Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 03-24-2015, 02:54 PM
Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option  
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Default Factory Grip Option

Not sure if anyone has done this, but I thought it was a pretty good idea, and it seems to work.

The factory grip finger bump just didn't jive with my hand, so I purchased a Magpul MOE grip and installed it last night. I noticed the back of the grip is about 1cm shorter than the factory, which left the bottom of my palm hanging off. My hands are larger than most and it just left something to be desired. So, I looked inside of the factory grip and noticed that the finger bump area was still flat inside meaning it could be ground off.

I got out the dremel and knocked most of it off. Hit it with 150, 220, 400, 600 and 2000 grit paper until it was smooth. Then, the more I got to looking at it, I thought, this would work with the grip tape from my 1911. I got one out and, yep, perfect fit.

I prefer this much better. Factory grip now fits me without the annoying bump. Needless to say, the Magpul grip will now be going up for sale.

Here are pics installed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1587.jpg (118.6 KB, 151 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1588.jpg (104.4 KB, 115 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1591.jpg (85.4 KB, 109 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1592.jpg (88.0 KB, 99 views)
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 02:58 PM
Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option Factory Grip Option  
Liked 15 Times in 6 Posts

Nice job, looks great!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

Yeah, really nice work there, it looks great. Still prefer the Hogue though for both feel and contours glad it worked out for you
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 03-24-2015, 06:41 PM
Liked 89 Times in 50 Posts

I also did not like the "bump" on the front of the grip. For me, I went with the Magpul MIAD grip. It can be configured without a finger bump, and more importantly for me, without a beaver tail.

https://www.magpul.com/products/miad...p-kit-–-type-1

Installation requires the additional application of 3M tape to provide resistance for the safety retention spring.
Old 03-25-2015, 04:24 AM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanically_Minded View Post
Not sure if anyone has done this, but I thought it was a pretty good idea, and it seems to work.

The factory grip finger bump just didn't jive with my hand, so I purchased a Magpul MOE grip and installed it last night. I noticed the back of the grip is about 1cm shorter than the factory, which left the bottom of my palm hanging off. My hands are larger than most and it just left something to be desired. So, I looked inside of the factory grip and noticed that the finger bump area was still flat inside meaning it could be ground off.

I got out the dremel and knocked most of it off. Hit it with 150, 220, 400, 600 and 2000 grit paper until it was smooth. Then, the more I got to looking at it, I thought, this would work with the grip tape from my 1911. I got one out and, yep, perfect fit.

I prefer this much better. Factory grip now fits me without the annoying bump. Needless to say, the Magpul grip will now be going up for sale.

Here are pics installed:
Very nicely done. That looks like it was produced not modified. Well done sir!

Rob.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:46 PM
Liked 95 Times in 55 Posts

Looks good and I may do this to mine. I have found that I really like the Houge rubber pistol grip with beavertail sans finger grooves.

The stock A2 grip sucks for me.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Liked 658 Times in 365 Posts

Nice. Shoulda used my Dremel too, I used a pocket knife and whittled it off. Not as smooth as the test piece I did, but it works for me.

Then I replaced it with a different grip altogether, with more finger bumps which fitted better.

KBK
Old 03-28-2015, 10:34 AM
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Very nice work there, that grip came out sweet. The A2 works for me so I removed the factory Hogue with finger rests and installed a Colt A2 on my PC model.
Old 03-31-2015, 01:43 AM
Liked 362 Times in 268 Posts

Just don't go feel an Ergo grip or you will throw that cheap piece of plastic away. Ergo also makes them in overmolded for people with large hands. The Blackhawk Grips sold by WM are actually Ergos rebadged but the real Ergos have a slightly different texture that I prefer to the Blackhawk versions.