Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 04-04-2015, 03:49 PM

Liked 1,363 Times in 634 Posts
Default Evolution Handguard on my SBR 15-22

Some folks wished to see an Evolution handguard on a 15-22, so since today is a great day for shooting, I took a few pics. Installing the handguard is a breeze and you need the Tacticool22 modified free float converter. The Evolution pictured below is the older style, that I was able to trade with Gopher Slayer in order to get. I have the new keymod version that I'm soon to put on my other 15-22. I will take pics of the process & add here later.

My Saker 762 came in this week, so I had to take the 300 Blackout down also. This picture demonstrates the terminology "BIG BROTHER".

My Blackout.

Both together.

Shooting suppressed doesn't even bother the horses. That is the beauty of a Blackout. It is louder than the suppressed 15-22... but not a whole lot.

The Evolution. On the 15-22, this is the best feeling rifle I have ever touched. Just awesome!

Old 04-04-2015, 04:47 PM

Liked 387 Times in 196 Posts

Wow....simply wow, thanks for the pics
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 05:18 PM

Liked 297 Times in 165 Posts

Both of those set ups do look rather tasty....

Thanks for the pics of my next project...

Rob
Old 04-04-2015, 06:15 PM

Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts

I see a truck payment, a years groceries and my wife relocating me.

I wonder are those bad things?

Awesome, simply awesome!!
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-04-2015, 06:29 PM

Thanks. A lot of our lifestyle is due to my wife. She doesn't shoot but she wanted more room for the horses... so she found 20 acres out in the country. Last year she decided she wanted a pond, so who am I to complain. All that dirt has to go somewhere, so why not build a shooting berm with some of it? We both get what we want... even after 36 years.

I didn't take a good pic of the range, there is an older thread of me building it & the targets, but you can see the targets if you look hard.

Old 04-04-2015, 07:15 PM

Liked 98 Times in 60 Posts

Looking good RNJ.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:05 AM

Liked 583 Times in 312 Posts

Looks like fun.

The Evo and the 15-22 really are a perfect match.

I need to get me one of those charging handles for my 15-22. I put it off because the PT worked fine, but the raptor style handle doesn't require us left-handed shooters to push a lever while pulling the handle back. I got too used to just using the side of my knuckle on the AR platform and now the Plinker Tactical feels complicated.
Old 04-05-2015, 08:12 AM

Yep, that is the Doomsday & those big ears really help old folks like me... especially when you shoot lefty with a magnifier.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:43 AM

Jim,

What is your barrel length, hand guard length?
Old 04-05-2015, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gks6419 View Post
Jim,

What is your barrel length, hand guard length?
I have an 11" barrel. The Sparrow is 5", so that puts me right back to carbine length. That barrel length also allows me to shoot subsonics suppressed with no issues. I originally tried a 4.5" barrel, but had trouble resetting my trigger when shooting subsonics. That evolution is the 12" model.

Like I said, I like the carbine length, so even my Blackout is about the same. It has a 9" barrel but the Saker is 2" longer than the Sparrow.
Old 04-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Me like this!! Awesome Jim!!! That's a lot of pension checks.
Old 04-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Liked 215 Times in 154 Posts

great set up! the only issue i have with mine is if you want to add or change the location of one of the rail pieces.....PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!! forceps, little tiny alien fingers to hold the back plate in place while you attempt several times, with several choice curse words to screw the bolt in! aside from that they are a great rail. i don't have the key mod, but it will be on my next build, very simple rail attachment system, wonder someone didn't think of that a long time ago
Old 04-05-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkill45 View Post
great set up! the only issue i have with mine is if you want to add or change the location of one of the rail pieces.....PITA!!!!!!!!!!!!! forceps, little tiny alien fingers to hold the back plate in place while you attempt several times, with several choice curse words to screw the bolt in! aside from that they are a great rail. i don't have the key mod, but it will be on my next build, very simple rail attachment system, wonder someone didn't think of that a long time ago
I like the looks of the old style better but as you say, the keymod, which they sell now, is much easier system to put on accessories.
Old 04-05-2015, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gks6419 View Post
Me like this!! Awesome Jim!!! That's a lot of pension checks.
The great thing is you ain't gotta do it all at once. Just do one change at a time. That gives you plenty of time to do what is most important... SHOOT. Granted, it helps to have a home range. By reading here, one can figure out what next to add or change out.

Just this morning in Sunday School, after the lesson of course, a fellow & I were discussing him getting a 15-22. He was shocked when I told him how cheap they were, as opposed to an AR. I then said he would have to decide which enhancements were most important to him, and that would determine the sequence of the build. When he asked me, my thought was to buy the standard, threaded barrel model, not the MOE, and start with a suppressor. Yes, I really appreciate my CMC trigger & other goodies, but no accessory on this planet comes close to shooting suppressed.
Old 04-05-2015, 05:17 PM

Liked 48 Times in 37 Posts

What is the price of an AR.
Norico and a few others are $600 Canadian. Most are in the 800-1200 price range.
However there are some fancy ones over 2K.
The 15-22 is $600+ here new. Used might be $450 if your lucky
Old 04-05-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_airwolf View Post
What is the price of an AR.
Norico and a few others are $600 Canadian. Most are in the 800-1200 price range.
However there are some fancy ones over 2K.
The 15-22 is $600+ here new. Used might be $450 if your lucky
Assuming you don't build your own, I'd say a cheap AR would be double the price of a 15-22. I don't search for cheap ARs, so I'm no expert here. I know you can get a S&W M&P 15 Sport for say $700. A pretty basic Stag, which is what I shoot, would be around $900.

This would be a better question on the M&P 15 rifle forum.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:40 AM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default On the cheap

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
Assuming you don't build your own, I'd say a cheap AR would be double the price of a 15-22. I don't search for cheap ARs, so I'm no expert here. I know you can get a S&W M&P 15 Sport for say $700. A pretty basic Stag, which is what I shoot, would be around $900.

This would be a better question on the M&P 15 rifle forum.
Just built an AR. $430 ATI upper. $75 Aero lower (with transfer). $10 for the trigger guard. The upper is already assembled. If you can put parts on a 15-22 you can build one of these. Probably a little cheaper with a blem lower.Didn't mean to hijack the thread but I have a 15-22 with a lot of mods I learned about from this forum. I love mine and this forum is a great place to learn!
Old 04-06-2015, 09:39 PM

Tonight I installed the new keymod version of the Evolution on my other 15-22. Warning, I'm no photographer & just used my iPhone.

Step one: Remove the barrel nut & quad rail. You will not need them anymore.

Step two: Gather together the Tacticool22 modified free float adapter (on the left) and a mil spec AR barrel nut. Screw them together as shown. I just do so rather firmly but not crazy tight.

Step three: Using an AR barrel nut wrench, thread this onto the barrel & tighten snugly. I believe you can thread the adapter onto the barrel first & then thread on the AR barrel nut. I do mine this way & it works fine. The way I see it, the final tightening will snug them both anyway.

Tighten until timed where a notch is dead center at the top. On an AR, the gas tube would run thru that notch.

Step four: Install the two thermal bushings onto the barrel nut. You will note one end of the bushings have partial holes on the end. They go on the bottom.

Step five: Tighten the two set screws on the bottom. As you tighten, verify the barrel is centered in the handguard. When tight, tighten the smaller set screw at the very bottom. With this setup, there is a small gap between the upper & the handguard. As you can see in the pic, the front takedown pin is what holds it back. Guess if you wanted to, you could dremel it back some, but it doesn't bother me. Note the anti-rotation tab up top. It protrudes on both sides of the upper receiver rail, to well... stop potential rotation.

Step six: Add your attachments & start shooting.

Old 04-06-2015, 10:57 PM

Liked 168 Times in 111 Posts

That came out nice and the gap between hand guard and upper is minimal, well done!
Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 PM

Liked 583 Times in 312 Posts

Where did you find the Samson keymod bipod adapter?

I like the low-profile type that are basically just a sling stud. I'm using the IWC one now, but I'm not happy with it.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
Where did you find the Samson keymod bipod adapter?

I like the low-profile type that are basically just a sling stud. I'm using the IWC one now, but I'm not happy with it.
I figured if they had one for the old style, which I put on your old handguard, that they should have come up with one for the keymod. So I emailed Samson & sure enough, even though the website doesn't show it, they have them. You just have to contact them to request it.

I really like their vertical grips too. You mount what looks like their QD attachments points, but it is threaded on the inside. The end of their grips are designed to screw the grip onto that mount, so that when not needed, all that is left on the rail is that low profile mount. I like that flexibility.

Granted, as you know, with the picatinny rail kits you can attach small pieces of rail to attach any "standard" attachment, however I don't care for the look of having too much of that rail. I use one short piece of picatinny on the old style handguard, so as to attach my light, but that is all. The beauty of these metal rails is keeping them light & low profile. I just love them! They fit my grip so much better than quad rails... and are much lighter. Besides my suppressor, this handguard is my favorite 15-22 accessory... even ahead of my CMC trigger, which I dearly love.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:46 AM

Liked 365 Times in 222 Posts

Your property looks beautiful. Enjoy the Spring!
Old 04-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJack2012 View Post
Your property looks beautiful. Enjoy the Spring!
Thanks. I'm playing around with self sufficiency and having a ball. Spring is rather nice when coming out of a hard winter. I've got over 100 apple trees in the orchard & they are mostly in bloom now. Very, very pretty. Peaches are mostly done blooming. Broccoli is growing nicely & I'm already picking asparagus. Blueberries are starting to bloom & get the attention of the bees too.

If I didn't have the home range, it would be hard to find time to shoot.
Old 04-07-2015, 09:23 AM

Makes me miss my youth in NC, Good times