Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

Smith & Wesson M&P Pistols All Variants of the Smith & Wesson M&P Auto Series


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-07-2021, 07:38 PM
doc540 doc540 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 1,692
Likes: 63
Liked 1,027 Times in 317 Posts
Default Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?

Is it a technically verifiable fact that disabling the grip safety on an EZ 380 PC will increase the risk of the gun firing if dropped?

In other words, is the grip safety essential to increase an EZ 380 PC's "drop safe status"?

This is not a legality, risk question.

It's a mechanical/design question for those who can verify/document an answer.

thnx
__________________
Professional Trainer
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-07-2021, 07:44 PM
ken158 ken158 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,687
Likes: 1,006
Liked 2,890 Times in 1,291 Posts
Default

I don't have an EZ but if you look at a schematic and see what happens when the safety is and isn’t depressed will likely show you if you could deactivate it successfully where it would still fire. Better idea is to just trade it off for a Shield.
__________________
S&W factory revolver armorer
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-07-2021, 07:46 PM
doc540 doc540 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 1,692
Likes: 63
Liked 1,027 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken158 View Post
I don't have an EZ but if you look at a schematic and see what happens when the safety is and isnít depressed will likely show you if you could deactivate it successfully where it would still fire. Better idea is to just trade it off for a Shield.
Thanks, but that didn't answer the question that I went out of my way to be clear about.
__________________
Professional Trainer
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-07-2021, 08:06 PM
Jon651 Jon651 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Central Florida
Posts: 715
Likes: 759
Liked 1,797 Times in 545 Posts
Default

I don't think very many people are qualified to answer your question in the manner in which you put it because no personal user/owner has taken the time to perform the drop tests needed to verify any theory. However, it is apparent just by handling the weapon that if you don't have the grip safety pressed in you cannot move the trigger to the rear, and if it is pressed in you can move the trigger to the rear.

Therefore, if you disable the grip safety (by using a rubber band or wrap of electrical tape, for example) whatever action you perform with the pistol that causes the trigger to move to the rear can possibly fire the gun.

The grip safety performs the same function as the jointed trigger on striker-fired pistols. Frankly I don't think S&W would go through all the design and production issues to put the grip safety in place for drop-firing prevention if it wasn't intended to work.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-07-2021, 08:37 PM
gc70 gc70 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: NC
Posts: 285
Likes: 235
Liked 364 Times in 122 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
Is it a technically verifiable fact that disabling the grip safety on an EZ 380 PC will increase the risk of the gun firing if dropped?
YES.

Depressing the grip safety raises a bar in the left side of the frame that lifts the firing pin safety so that the firing pin is not blocked from forward movement.

Disabling the grip safety by tying or pining it down would be tantamount to removing the firing pin safety, which would obviously increase the gun's risk of firing if dropped. However, it would be a bit more complex, because the bar that the grip safety moves must be able to drop down (grip safety not depressed) for the slide to be removed or reinstalled (see page from manual below).

If the bar that is raised by the grip safety was removed, the condition of the grip safety would become irrelevant, but then there would be nothing to lift the firing pin safety. Thus, the firing pin safety would also have to be removed to be able to fire the gun. And removing the firing pin safety would be an obvious no-no.
Attached Thumbnails
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?-9ez-manual-jpg  

Last edited by gc70; 01-07-2021 at 08:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 01-07-2021, 11:19 PM
doc540 doc540 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Beaumont, Texas
Posts: 1,692
Likes: 63
Liked 1,027 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc70 View Post
YES.

Depressing the grip safety raises a bar in the left side of the frame that lifts the firing pin safety so that the firing pin is not blocked from forward movement.

Disabling the grip safety by tying or pining it down would be tantamount to removing the firing pin safety, which would obviously increase the gun's risk of firing if dropped. However, it would be a bit more complex, because the bar that the grip safety moves must be able to drop down (grip safety not depressed) for the slide to be removed or reinstalled (see page from manual below).

If the bar that is raised by the grip safety was removed, the condition of the grip safety would become irrelevant, but then there would be nothing to lift the firing pin safety. Thus, the firing pin safety would also have to be removed to be able to fire the gun. And removing the firing pin safety would be an obvious no-no.
Thanks, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.
__________________
Professional Trainer
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 01-07-2021, 11:46 PM
ken158 ken158 is offline
Member
Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety? Disabling EZ 380 PC Grip Safety?  
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 3,687
Likes: 1,006
Liked 2,890 Times in 1,291 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc540 View Post
Thanks, but that didn't answer the question that I went out of my way to be clear about.
My answer was to suggest a direction for you to look to consider the answer to your question, rather then give you an engineering answer.
__________________
S&W factory revolver armorer

Last edited by ken158; 01-07-2021 at 11:51 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
EDC With Disabling Injuries federali Concealed Carry & Self Defense 18 04-12-2018 11:34 PM
Disabling The Magazine Safety On A Model 52 kidcom S&W-Smithing 13 02-10-2018 11:46 PM
Disabling the lock? keepitlow S&W-Smithing 24 12-02-2015 02:58 PM
Disabling the magazine disconnect on a 908 Iram Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 8 02-01-2010 06:15 PM
Need help disabling lock $$ (Missouri) HK-N-THE-HOUSE S&W-Smithing 5 12-23-2008 03:38 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:20 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)