Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 06-07-2017, 04:39 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default Belly band holster

In preparation for the summer I am considering a belly band holster for those days when I don't want to wear a belt. I have an Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3 that works great but not without a belt.

Here is what I need to do:

Shield 9mm (snug fit)
Carry at 3:00 IWB
1-2 extra mags
Comfortable against my skin

What advice can you guys & gals offer?

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:13 PM
CATI1835's Avatar
CATI1835 CATI1835 is online now
US Veteran
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2015
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 801
Likes: 953
Liked 1,975 Times in 473 Posts
Default

I have tried several. The most comfortable against the skin, for me, it the Kangaroo Carry:

Concealed carry holsters | Shoulder holsters, Gun holsters – Kangaroo Carry
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:15 PM
eahicks eahicks is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 313
Likes: 66
Liked 239 Times in 123 Posts
Default Belly band holster

Don't really recommend a belly band for summer. I have one but rarely use it, especially in summer. I find you need an undershirt for those and that's hot enough wearing 2 shirts. Add the belly band, and sweat city.
Try it out though. I tend to wear mine up pretty high, almost putting the gun under my armpit. With a button up shirt it works well, with a t-shirt it's not so easy to access the gun.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:33 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I tend to carry mine lower down so most of it is concealed in my pants. I am hoping underwear will be enough between me and the band.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:36 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATI1835 View Post
I have tried several. The most comfortable against the skin, for me, it the Kangaroo Carry:

Concealed carry holsters | Shoulder holsters, Gun holsters Kangaroo Carry
Those seem to be made to carry higher up on the body. I want it at or below my belt line.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:38 PM
ISCS Yoda's Avatar
ISCS Yoda ISCS Yoda is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 4,554
Likes: 1,004
Liked 4,765 Times in 1,980 Posts
Default

Well, I don't like any belly bands. They are not particularly comfortable and not as easy to access in a hurry. The Remora holsters are designed to be used without a belt and I am probably going to carry my CS-9 in one of those when I am dressed lightly. Even a t-shirt can cover one of those and you lose nothing with respect to accessibility and gain everything in comfort over a belly band.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:45 PM
KSDeputy's Avatar
KSDeputy KSDeputy is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,201
Likes: 364
Liked 1,085 Times in 501 Posts
Default

I wear a fanny pack, year around.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM
Mildew Mildew is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Those seem to be made to carry higher up on the body. I want it at or below my belt line.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
I've tried a few, here's my opinion. If you have a belly band without a shoulder strap, it will eventually fall to your waist. Maybe you would be OK with that, maybe not. The most uncomfortable spot is where there is the most movement (from breathing) which is where your belly is. The most comfortable spot is just below your boobs where there some movement, but it's less than around your belly.

I use a Kangaroo Carry also.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-07-2017, 05:55 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Higher than my waist is out of the question for me. I am looking for something that will ride at my waist like the Aliengear I have.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:04 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
Well, I don't like any belly bands. They are not particularly comfortable and not as easy to access in a hurry. The Remora holsters are designed to be used without a belt and I am probably going to carry my CS-9 in one of those when I am dressed lightly. Even a t-shirt can cover one of those and you lose nothing with respect to accessibility and gain everything in comfort over a belly band.
The Remora is a no go too. Not having anything but pressure and friction to hold it in place may be fine with jeans but I can't see it working well with light weight shorts or similar clothing. I definitely want more security than that. A belt or band of some type is essential. Also it doesn't have any provision for extra mags.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:06 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

One I am considering is the ComfortTac. It seems to have what I need but I'm only looking at pictures. Anyone tried one?

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:07 PM
Chief Wiggums Chief Wiggums is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 80
Likes: 67
Liked 88 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
Don't really recommend a belly band for summer. I have one but rarely use it, especially in summer.
^^^^^^^same^^^^^^^^

belly bands are borderline unbearable in the summer.
I have a 6 ft , 200 lb build
I've worn mine twice
in the winter , it obviously isn't as hot , but they still have zero comfort, at least in my use case.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:15 PM
cadmike cadmike is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 278
Likes: 35
Liked 524 Times in 168 Posts
Default

A good belly band is very versatile and a must-have item for anyone who carrys concealed, IMO. I use mine, a galco, to conceal either an sw99 or a j frame, and on rare occasions, both.

The most common way I use it is very low on the waist, to enable IWB carry at 4 or 5 o'clock. I do not wear a belt.

For comfort, i always wear a t shirt under the band, even when carrying low on the waist since the grip of the gun sticks out above the band and will chafe your skin.

YMMV, and good luck.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:24 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Wiggums View Post
^^^^^^^same^^^^^^^^

belly bands are borderline unbearable in the summer.
I have a 6 ft , 200 lb build
I've worn mine twice
in the winter , it obviously isn't as hot , but they still have zero comfort, at least in my use case.
Is that because of being hot? What material was it made from?

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:25 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmike View Post
A good belly band is very versatile and a must-have item for anyone who carrys concealed, IMO. I use mine, a galco, to conceal either an sw99 or a j frame, and on rare occasions, both.

The most common way I use it is very low on the waist, to enable IWB carry at 4 or 5 o'clock. I do not wear a belt.

For comfort, i always wear a t shirt under the band, even when carrying low on the waist since the grip of the gun sticks out above the band and will chafe your skin.

YMMV, and good luck.
That sounds like what I want to do. I'll check out the Galco.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #16  
Old 06-07-2017, 06:37 PM
cadmike cadmike is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Southern Maine
Posts: 278
Likes: 35
Liked 524 Times in 168 Posts
Default

Also I'd like to mention, I sometimes wear my band high up around my chest, so that the gun is positioned under my left armpit. I have never had the band begin to slide down my torso, even when wearing it all day. Trick is to cinch the band tight, and I think having the t shirt underneath helps the band to grip your body.

I have never seen a belly band with a shoulder strap as someone has mentioned.

I find them to be quite comfortable but yes, summer carry probably isn't their strong suit.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:05 PM
eahicks eahicks is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 313
Likes: 66
Liked 239 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadmike View Post
A good belly band is very versatile and a must-have item for anyone who carrys concealed, IMO. I use mine, a galco, to conceal either an sw99 or a j frame, and on rare occasions, both.

The most common way I use it is very low on the waist, to enable IWB carry at 4 or 5 o'clock. I do not wear a belt.

For comfort, i always wear a t shirt under the band, even when carrying low on the waist since the grip of the gun sticks out above the band and will chafe your skin.

YMMV, and good luck.


I tried wearing mine low. While walking around it's great, but sit in the car.... no go. Gun poking me somewhere, especially when I tried keeping it appendix area. So up high is what works for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-07-2017, 07:08 PM
eb07 eb07 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,485
Likes: 1,828
Liked 3,341 Times in 907 Posts
Default

The galco stow and go clip is strong enough to stay on when carrying appendix without a belt and you draw the weapon. I wear it with board shorts and my 442 often in the summer. You can also go the MIC route and tie off to a belt loop on shorts and or pants. Done that too.

Just a few options I found work in the hot AZ summers. belly band is no bueno in hot weather in my opinion.

Last edited by eb07; 06-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:07 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
I tried wearing mine low. While walking around it's great, but sit in the car.... no go. Gun poking me somewhere, especially when I tried keeping it appendix area. So up high is what works for me.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I carry IWB now at 3:00 and I have found the position that doesn't pinch. A band being softer than the Aliengear should be a bit more comfortable.

Carrying higher than my waist is not an option that I even want to consider.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:08 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb07 View Post
The galco stow and go clip is strong enough to stay on when carrying appendix without a belt and you draw the weapon. I wear it with board shorts and my 442 often in the summer. You can also go the MIC route and tie off to a belt loop on shorts and or pants. Done that too.

Just a few options I found work in the hot AZ summers. belly band is no bueno in hot weather in my opinion.
I want something that attaches to me and not a light pair of shorts. I'm way too old to go "saggin" from the weight.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:21 PM
eb07 eb07 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,485
Likes: 1,828
Liked 3,341 Times in 907 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I want something that attaches to me and not a light pair of shorts. I'm way too old to go "saggin" from the weight.

Cliff
The shield is light enough not to sag.....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:39 PM
walkin' trails walkin' trails is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,117
Likes: 1,390
Liked 487 Times in 277 Posts
Default Belly band holster

I have used the Bianchi model and a cheap one. I used the cheap one about three years ago for carrying an M&P 45 under a cumberbund in a tux at a wedding. Big mistake. While I had no mishaps or embarrassing moments, it required periodic adjustment. I haven't used one since. Forbwhat it's worth, I never found the Bianchi all that comfortable either, but used it for running. For your Shield, I'd look for a quality IWB clip like the Spencer Concealment Errand, or the G-Code Incog. The bell band by Crossbreed looked promising, but I haven t been interested enough to try it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-07-2017, 08:45 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkin' trails View Post
I have used the Bianchi model and a cheap one. I used the cheap one about three years ago for carrying an M&P 45 under a cumberbund in a tux at a wedding. Big mistake. While I had no mishaps or embarrassing moments, it required periodic adjustment. I haven't used one since. Forbwhat it's worth, I never found the Bianchi all that comfortable either, but used it for running. For your Shield, I'd look for a quality IWB clip like the Spencer Concealment Errand, or the G-Code Incog. The bell band by Crossbreed looked promising, but I haven t been interested enough to try it.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've got a couple different clip style and they aren't what I'm looking for. I'm pretty set on some sort of band but I'm looking for the right one.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
eahicks eahicks is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 313
Likes: 66
Liked 239 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Check out this one. Supposed to be very good.





Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-07-2017, 09:52 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
That one looks pretty good. It's a lot like the one I saw.



Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm

Last edited by Bayoutalker; 06-07-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 06-07-2017, 11:08 PM
richardw's Avatar
richardw richardw is offline
US Veteran
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: SE PA
Posts: 973
Likes: 292
Liked 2,431 Times in 651 Posts
Default

I took a different path to the CC with shorts in summer. I bought shorts that take a belt. Tried and true IWB carry on the belt.

I considered a belly band but asked myself why I would want to wrap my torso around to be able to CC when belted shorts would be just like wearing belted trousers.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 AM
Mildew Mildew is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
I'm not seeing the advantage of this type of belly band. If you want the gun in that position, why not just put it in a belt holster?
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:10 AM
eahicks eahicks is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 313
Likes: 66
Liked 239 Times in 123 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mildew View Post
I'm not seeing the advantage of this type of belly band. If you want the gun in that position, why not just put it in a belt holster?


If you don't have a belt on.... that's what it is for. If it has to be explained to you.... can't help you man.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:20 AM
younggun22 younggun22 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: VA
Posts: 782
Likes: 133
Liked 1,050 Times in 227 Posts
Default

While not a belly band style holster I really like the compression short style holster. I wear them in the summer with shorts and I have even worn them when I have gone running. Might be worth looking into.

UnderTech UnderCover - Concealed Carry Clothing
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 06-08-2017, 11:29 AM
Mildew Mildew is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 27
Likes: 0
Liked 27 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eahicks View Post
If you don't have a belt on.... that's what it is for. If it has to be explained to you.... can't help you man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HA! Some of us need a belt to keep our britches up.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:49 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardw View Post
I took a different path to the CC with shorts in summer. I bought shorts that take a belt. Tried and true IWB carry on the belt.

I considered a belly band but asked myself why I would want to wrap my torso around to be able to CC when belted shorts would be just like wearing belted trousers.
I have belted shorts and what I currently have work well with them but I also wear gym shorts, bathing suits, etc depending on what I am doing. 99% of the time I wear a belt but I need something for the times I don't.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 06-08-2017, 12:54 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by younggun22 View Post
While not a belly band style holster I really like the compression short style holster. I wear them in the summer with shorts and I have even worn them when I have gone running. Might be worth looking into.

UnderTech UnderCover - Concealed Carry Clothing
Not my style of underwear. It also does not allow you to change the position you want to carry.

A belly band seems to allow more flexibility. The question I have is...which one and why?

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 06-12-2017, 12:22 AM
Will41 Will41 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 187
Likes: 10
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Default

My wife and I looked at them this weekend, but did not think they looked comfortable. I have carried Remora holsters for years, and they are very comfortable. But, I have switched to IWB kydex holsters recently and like them better. They are more secure, easier to reholster, draw, and almost as comfortable.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 06-12-2017, 01:20 AM
CB3's Avatar
CB3 CB3 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Utah
Posts: 799
Likes: 491
Liked 674 Times in 308 Posts
Default

AIWB is better concealment than 3 o'clock, IMO.

I have used Thunderwear successfully when needed for 20 years for this same kind of application. No covering shirt necessary. Secure. Discreet. Comfortable. Everything you are asking for except not 3 o'clock.

Thunderwear Holsters - The Ultimate in Concealment!

Last edited by CB3; 06-12-2017 at 01:21 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 06-12-2017, 01:54 AM
EMR EMR is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 12
Likes: 4
Liked 14 Times in 4 Posts
Default

I've used a smart carry for two years under scrub pants. I currently use a J-frame and a LCP in it at the 1 o'clock position just under the waist band. The j-frame's handle rides above the waistband but the LCP rides below. But there's no reason you couldn't use it at the 3 o'clock and they have models to fit extra mags. It rides outside of my boxers so it never contacts my skin.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #36  
Old 06-12-2017, 08:22 AM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB3 View Post
AIWB is better concealment than 3 o'clock, IMO.

I have used Thunderwear successfully when needed for 20 years for this same kind of application. No covering shirt necessary. Secure. Discreet. Comfortable. Everything you are asking for except not 3 o'clock.

Thunderwear Holsters - The Ultimate in Concealment!
I've tried AIWB and it doesn't work for me. It's just too uncomfortable while sitting. With a belly band I believe I will be able to try different positions until I find the one that works best. The question is.....which one?

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 06-13-2017, 12:28 PM
Chief Wiggums Chief Wiggums is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 80
Likes: 67
Liked 88 Times in 42 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
Is that because of being hot? What material was it made from?

Cliff
definitely because of heat.
sweaty , sticky and very uncomfortable.
tee shirt on first , then the band and then another shirt.
I know others who swear by them , but for myself, its not a good solution

(material was neoprene)
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 06-14-2017, 09:44 AM
rodspade rodspade is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9
Likes: 5
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I sometimes carry my LCP in an UnderTech "Original Belly Band." The LCP is small enough that I can tuck the tip of the pinky extension (on the magazine) into the belly band pocket, keeping the whole gun tight against me. I wear it very low (inside the waistband) at 2 o'clock, and it conceals perfectly.

If I wanted to carry a spare mag with the LCP, I would probably get a pocket mag holster and keep the magazine in my pants pocket.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:21 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I keep my spare mag in my pocket now but with all of the other junk I carry it is a pain.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 06-14-2017, 12:34 PM
geeollie geeollie is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: on the great plains
Posts: 38
Likes: 4
Liked 21 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Horseshoe Leather in England has or used to make a design that incorporated a cloth belt and an attached holster to wear under your pants.

The idea of a comfortable belt and quality holster under my shorts beats to all goodness any belly band/tee shirt holster I have ever tried. Seems that belly bands wrap me up worse than any belt. Just my 6 cents.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 06-14-2017, 02:55 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I wore a back support belt for work. I can't imagine that a belly band would be any different. I am a scuba diver so I am used to neoprene on my skin too.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #42  
Old 06-14-2017, 10:16 PM
John Reid's Avatar
John Reid John Reid is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Florida
Posts: 88
Likes: 901
Liked 79 Times in 46 Posts
Default

I've never owned one of these but they look interesting. The holster can be worn low around the waist or high under the arm with the shoulder strap.

Concealment holsters. Comfortable, versatile for subcompact handguns. Start carrying in comfort! | Pistol Wear

Hope this is helpful. Semper Fi.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 06-15-2017, 07:12 AM
Ranger17's Avatar
Ranger17 Ranger17 is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Back in WI
Posts: 1,368
Likes: 284
Liked 1,002 Times in 483 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I wore a back support belt for work. I can't imagine that a belly band would be any different. I am a scuba diver so I am used to neoprene on my skin too.

Cliff
i have to wear one now every time i'm lifting or doing heavy work; need the support. So I could see where the similarity to a belly band would come into play as I can get used to the wrapped feeling.

I'd admit though that i have considered a belly band as an option for short periods, ie exercise, wearing gym shorts, etc but i dont think i'd use one long term or over a holster/belt option.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:01 AM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Reid View Post
I've never owned one of these but they look interesting. The holster can be worn low around the waist or high under the arm with the shoulder strap.

Concealment holsters. Comfortable, versatile for subcompact handguns. Start carrying in comfort! | Pistol Wear

Hope this is helpful. Semper Fi.
Doesn't look to bad but I don't see any provision for a spare mag. Thanks

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #45  
Old 06-15-2017, 08:02 AM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger17 View Post
i have to wear one now every time i'm lifting or doing heavy work; need the support. So I could see where the similarity to a belly band would come into play as I can get used to the wrapped feeling.

I'd admit though that i have considered a belly band as an option for short periods, ie exercise, wearing gym shorts, etc but i dont think i'd use one long term or over a holster/belt option.
That's what I'm looking for, short periods. I like my Aliengear for normal wear.

Sent from my SM-T217S using Tapatalk
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 07-20-2017, 08:58 AM
JermaineRedmond JermaineRedmond is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Jul 2017
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

The hot weather of summer can make concealed carry quite a challenge, and for many, this results in leaving the gun at home. you will have to make some adjustments and sacrifices to accomplish carrying effectively and safely throughout the year. Personally, I don't like the belly band. It's extremely sweaty and uncomfortable too.

Last edited by JermaineRedmond; 09-03-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 07-20-2017, 09:09 AM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I've worn a neoprene back belt working outdoors before and while it is a bit hot, it is not that bad. I've looked at many other options and the belly band seems like the best option for what I need. I just need info on which one works best to hold a pistol. One key point is I don't want the gun to touch my skin any more than necessary, particularly the muzzle.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 07-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Beardog Beardog is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 2
Likes: 5
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
In preparation for the summer I am considering a belly band holster for those days when I don't want to wear a belt. I have an Aliengear Cloak Tuck 3 that works great but not without a belt.

Here is what I need to do:

Shield 9mm (snug fit)
Carry at 3:00 IWB
1-2 extra mags
Comfortable against my skin

What advice can you guys & gals offer?

Cliff
I recently ordered a belly band for summer wear while biking and just because of wearing lightweight clothing with no belt.

I ordered mine from Daltech Force. I am very happy with their service and the product and would recommend them.

They are custom made to your specs when you order.
I told them exactly how and where I wanted the pockets placed and they did it exactly to my request. I even requested a smaller pocket for my money clip to be added beside the mag pouch and they added it with no problem.
I opted for the extra spandex lining for comfort against my bare skin and I am glad I did as it feels smooth and comfortable.
They are made in the USA and the materials are of high quality.

Black 6" Wide One Gun Belly Band Holster – Daltech Force

Last edited by Beardog; 07-20-2017 at 02:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 07-20-2017, 05:20 PM
Bayoutalker's Avatar
Bayoutalker Bayoutalker is offline
Member
Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster Belly band holster  
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Beaumont, TX
Posts: 170
Likes: 7
Liked 50 Times in 39 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardog View Post
I recently ordered a belly band for summer wear while biking and just because of wearing lightweight clothing with no belt.

I ordered mine from Daltech Force. I am very happy with their service and the product and would recommend them.

They are custom made to your specs when you order.
I told them exactly how and where I wanted the pockets placed and they did it exactly to my request. I even requested a smaller pocket for my money clip to be added beside the mag pouch and they added it with no problem.
I opted for the extra spandex lining for comfort against my bare skin and I am glad I did as it feels smooth and comfortable.
They are made in the USA and the materials are of high quality.

Black 6" Wide One Gun Belly Band Holster Daltech Force
That looks like what I'm looking for. I'll have to give them a call. Thanks.

Cliff
__________________
Cliff
Shield 9mm
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 07-20-2017, 05:32 PM
haywood's Avatar
haywood haywood is offline
Member
Belly band holster  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: N. Ohio
Posts: 898
Likes: 3,621
Liked 1,008 Times in 449 Posts
Default

I use one at times with my 442. I wear it at belt line keeping the gun in the Appendix Area. Kind of like using a Smart carry. Today it was in the high 80s I used it because my back is bothering me and it gives some support. The Belly Band got wet and so did the gun. If I do this again I'm going to put it in a pocket Holster and insert that into the Belly bands Holster pocket to better protect the gun.
__________________
Two Revolvers every day
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Belly Band Holster for Shield RussC Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols 4 12-23-2015 08:21 PM
Belly Band Holster for 642? gr7070 S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 9 01-18-2014 03:33 PM
Belly Band holster Kensterfly Concealed Carry & Self Defense 11 01-01-2014 09:04 AM
question about a belly band holster smokemeister25 Concealed Carry & Self Defense 4 11-19-2012 04:39 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:12 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2018
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)