years ago. They blame the .22 AR, and I can agree. Days I shoot my Ruger Single Six, it takes all afternoon to go through 100 rounds. In the same time the guy in the next lane burns 1000 or more.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:14 AM
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullh View Post
I thought this latest installment of ammo hoarders was over for now since 22 ammo is readily available in most areas.

As far as what CCI is cranking out, I haven't the foggiest...
Not even close to over in Oregon. .For Example.. Our local Wal-mart will sell .22 lr at 7:00 A.M. if they get any that day. Its all gone by 7:20

The only place you can find it on a store shelf is where the price is marked up to 10 cents/round or higher. And even that is hard to find.

KK
Old 03-16-2015, 02:53 AM

Liked 130 Times in 76 Posts

None "Readily Available" in my neck of the woods. I have to work to find .22 on the shelf, it doesn't last long, and is usually sold in such small quantities (50 or 100 round boxes) that the cost of the gas makes it an expensive proposition. Even the $50 a brick stuff is hard to find.
Old 03-16-2015, 02:58 AM
Liked 29,236 Times in 13,822 Posts
Default I've thought that something very screwy.....

I've thought that something very screwy was going on in some of these shortage. Supply and demand, combined with hoarders and flippers, account for a great deal of it. But ALL of it??? It seems that rather than people buying stuff up, the manufacturers are only producing a trickle that goes to some locals.
Old 03-16-2015, 03:30 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

4 000 000 isn't that much when you think about it. It is only 8000 boxes of 500. To supply the whole world with ammo.

KBK
Old 03-16-2015, 04:03 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Not sure I want to get in to debate of world wide availability of CCI, but is this the only ammo ?

Over here in the UK There is never any CCI in my two LGS, however I can buy bricks of 500 RWS target and Semi Auto, Winchester, Aquila, Remington (though I choose not to) Eley club and American Eagle every day if I wanted to. So it's not like there is nothing to shoot. Still have a choice of brands that work pretty well and reliably.

Oh and no, I won't send to Canada!

Rob.

Last edited by Rob1; 03-16-2015 at 04:06 AM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 03-16-2015, 08:38 AM
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts

For me it depends where I go as my local gun shop seems to have *everything* on their website in stock whenever I've been but one of the ranges I visit has virtually no .22 and another local shop didn't have what I wanted either...

Yet my chosen store has plenty of CCI standards, AR tacticals, mini-mags and the prices are good...

I guess I'd better not tell you where this shop is...
Old 03-16-2015, 09:20 AM
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts

NOTHING around here........
Old 03-16-2015, 09:37 AM
Liked 168 Times in 96 Posts

There's some over here in MA. My ffl has plenty of it stocked and on the shelf at about 5.5 cents per round
Old 03-16-2015, 11:53 AM
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by macski222 View Post
There's some over here in MA. My ffl has plenty of it stocked and on the shelf at about 5.5 cents per round
Yeah, that makes sense.

Send all the ammo to MA, CA, NY, NJ, CT....
Old 03-16-2015, 01:18 PM
Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts

Hoarding you buy everything in sight. I would pick up a brick maybe once a month. I know that at my local walmart they get in a shipment every Thursday morning and every Thursday morning one man comes in with his wife and three adult children and they buy every bit of 22 that comes in. Then when I head to the flea market on the weekends I see him there trying to sell it for 60+ a brick and $15/100 for CCI. I don't buy mine to resell. I buy it to shoot and 2000 rounds doesn't last long in our rifles.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:02 AM
Liked 1,148 Times in 608 Posts

When a TV show toured CCI about 8-10 years ago, they said it was 1,000,000 per day. They've probably increased production, but I wouldn't think it's quite 4m. But just think, Winchester, Federal and Remington are probably doing another million or more each.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:26 AM

Iirc they opened a few more plants.
As everyone says, extra shifts too.
I still hear they are two years behind for requested orders.
Old 03-17-2015, 06:35 PM
Liked 109 Times in 79 Posts

Not over by any means here in SW Montana as far as i have seen. Whatever the way some people are getting the shipments of .22 ammo that do come in to WM and other chain or small sporting goods outlets are gobbled up in a hour or two at most. But then I'm pretty much always looking for CCI mini-mag HP.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:07 PM
Liked 118 Times in 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylan007 View Post
For the time, gas , and aggravation I think it makes more sense to concede that the .05 per round days are a thing of the past and now the goal is to get it shipped for .10 per round or less. The alternative is to perpetuate the myth which quite frankly is really growing stale. Carry on you nickle per round seekers, your in good company.
Sorry but I disagree, in the past year or so I have found .22lr in different places for .05-.06 cents per round, sometimes a bit less than .05. I don't make special trips, just ask whenever I'm in a place like Wallyworld or Dicks. I literally stumbled upon a 1400 bucket of Golden bullets for $69.99 at Dicks last fall. I was on the way to pick up my daughter at a bus station and stopped in and when I asked about .22lr the sales associate reached down and plopped the bucket on the counter top.
I have also picked up several 325 count bricks of Federal Auto Match at Cabelas for $17 or about 5.2 cents per round. One time I found some 222 packs of Winchester .22 for $10.99 which is 4.7 cents per round. They had 3 boxes under the counter and I took 1, leaving the other 2 for another shooter. I figured it would create good karma. It must have worked because I also got a 2100 pack of Federal Champion for $109 from Cabela's. This came in a nice 50cal metal ammo can ($19.00 retail) so it was an exceptional deal. The most I have paid was $27.99 for a 300 pack of CCI MIni Mags at Dicks which is a bit over .09 per round. They had all kinds on the shelf and they caught me at a weak moment, I couldn't help myself. Besides, they were CCI and not bulk packed but in a tray.
This has all been in the past year and doesn't count various other purchases of .22lr. I just don't believe we need to pay .10+ per round. When we do we are paying scalper prices in most cases and just feed the madness. I don't make special trips nor do I show up at Walmart at 5 am in the morning to grab the maximum the second it hits the shelves, I'm just ready to whip out my cash when I see it. The manufacturers are not charging tons more than before nor are the big box stores, so why are we paying twice as much?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:41 PM

280 for 5000 rounds of mini mag here. If your lucky enough to find it
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 PM
Liked 18,469 Times in 7,307 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_airwolf View Post
280 for 5000 rounds of mini mag here. If your lucky enough to find it
I'd take that deal. 5.6 cents a round for mini-mag is a good price these days. The best I've seen is 8 cents a round for it. I haven't bought any in ages.
I've been just buying cheap bulk stuff.