Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 AM
New barrel ? New barrel ? New barrel ? New barrel ? New barrel ?  
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default New barrel ?

Hello, first post questions.

I have a 15-22 with <12K rounds through it. I have a can on the way, but my barrel is not threaded.

Should I replace the barrel, or have it threaded ? Is the barrel close to being "shot out" ?

I cant seem to find new barrels on the net ?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:29 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

S&W will not sell you a barrel, but don't worry... you are not in danger of shooting it out. If you somehow manage to do so later, send it in & they will replace it.

I have sent my barrels to Adco for threading. Give them the specs for your can. I have the Sparrow, so my threads are cut for its o-ring engagement & are the proper length... as opposed to the threads on a factory barrel which are too long & require a spacer.

Jim
Old 03-24-2015, 10:37 AM
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by svh View Post
Hello, first post questions.

I have a 15-22 with <12K rounds through it. I have a can on the way, but my barrel is not threaded.

Should I replace the barrel, or have it threaded ? Is the barrel close to being "shot out" ?

I cant seem to find new barrels on the net ?

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.
Welcome (I brought SVH over from a 300 blackout forum, where he asked the same thing).

Jim - did S&W replace your 4" SBR barrel with a shiny new 16" barrel, or am I mis-remembering?
Old 03-24-2015, 10:40 AM

One other comment. Since you are going to shoot suppressed & are gonna have to send your barrel off for threading, now would be a perfect time to e-file a form 1and have your barrel cut down. Some folks go ultra short, such as 4.5", but I had some failures while shooting subsonics as the shorter the barrel, the less velocity you get. I traded barrels & now have a 10" barrel. Since my Sparrow is 6" long, my gun is now back to carbine length with suppressor attached and I'm back to no failures using subsonic ammo. I just found the gun a bit long & a bit unbalanced with a suppressor attached to a 16" barrel.

E-filed form 1s are real quick now... about a month I think.
Old 03-24-2015, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord View Post
Welcome (I brought SVH over from a 300 blackout forum, where he asked the same thing).

Jim - did S&W replace your 4" SBR barrel with a shiny new 16" barrel, or am I mis-remembering?
Cool. I purchased a 9" AAC 300 Blackout upper for my AR & love it. My Saker 7.62 has about another month or so in jail.

I contacted S&W & they asked me to send it in. I offered to purchase a new barrel but they refused. I assume they were gonna replace for free but am not certain. I ended up trading my 4.5" barrel for an unthreaded 16" barrel with a member here. He got what he wanted & I got the ability to reset & start over.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:13 AM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm already in for 4 stamps as of the other day, 2 cans and 2 SBRs, and I'm on the NFA diet already (You can't tell by waistline yet though).

I still have a few months to wait sooo...... maybe another SBR is in my future.

I'll do some research on optimal barrel length and stuff, and put it on the list of "to do" before my cans get out of jail.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:26 AM
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Thanks for the speedy replies.

I'm already in for 4 stamps as of the other day, 2 cans and 2 SBRs, and I'm on the NFA diet already (You can't tell by waistline yet though).

I still have a few months to wait sooo...... maybe another SBR is in my future.

I'll do some research on optimal barrel length and stuff, and put it on the list of "to do" before my cans get out of jail.
The other thing you might consider is checking out Innovative Arms. They can turn your 15-22 into an integrally suppressed weapon. We have one and we like it a lot. It's 4 oz heavier than the original, and shoots high velocity ammo (rated at 1250fps+) as subsonic.

It's another tax stamp, and you can't reuse the suppressor, but it's only ONE tax stamp...
Old 03-24-2015, 04:34 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

SVH:

When you have 100k through the barrel, you can start to worry about it being shot out. I have a High Standard target pistol with over 65k through it and it still puts 10 rounds in a 1 inch group at 25 yards from a machine rest.
Old 03-24-2015, 09:27 PM
Liked 485 Times in 239 Posts

If you're nervous about spending the money getting an old barrel threaded, you can get a slip-on thread adapter from Tacticool22.

I'd just get it threaded...hard to imaging a 22 barrel "shot out" with as few as 12000 rounds through it...
Old 03-24-2015, 10:19 PM
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dullh View Post
you can get a slip-on thread adapter from Tacticool22.
I've seen those, but kinda leery about baffle strikes, but I have had no dealings with them, so I don' know. Just a set screw holdin it on, don't know if I'd trust that.

Opinions/experience on these are appreciated.

I won't get my can until June (fingers crossed) or so, so I think I'm gonna go the cut down barrel/thread/SBR route.

Thanks
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-25-2015, 08:24 AM

Quote:
I've seen those, but kinda leery about baffle strikes, but I have had no dealings with them, so I don' know. Just a set screw holdin it on, don't know if I'd trust that.
I'm with you. I wouldn't trust my suppressor to just some set screw. That product might be fine for a fake can or flash hider, but when you know a suppressor needs threads concentric to the bore, I'd stay away from this.