Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 06-08-2015, 10:53 AM
Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow  
Liked 63 Times in 30 Posts
Default Spacer for a Sparrow

I have a M&P 15-22 tan/black w/threaded barrel/flash suppressor. Also getting a sparrow which is in limbo. My question is: When I remove the FS, will I need a spacer for the can. Thanks
Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 AM
Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow  
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocksprings View Post
I have a M&P 15-22 tan/black w/threaded barrel/flash suppressor. Also getting a sparrow which is in limbo. My question is: When I remove the FS, will I need a spacer for the can. Thanks
Yes. The threads on the barrel are .6", but the sparrow only seats about .4". Remember to CLAMP THE BARREL when removing the flash hider.

http://www.store.silencerco.com/prod...-thread-spacer
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 12:34 PM
Liked 68 Times in 30 Posts

Indeed, you will need the spacer with the Sparrow. It should be in the Sparrow package.

BTW, it took three months from filing to receiving the tax stamp from the ATF for the silencer, via a trust I found on-line.
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 06-08-2015, 01:12 PM
Liked 1,731 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
I highly recommend getting your barrel re-threaded to the Sparrow's specs so that you don't need the spacer and even better, so that you can take advantage of the Sparrow's o-ring engagement. Before having the o-ring engagement, my Sparrow had a tendency to loosen up during shooting. Not so anymore.

IMO, the best way to accomplish this is to get the stamp for converting your 15-22 to a SBR. I've tried different lengths but much prefer an 11" barrel so that with the Sparrow attached, my gun is back to the 16" carbine length. This really helps with balance & looks, IMO. My 2nd 15-22 is not a SBR & a while back, I lost my spacer when shooting it & swapping the Sparrow between other guns. Made me so mad, I sent that barrel off to have the existing threads cut off & re-threaded to the Sparrow specs. Really glad I did this. The 15-22 barrel is actually a bit longer than 16" so that when you cut off the existing threads & re-thread, you still are legal... at least when Adco does the job.

I've exclusively used Adco for my barrel cutting & threading & couldn't be happier.
Old 06-08-2015, 02:11 PM
Default Sparrow

Thanks everyone, I'm getting the can at the Silencer Shop in Austin, Texas. They are right down the road from my place. (80 miles.) The Sparrow, Stamp, & Trust was $760.37. Not advertizing for them but they sure make it easy. Since I live in Texas they can mail the can to me, (FREE) no other dealer will be involved.

Last edited by Rocksprings; 06-08-2015 at 02:16 PM.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Thanks everyone, I'm getting the can at the Silencer Shop in Austin, Texas. They are right down the road from my place. (80 miles.) The Sparrow, Stamp, & Trust was $760.37. Not advertizing for them but they sure make it easy. Since I live in Texas they can mail the can to me, (FREE) no other dealer will be involved.
I ordered my 3rd can from them a few weeks ago... an Octane 9. I use them even when my local shop has the same item in stock. In each case they've been about $200 cheaper on each suppressor. I'm not planning on kicking the bucket anytime soon, so the extra 30-60 day wait for a Form 3 is no big deal.

You are right. They make ordering a can effortless in that they do everything... especially once they have your trust info on file.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:41 PM
Liked 244 Times in 153 Posts

This SilencerCo Sparrow Adapter is 1/2-28x.600 to 1/2-28xSparrow. That is, it adapts a standard 1/2-28 x .600 like the 15-22 has to have Sparrow specific threading with proper length and o-ring engagement.
Old 06-08-2015, 03:54 PM
Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow  
Liked 1,270 Times in 693 Posts

Quote:
Are you a FFL dealer? If you are not a FFL it has to be transferred to you, meaning you will have to fill out 4473 done by a dealer. They may have a local dealer do the transfer or you may be able to go over to their store, I do not know if they do transfers there. They are excellent to work with, they do it right the First time. Be Safe,
Old 06-08-2015, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermd View Post
Are you a FFL dealer...
Texas has some special rules where everything can be done by mail.

Buying Options for TX Residents
Old 06-08-2015, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by telero View Post
Texas has some special rules where everything can be done by mail.

Buying Options for TX Residents
4473 is Federal. I went to SS and read the options, you would fill out a 4473 on line, they would put their info, mail it to you, sign, mail back to SS, after they get it, they wait 7 days then send can & Stamp. Be Safe,
Old 06-08-2015, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipermd View Post
4473 is Federal.
Yep, but you seemed to be implying that if he wasn't an FFL he wouldn't be able to have the silencer mailed to him. As far as I know Texas is the only state that has this arrangement where you can do all the paperwork by mail and have the item mailed directly to you. The paperwork that can be mailed in this case does include the 4473.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:39 PM
Banned
Liked 131 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Yep, but you seemed to be implying that if he wasn't an FFL he wouldn't be able to have the silencer mailed to him. As far as I know Texas is the only state that has this arrangement where you can do all the paperwork by mail and have the item mailed directly to you. The paperwork that can be mailed in this case does include the 4473.
Definitely not just TX. Works the same way here in NC.

It's nothing more than filling out the 4473 as a non-over-the-counter transfer. Notification goes to CLEO, but as an FYI only. Dealer has to wait 7 days to ship it. I've bought several cans in-state and had them shipped to my door without another dealer involved.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 06-09-2015, 12:49 AM

Telero: Sorry - Did not mean to suggest that a can or firearm could not be received by mail. I was just saying that a 4473 Had to be filled out at some point during the transaction, and in a Non-Over-The-Counter-Sale declaration must also be submitted. Since by nature a NFA transaction is NICS exempt . I tried to bring the link for NOTCS- But it is easier for someone to just google NOTCS and it will give all the info. Something of note - UPS--- Has changed their mind and WILL continue to ship suppressors, and other firearms, but not "machine guns", I do not know where other NFA items will fall in their warped world- AOW,SBR,SBS,DD, etc. Be Safe,
Old 06-09-2015, 06:02 AM
Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow  
Liked 448 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
This SilencerCo Sparrow Adapter is 1/2-28x.600 to 1/2-28xSparrow. That is, it adapts a standard 1/2-28 x .600 like the 15-22 has to have Sparrow specific threading with proper length and o-ring engagement.
Thats exactly what im using on mine, works great!!
Old 06-09-2015, 10:42 AM
Default SPARROW

OK, Correct me if I am wrong: The spacer and the sparrow adapter w/O-rings are made for the same purpose... to shorten the length of the threads on the 1522 so the can will fit right ? Also it looks like the adapter is a more permanent solution than the spacer. Sorry, all this is new to me. I guess its up to the owner as to which option to use ??? Thank you everyone, I have learned a lot from your comments.
Old 06-09-2015, 11:01 AM

Quote:
OK, Correct me if I am wrong: The spacer and the sparrow adapter w/O-rings are made for the same purpose... to shorten the length of the threads on the 1522 so the can will fit right ? Also it looks like the adapter is a more permanent solution than the spacer. Sorry, all this is new to me. I guess its up to the owner as to which option to use ??? Thank you everyone, I have learned a lot from your comments.
The spacer does one thing... shortens the threads that can go inside the Sparrow. The adapter has the shorter threads PLUS the o-ring engagement. That is a very important extra feature.

As I found out, one can lose the spacer when sharing the suppressor between guns. The adapter is more permanent but not as permanent as having the barrel itself worked on, as I did. IMO you REALLY want to take advantage of the o-ring engagement... one way or the other.
Old 06-09-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
IMO you REALLY want to take advantage of the o-ring engagement... one way or the other.
Absolutely agree with this. Best option is to get the adapter for now, then eventually register the 15-22 as an SBR and get the barrel cut/threaded to the correct specs. Then use the adapter on the next 22 until it is registered as an SBR and cut/threaded. Repeat as often as possible.
Old 06-10-2015, 03:39 PM

My 15-22 came from the factory with the flash suppressor and a small 1/8" spacer that fits behind the flash suppressor and against the barrel.

When I first installed the Sparrow, I removed the 1/8" spacer and installed the Sparrow's spacer, which is about 1/4", I would guess. It screws onto the barrel muzzle. I just leave it there, attached, when I take the Sparrow suppressor off and re-attached the flash suppressor. There are more than enough threads on the barrel to retain the flash suppressor, which really only needs to be finger tight. My Ruger .22LR Mk III pistol doesn't need the spacer to attach the Sparrow.
Old 06-10-2015, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hakr100 View Post
My 15-22 came from the factory with the flash suppressor and a small 1/8" spacer that fits behind the flash suppressor and against the barrel.

When I first installed the Sparrow, I removed the 1/8" spacer and installed the Sparrow's spacer, which is about 1/4", I would guess. It screws onto the barrel muzzle. I just leave it there, attached, when I take the Sparrow suppressor off and re-attached the flash suppressor. There are more than enough threads on the barrel to retain the flash suppressor, which really only needs to be finger tight. My Ruger .22LR Mk III pistol doesn't need the spacer to attach the Sparrow.
That 1/8" spacer is called a crush washer.

DO NOT use the crush washer (or multiple crush washers) for your suppressor spacer (I know YOU did not do this, but let this be a warning for others).

A crush washer will NOT guarantee concentric alignment to the barrel bore axis.

The flash suppressor has sufficient diameter to allow for a non-concentric alignment with the barrel (I am using the 15-22 flash suppressor on my 9mm right now, for instance).

On the other hand, a suppressor generally has MUCH tighter tolerances which require it to be aligned to the barrel bore axis. Failure to do so MAY RESULT in a baffle strike....

When in doubt, attach the suppressor and then look down from the breech. If you can see any of the baffles, DO NOT SHOOT.

Cheers!
Old 06-12-2015, 04:48 PM
US Veteran
Liked 886 Times in 431 Posts

I would get a .223 can. That way you can shoot anything through it and you don't have to monkey around with spacers or re-threading your barrel to something special.
Just make sure it is user serviceable to clean out all the .22 junk.
Old 06-12-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacticool22 View Post
I would get a .223 can....Just make sure it is user serviceable to clean out all the .22 junk.
That's a very limited selection to choose from, since a user-serviceable .223 can isn't something many people want.

Plus, I couldn't imagine hanging a whole lot of weight off the end of a 15-22.

Rimfire hosts need a dedicated rimfire can, even if it's a Form 1 can.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:01 AM
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedNeck Jim View Post
The spacer does one thing... shortens the threads that can go inside the Sparrow. The adapter has the shorter threads PLUS the o-ring engagement. That is a very important extra feature.

As I found out, one can lose the spacer when sharing the suppressor between guns. The adapter is more permanent but not as permanent as having the barrel itself worked on, as I did. IMO you REALLY want to take advantage of the o-ring engagement... one way or the other.
This is why I opted for the adapter over the spacer. It has a thread protector so it's basically semi permannet with no chance of loss.
Old 06-13-2015, 10:10 AM

Which exact adapter does one order from SilencerCo to fit the standard threaded barrel 15-22 rifle? There's more than one listed, if I recall, from the last time I checked.
Old 06-13-2015, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Which exact adapter does one order from SilencerCo to fit the standard threaded barrel 15-22 rifle? There's more than one listed, if I recall, from the last time I checked.
You don't need an adapter - the threads on the sparrow are 1/2x28tpi, same as the threaded 15-22 barrel.

You will need a spacer. The one recommended is http://www.store.silencerco.com/coll...ing-engagement
Old 06-13-2015, 12:33 PM
Banned

The adapter you can use is the 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 here (although you can definitely get it cheaper elsewhere). It will give you the proper length threads, plus o-ring engagement, and also comes with a thread protector.
Old 06-13-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
The adapter you can use is the 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 here (although you can definitely get it cheaper elsewhere). It will give you the proper length threads, plus o-ring engagement, and also comes with a thread protector.
Uh, who has it "cheaper elsewhere"?
Old 06-13-2015, 02:03 PM
Spacer for a Sparrow Spacer for a Sparrow  
Liked 448 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Silencer Shop.... (good folks)

SilencerCo Sparrow O Ring Adapter - Rimfire Silencer Accessories - Accessories
Old 06-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
All kinds of places. Search for Silencerco AC3 (that's the part number). Grab a Gun has it for ~$30/shipped.