Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols > Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:00 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 140
Likes: 0
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Default Truglo on 45C

Anyone know if Truglo makes a specific fiber optic sight for the M&P 45 or 45C? The ads and description of their FO sights indicate M&P generic and not specific to 9mm/40 or 45. Thinking of putting a set on my alternate 45C. thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2013, 09:46 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 32
Likes: 14
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Thumbs up TFO sights for M & P 45c

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultratec00 View Post
Anyone know if Truglo makes a specific fiber optic sight for the M&P 45 or 45C? The ads and description of their FO sights indicate M&P generic and not specific to 9mm/40 or 45. Thinking of putting a set on my alternate 45C. thanks
Interesting to see this question on this topic. I have been in contact with Kevin Levin at Truglo about my TFO sights installed on my M & P 45c. I have included some of the email from Kevin regarding this. I thought my 45c was shooting low and requested the same information. In short one size fits all.

After performing the suggested test at 25 yards I found that these sights worked fine on my 45c. Bottom line Truglo has done a great job working with me to correct a problem I thought I had. They would have taken the slide with mounted sights to correct the problem if it was needed.



525 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
mailto:klevin@truglo.com
P# 972.774.0300 x 120
F# 972.774.0323

Subject: RE: Technical - Gun from the Truglo Website

Dear Mr. Barker,

The best thing to do is to send in your slide and our engineers can examine the two sights in relationship to the slide and see if there is a simple fix for this POI problem.

Our sights are designed for a combat-style POI (directly behind the front sight dot) at 25 yards with a sight picture where all three dots are in alignment. When shooting with the three dots aligned, you will have a slightly swamped sight picture as illustrated above.

While your results are shooting low, wed ask you to try at the factory designed distance of 25 yards and report back to us with these results. It is important that all shooting be done from a solid rest for repeatability of results.

If you can provide details on the ammunition used, make, bullet style, weight, velocity if available and actual results (location of group and yardage of target), this is all good information to help determine corrective action.



Ken Levin
Customer Service Manager
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CORRECT TFO sight picture.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	116368   Click image for larger version

Name:	INCORRECT TFO sight picture.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	116369  
__________________
640 Pro 340PD M & P22 Governor
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:32 AM
Soldiernurse's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 163
Likes: 175
Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Interesting to see this question on this topic. I have been in contact with Kevin Levin at Truglo about my TFO sights installed on my M & P 45c. I have included some of the email from Kevin regarding this. I thought my 45c was shooting low and requested the same information. In short one size fits all.

After performing the suggested test at 25 yards I found that these sights worked fine on my 45c. Bottom line Truglo has done a great job working with me to correct a problem I thought I had. They would have taken the slide with mounted sights to correct the problem if it was needed.



525 International Parkway
Richardson, Texas 75081
mailto:klevin@truglo.com
P# 972.774.0300 x 120
F# 972.774.0323

Subject: RE: Technical - Gun from the Truglo Website

Dear Mr. Barker,

The best thing to do is to send in your slide and our engineers can examine the two sights in relationship to the slide and see if there is a simple fix for this POI problem.

Our sights are designed for a combat-style POI (directly behind the front sight dot) at 25 yards with a sight picture where all three dots are in alignment. When shooting with the three dots aligned, you will have a slightly swamped sight picture as illustrated above.

While your results are shooting low, wed ask you to try at the factory designed distance of 25 yards and report back to us with these results. It is important that all shooting be done from a solid rest for repeatability of results.

If you can provide details on the ammunition used, make, bullet style, weight, velocity if available and actual results (location of group and yardage of target), this is all good information to help determine corrective action.



Ken Levin
Customer Service Manager
Swamped picture? Can you explain why the two pics are different? TIA!
__________________
Shield40&9C w/ApexDCAEK/TFO's
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-08-2013, 10:51 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 145
Likes: 9
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Can you explain why the two pics are different?
Picture on the left has the three green dots lined up in a straight horizontal line, which causes the top of the front sight to dip slightly below the back sight. Picture on the right has the top of the front sight level with the top of the back sight, however, the 3 dots are no longer lined up.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-08-2013, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 32
Likes: 14
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Sansho,

Truglo attached the pics to illustrate how the sights might be sighted. The one with the front and rear dots aligned horizontally is their correct way of alignment. The other pic with the center post aligned with the top of the rear sight is their illustration of how they should not be aligned.
__________________
640 Pro 340PD M & P22 Governor
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CT
Posts: 145
Likes: 9
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Default

Quote:
Truglo attached the pics to illustrate how the sights might be sighted. The one with the front and rear dots aligned horizontally is their correct way of alignment. The other pic with the center post aligned with the top of the rear sight is their illustration of how they should not be aligned.
Good clarification. I was only pointing out the difference in the illustrations, assuming the person asking the question had read the captions and didn't see the differences.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-08-2013, 07:36 PM
Soldiernurse's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Texas
Posts: 163
Likes: 175
Liked 46 Times in 24 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry View Post
Sansho,

Truglo attached the pics to illustrate how the sights might be sighted. The one with the front and rear dots aligned horizontally is their correct way of alignment. The other pic with the center post aligned with the top of the rear sight is their illustration of how they should not be aligned.
That is the answer I was looking for, thank you.
__________________
Shield40&9C w/ApexDCAEK/TFO's
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Rastoff's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
Posts: 4,538
Likes: 365
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,253 Posts
Default

I find this very interesting. This is the first time I've heard an actual manufacturer state that the dots should be lined up and not the top of the sight.

Further, I find it interesting that the manufacturer would suggest lowering the front sight as a correction for a gun shooting low.

Curiouser and curiouser.
__________________
Freedom isn't free.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-10-2013, 04:59 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 32
Likes: 14
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default 3 dot sights

Rastoff,

Interesting post today on 3 dot sights inquiring the same issue on the stock 3 dot sights on M & P models.

I have looked at some of my other handguns with 3 dot sights and most all of them, there will be a different poi depending if you sight by the 3 dots or conventional sighting method lining up front post at top of the notch.
__________________
640 Pro 340PD M & P22 Governor
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Rastoff's Avatar
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
Posts: 4,538
Likes: 365
Liked 2,557 Times in 1,253 Posts
Default

Wow, I have to eat a little crow here. Lowering the front sight is the right way to go for a gun shooting low. It will raise the POI.

Yes, the POI will change when lining up the dots vs the top of the sights. I wonder how much that difference will be? I'm not a fan of using the dots for sight alignment.
__________________
Freedom isn't free.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-21-2013, 06:40 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 32
Likes: 14
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Default Lowering Front Sight

I questioned that when I contacted TruGlo, and of course there is no practical way to lower the front sight or raise the rear sight. I primarily concentrate on my front sight when shooting combat and may align the 3 dots. Aiming for center mass at combat distance, differences will be insignificant but if your shooting at 25 yards or more at bulls eye or target there will be a lot of difference.
__________________
640 Pro 340PD M & P22 Governor
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols Thread, Truglo on 45C in Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols; Anyone know if Truglo makes a specific fiber optic sight for the M&P 45 or 45C? The ads and description ...
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Truglo sights Alley Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 3 05-16-2013 10:43 PM
Truglo - shield Dean1818 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 2 11-17-2012 10:51 AM
TruGlo on a 22A Rufus Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 13 05-01-2012 11:01 PM
TruGlo Palmetto Sharpshooter Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 13 03-16-2011 07:15 PM
Truglo Red Dot mattz357 Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 18 03-06-2010 10:37 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:38 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2013
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)