Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #301  
Old 08-09-2016, 02:48 AM
Volsabor Volsabor is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Angry slide stop doesn't work?

New out of the box, un-fired firearm, just getting used to the weapon; and while field striping the firearm I noticed that the slide lock doesn't work. what went wrong?? Just odd that it happened, I was looking forward to take it plinking today. Didn't want to potential damage the firearm. I want to know what's going on with it before I use it.
Reply With Quote
  #302  
Old 08-09-2016, 05:39 AM
wesnellans's Avatar
wesnellans wesnellans is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Indiana
Posts: 71
Likes: 26
Liked 79 Times in 33 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsabor View Post
New out of the box, un-fired firearm, just getting used to the weapon; and while field striping the firearm I noticed that the slide lock doesn't work. what went wrong?? Just odd that it happened, I was looking forward to take it plinking today. Didn't want to potential damage the firearm. I want to know what's going on with it before I use it.
Just a guess - but I'm thinking the 45 version is no different than the 9 and 40 versions in this regard...the slide stop/release lever you manipulate is well forward of where the actual tang engages the slide. To lock the slide to the rear you must have the slide pulled further back, past the point of the lever.

Pull the slide back as far as you can with an empty mag in place, you'll see how it engages.
__________________
Yep. I'm THAT guy. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #303  
Old 08-09-2016, 09:34 AM
Maxshield's Avatar
Maxshield Maxshield is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: PA
Posts: 134
Likes: 171
Liked 119 Times in 56 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volsabor View Post
New out of the box, un-fired firearm, just getting used to the weapon; and while field striping the firearm I noticed that the slide lock doesn't work. what went wrong?? Just odd that it happened, I was looking forward to take it plinking today. Didn't want to potential damage the firearm. I want to know what's going on with it before I use it.
Mine was tough at first, just locked it back hard and left it that way for 2 days. Works fine now.

Mags were tough too. Better now
Reply With Quote
  #304  
Old 08-09-2016, 05:14 PM
foxtail207's Avatar
foxtail207 foxtail207 is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Wet Mountain Valley, CO
Posts: 10
Likes: 2
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Hi guys, my first post...
My birthday was Aug 1st , so I ordered myself a M&P 45 Shield, no safety, from an online dealer in Phoenix, AZ for $414, and shipped free to my FFL. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but I have thoroughly cleaned it, oiled it, and worked the action by hand about 200 times to loosen it up some.
I love the looks and feel of the gun - except for the overly agressive grip surface. I saw where someone here sanded it with 400 grit paper, but I decided to add a full size, universal Hogue Handall slip on grip sleeve. I did have to trim the sleeve some and it fits pretty well except for being a little wide, front to back, at the bottom of the grip, but not too bad. The sleeve also adds a palm swell that I personally like.
This is my first S&W pistol (I have mostly Rugers) and I really had to search to even find the 45 shield, especially without the external safety. I really didn't realize that they were just released, so that, and the demand, has created a real shortage right now it seems. It does seem that there are a few available with the safety, but they don't really too last long.
I'd be interested in knowing if any other M&P 45 mags will fit the shield. For the range, I wish I could get a 14 rounder like the standard M&P uses. Being new to S&W M&Ps, will it fit? Length hang out wouldn't bother me.
Holsters are pretty rare, and especially a LH one, but I did find this, and ordered it. It comes tomorrow...



I've also ordered more range ammo and SD ammo.

More later after a trip to the range, maybe next week.

Last edited by foxtail207; 08-09-2016 at 05:17 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #305  
Old 08-14-2016, 09:32 AM
REARSPROCKET's Avatar
REARSPROCKET REARSPROCKET is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Coastal Northeast
Posts: 63
Likes: 5
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

I rented one @ my LGS because it was the only one they had left in stock. First shot went POA and then the slide locked back with the next round nose down in the mag? I was like *** ? so I dropped mag and smacked rear to seat rounds and reinserted it. All the next shots went off and POA, so I'm not so sure now about purchasing one. My 9 has never had any issues from day one, but I personally cleaned and lubed it before the first shot. After hearing others have the same thing happen IDK what caused it ? even if I did accidently pushed up on the slide lock why was the next round nose down in the mag ? I think someone that owns one should try and push up on the slide lock for a shot and see if the top round in the mag is nose down when it locks open? Then we'll know for sure if the lock open is operator error or not.

Last edited by REARSPROCKET; 08-14-2016 at 10:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #306  
Old 08-14-2016, 06:09 PM
Bonephish Bonephish is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Slidell, LA
Posts: 296
Likes: 19
Liked 130 Times in 80 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by REARSPROCKET View Post
First shot went POA and then the slide locked back with the next round nose down in the mag? After hearing others have the same thing happen IDK what caused it ?
Mine does that with WWB .45 but not Hornady Critical Defense. The WWB round-nose ball ammo sometimes strikes the slide lock tab and locks open the slide, while the Hornady bullet nose clears the tab. I filed the tab slightly to allow more clearance.
Reply With Quote
  #307  
Old 08-14-2016, 06:24 PM
accessbob's Avatar
accessbob accessbob is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 380
Likes: 286
Liked 81 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxtail207 View Post
Hi guys, my first post...
My birthday was Aug 1st , so I ordered myself a M&P 45 Shield, no safety, from an online dealer in Phoenix, AZ for $414, and shipped free to my FFL. I haven't had a chance to fire it yet but I have thoroughly cleaned it, oiled it, and worked the action by hand about 200 times to loosen it up some.
I love the looks and feel of the gun - except for the overly agressive grip surface. I saw where someone here sanded it with 400 grit paper, but I decided to add a full size, universal Hogue Handall slip on grip sleeve. I did have to trim the sleeve some and it fits pretty well except for being a little wide, front to back, at the bottom of the grip, but not too bad. The sleeve also adds a palm swell that I personally like.
This is my first S&W pistol (I have mostly Rugers) and I really had to search to even find the 45 shield, especially without the external safety. I really didn't realize that they were just released, so that, and the demand, has created a real shortage right now it seems. It does seem that there are a few available with the safety, but they don't really too last long.
I'd be interested in knowing if any other M&P 45 mags will fit the shield. For the range, I wish I could get a 14 rounder like the standard M&P uses. Being new to S&W M&Ps, will it fit? Length hang out wouldn't bother me.
Holsters are pretty rare, and especially a LH one, but I did find this, and ordered it. It comes tomorrow... Amazon.com : Desantis D94KB5EZ0 DS Paddle Holster, Black : Sports & Outdoors

I've also ordered more range ammo and SD ammo.

More later after a trip to the range, maybe next week.
No, no other M&P mags will fit.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
__________________
G21C,Shield.40,LCP
Reply With Quote
  #308  
Old 08-14-2016, 09:28 PM
kthom kthom is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: West Texas
Posts: 1,298
Likes: 1,435
Liked 1,867 Times in 761 Posts
Default

My first shooting experience with the .45 Shield involved 100 WWWB FMJ rounds. I had zero feed or function problems at all. However, using my Uplula loader, I did have some issues reloading magazines. I found that the clearance inside the Shield mags is minimal for the size of the round. My Uplula was found to be slightly moving each round a tiny bit forward so that the tip of the bullet was either rubbing against the inside of the mag or slightly sticking out beyond the front wall of the mag. That would result in the round tipping downward at the rear when pressing the loader down to load the next round. I could press that top round to the back side of the mad and then would have no problem. I began to hold the loaded round in place against the back side of the mad as I released the tongue on the loader for the next round. I also made certain after loading each mag thereafter to smack the mag against my palm to fully seat all rounds to the rear wall of the mag. After making this change, I had no more issues with loading the mags. I have not tried any other brands or styles of ammo as yet, but I expect to remedy that situation sometime this coming week. I would say that any round loaded to any longer OAL than the WWWB loads might have issues fitting in these magazines. I'm doubting this would be the case with any premium HP loading for the caliber.

I was extremely pleased with the way my example of the .45 Shield fired and functioned. For me, the recoil was entirely tolerable and no issue. Shot to shot recovery was good. The grip surface allowed complete control of the weapon during firing and at the same time caused no discomfort whatsoever during the hundred rounds, even with a couple mags fired at maximum speed. At this point, I am entirely pleased with this weapon platform. I shoot it as well or better than the same platform in 9MM and do not detect much if any difference in my ability to fire either one as accurately as my old eyes and diminishing skills will allow. I intend to shoot both calibers together next outing to see if I can tell any difference in perceived recoil at that time. Physics is physics, and I'm sure that the .45 probably gives more calculated recoil than the 9, but as far as the way the .45 handles recoil in my hands, I find nothing objectable at all with it. It's a great shooter, and I believe it will be a great EDC if one wishes to carry the .45. I personally am very comfortable carrying either one for EDC and believe they will both do the job well with good anti-personnnel rounds loaded as long as either round is delivered to the place where they can each likely do the most damage. I like the Shield .45 and look forward to getting even better acquainted with mine!
__________________
So long ... Pudge
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #309  
Old 08-15-2016, 01:43 AM
jstanfield103's Avatar
jstanfield103 jstanfield103 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 607
Likes: 12
Liked 247 Times in 125 Posts
Default

Funny to read all the past post's on this thread. I bet a whole lot of people wish they could take their comments back. I own one and like very much.
Reply With Quote
  #310  
Old 08-15-2016, 05:57 PM
REARSPROCKET's Avatar
REARSPROCKET REARSPROCKET is offline
Member
Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45 Shield .45  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Coastal Northeast
Posts: 63
Likes: 5
Liked 26 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonephish View Post
Mine does that with WWB .45 but not Hornady Critical Defense. The WWB round-nose ball ammo sometimes strikes the slide lock tab and locks open the slide, while the Hornady bullet nose clears the tab. I filed the tab slightly to allow more clearance.
That makes perfect sense, did yours also have the next round nose down in the mag when the slide lock engaged ?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
1911, 3913, 45acp, cartridge, cs45, cs9, m39, model 39, ppk, shield, smith & wesson, smith and wesson

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Video proof 9mm Shield in .40 Shield slide/frame Smitty357 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 19 05-07-2017 09:27 PM
Got the 9mm Ported Shield today. Range report & compared to regular Shield M5RahuL Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 44 05-07-2017 12:51 PM
Trigger on PC 9mm shield vs. std 9 shield vs. apex 9 shield? Flyingfool Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 17 02-14-2017 11:04 AM
Anyone used a Techna Clip on a shield for pocket carry--what's best shield holsters BryanD Gun Leather & Carry Gear 20 10-26-2016 07:47 AM
Shot the Shield, Love the Shield, shoulda' listened to the Doc gunny4053 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 71 07-06-2015 03:04 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:03 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)