Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 05-19-2015, 10:03 PM
Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap?  
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Hand guard End Cap?

Hello everyone,

Bought my 15-22 a couple of months ago and am having a blast with it.

Couple of small mods I am making, one of them a brass deflector (as I am a lefty) and I have just added a barrel shroud (because I think it looks good ). I would love to know where I would be able to find one or two of the hand guard end caps, as I'd like to modify them to fit in the hand guard with the barrel shroud (and I'd like to keep the original one un-modded)

If you can help me, please let me know

Paul
Old 05-20-2015, 07:00 AM
Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap? Hand guard End Cap?  
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejinx77 View Post
Hello everyone,

Bought my 15-22 a couple of months ago and am having a blast with it.

Couple of small mods I am making, one of them a brass deflector (as I am a lefty) and I have just added a barrel shroud (because I think it looks good ). I would love to know where I would be able to find one or two of the hand guard end caps, as I'd like to modify them to fit in the hand guard with the barrel shroud (and I'd like to keep the original one un-modded)

If you can help me, please let me know

Paul
I believe that I still have mine that I don't/can't use since it's now integrally suppressed. Understand that the end cap doesn't really serve a useful purpose though...

Feel free to pm me..
Old 05-20-2015, 09:06 AM
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts

It was my understanding that because the upper receiver is plastic. And only has a thin metal collar supporting the barrels collar. Because of the plastic heating up during use, the end cap helps mitigate angular deviation since its not truly a free float supported barrel.

When the upper warms up the plastic, the barrel starts to sag some if it gets hot enough.

Also heard it mitigates angular deviation from putting upward pressure on the handguard.
Old 05-20-2015, 10:13 AM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon-Man View Post
It was my understanding that because the upper receiver is plastic. And only has a thin metal collar supporting the barrels collar. Because of the plastic heating up during use, the end cap helps mitigate angular deviation since its not truly a free float supported barrel.

When the upper warms up the plastic, the barrel starts to sag some if it gets hot enough.

Also heard it mitigates angular deviation from putting upward pressure on the handguard.
My experience is the end cap does nothing. I have noticed no difference with the end cap removed.

We ain't talking about shooting full auto in a fire fight in Afghanistan. I can't really imagine doing enough rapid fire shooting to heat up this gun that much. Granted, if you are using a Slide Fire then maybe, but such folks aren't worried about accuracy... they are just playing soldier & want to hose some ammo. Great fun for those so inclined.

If your shooting style does cause an issue then I would suggest getting the Tacticool22 barrel nut adapter & installing an AR metal handguard... such as the Evolution I use. I don't use it because of heat build up. i just like the way it feels & looks.
Old 05-20-2015, 11:27 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was wondering about the mechanics of essentially removing one of two supports of the beam, so to speak. Is the original purpose of the thing functional or optical? Either way, I'd just like that gap closed.

Sithlord, PM sent, thank you very much..

Paul
Old 05-20-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejinx77 View Post
Is the original purpose of the thing functional or optical?
Since it was designed to be a free float barrel & for this end cap to not touch the barrel, then I'd say it is for aesthetics. Now if you crawl around in the mud & bushes, it might serve a purpose but I doubt many folks do so with a 15-22.

I should have the two that I removed from my 15-22s if your other deal doesn't work.
Old 05-20-2015, 12:05 PM
Liked 42 Times in 25 Posts

i second the barrel nut adapter.

Great accessory and well worth the money.

I actually put a BCM KMR on my .22 and honestly couldn't be happier. super light but tons of attachment opportunity with the keymod feature.

Love being able to throw my harris bipod on without always lugging around a 1 pound metal block on the front of my rifle.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:04 PM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Sithlord should have me covered but I'll be sure to send you a PM should I manage to screw up the mod . Thank you for the offer.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:01 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

20150521_170834.jpg

And here is the end result, liking it a lot better than the gap..

Thanks again, Sithlord.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:24 AM

What is the advantage of having it touch? Seems to me that is the opposite of what is normally done & seems that would cause all sorts of variations in accuracy.
Old 05-22-2015, 11:54 AM
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts

You definitely want to have it not touching there. With a barrel shroud that large, it seems like a no brainer to not have the cap there at all. With it touching, anything that puts enough pressure on the handguard to make it move it also going to push on the barrel. This is bad for accuracy and is also potentially bad for the engagement between the receiver and barrel long term.