Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-06-2015, 05:42 PM
TD1223 TD1223 is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?

M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?

I just made an hour and a half drive to pick up the gun only to realize it has a threaded barrel which I don't want and I'm not even sure it is legal in MA. I called S&W and they won't sell me and have no plans to make barrels available for the 22 compact. I just don't like the way it looks hanging out the end of the gun. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on ths? Can I send the barrel somewhere and get it cut?

Thanks,

Phil
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:11 PM
Magload Magload is offline
US Veteran
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: NE Florida
Posts: 2,004
Likes: 217
Liked 684 Times in 458 Posts
Default

Screw a comp on that barrel then it will look cool.
__________________
USN Retired/VN VET
M&P X5
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-06-2015, 08:16 PM
River Hill River Hill is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TD1223 View Post
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?

I just made an hour and a half drive to pick up the gun only to realize it has a threaded barrel which I don't want and I'm not even sure it is legal in MA. I called S&W and they won't sell me and have no plans to make barrels available for the 22 compact. I just don't like the way it looks hanging out the end of the gun. I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on ths? Can I send the barrel somewhere and get it cut?

Thanks,

Phil
Can you tell me the model number of the one you have? I want to order one with the threaded barrel out the end, so I don't need the adapter for my suppressor.

Last edited by River Hill; 07-06-2015 at 08:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:44 PM
TD1223 TD1223 is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

It came with a cap but I don't like the look
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-06-2015, 10:47 PM
TD1223 TD1223 is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 3
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

10199 is the one with the threads and cap.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-07-2015, 06:23 AM
River Hill River Hill is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-07-2015, 07:58 AM
aussies aussies is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I had the same reaction when I bought mine (off the internet), I didn't like removing the cap every time to clean it. I ended up trading the gun but since have seen cap protectors, size 1/2 x 28, that I wish I had tried. I saw them on Amazon, around $15.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-07-2015, 09:04 AM
McE McE is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 891
Likes: 82
Liked 375 Times in 231 Posts
Default

All M&P22 Compacts have threaded barrels.

The only difference is, one is flush with the end of the slide, the other extends (which you have).

You can probably just post up in the classifieds and swap barrels with someone who has the shorter threaded-but-not-extended barrel.

I might even consider that trade, as I'm indifferent to either look.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-08-2015, 06:32 PM
Teamfour Teamfour is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Likes: 19
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussies View Post
I had the same reaction when I bought mine (off the internet), I didn't like removing the cap every time to clean it. I ended up trading the gun but since have seen cap protectors, size 1/2 x 28, that I wish I had tried. I saw them on Amazon, around $15.
If I remember right, the thread on the end of the barrel is not 12x28. That is why you need a suppressor adapter to use 12x28 threaded suppressors.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 PM
River Hill River Hill is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Does anyone know the thread pattern on the extended version?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:14 PM
Teamfour Teamfour is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Likes: 19
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by River Hill View Post
Does anyone know the thread pattern on the extended version?
3/8x24. I have looked high and low for a thread protector in this size with no practical luck.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-08-2015, 09:40 PM
Teamfour Teamfour is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Likes: 19
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default

My extended version included the suppressor adapter.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-09-2015, 06:30 AM
Ibmikey Ibmikey is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Medical Lake Wa
Posts: 430
Likes: 55
Liked 204 Times in 139 Posts
Default

Any competent gunsmith with a lathe can make you a thread protector for your .22. Now finding a smith who will undertake the thirty minute project is another thing altogether.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:28 AM
AR-Getsome's Avatar
AR-Getsome AR-Getsome is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Concord,NC
Posts: 1,072
Likes: 468
Liked 479 Times in 274 Posts
Default

3/8x24]Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact Thread Adapter Blued - $22.00 : EWK Arms. I have looked high and low for a thread protector in this size with no practical luck.[/QUOTE]
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-09-2015, 09:45 AM
Teamfour Teamfour is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 26
Likes: 19
Liked 8 Times in 2 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR-Getsome View Post
3/8x24]Smith & Wesson M&P 22 Compact Thread Adapter Blued - $22.00 : EWK Arms. I have looked high and low for a thread protector in this size with no practical luck.
[/QUOTE]

That is the adapter itself with a protector in 1/2x28 thread. What folks are looking for is just the thread protector in 3/8x24 thread.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 07-09-2015, 10:45 AM
ScottS ScottS is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 110
Likes: 5
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
That is the adapter itself with a protector in 1/2x28 thread. What folks are looking for is just the thread protector in 3/8x24 thread.
Correct. People are losing the bubble on this.

All S&W M&P22 Compact barrels are threaded. All of them. The first one introduced had a "cap" threaded on over the threads that looked just like the end of a normal barrel. It is the same diameter as the rest of the barrel, albeit with a slight "bulge" to act as as sort of a bushing for slide lockup. The slide can be removed with this cap in place. In fact, if you didn't look for it, you might not notice the barrel is threaded. Here's a picture of the barrel with the cap very slightly unscrewed.



Another picture, screwed on tight:



And here it is removed.



This is pretty common, and the same way guns like the GSG 1911 .22 and P22 are done. With this model (the first one I bought), I had to unscrew the cap and purchase a suppressor adapter that threaded onto the barrel. The standard thread for a suppressor is 1/2"-28, and that is too large to fit through the hole in the slide for the barrel, not to mention the shoulder provided for the can to index against. Here's what the adapter looks like:



Here's a comparison of the factory "cap" (top) and a suppressor adapter (bottom):



Notice that the suppressor threads are exposed. To protect those, you use a 1/2"-28 thread protector. It either comes with the adapter or you buy it. That's what people are advertising when they say 1/2"x28 thread protector on Amazon, etc. It's a little ring, usually knurled, and with the adapter and thread protector in place, it looks like this:



Once that adapter gets screwed onto the barrel, there's no way it will go back through the slide. Since you have to move the slide forward over the end of the barrel in a fixed barrel gun to remove it, you see the need to remove the adapter if you want to, say, field strip the gun for cleaning.

Since I bought on of the "original" ones, I had to buy my own suppressor adapter (and wrench, but that's a whole other story), unscrew the cap, and replace it with the adapter. Some time later, S&W decided to offer their own, from-the-factory suppressor ready version (the second one I bought). It comes with the suppressor adapter in place of the "cap."

So....if you bought an "original," with the cap, you can remove the cap and replace it with a suppressor adapter, if you want. If you bought a "suppressor-ready" version, and want to get rid of the suppressor adapter (for whatever reason), you have to get a cap specifically designed for the M&P22 Compact. It has to fit the threads AND barrel profile of the Compact. Possible sources include 1) directly from S&W if they have and will sell them; 2) from a M&P 22 Compact user who replaced his with a suppressor adapter; 3) have one custom made by a gunsmith or someone handy with a lathe. Shouldn't really be too hard.
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #17  
Old 07-09-2015, 01:26 PM
River Hill River Hill is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 9
Likes: 1
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottS View Post
Correct. People are losing the bubble on this.

All S&W M&P22 Compact barrels are threaded. All of them. The first one introduced had a "cap" threaded on over the threads that looked just like the end of a normal barrel. It is the same diameter as the rest of the barrel, albeit with a slight "bulge" to act as as sort of a bushing for slide lockup. The slide can be removed with this cap in place. In fact, if you didn't look for it, you might not notice the barrel is threaded. Here's a picture of the barrel with the cap very slightly unscrewed.



Another picture, screwed on tight:



And here it is removed.



This is pretty common, and the same way guns like the GSG 1911 .22 and P22 are done. With this model (the first one I bought), I had to unscrew the cap and purchase a suppressor adapter that threaded onto the barrel. The standard thread for a suppressor is 1/2"-28, and that is too large to fit through the hole in the slide for the barrel, not to mention the shoulder provided for the can to index against. Here's what the adapter looks like:



Here's a comparison of the factory "cap" (top) and a suppressor adapter (bottom):



Notice that the suppressor threads are exposed. To protect those, you use a 1/2"-28 thread protector. It either comes with the adapter or you buy it. That's what people are advertising when they say 1/2"x28 thread protector on Amazon, etc. It's a little ring, usually knurled, and with the adapter and thread protector in place, it looks like this:



Once that adapter gets screwed onto the barrel, there's no way it will go back through the slide. Since you have to move the slide forward over the end of the barrel in a fixed barrel gun to remove it, you see the need to remove the adapter if you want to, say, field strip the gun for cleaning.

Since I bought on of the "original" ones, I had to buy my own suppressor adapter (and wrench, but that's a whole other story), unscrew the cap, and replace it with the adapter. Some time later, S&W decided to offer their own, from-the-factory suppressor ready version (the second one I bought). It comes with the suppressor adapter in place of the "cap."

So....if you bought an "original," with the cap, you can remove the cap and replace it with a suppressor adapter, if you want. If you bought a "suppressor-ready" version, and want to get rid of the suppressor adapter (for whatever reason), you have to get a cap specifically designed for the M&P22 Compact. It has to fit the threads AND barrel profile of the Compact. Possible sources include 1) directly from S&W if they have and will sell them; 2) from a M&P 22 Compact user who replaced his with a suppressor adapter; 3) have one custom made by a gunsmith or someone handy with a lathe. Shouldn't really be too hard.
Great detailed reply and information.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 07-10-2015, 10:59 AM
Bud33's Avatar
Bud33 Bud33 is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Central Fl.
Posts: 82
Likes: 49
Liked 28 Times in 20 Posts
Default

So- - - - - has anybody found a thread protector FOR THE BARREL?????
I bought a suppressor ready because it was the only thing available at the time, but I would prefer to replace the adapter with a barrel thread cap.
I've called S&W and gotten different answers ranging from "They don't make them", "They are not available at this time", to "They are out of stock"
__________________
BUD

Last edited by Bud33; 07-10-2015 at 11:02 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 07-10-2015, 11:33 AM
ScottS ScottS is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 110
Likes: 5
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud33 View Post
So- - - - - has anybody found a thread protector FOR THE BARREL?????
I bought a suppressor ready because it was the only thing available at the time, but I would prefer to replace the adapter with a barrel thread cap.
I've called S&W and gotten different answers ranging from "They don't make them", "They are not available at this time", to "They are out of stock"
I guarantee you won't find one "on the shelf." No one is building these on spec. If S&W isn't going to stock them (or replace them) the best bet might be to try and get someone like EWK Arms (very responsive and capable) to run a small batch. If you're already set up to make adapters, the "factory" thread protector shouldn't be too hard.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 07-13-2015, 08:21 PM
McE McE is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 891
Likes: 82
Liked 375 Times in 231 Posts
Default

Does the "suppressor ready" version come with a thread protector that protects the external threads on the adapter?
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 07-14-2015, 05:44 AM
ScottS ScottS is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NH
Posts: 110
Likes: 5
Liked 63 Times in 31 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by McE View Post
Does the "suppressor ready" version come with a thread protector that protects the external threads on the adapter?
Yes. This picture is the suppressor-ready version of the gun, and you can see the knurled thread protector.

Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 07-17-2015, 08:31 AM
McE McE is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: WI
Posts: 891
Likes: 82
Liked 375 Times in 231 Posts
Default

I'm indifferent to which barrel.

I have the original flush fit barrel, if anyone wants to swap for their suppressor ready version then shoot me a pm. We could just swap adapters but I'm a little afraid of trying to take off the adapter after hearing the horror stories.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2018, 08:57 AM
erok210's Avatar
erok210 erok210 is offline
Member
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question? M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?  
Join Date: May 2018
Location: North East
Posts: 12
Likes: 5
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Default Received the Thread Protector directly from S&W

For those of you who want to remove the suppressor adaptor and replace with a thread protector, you can order it from S&W. Part Number: 429020000

See attachments

Erok
Attached Thumbnails
M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?-img_00006-jpg   M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?-img_00005-jpg   M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?-img_00008-jpg   M&P 22 Compact Threaded Barrel Question?-img_00009-jpg  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
M&P 22 Compact Non Threaded Barrel? Pipecrew Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 3 02-16-2015 02:50 PM
Threaded barrel question 36/28 13bentarm Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 3 05-27-2013 03:30 PM
Just got my barrel threaded... question MattO. Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 4 12-17-2011 03:31 PM
WTS-USP .45 Compact Threaded barrel and extra O ring-PIC SWMod10 Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 0 10-05-2010 11:56 AM
Threaded Barrel for M&P Compact or Full Size? Flame Red Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 3 04-22-2009 08:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:40 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2018 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)