Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols > Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols
Forum Register Expert Commentary Members List


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:15 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Layton, UT. USA
Posts: 234
Likes: 12
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default Polishing Barrel. Reliability for CCW?

Simple question. Looks pretty easy to polish and several have done it. Anyone have long term problems with removing the finish? It I would do it on my primary carry 40c.

The barrels for my 3rd gens aren't coated at all and they've never had issues.
__________________
Matt H.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:55 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 179
Likes: 67
Liked 115 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Did the barrel, take down lever, slide release, safety and extractor of my Shield a little over a year ago. No problems. I carry it daily and shoot every chance I get. Not exactly long term but I think if it was going to rust or have a problem it would have shown up by now. I clean about every 500 rounds with CLP, nothing special.

Last edited by Vision Remodeling; 12-03-2013 at 01:06 AM. Reason: add cleaning content
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:28 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Layton, UT. USA
Posts: 234
Likes: 12
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision Remodeling View Post
Did the barrel, take down lever, slide release, safety and extractor of my Shield a little over a year ago. No problems. I carry it daily and shoot every chance I get. Not exactly long term but I think if it was going to rust or have a problem it would have shown up by now. I clean about every 500 rounds with CLP, nothing special.
Sounds good. Time to get started! Thank you for the input.

When you did the barrel did you do the bottom portion as well under the chamber area?
__________________
Matt H.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-03-2013, 02:35 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Tampa
Posts: 179
Likes: 67
Liked 115 Times in 54 Posts
Default

Yes, I did all of it. A while later I did the trigger bar and sear, basically a Burwell trigger job without doing the striker block or any filing of the sear, it made quite an improvement.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-03-2013, 05:51 AM
timn8er's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TEXAS!!!
Posts: 5,191
Likes: 4,074
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,082 Posts
Default

I did my barrels for my 40c & my 40 Shield the lazy man's way: All I polished was the barrel hoods & the ends. In other words, just the parts you see!
__________________
Lounge Lizard Extraordinaire
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:22 AM
US Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Columbia,SC/Afghanistan
Posts: 28
Likes: 48
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Default

This thread could use some pictures
__________________
[ESEE Knives
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 12-03-2013, 08:26 AM
RussC's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 885
Likes: 29
Liked 346 Times in 183 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC View Post
Simple question. Looks pretty easy to polish and several have done it. Anyone have long term problems with removing the finish? It I would do it on my primary carry 40c.

The barrels for my 3rd gens aren't coated at all and they've never had issues.
Nit

If it isn't broken don't mess with it is my rule.

Russ
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:52 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 496
Likes: 120
Liked 267 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussC View Post
Nit

If it isn't broken don't mess with it is my rule.

Russ
Polishing removes metal. If you thought the lockup was loose and the gun wasn't as accurate, you're in for a real ride now. It's okay, 9 out of 10 M&P's aren't shot anywhere near there potential anyhow. Mine isn't, but I'm working on that consciously, at speed and distance.
__________________
This≠DodgeCity&You≠BillHickok
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 12-03-2013, 09:53 AM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Layton, UT. USA
Posts: 234
Likes: 12
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

I took a practice run last night on my 1911PD. Its already exposed stainless. Two quick passes with mothers mag/wheel polish and it looks beautiful. Its a gun that has had around 5000 rounds through it.

Before....



After...

(first pass)


(second pass)


(barrel bushing)
__________________
Matt H.

Last edited by Nitrous SSC; 12-03-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 12-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Outside Philadelphia Pa
Posts: 5,404
Likes: 962
Liked 2,458 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

Why? I'm being serious. The outside does nothing for or against reliability. Is it the urge to clean something or just a fascination with shiny stuff ( most of which is hidden under the slide anyway)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:18 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Layton, UT. USA
Posts: 234
Likes: 12
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arik View Post
Why? I'm being serious. The outside does nothing for or against reliability. Is it the urge to clean something or just a fascination with shiny stuff ( most of which is hidden under the slide anyway)

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Both. I'm a car guy. I enjoy a good shiny finish and the smoother the surface the easier it is to clean in the future.
__________________
Matt H.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 12-03-2013, 12:19 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Outside Philadelphia Pa
Posts: 5,404
Likes: 962
Liked 2,458 Times in 1,413 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrous SSC View Post
Both. I'm a car guy. I enjoy a good shiny finish and the smoother the surface the easier it is to clean in the future.
Fair enough

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:56 PM
timn8er's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: TEXAS!!!
Posts: 5,191
Likes: 4,074
Liked 4,273 Times in 2,082 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by forrestinmathews View Post
Polishing removes metal. If you thought the lockup was loose and the gun wasn't as accurate, you're in for a real ride now. It's okay, 9 out of 10 M&P's aren't shot anywhere near there potential anyhow. Mine isn't, but I'm working on that consciously, at speed and distance.
Using a super fine scotch pad & some jewelers rouge, I seriously doubt that you are going to remove enough metal to harm the lockup. It hasn't harmed mine at all. I'm using a Dremel tool with a polishing felt wheel, not a bench grinder.
__________________
Lounge Lizard Extraordinaire
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 12-03-2013, 03:16 PM
Member
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Layton, UT. USA
Posts: 234
Likes: 12
Liked 35 Times in 23 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn8er View Post
Using a super fine scotch pad & some jewelers rouge, I seriously doubt that you are going to remove enough metal to harm the lockup. It hasn't harmed mine at all. I'm using a Dremel tool with a polishing felt wheel, not a bench grinder.
No kidding. Not like sparks are flying everywhere. haha.
__________________
Matt H.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols Thread, Polishing Barrel. Reliability for CCW? in Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols; Simple question. Looks pretty easy to polish and several have done it. Anyone have long term problems with removing the ...
LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-pistols/347191-polishing-barrel-reliability-ccw.html
Posted By For Type Date
Thread Polishing Barrel on XD's | THR | BoardReader This thread Refback 08-01-2014 04:08 PM
Smith & Wesson Forum This thread Refback 12-03-2013 10:37 AM

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
SD40VE Barrel Polishing?? shart1971 Smith & Wesson SD & Sigma Pistols 27 03-12-2013 08:34 PM
Barrel Polishing Revival Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 1 11-20-2012 10:38 AM
Any tips on polishing my sd barrel? Cobraman Smith & Wesson SD & Sigma Pistols 1 03-01-2012 10:50 AM
barrel polishing infamous209 Smith & Wesson SD & Sigma Pistols 7 03-22-2011 11:49 PM
Polishing 6906 Barrel kbm6893 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 4 07-21-2009 01:14 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:56 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)