Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 04-26-2015, 09:29 AM
My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets  
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Default My bolt is scraping my bullets

For some unknown reason my bolt is scraping across the top of my bullets and really gouging them. I've tried 4 different magazines and numerous different brands of bullets. The all get beat up the same way. Has anyone else had this issue? It causes the accuracy to go way out. I'm talking 7" from point of aim at 100 yards. I have taken pictures of the bolt and bullets and magazines. Haven't had a chance to post. Just looking for thoughts on the cause. Thanks in advance.

PS:This is something that just started recently...
Old 04-26-2015, 09:45 AM
My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets My bolt is scraping my bullets  
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
PS:This is something that just started recently...
Have you recently done anything to the gun, such as remove the barrel or remove the flash hider?
Old 04-26-2015, 10:00 AM
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

No, I have not done anything physically to the gun. I keep it clean but nothing abnormal.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:14 AM
Liked 608 Times in 322 Posts

Can you recreate the problem while manually cycling rounds with the barrel pointed in a safe direction?

Got any pictures? (ammo and firearm)

One type of ammo or all?

Does the barrel feel tight?

Also inspect the feedramp, chamber, magazine, and bolt for build up or foreign objects.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:24 AM
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Yes I can recreate the problem manually.

I'll get the pictures up later today.

All ammo.

Barrel is tight. (First thing I checked)

The mags look good. I tried 4 different 10 rounders.

Feed ramp looks great. Chamber is great. Bolt is the issue I think... the straight part that rides across the mag to push the bullet into the chamber that is causing the issue. Is it wear in the polymer already?
Old 04-26-2015, 11:05 AM

So you think the bolt is gouging the the top of next round to be chambered while cycling back. Obviously since the bolt never touches the bullet on it's way to the chamber.

The bolt will always rub the top of the next round while cycling. It's the nature of the beast. If it's causing excessive gouging then either the bolt is in rough shape (maybe dropped since it's a new problem) or the rounds in the magazine have too much angle (magazine is splitting in half towards the feed lips).

edit:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerryB View Post
Is it wear in the polymer already?
Wear where?

Last edited by Gopher Slayer; 04-26-2015 at 11:06 AM.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 04-26-2015, 09:12 PM
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Hey Gopher, after looking closely at my magazines, I believe you have hit the nail on the head. 2 magazines were worn at that feed lip area and 2 were not. I'm looking forward to getting back to the range to test it out. I tried the 2 good ones with cycling by hand and no major defects noted! Thanks for your help.

Gerry
Old 04-27-2015, 08:39 AM
Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Gerry what is the round count on those two worn mags ?
Old 04-27-2015, 04:36 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by REARSPROCKET View Post
Gerry what is the round count on those two worn mags ?
I am curious about this, too. Most of my magazines are approaching 1k and I have no appreciable wear, certainly none that is causing feeding problems.
Old 04-27-2015, 05:06 PM
Liked 119 Times in 89 Posts

Lol Im about the same but for all 6 mags.
I use the pistolgrip lightning loader. A mag loaded in 7 sec is about right.
Thanks all for the great advise. The loader, tacticools handguard nut/tool, optics and short barrel have transformed a good rifle to a wonderful rifle!
Old 04-27-2015, 05:16 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Like this?

The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChattanoogaPhil View Post
Like this?

Is the rim of the top round digging into the bottom of the feed lips there?
Old 04-27-2015, 05:34 PM
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts

Phil, thats exactly the issue. Beating them up. My magazine had grooves near the rim. It made the bullets sit up too far. The bolt slid over the top and scraped the bullets.
Gerry

I'm not sure about round counts as I take the magazines at random and have 4 to use. But they have quite a few down the pipe...
Old 04-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Liked 20,623 Times in 5,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gopher Slayer View Post
Is the rim of the top round digging into the bottom of the feed lips there?
I never did see any noticeable wear. As you can see those pics are back from 2010, but new mags did fix it. Maybe some mags come out the mold a tad different. If I remember correctly, it was by accident I noticed it. I think I was picking up a dud round after I had ejected it and noticed the scar. Then I tried some manual cycling for those pics. Quite a while ago... old man fading mind. But I did remember I had those pics!

That mag probably had at least 5k rounds though it as it was about a year old at the time. I still got it around here somewhere...

Last edited by ChattanoogaPhil; 04-27-2015 at 06:00 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 04-27-2015, 07:03 PM
Liked 91 Times in 51 Posts

That's another reason I like my greasy Tac22 Ammo. There's no abrasion of the plastic at all. All my mags look and work brand new.