Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 09-03-2015, 05:55 AM
Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone  
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Serial number plaque gone

Hey guys,
Has anyone ever seen this happen. Got back from shooting with my son last week end and was getting ready to clean our guns and noticed the plaque thing that holds the serial number was gun from my sons 15-22.
I'm thinking how the h*ll did that just fall off?

Has anyone ever seen that? I called smith yesterday and the guy I talked to said he had never heard of that happening before. He did said they wouldn't restamp it. So I'
m at a loss here. He said everyone that deals with anything like that was gone for the day and would call me back tomorrow.(today) Bought the rifle in 2/15/2013 and have the serial # written down.
I've included a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone  
Liked 18,994 Times in 9,294 Posts

I'm not sure if the serial number is stamped elsewhere on the gun, but this sounds like a situation to call factory customer service ASAP (edit to add: with a supervisor, as Scott suggested) and ask them how to fix this.

Last edited by murphydog; 09-03-2015 at 08:26 AM.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:17 AM
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cghelton View Post
Hey guys,
Has anyone ever seen this happen. Got back from shooting with my son last week end and was getting ready to clean our guns and noticed the plaque thing that holds the serial number was gun from my sons 15-22.
I'm thinking how the h*ll did that just fall off?

Has anyone ever seen that? I called smith yesterday and the guy I talked to said he had never heard of that happening before. He did said they wouldn't restamp it. So I'
m at a loss here. He said everyone that deals with anything like that was gone for the day and would call me back tomorrow.(today) Bought the rifle in 2/15/2013 and have the serial # written down.
I've included a pic.

[IMG][/IMG]
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphydog View Post
I'm not sure if the serial number is stamped elsewhere on the gun, but this sounds like a situation to call factory customer service ASAP and ask them how to fix this.
The OP already called customer service. He still needs help. I'd call again and ask for a supervisor. I wouldn't want a rifle with an altered serial number.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:49 AM
Liked 13,503 Times in 5,099 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganScott View Post
The OP already called customer service. He still needs help. I'd call again and ask for a supervisor. I wouldn't want a rifle with an altered serial number.
I wouldn't want a rifle with an altered OR MISSING serial number.

Double that after putting it on here or any open forum. I will bet you my 1/2 of the Brooklyn Bridge that many state and Federal alphabet agencies read forums as part of their job.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:28 AM
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Yes,I called them yesterday. Think I'm going to go ahead and call and ask for a supervisor like someone suggested.
Old 09-03-2015, 02:47 PM
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Hey guys,
Got a call back from Matthew as promised around noon today. They're going to take care of me!!WOOHOO. Told me to send it in. They're paying for shipping both ways as well.
That's awesome customer service I have to say!!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:57 PM
Liked 18,994 Times in 9,294 Posts

I suspected they would do the right thing, glad it worked out for you!
Old 09-03-2015, 03:01 PM
Liked 4,293 Times in 1,636 Posts

I can't believe they would not engrave this into the frame. If it can fall off I bet it can be removed for nefarious reasons and that's just not good.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:20 PM
SWCA Member
Liked 4,495 Times in 1,516 Posts

I suspect S&W doesn't actually make the lower receiver, and they affix the S/N plate when the rifle is assembled?

But this brings up the question in my mind about whether or S&W would be in hot water with the BATF as a manufacturer, possibly not being in compliance with a BATF regulation regarding how the S/N has to be put on the receiver.

I'm kind of surprised at S&W's initial complacency regarding a s/n plate coming off, if it can happen to one gun due to some kind of defect, it can happen to others.

When you get the gun back, post back how it was fixed... being polymer I would guess another plate affixed.
SWCA #1830 SWHF #222

Last edited by Gunhacker; 09-03-2015 at 03:41 PM.
Old 09-03-2015, 03:32 PM
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Good points brought up..I can't believe its not engraved. I didn't even think to ask how it was going to be put on there. I guess I was too excited when they said they' were fixing it..LOL
I'll post up when I get it back and let you guys know how they fixed it.

Thanks!
Old 09-03-2015, 04:03 PM
Liked 244 Times in 153 Posts

I don't know of any instance where the serial number is not engraved in metal. Since this isn't a metal lower (and there are many other non-metal frames/receivers out there as well), it seems to be common industry practice to engrave a metal plate and attach it. It seems likely that any manufacturer using non-metal frames are required to have an engraved piece of metal, and a variance from ATF that allows them to attach that to the actual firearm.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:13 PM
US Veteran
Liked 6,577 Times in 1,830 Posts

Like Glock, or S&W M&P's.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:45 PM
Liked 452 Times in 260 Posts

ATF requires the serial number stamped or engraved in metal. For polymer lowers, they require the plate to be virtually non removable without serious damage to the frame.

This would apply to 80% polymer lowers that are eventually sold or SBR'd as well.....
Old 09-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Banned
Liked 131 Times in 77 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sithlord View Post
ATF requires the serial number stamped or engraved in metal. For polymer lowers, they require the plate to be virtually non removable without serious damage to the frame.

This would apply to 80% polymer lowers that are eventually sold or SBR'd as well.....
Do you have a statute to back that up? I'm not asking that as being argumentative...I've just heard it several times and can't find it.

Closest I could find was this:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;

I know they specify the "in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed" but I haven't been able to find where they actually say "in metal".
Old 09-03-2015, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
Do you have a statute to back that up? I'm not asking that as being argumentative...I've just heard it several times and can't find it.

Closest I could find was this:

§ 479.102 How must firearms be identified?
(a) You, as a manufacturer, importer, or maker of a firearm, must legibly identify the firearm as follows:
(1) By engraving, casting, stamping (impressing), or otherwise conspicuously placing or causing to be engraved, cast, stamped (impressed) or placed on the frame or receiver thereof an individual serial number. The serial number must be placed in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed, and must not duplicate any serial number placed by you on any other firearm. For firearms manufactured, imported, or made on and after January 30, 2002, the engraving, casting, or stamping (impressing) of the serial number must be to a minimum depth of .003 inch and in a print size no smaller than 1/16 inch;

I know they specify the "in a manner not susceptible of being readily obliterated, altered, or removed" but I haven't been able to find where they actually say "in metal".
I can't find a ruling per se, however, there is this, from:

DEPARTMENT OF THE TREASURY

Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms

27 CFR Parts 178 and 179

[T.D. ATF-461; Ref: Notice No. 877]
RIN 1512-AB84

Identification Markings Placed on Firearms (98R-341P)

AGENCY: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF), Department of
the Treasury.

ACTION: Final rule, Treasury decision.

IV. Analysis of Comments/Final Rule
C. Miscellaneous
markings placed in soft materials such as aluminum or zinc alloys, and especially plastics, are comparatively easy to remove compared to markings in steel. As such, ATF has required manufacturers and importers who use polymer plastic frames to mark serial numbers in a steel plate embedded within the plastic.

Also, there were polymer lowers from Plum Crazy that were found to be illegal due to easy removal of the serial number.

Last edited by sithlord; 09-03-2015 at 08:27 PM.
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 09:12 PM
Banned

Thanks!

I know I've seen it mentioned numerous times in various forums...and every polymer firearm I have has the SN on a metal part. Just don't think I've seen that letter.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:46 PM
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts

On a side note.
20 years ago mfg's used to be able to destroy a customers defective frame, restamp the same serial on a new one and return it to said customer. Nice because no FFL or his fee was required and everyone was happy.

S&W told me that ATF no longer allows that and a new serial and FFL paper work is required.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:01 AM
Liked 126 Times in 69 Posts

My thoughts are that you will be receiving a new firearm.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbear View Post
On a side note.
20 years ago mfg's used to be able to destroy a customers defective frame, restamp the same serial on a new one and return it to said customer. Nice because no FFL or his fee was required and everyone was happy.

S&W told me that ATF no longer allows that and a new serial and FFL paper work is required.
I had a frame replaced on a Glock 17 from Glock Inc, Smyrna. New serial number and I did not have to fill out a 4473, provide my drivers license, or Georgia Carry Permit.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:31 AM
Liked 244 Times in 153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbear View Post
On a side note.
20 years ago mfg's used to be able to destroy a customers defective frame, restamp the same serial on a new one and return it to said customer.

S&W is half correct. They can't replace the firearm with a new one that has the same serial number. They can replace it with a firearm ("same kind and type") with a different serial number without paperwork form the owner. They have to note it in their records.

This information can be found in ATF Ruling 74-20

Last edited by telero; 09-04-2015 at 10:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2015, 12:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by telero View Post
S&W is half correct. They can't replace the firearm with a new one that has the same serial number. They can replace it with a firearm ("same kind and type") with a different serial number without paperwork form the owner. They have to note it in their records.

This information can be found in ATF Ruling 74-20
Guess that would require a new stamp if an SBR was involved. Yuck.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigWaylon View Post
Guess that would require a new stamp if an SBR was involved. Yuck.
Yet another reason the nfa law sucks.... Through no fault of anyone, the owner would be out another $200. There is no way to transfer the stamp to a different firearm serial number.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:53 PM
Liked 109 Times in 55 Posts

After reading about this issue,I got my mp 15-22 out that I recently purchased
After breaking it down I found no serial number etched anywhere
Every handgun rifle and shotgun I own has the serial number etched on the barrels
Old 09-16-2015, 06:08 AM
Serial number plaque gone Serial number plaque gone  
Liked 448 Times in 284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar outlaw View Post
Every handgun rifle and shotgun I own has the serial number etched on the barrels
Serial number is on the silver plate on the left side mag well. You will not find it anywhere else on the 15-22.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:14 AM
Liked 3,535 Times in 1,770 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonestar outlaw View Post
Interesting. Every rifle, shotgun, or handgun I own has the serial number on the frame or receiver. Can't say I have ever seen a S/N on a barrel.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:28 AM
Liked 109 Times in 55 Posts

My bad,I didn't mean to say barrel
Old 11-26-2015, 10:15 PM
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

Finally got it back after 8 weeks. Took them that long to put a new plate on the side. That was all they did. I think they spent more time making sure it wasn't stolen. Which is understandable.