Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols > Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:42 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Likes: 4
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Difference in Shield and M&P pistols

Hello all,

I've noticed a lot of people talking about the Shield recently, and I have grown curious - What is the difference between the M&P and the Shield? Is the shield more concealable than the M&P pistols?

I currently own a full size M&P 40, and plan on getting a conceal carry version of the M&P 40 next, but I've noticed the Shield pistols are cheaper...
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:01 PM
Maddmax's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N.E. Iowa Boondocks USA
Posts: 2,618
Likes: 4,979
Liked 1,358 Times in 856 Posts
Default

The Shield IS an M&P. It's a single stack thin frame M&P,with just a tad shorter barrel than the compac.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:07 PM
MP22's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 3,036
Likes: 162
Liked 213 Times in 169 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddmax View Post
The Shield IS an M&P. It's a single stack thin frame M&P,with just a tad shorter barrel than the compac.
Well said..I agree.
__________________
Lt. Dan, what R U doing here?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-23-2012, 10:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 497
Likes: 150
Liked 96 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltran View Post
Hello all,

I've noticed a lot of people talking about the Shield recently, and I have grown curious - What is the difference between the M&P and the Shield? Is the shield more concealable than the M&P pistols?

I currently own a full size M&P 40, and plan on getting a conceal carry version of the M&P 40 next, but I've noticed the Shield pistols are cheaper...
The above posters are correct, the Shield is another M&P model. Main differences to the larger M&Ps are no ambidextrous controls - mag release, slide lock, and safety only are on the left side, and the backstrap is fixed, not interchangeable. The safety is much smaller and not optional on the Shield.

So in 40 cal, your choice is either to get an M&P 40c (compact), or the M&P Shield 40. The Shield is only slightly smaller in length, but slimmer than the 40c. It is also single stack vs the 40c double stack. Overall, the Shield is a bit more concealable depending on how you carry and dress. Some even say they pocket carry the Shield, but it's too big for me to do that.

Last edited by shield; 07-23-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-24-2012, 10:27 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Likes: 4
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shield View Post
The above posters are correct, the Shield is another M&P model. Main differences to the larger M&Ps are no ambidextrous controls - mag release, slide lock, and safety only are on the left side, and the backstrap is fixed, not interchangeable. The safety is much smaller and not optional on the Shield.

So in 40 cal, your choice is either to get an M&P 40c (compact), or the M&P Shield 40. The Shield is only slightly smaller in length, but slimmer than the 40c. It is also single stack vs the 40c double stack. Overall, the Shield is a bit more concealable depending on how you carry and dress. Some even say they pocket carry the Shield, but it's too big for me to do that.
I see. I knew it was an M&P series pistol, I just didn't quite know how to differentiate between the regular M&P .40 and the Shield .40.

I think I would rather having the double stacked mag, so I'll probably go with the M&P .40c. However, I think the 9mm Shield might be something good for my sister to carry...hmm...must investigate.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-24-2012, 11:07 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does the "regular" M&P have the mag drop problems too?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tempe, AZ
Posts: 497
Likes: 150
Liked 96 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMan5 View Post
Does the "regular" M&P have the mag drop problems too?
It does not. The rest of the M&P's have been around for quite awhile and are proven. The Shield 40 is new and the only one I've heard of with reports of mag problems. I have the Shield 9 and no mag problem.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-25-2012, 01:29 PM
Chevy's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: North East
Posts: 46
Likes: 3
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Default

There is also a difference in the triggers I thought. The original M&P doesn't have the same trigger as the Shield. The Shield has a very smooth and crisp break and reset. The reset you can really feel and even hear. I thought the original M & P s didn't have this.

I had heard that S&W was going to change this going forward in the M & P line and replace the older trigger with the newer Shield design. Don't know if that has happened yet or not.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-25-2012, 04:21 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 9
Likes: 4
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy View Post
There is also a difference in the triggers I thought. The original M&P doesn't have the same trigger as the Shield. The Shield has a very smooth and crisp break and reset. The reset you can really feel and even hear. I thought the original M & P s didn't have this.

I had heard that S&W was going to change this going forward in the M & P line and replace the older trigger with the newer Shield design. Don't know if that has happened yet or not.
I bought my M&P .40 about 2 weeks ago, they haven't put that change in yet (as far as I can tell).
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-25-2012, 04:30 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 135
Likes: 40
Liked 24 Times in 15 Posts
Default

I have put several boxes of rounds trough my Shield .40 without any problems. Eats everything and no mag drop either. I am one who pocket carries the Shield in jeans, slacks, and cargo shorts. Highly concealable. Would not work with a double stack.

Last edited by ccpacker; 07-25-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-25-2012, 04:38 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
Likes: 16
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I have a shield .40. I also have a glock 23, which is a 2x4 compared to it. I am thinking hard about trading my glock for a M&P 9c. I went to the LGS and looked at one, just to get a good close look at it. OH brother!, it feels really good in my hands. Funny thing, on the shield, with the normal mag, I can get a full grip on it. On the 9c i can only get my middle and ring finger on it and it's a chunkier gun. I asked permission to dry fire the 9c just to see what folks are talking about with the trigger, I did find some grittiness on it, but other than that the trigger feels fine to me. I mean, i'm no gun expert by any means. Seemed pretty smooth. Get the shield you won't be unhappy =)
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-25-2012, 04:42 PM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 130
Likes: 16
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Default

I have the shield .40 cal. I also have a glock 23, which feels like a 2x4 now that I have the shield, so i'm gonna trade with someone for a M&P 9c for the glock. I went to the LGS to look at a 9c and I really like it. On the shield i can get a full grip with the small mag. With the 9c I can only get middle and ring finger, my pinky actually dangles off the end. I also tried the trigger because I heard there were issues with M&P triggers and although I felt some grittiness, it has a long pull and felt pretty smooth to me. I have fired my glock 1,300 rounds with 5 no bangs, and the guy i'm trading with says he only shot a few boxes out of it. Get the shield, you wont be unhappy.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-25-2012, 05:38 PM
Maddmax's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: N.E. Iowa Boondocks USA
Posts: 2,618
Likes: 4,979
Liked 1,358 Times in 856 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deltran View Post
I see. I knew it was an M&P series pistol, I just didn't quite know how to differentiate between the regular M&P .40 and the Shield .40.

I think I would rather having the double stacked mag, so I'll probably go with the M&P .40c. However, I think the 9mm Shield might be something good for my sister to carry...hmm...must investigate.
Be EXTREMELY careful. I too have a sister and almost lost my FS 45 to her. She's small framed and small hands but can make that FS 45 talk.

Might let her check out the 9c and the 9 Shield both. She might even like the 40.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Houdini1953's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Hendersonville Tennessee
Posts: 872
Likes: 78
Liked 140 Times in 107 Posts
Default

The Shield is in fact an M&P and I have the M&P Shield40 and I also have a M&P 40Compact and a full size plus a mid sized M&P45 and Full size M&P45 as can be seen below:



Yep it is an M&P and no I have not had the mag drop problem just like my other 6 M&P's I have never had a problem (except getting extra magazines)!
__________________
59,M&P9,40,40C,357,(2)45,G26
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-25-2012, 07:20 PM
accessbob's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Portland, Oregon
Posts: 351
Likes: 262
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Default

I have the 40c and love it. My wife has the Shield 9mm and loves it. I like it too and want a Shield .40. And I've shot the Shield 9 and .40 side by side and I couldn't distinguish a difference in recoil or handling.
__________________
M&P Shield .40 and LCP
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-25-2012, 08:22 PM
ET. ET. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Savannah
Posts: 188
Likes: 0
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Default

I have a 40 Shield also & haven't had any of the problems with it either. I too was impressed with the limited recoil that it has shown. I have a friend who bought a Ruger LC9 and I noticed that it has more recoil than my Shield 40 when we shot them side by side last week. I was amazed!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I have a m&p 9mm compact and i havent had any problems with the mag drop or safety issues at all. My gun works amazing id have to say its absolutely flawless. I have heard in reviews that you have to pull the trigger when u break it down. I don't have to at all.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols Thread, Difference in Shield and M&P pistols in Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols; Hello all, I've noticed a lot of people talking about the Shield recently, and I have grown curious - What ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Difference between these two 9L's???? air8 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 1 06-09-2012 02:08 AM
Difference between a 39 and 39-2 SPEEDGUNNER Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 5 02-04-2011 08:24 PM
Difference between Mod 57 & 58 Dueeast S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 7 01-28-2011 09:34 PM
Does $8 difference for .357 Sig make a difference setting up a switch barrel? clarkemyers Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 0 03-29-2010 02:45 PM
What's the difference between a 27 & 28? Lou_NC S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 18 10-30-2008 08:11 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:49 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)