Smith & Wesson Forum

Advertise With Us Search
Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Rifles and Shotguns > Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 Dedicated to the Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22

Old 12-06-2015, 07:53 PM
Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle?  
Liked 48 Times in 35 Posts
Default Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle?

New member long time viewer. Got my new charging handle and the bolt drags on it considerably. Sometimes to the point that the hammer won't reset. The stock plastic ch has a bevel in the slot where the bolt rides back and forth. Also the channel on the new ch is slightly longer so unless you rack the ch and let go it won't latch unless you help it. Hope that makes sense to the rest of you
The Following User Likes This Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 03:28 PM
Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle? Anyone else having trouble with new next level armament charging handle?  
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I've not taken mine to the range yet since installing it so I can't speak to the hammer resetting yet, but... I do have the issue with it not latching home unless you force it forward or rack it and let it go abruptly. Figured that it might get better as it breaks in and is lubricated some more. Still it's wonderful to be able to access the charging handle around the 3x magnifier I have mounted.
Old 12-07-2015, 05:44 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Sounds like it is poorly designed and manufactured ...
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
Old 12-07-2015, 06:23 PM
Liked 1,247 Times in 650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
What is that distant fanfare.....?
The trumpeting of Doomsday, all over again?
Old 12-07-2015, 07:48 PM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostMutt View Post
Maybe it's the way that I cock my rifle, I pull to the rear and release. Bolt goes forward and feeds a round, handle goes back and locks in to closed position, left and right handed.

If I pull to rear and "feed" the handle forward, needs a little push to lock it home.

However, I have ALWAYS been taught and subsiquently taught new recruits and seasoned troops to let the spring set the bolt forward and in place.

This is I believe standard practice for Mil type rifles. That said I am speaking for UK systems not US.
It is a well known point that if you "hand feed" a bolt / charging handle forward it will likely cause a malfunction. Hence the need to forward assist on the SA80 family of weapons. Pull handle to rear and release = no misfeed and correct locking of bolt face to breach etc.

350 rounds on Sat to try out new handle = 0 feed / locking issues.

Only problems I had were ammo related ftf.

So I am happy mine works fine.

That said my DD ambi worked fine also so I'm pretty sure it's not how I'm using it that's the issue.

That's my 2 cents.

Not interested in feeding a frenzy or stoking a fire. Mine works so I'm happy, If I decide later that I don't like it no more I will simply drop in my former Tacticool T bar with NDZ latch. Another 0 issue handle.

All the best for the rest of you with your new handles, Ambi or T bars or OEM Plastic ones.

Rob.

Last edited by Rob1; 12-07-2015 at 07:51 PM.
Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM
Liked 655 Times in 370 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke79 View Post
New member long time viewer. Got my new charging handle and the bolt drags on it considerably. Sometimes to the point that the hammer won't reset. The stock plastic ch has a bevel in the slot where the bolt rides back and forth. Also the channel on the new ch is slightly longer so unless you rack the ch and let go it won't latch unless you help it. Hope that makes sense to the rest of you
Nope. Not me. Mine works fine. And very happy I am with it too.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:22 PM

Have run a plinker tactical since i got my 15-22, oversized latch clears my scope, i only charge with my left hand..so ambi is a non issue for me...i have never had any problem with mine.....if it aint broke....
Out of all the other aftermarket CH's i like the look of the MST one the most and would have that one if i ever saw the need to swap...that being said i am looking forward to seeing what tacticool22 has to offer.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM
Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majorlk View Post
I agree with you on the design Major,in my opinion it looks very simular to the Doomsday ch that had the latch sitting to straight to the handle, the doomsday handle with a bit of use teared up the raised pip on lock up.... my picture shows on the left the Doomday ch in the middle one of my MST handles,that the latch sits at a more friendly angle with a lead onto the raised pip resulting in a more gentle lock up and on the right is one of tacticools very good alloy ch's

keith

Last edited by trebor127; 12-09-2015 at 01:05 PM.
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
Old 12-08-2015, 08:59 AM
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I put mine in last night and am seeing similar issues with a little hangup, etc. I agree that you should let the spring do its work as this will avoid improper seating or jamming. This will definitely tear up the small nib that locks the t-handle in place over time. I noticed this right away as it immediately started to score it. Once that nib is gone, it's gone. I put the stock charging handle back in for now until I can decide if I am willing to live with those things in order to have the ambi charge handle on my 15-22.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:21 PM
Liked 4,286 Times in 2,238 Posts

Quote:
FWIW, I have been running a Doomsday for almost two years with zero problems.
Old 12-09-2015, 12:34 AM

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll probably just remove a little material in the affected areas and everything will be just fine. Nobody but me will ever know the difference
Old 02-09-2016, 04:02 PM
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Ground Zero Precision charging handle for the 15-22 didn't work, I contacted them and they are sending me a new one! They have done some mods to them and according to Next level which is the maker, they should work fine.. Stay tuned.....

Last edited by rvzoo11; 02-12-2016 at 01:37 AM.
Old 02-09-2016, 11:03 PM
Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts

Im glad I didnt go with the NLA charging handle but my MST is still in Australia best I can tell.....
Old 02-10-2016, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbpwrd240 View Post
Im glad I didnt go with the NLA charging handle but my MST is still in Australia best I can tell.....
Don't you mean South Africa?
Old 02-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Liked 130 Times in 93 Posts

Quote:
Don't you mean South Africa?
Insert Pig headed American comment here.....

But yes I do....
Old 02-10-2016, 05:15 PM

Lol, I am married to a South African, apparently that means i am one.
Old 09-22-2016, 01:25 AM

So do the new ones resolve the previous issues? If so how do I trade my old one for a new one? I have no paperwork or packaging. Just game in a plain brown box for or a gun
Old 09-22-2016, 01:36 AM

From Oregon. In a plain cardboard package
Old 09-22-2016, 01:39 AM

Don't let your dog or baby help you type. It never works out very well lol
Old 09-22-2016, 10:32 AM
Liked 254 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor127 View Post
...and on the right is one of tacticools very good alloy ch's

I like the look of that "tacticool" charging handle. Where do you get those?

Mike
Old 09-22-2016, 12:35 PM
Liked 923 Times in 309 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortec MAX View Post
I like the look of that "tacticool" charging handle. Where do you get those?

Mike
Mike the one on the right is Jody's from tacticool22

but not made any more........

keith
Old 09-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Liked 254 Times in 140 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor127 View Post
Mike the one on the right is Jody's from tacticool22

but not made any more........

keith
That figures. Hey, at least I have a Comp Carrier oversized bolt knob for my Benelli M4. Word on those is they are worth their weight in gold.

Mike