Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-30-2015, 10:31 PM
wegriffin8642 wegriffin8642 is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue

I went to the range today to fire a couple of boxes of .40's through my new Shield. It was very difficult loading more than 4 rounds into the 7 round magazine and 3 rounds into the 6 round magazine. They have the stiffest springs that I have ever encountered. I tried my uplula speed loader on the magazines after I got home and I can fully load the magazines using the uplula....I will take it with me for use from now on. Am I getting weak fingers or has anyone else noticed the stiff springs?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-01-2015, 12:19 AM
rsrocket1 rsrocket1 is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sacramento, CA
Posts: 640
Likes: 15
Liked 239 Times in 144 Posts
Default

M&P mags have always been stiff. I have no problems loading the double stack or the 7 or 8 round Shield mags although they are very stiff. I load them on the shooting bench so I have an advantage. I hold the mag on the table with my left hand, then simply push the bullets with my thumb over the rim and using the rim to push either the follower down or the previous bullet down. I start the next bullet by pushing the previous bullet down with my left thumb, then press in with the rim of the next bullet and slide it in. I am very thankful I don't have arthritis or other ailments in the hands

An Uplula is a good reloading too but I haven't had the need for one (yet).
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-07-2015, 11:22 AM
rjm6120's Avatar
rjm6120 rjm6120 is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Xtrm Northern KY
Posts: 632
Likes: 2,241
Liked 973 Times in 288 Posts
Default

My .40 shield mags are the same way....very stiff. Strongly considering buying a uplula (sp?) loader to save my thumbs.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 05-07-2015, 11:49 AM
RobzGuns's Avatar
RobzGuns RobzGuns is offline
US Veteran
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas
Posts: 2,373
Likes: 1,318
Liked 1,778 Times in 865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegriffin8642 View Post
Am I getting weak fingers or has anyone else noticed the stiff springs?
LOL... If you were to do a Forum search for 'Stiff Mag Springs' you'd get pages of threads discussing this, so no... You're probably NOT getting weak fingers.

At least you're ahead of the game, since you already know the bliss that's called UpLULA.
Many come here not knowing about its benefits.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 05-07-2015, 12:51 PM
CaptRon956 CaptRon956 is offline
Banned
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 646
Likes: 543
Liked 543 Times in 275 Posts
Default

Here ----- > Maglula UpLULA Universal Pistol Magazine Loader | Bass Pro Shops
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-07-2015, 02:16 PM
PROnSHIELD's Avatar
PROnSHIELD PROnSHIELD is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal-Bayarea
Posts: 220
Likes: 172
Liked 90 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRon956 View Post
LOL...he has one already
__________________
M&P 9mm 5" Pro
M&P 9mm Shield
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-07-2015, 02:26 PM
PROnSHIELD's Avatar
PROnSHIELD PROnSHIELD is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: NorCal-Bayarea
Posts: 220
Likes: 172
Liked 90 Times in 65 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegriffin8642 View Post
I went to the range today...
The magazines will get better

Interesting that you have been a member for a year yet starting this thread was your first post!
__________________
M&P 9mm 5" Pro
M&P 9mm Shield
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-14-2015, 07:07 PM
pinoycano pinoycano is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 2
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking M&P SHIELD ISSUES WITH LOADING MAGAZINE

Not complaining about the weapon. I love the feel and concept. I am having issues with loading the mags. cannot get three rounds loaded the spring stiffens up due to flexing against the walls of the mag. I swapped out springs from the six rounder to the seven rounder, 90% of the issues went away. Wish Smith would address the issue. Found that when folks are carrying the Shield and do not clean and oil after a lengthy carry, corrosion seems to build up on mag release, this may cause the issue of mag dropping. I have been keeping vigilant on moisture on the release causing retracting issues. I have had three gun stores try and load more than three rounds into the seven round mag. and the look on the guys faces, wow an eye opener, no more than three loaded. Hope wolf springs or someone comes out with a softer calibrated spring. I love this little guy.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2015, 08:11 PM
deputy tom's Avatar
deputy tom deputy tom is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: May 2001
Location: pgh.pa.usa
Posts: 23
Likes: 57
Liked 9 Times in 5 Posts
Default

I had the same trouble loading my Shield 9mm mags until I bought an Uplula loader. Now , no more pain or difficulty loading the mags. I also use an old mouse pad to keep from scuffing the mags on the shooting bench. tom.
__________________
N.R.A. LIFE MEMBER
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2015, 08:40 PM
JMichaelTX's Avatar
JMichaelTX JMichaelTX is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Houston, TX (Woodlands)
Posts: 138
Likes: 60
Liked 32 Times in 26 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wegriffin8642 View Post
I went to the range today to fire a couple of boxes of .40's through my new Shield. It was very difficult loading more than 4 rounds into the 7 round magazine and 3 rounds into the 6 round magazine. They have the stiffest springs that I have ever encountered. I tried my uplula speed loader on the magazines after I got home and I can fully load the magazines using the uplula....I will take it with me for use from now on.

Am I getting weak fingers or has anyone else noticed the stiff springs?
I think this is a well-known issue with owners of the M&P Shield.
When I first got my Shield 40, even my instructor could not load the 7-rd mag.

So I bought the UpLULA, as you did, and I am now able to quickly load all of the Shield's magazines.

It is not clear to me why the Shield magazines are so stiff, but I have to accept that the Shield designers deemed it necessary to always ensure proper loading of the next round. So, if I have to use an UpLULA, then so be it.

Otherwise, I love my Shield 40!
__________________
Be safe. Live long & prosper.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #11  
Old 09-15-2015, 08:32 AM
sschrick sschrick is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 126
Likes: 0
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Default

load the mags and let them sit for a while. that will also help to "soften" the springs.
I, too, could not load the full capacity on my new shield mags when I got them. Now, after about 200 rounds through the gun and cycling the mags, I can load them fully no problem.
also, might just want to disassemble them and make sure there is no dirt or debris inside the mag. Additionally, make sure there are no burrs or rough spots inside that could be causing the follower not to move easily.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:23 PM
Timinbhm Timinbhm is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Shield Mags eating my Uplula

Recently purchased a Shield .40 as a daily carry weapon. Previously, I carried a Sig 226 in .40. I am 6'4" and 270lbs, by the way.

Immediately realized the magazines were too tight to load by hand. Happy to say I'd seen Uplula used in a couple of YouTube vids and bought one right away along with two add'l OEM magazines.

After a single trip to the range, the tongue on the Uplula that presses the prior round down was bent upward 1/4 inch by the force of loading rounds into the Shield mags. Banged it back down and kept using it but the metal is now weakened and eventually moves back up and out of position.

Next, I found the tongue was getting stuck between shells in the mag and couldn't be pulled out. I noticed the edge of the shells had eaten the paint off the tongue, which could be part of the sticking problem.

I will replace the Uplula with a new one, because this one can't function properly now. Like another poster, I'm not sure of the plan if I needed to hand load these mags in an emergency.

Is this really "normal" and acceptable? Guess it's back to carrying the full size Sig until this is resolved.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Nonuthin Nonuthin is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 43
Likes: 1
Liked 53 Times in 27 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timinbhm View Post
Recently purchased a Shield .40 as a daily carry weapon. Previously, I carried a Sig 226 in .40. I am 6'4" and 270lbs, by the way.

Immediately realized the magazines were too tight to load by hand. Happy to say I'd seen Uplula used in a couple of YouTube vids and bought one right away along with two add'l OEM magazines.

After a single trip to the range, the tongue on the Uplula that presses the prior round down was bent upward 1/4 inch by the force of loading rounds into the Shield mags. Banged it back down and kept using it but the metal is now weakened and eventually moves back up and out of position.

Next, I found the tongue was getting stuck between shells in the mag and couldn't be pulled out. I noticed the edge of the shells had eaten the paint off the tongue, which could be part of the sticking problem.

I will replace the Uplula with a new one, because this one can't function properly now. Like another poster, I'm not sure of the plan if I needed to hand load these mags in an emergency.

Is this really "normal" and acceptable? Guess it's back to carrying the full size Sig until this is resolved.
There have been numerous reports of counterfeit Uplula's being sold at a discount on eBay, Amazon, Gunbroker, etc. for some time now. Go to maglula | Tools for loading and unloading magazines for details.
You may have gotten a fake. I can assure you that the real thing would never do that. I have several and so do my friends. They would distort and dent the brass case long before they'd bend.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 07-11-2017, 04:18 PM
Funflyer's Avatar
Funflyer Funflyer is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Central Arizona
Posts: 139
Likes: 56
Liked 163 Times in 66 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonuthin View Post
There have been numerous reports of counterfeit Uplula's being sold at a discount on eBay, Amazon, Gunbroker, etc. for some time now. Go to maglula | Tools for loading and unloading magazines for details.
You may have gotten a fake. I can assure you that the real thing would never do that. I have several and so do my friends. They would distort and dent the brass case long before they'd bend.
I bought one from ebay, knowing it's a knock-off, and it works just as well as the overpriced original uplula. I've compared them side by side and can't tell a difference in quality or strength.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-16-2017, 01:41 PM
Timinbhm Timinbhm is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonuthin View Post
There have been numerous reports of counterfeit Uplula's being sold at a discount on eBay, Amazon, Gunbroker, etc. for some time now. Go to maglula | Tools for loading and unloading magazines for details.
You may have gotten a fake. I can assure you that the real thing would never do that. I have several and so do my friends. They would distort and dent the brass case long before they'd bend.
Thanks. I bought the original UpLULA on Amazon. Returned to them and ordered another. They were great about the return. Paid $28 for each and the markings appear to be identical. New one has been working much better.

The other issue is the Shield mags. I'm spending hours now loading and unloading the mags to cycle them and loosen them up. Have four OEM mags and one is much tighter than others. Can't load the last round even with UpLULA after about a dozen cycles.

Understand the need for the springs to be tight. I don't find it acceptable that they can't be loaded w/out a tool like UpLULA. What do you do in an emergency when you need to hand load?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-16-2017, 03:31 PM
swsig's Avatar
swsig swsig is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: North Texas
Posts: 941
Likes: 1,048
Liked 1,472 Times in 567 Posts
Default

Like Nonuthin, I am suspicious about the source of Timinbhm's Uplula. I have used an Uplula (a real one) for the past three years to load all of my semi-autos, some 30,000 rounds worth. It is as tough as an anvil, and I suspect it will last as long. While I guess it's possible to get a defective one, I think the Israelis who manufacture it are pretty strict about quality control. After all, where is it more critical to load one's semi-auto in a hurry than in Israel?

As to the magazine springs, I have an M&P 40c (9000 rounds), a Shield 9 (4500 rounds), and a Shield .45 (2500 rounds). The springs do loosen up with use. I can get the final round in by hand on all of them. However, they are strong enough to last a long time. My 40c magazines still have their original springs, and they are working just fine.
__________________
What, me worry?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #17  
Old 07-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Timinbhm Timinbhm is offline
Member
M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue M&P .40 Shield Magazine Issue  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Birmingham, AL
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Mag update

Quote:
Originally Posted by swsig View Post
Like Nonuthin, I am suspicious about the source of Timinbhm's Uplula. I have used an Uplula (a real one) for the past three years to load all of my semi-autos, some 30,000 rounds worth. It is as tough as an anvil, and I suspect it will last as long. While I guess it's possible to get a defective one, I think the Israelis who manufacture it are pretty strict about quality control. After all, where is it more critical to load one's semi-auto in a hurry than in Israel?

As to the magazine springs, I have an M&P 40c (9000 rounds), a Shield 9 (4500 rounds), and a Shield .45 (2500 rounds). The springs do loosen up with use. I can get the final round in by hand on all of them. However, they are strong enough to last a long time. My 40c magazines still have their original springs, and they are working just fine.
Thanks for the comments. After spending some time yesterday loading and unloading the new mags, they are loosening up as several folks suggested. Will head back to the range with the new Shield .40 this week.

The new UpLULA is working perfectly. Take care when ordering stuff on line, is the takeaway.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Magazine Issue bobboodis45 Smith & Wesson M&P15 Rifles 5 01-15-2015 12:49 AM
Shield Magazine Loading Issue? nccajun Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 6 04-13-2013 10:40 AM
Shield 7rd magazine fitment issue the_dude Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 5 04-10-2013 02:41 PM
M&P 9c Magazine issue abstract Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 2 01-31-2013 08:51 PM
22a magazine issue highstick44 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 14 01-03-2013 07:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:24 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)