Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-28-2013, 05:08 AM
sgmann69 sgmann69 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Likes: 13
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default Apex Sear for Shield

I just finished installing an Apex sear in my Shield .40 with no issues. It literally took me like 10 minutes from start to finish. I didn't purchase the whole trigger kit, because I didn't want to deal with removing the rear sight. I was really only interested in lowering the trigger pull.
I now have a nice 4.5 pound trigger pull. If you leave the stock springs in place you will get a 4.5 pound trigger. If you use the springs that come with the kit it will give you a 5.5 pound trigger. Again, I only bought the Apex sear, and not the whole kit. I'm very happy with the results. Thanks Apex!!! I will be going to the range on Monday to see how the new trigger improves my accuracy.
If I can do this anyone can, lol!!! It's a good feeling to learn a little about the gun that may save your life one day. I don't post very often, but the people on this forum are simply outstanding. I read the forum everyday. Thanks guys!!

Steve
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM
robkarrob robkarrob is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,425
Likes: 3
Liked 507 Times in 291 Posts
Default

I also installed the Apex sear, but I also installed their striker block, and used all the stock Shield springs. I did not buy the kit, but just those two parts. My trigger pull was 4 pounds 4 ounces. I then removed the stock trigger spring and replaced it with a standard Glock trigger spring. The pull weight was reduced to 3 pounds 10-12 ounces. I now have the pull weight just where I want it.

I installed the Apex blocker, to remove the gritty pull. When I assembled the gun, with the Apex parts, I still had the gritty pull. I pulled the blocker out and found a machining burr, in the blocker bore. Most people think the "gritty" pull is the contact of the trigger bar blocker tab, contacting the blocker. My experience is that S&W machines the blocker bore first, and then machines the striker bore, which can leave a burr in the blocker bore (both bores intersect). I have much experience in production machining, and I find major fault that S&W does not have an operation to make sure there are no burrs in the blocker bore. A simple pass of a hone would solve this problem. Once I removed that burr and reinstalled the blocker, the gritty pull was gone. I now have a very smooth pull, with no buildup or stacking. A constant trigger pull that only moves 1/16 inch to break, once the take up/pre-travel is gone. Release the trigger 1/16 inch and the trigger resets. A nice short, smooth, soft pull to break, with a short reset.

Bob

Last edited by robkarrob; 07-28-2013 at 12:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmann69 View Post
I just finished installing an Apex sear in my Shield .40 with no issues. It literally took me like 10 minutes from start to finish. I didn't purchase the whole trigger kit, because I didn't want to deal with removing the rear sight. I was really only interested in lowering the trigger pull.
I now have a nice 4.5 pound trigger pull. If you leave the stock springs in place you will get a 4.5 pound trigger. If you use the springs that come with the kit it will give you a 5.5 pound trigger. Again, I only bought the Apex sear, and not the whole kit. I'm very happy with the results. Thanks Apex!!! I will be going to the range on Monday to see how the new trigger improves my accuracy.
If I can do this anyone can, lol!!! It's a good feeling to learn a little about the gun that may save your life one day. I don't post very often, but the people on this forum are simply outstanding. I read the forum everyday. Thanks guys!!

Steve
That is exatly what I did (sear only) and LOVE IT. I like the feel of the stock striker block, as it helps me stage easier.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-28-2013, 05:35 PM
sgmann69 sgmann69 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Likes: 13
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Bob you rule!! I used your You Tube videos as a reference when I installed my sear. Very well done videos.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-29-2013, 02:25 PM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

This is great info. So what parts of the kit don't allow it to get as low?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Brucenterry's Avatar
Brucenterry Brucenterry is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 175
Likes: 61
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default Apex Fully Machined Sear for S&W M&P Pistols

Is the hard sear for M&P's a universal part for all M&P's (except 45's)?

I like to reduce pull weight only on both Shield and a 9c....can I order 2 of the same parts?

Thanks....Bruce
__________________
9/40FS, 9c, 9 Shield, MP22
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucenterry View Post
Is the hard sear for M&P's a universal part for all M&P's (except 45's)?

I like to reduce pull weight only on both Shield and a 9c....can I order 2 of the same parts?

Thanks....Bruce
Yes sir. https://apextactical.com/store/produ...php?pid18.html
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-29-2013, 04:22 PM
Brucenterry's Avatar
Brucenterry Brucenterry is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 175
Likes: 61
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
Thanks...love your Avitar!
__________________
9/40FS, 9c, 9 Shield, MP22
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-29-2013, 07:22 PM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
So basically its their spring combination rate that causes only the 5.5lbs? But if I use the GL 26 spring and stock shield spring I should get around 3.5 average?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-29-2013, 10:17 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
So basically its their spring combination rate that causes only the 5.5lbs? But if I use the GL 26 spring and stock shield spring I should get around 3.5 average?
I think so. I do not know for certain, as I have only ever installed the sear. Robkarrob would know more than me, on this.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #11  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:12 AM
robkarrob robkarrob is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,425
Likes: 3
Liked 507 Times in 291 Posts
Default

Yes it should be around 3.5 to 3.75, or so. By using the Glock trigger spring, instead of the stock trigger spring, my pull weight dropped .5 pound. These guns are all a little different, and a trigger pull weight variation of .5 pound, between different guns, would not be unusual.

The Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit (DCAEK) comes with a trigger spring and two different sized sear springs. The difference between the sear springs is diameter, not tension. All the D/C springs have more tension/pressure, than the stock springs. By using the Apex springs the trigger pull should be 5 to 5.5 pounds. By keeping the stock springs the trigger pull weight would drop about 1 pound, 4 to 4.5 pounds.

Apparently Apex feels a carry gun should not have a light pull. I agree with that for an inexperienced/new shooter, or someone that does not practice often, with the lighter trigger pull. My Shield has a 3 pound 10-12 ounce pull, which is perfect for me. I found this recent article on light trigger pulls, for carry guns, on the Guns & Ammo website.


Should Your Concealed Carry Gun Have a Light Trigger? - Handguns


Bob

Last edited by robkarrob; 07-30-2013 at 01:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-30-2013, 01:37 AM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
Yes it should be around 3.5 to 3.75, or so. By using the Glock trigger spring, instead of the stock trigger spring, my pull weight dropped .5 pound. These guns are all a little different, and a trigger pull weight variation of .5 pound, between different guns, would not be unusual.

The Apex Duty/Carry trigger kit (DCAEK) comes with a trigger spring and two different sized sear springs. The difference between the sear springs is diameter, not tension. All the D/C springs have more tension/pressure, than the stock springs. By using the Apex springs the trigger pull should be 5 to 5.5 pounds. By keeping the stock springs the trigger pull weight would drop about 1 pound, 4 to 4.5 pounds.

Apparently Apex feels a carry gun should not have a light pull. I agree with that for an inexperienced/new shooter, or someone that does not practice often, with the lighter trigger pull. My Shield has a 3 pound 10-12 ounce pull, which is perfect for me. I found this recent article on light trigger pulls, for carry guns, on the Guns & Ammo website.


Should Your Concealed Carry Gun Have a Light Trigger? - Handguns


Bob
I'm well familiar with the debate of light trigger lbs for ccw as I've carried a 1911 for years with a 3.75lb trigger. I personally love it. That's been my main issue with converting my edc gun to the shield. So basically it looks like I want the apex sear and striker block. From the kit. But I'll use all stock spring except for the trigger spring. That I want the glock 26 spring correct?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-30-2013, 02:05 AM
sgmann69 sgmann69 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Likes: 13
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I would just stick with the factory springs and the Apex sear. I think a 4 to 4.5 pound trigger pull is just right for EDC. I just went to the range today to shoot my Shield .40 with the new Apex sear. I kept all my rounds in the 9/10 ring in a 2" group at 10 yards. I was shooting to the left about about 4" and my POI was erratic. I'm a happy camper now!!


Steve
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:19 AM
Nakanokalronin's Avatar
Nakanokalronin Nakanokalronin is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 991
Likes: 44
Liked 304 Times in 166 Posts
Default

I like the Apex sear and DIY polish/rounding on the factory striker block on M&Ps that don't have the newest upgrades. I traded in my M&P9FS for a 45FS, popped the rear sight off with a delrin tipped punch and hammer, reversed a drill bit in a drill, taped the block down on the bit and spun it on coarse then fine sandpaper at the right angle. Both create a perfect duty/self defense trigger pull.

Last edited by Nakanokalronin; 07-30-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-30-2013, 08:32 AM
gnystrom gnystrom is online now
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 1,002
Likes: 195
Liked 709 Times in 336 Posts
Default

Interesting how much variation comes in the factory Shield triggers. From the factory mine was just over 7#. The Apex sear only reduced it to 5-3/4# and improved the overall feel. I smoothed the tip of the trigger bar and now all the grittiness is gone. I never touched the striker block or changed any springs.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
robkarrob robkarrob is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Sarasota FL
Posts: 1,425
Likes: 3
Liked 507 Times in 291 Posts
Default

SmurfHunter reply

I can't tell you which Glock spring, as I ordered the spring from Wolf Springs, and it was labeled Glock trigger spring. It is almost identical in shape to the M&P spring. I measured the before and after, using my Lyman trigger pull gage. The Glock spring did reduce the trigger pull 8 ounces, over the stock trigger spring.

Bob
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 07-30-2013, 06:23 PM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

So the sear and striker block are interchangable correct meaning from the normal 40 m&p to the shield?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-07-2013, 03:31 PM
webfarmer's Avatar
webfarmer webfarmer is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 415
Likes: 185
Liked 105 Times in 84 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robkarrob View Post
I also installed the Apex sear, but I also installed their striker block, and used all the stock Shield springs. I did not buy the kit, but just those two parts. My trigger pull was 4 pounds 4 ounces. I then removed the stock trigger spring and replaced it with a standard Glock trigger spring. The pull weight was reduced to 3 pounds 10-12 ounces. I now have the pull weight just where I want it.

I installed the Apex blocker, to remove the gritty pull. When I assembled the gun, with the Apex parts, I still had the gritty pull. I pulled the blocker out and found a machining burr, in the blocker bore. Most people think the "gritty" pull is the contact of the trigger bar blocker tab, contacting the blocker. My experience is that S&W machines the blocker bore first, and then machines the striker bore, which can leave a burr in the blocker bore (both bores intersect). I have much experience in production machining, and I find major fault that S&W does not have an operation to make sure there are no burrs in the blocker bore. A simple pass of a hone would solve this problem. Once I removed that burr and reinstalled the blocker, the gritty pull was gone. I now have a very smooth pull, with no buildup or stacking. A constant trigger pull that only moves 1/16 inch to break, once the take up/pre-travel is gone. Release the trigger 1/16 inch and the trigger resets. A nice short, smooth, soft pull to break, with a short reset.

Bob
Rob, thanks to your YouTube video, I swapped out the sear myself on my Shield. It being Shield specific, getting the safety lever off was a breeze after you showed how. Thank you very much! The trigger pull on my specific Shield has always been terrible (others agree) and now pretty nice
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-07-2013, 08:18 PM
Southpaw1 Southpaw1 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Southeast
Posts: 22
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

How do I find this video on YouTube?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw1 View Post
How do I find this video on YouTube?
M&P Shield Apex Trigger Install (long version) - YouTube
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #21  
Old 08-08-2013, 01:08 AM
sgmann69 sgmann69 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Likes: 13
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Just got back from the range after shooting my Shield .40 with the new Apex sear. Wowwwww!!!! My accuracy has increased dramatically with the new Apex sear. The first couple of rounds that I fired were a total surprise. I never had a chance to flinch for the recoil, which in return landed my first couple of rounds dead center. I kept all of my rounds in the 9 and 10 ring at 15 yards, which is not bad for this snappy Shield.

Steve
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-08-2013, 01:32 AM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmann69 View Post
Just got back from the range after shooting my Shield .40 with the new Apex sear. Wowwwww!!!! My accuracy has increased dramatically with the new Apex sear. The first couple of rounds that I fired were a total surprise. I never had a chance to flinch for the recoil, which in return landed my first couple of rounds dead center. I kept all of my rounds in the 9 and 10 ring at 15 yards, which is not bad for this snappy Shield.

Steve
You purchased just the standard apex S&W sear correct? Non45.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-08-2013, 10:39 AM
webfarmer's Avatar
webfarmer webfarmer is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 415
Likes: 185
Liked 105 Times in 84 Posts
Default

All I installed was the sear in my Shield 9. Nicer trigger - still shoots low left. I always think it is me of course but none of my other pistols shoot low left. I've tried many hold and trigger control mods - this thing shoots low left I'm convinced. I still wouldn't want to be the perp getting my lower left bullets
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:35 AM
sgmann69 sgmann69 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 35
Likes: 13
Liked 15 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Correct. I purchased the standard Apex sear for my .40 Shield.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 08-09-2013, 07:44 AM
jeeps jeeps is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: oh
Posts: 485
Likes: 91
Liked 352 Times in 154 Posts
Default

If it's not broken ,don't fix it . Leave it alone,it's fine at 6.5 lbs and good for real life self defense. After market add-on's are not needed. Save the money buy ammo and magazines.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 08-09-2013, 01:59 PM
heydrich heydrich is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Put the Apex sear in my Shield and really like the results!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #27  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeps View Post
If it's not broken ,don't fix it . Leave it alone,it's fine at 6.5 lbs and good for real life self defense. After market add-on's are not needed. Save the money buy ammo and magazines.
Last time I checked, we are our own people and entitled to personal preference.

Last edited by Atticaz; 08-09-2013 at 03:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #28  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:37 PM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmann69 View Post
Correct. I purchased the standard Apex sear for my .40 Shield.
Thanks. I'm going to try just this first.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 08-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Atticaz's Avatar
Atticaz Atticaz is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 233
Likes: 98
Liked 83 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmann69 View Post
Correct. I purchased the standard Apex sear for my .40 Shield.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmurfHunter View Post
Thanks. I'm going to try just this first.
Same here. The trigger is amazing now and accuracy increased.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 08-10-2013, 09:56 AM
mikeasb mikeasb is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Eastern Kansas
Posts: 27
Likes: 6
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Bob, I watched your video about the Apex Sear installation and it is excellent, Thank you. One question though, you mentioned using a propane torch to loosen the set screw on the rear sight. Did you use a regular torch or a pencil torch, and does it scorch and discolor the sight or the slide? Please forgive my ignorance but I have very little experience with loosening loctited screws. Thanks, Mike
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 08-10-2013, 02:12 PM
DannyS's Avatar
DannyS DannyS is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Wichita Kansas
Posts: 12
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I put the M&P Shield Carry Kit (SCK) in my Shield and the Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit (DCAEK) and AEK Trigger in my 9C. They are both great. I left the USB spring in the 9C I wanted a lighter trigger and my 9c has the external safety on it. I am a 1911 guy so the safety is normal for me. On the Shield I tried every thing the set screw came out easy the sight would not budge. I have a bum left hand so it takes me a long time to do anything. I started with a durlan punch, then brass then steal I even tried a mini-torch don't unless you pull the firing pin it has a plastic sleeve. Finally took it to my gunsmith he tried several things then took a dremel with a cut off wheel to it. I had night sights to put on so did not care, I also got lucky he had the firing pin sleeve. I will be going to the range later today, look forward to it. The video by Scott Folk for the Shield is great, the video for the 9c is good in places but assumes to much knowledge in others and does not show it in as good of detail. I did like Randy Lee I viewed most of their videos for some extra knowledge and wound up getting the spring kit for my model 60 but have not put it on yet.
__________________
DannyS
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 08-18-2013, 09:17 PM
kodiakpb's Avatar
kodiakpb kodiakpb is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 356
Likes: 47
Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts
Default

In case anyone is confused or wondering about recent production Shields (in relation to Apex upgrades), and the improvements S&W made to the M&P's here:

Articles- M&P PRODUCTION UPDATES: Slide stops,barrels,sear

My two Shields had test fire dates last month (JUL 13). When comparing my sears to the pics below, it appears that the sears that came in my Shields were more like the old type (see arrows in pic). It did not appear exactly the same, as the pic of the old sear seems to be more oval than mine, and it definitely was not like the recent production.



So before i ordered a Apex hard sear, I decided to take the sear from my FS M&P 9 which has an Apex DCAEK installed, and switch them out real quick (just the sear, no USB, or any springs). = Big improvement.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #33  
Old 08-18-2013, 11:48 PM
BIGMAC116 BIGMAC116 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Likes: 53
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Agreed. I just put the apex sear in and WOW! Big difference. That, of course, was followed by the DCAEK, USB and polymer trigger. Very nice combo. No sight up-set at all.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 08-19-2013, 12:05 AM
kodiakpb's Avatar
kodiakpb kodiakpb is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 356
Likes: 47
Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGMAC116 View Post
Agreed. I just put the apex sear in and WOW! Big difference. That, of course, was followed by the DCAEK, USB and polymer trigger. Very nice combo. No sight up-set at all.
Polymer trigger fits on the shield? I thought I read on Apex's website that it doesn't fit?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:34 AM
BIGMAC116 BIGMAC116 is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 235
Likes: 53
Liked 72 Times in 47 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
Polymer trigger fits on the shield? I thought I read on Apex's website that it doesn't fit?
Sorry, should have been more specific. This was done in my 9c....
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #36  
Old 08-19-2013, 01:16 PM
TahoeDust's Avatar
TahoeDust TahoeDust is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 168
Likes: 2
Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default

I just ordered the DCAEK for my FS 9mm. I know if I install the entire kit I should expect a trigger pull of ~5.5lbs. Can anyone give me an idea of what kind of pull I will get if I install everything except the trigger return spring? What if I install it all with just the factory springs? I am trying to decide which combination I should start with. I am wanting a pull in the 4.5lbs-5lbs range.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 08-19-2013, 01:58 PM
Brucenterry's Avatar
Brucenterry Brucenterry is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SW Ohio
Posts: 175
Likes: 61
Liked 41 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Stock springs should give you 4.5# pull.
__________________
9/40FS, 9c, 9 Shield, MP22
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:38 PM
mikeasb mikeasb is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: North Eastern Kansas
Posts: 27
Likes: 6
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I just installed mine yesterday, with the stock trigger spring, the Apex sear/spring, and the USB kit the trigger pull was 4.3lbs, then I installed the Apex trigger spring and the pull went up to 5.6lbs and the overtravel was reduced substantially. I fired about 50 rounds fairly fast with the trigger at 4.3lbs and had a couple go before I wanted them to, so for me 4.3lbs was just a little lighter than I want for a carry gun. I think if there was a little less take up like my 1911's the lighter trigger would be OK but I really can't 'feel' the break coming like I can with the 1911, so for me the 5.5lb trigger is preferrable. The reduced overtravel also eliminated the front sight shake I would get, no matter how carefully I applied pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 08-19-2013, 04:46 PM
TahoeDust's Avatar
TahoeDust TahoeDust is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 168
Likes: 2
Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeasb View Post
I just installed mine yesterday, with the stock trigger spring, the Apex sear/spring, and the USB kit the trigger pull was 4.3lbs, then I installed the Apex trigger spring and the pull went up to 5.6lbs and the overtravel was reduced substantially. I fired about 50 rounds fairly fast with the trigger at 4.3lbs and had a couple go before I wanted them to, so for me 4.3lbs was just a little lighter than I want for a carry gun. I think if there was a little less take up like my 1911's the lighter trigger would be OK but I really can't 'feel' the break coming like I can with the 1911, so for me the 5.5lb trigger is preferrable. The reduced overtravel also eliminated the front sight shake I would get, no matter how carefully I applied pressure.
This is exactly what I was wanting to know. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 09-07-2013, 03:17 PM
calviroman calviroman is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 9
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Default

I installed just the Apex hard sear into my Shield 9mm today. Major improvement in trigger feel. Break is much (maybe 2 pounds) lighter and is a predictable break. Very glad I did it. Sear cost me about $36 at Brownells.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 09-07-2013, 06:50 PM
kodiakpb's Avatar
kodiakpb kodiakpb is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 356
Likes: 47
Liked 57 Times in 37 Posts
Default

For continuity purposes (from my post above). I took the hard sear out of my shield and reinstalled the stock sear. Although the trigger "feels" great, it was a little too light for my tastes using stock (non Apex) springs. Shield still shoots just as good without it, so there was no purpose for me to have this modification.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 09-08-2013, 01:03 AM
SmurfHunter SmurfHunter is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: SoFlo
Posts: 301
Likes: 2
Liked 31 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiakpb View Post
For continuity purposes (from my post above). I took the hard sear out of my shield and reinstalled the stock sear. Although the trigger "feels" great, it was a little too light for my tastes using stock (non Apex) springs. Shield still shoots just as good without it, so there was no purpose for me to have this modification.
I went ahead and installed the springs too. It's really nice.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-05-2014, 11:00 PM
badicecube's Avatar
badicecube badicecube is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 28
Likes: 1
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default very easy install

Just received the sear from Apex for the .40 Sheild.
pushed rear block pin out, slightly lift block with punch, push sear pin out, it clears the safety, install sear, use punch for slave.
install pin, tap down block, push block pin in.....Sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 12-02-2015, 07:54 PM
Wagonmaster Wagonmaster is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Central Oklahoma
Posts: 48
Likes: 4
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atticaz View Post
Did I read the web site correct where it says "Not applicable to M&P Shield"? I was interested in it for my 9mm Shield.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 12-03-2015, 12:12 AM
gunfighter48's Avatar
gunfighter48 gunfighter48 is offline
US Veteran
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Mill Creek, WA
Posts: 307
Likes: 1
Liked 171 Times in 93 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagonmaster View Post
Did I read the web site correct where it says "Not applicable to M&P Shield"? I was interested in it for my 9mm Shield.
That is correct that sear will not work in the Shield. Here's the link to the parts that will work in the Shield. I put the Carry kit and the aluminum trigger in my Shield and used the S&W trigger spring not the Apex trigger spring. I now have a consistent 4lb 4oz trigger pull with less take up and over travel. If you use the Apex trigger spring you'll get about a 5.5lb trigger pull.

https://store.apextactical.com/WebDi...?categoryId=21
__________________
gunfighter48
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 12-03-2015, 02:13 AM
Wagonmaster Wagonmaster is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: North Central Oklahoma
Posts: 48
Likes: 4
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgmann69 View Post
I just finished installing an Apex sear in my Shield .40 with no issues. It literally took me like 10 minutes from start to finish. I didn't purchase the whole trigger kit, because I didn't want to deal with removing the rear sight. I was really only interested in lowering the trigger pull.
I now have a nice 4.5 pound trigger pull. If you leave the stock springs in place you will get a 4.5 pound trigger. If you use the springs that come with the kit it will give you a 5.5 pound trigger. Again, I only bought the Apex sear, and not the whole kit. I'm very happy with the results. Thanks Apex!!! I will be going to the range on Monday to see how the new trigger improves my accuracy.
If I can do this anyone can, lol!!! It's a good feeling to learn a little about the gun that may save your life one day. I don't post very often, but the people on this forum are simply outstanding. I read the forum everyday. Thanks guys!!

Steve
Hi Steve. I just watched the video on installing the new Apex sear (it also included the trigger spring) and really have to admire you if you could do the sear in 10 minutes. You may have missed your calling by not being a gun smith. If I could do it in one hour, and not lose any pieces or miss where some of the small pieces fell out of, I would consider myself lucky. I'm no gun expert but I am very handy with tools when it comes to automobiles since back in the late 50's. If I decide to go this route I may have to look up one of the local gun smiths and hope he knows auto pistols.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-13-2016, 08:31 PM
Gtwralph Gtwralph is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 31
Likes: 16
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I just installed the Apex Sear in my Shield. Took me about 15 minutes to install. The trigger went from 7.5 lbs to 5.5 lbs. I am looking forward to getting to the range this weekend. Steve thanks for starting this thread.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 01-14-2016, 10:53 AM
Zoner Zoner is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: San Diego
Posts: 276
Likes: 32
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
Default

I replaced the sear only in my 9mm Shield, resulting in 4.5-5# pull weight. I wasn't sure which sear goes in the Shield due to conflicting info at different sites so I called Apex. The sear for the full size and compact 9mm and .40 M+P is 100-074. The Shield and the .45 M+P's use 100-063, this info coming straight from Apex. I have read where folks have used the 100-074 in their Shields and it's working I decided to go with the sear APEX says is for the Shield, since they manufacture it. Be cautious ordering from MidwayUSA....their info is different from Apex
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 01-25-2016, 11:01 AM
Gtwralph Gtwralph is offline
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Mid Michigan
Posts: 31
Likes: 16
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I finally made it to the range yesterday. Like the OP said the first couple of shots were a total surprise. Once I got used to the Apex sear I could keep my rounds at 15 feet in the 9 & 10 rings also. Steel plates at 25 yards were impressive too! I am very happy with the Apex Sear. Now I want to put the Apex Duty Carry Action Enhancement Kit in my full size 9mm. I just need to find someone near me to install the kit!

Last edited by Gtwralph; 01-25-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 12-19-2016, 12:16 PM
Hfrog355 Hfrog355 is online now
Member
Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield Apex Sear for Shield  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Texas
Posts: 121
Likes: 4
Liked 47 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Decided the Shield needed a little TLC and opted to upgrade to the APEX sear. I thought it'd be a nice little boost for a very reasonable price.

What a great product! I'm extremely pleased with my pistol's performance after installing this thing. I couldn't recommend it higher.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apex sear in my M&P Shield 9mm gsparesa Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 44 05-21-2017 06:58 PM
Apex Sear only in a Shield? Hunter8282 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 8 06-07-2016 04:44 AM
Shield and Apex Sear Photoman44 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 7 01-25-2015 08:50 PM
Apex Sear Vs. Apex Trigger Kit (Shield) Corysxj88 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 28 02-20-2014 01:07 PM
Help! Apex sear in Shield melissa5 Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 16 05-05-2012 07:30 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:41 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)