Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-05-2017, 01:28 AM
Ricrock Ricrock is offline
Member
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: The Republic of Texas
Posts: 102
Likes: 18
Liked 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1

Hey, I took Disabled1's advice and bought one of the Fieldsport Red Dot Sights (Red only), and took it to the range. It zeroed quickly and has so far held zero with over 100 rounds thru the rifle.

I am running a test to see how the battery holds up. Set on setting #4 so far (since 4-28-2017) it is just as bright as it was when I installed it.

I will update this thread later.

Rick
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-05-2017, 09:50 AM
shadyvalleyman shadyvalleyman is offline
Member
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 38
Likes: 0
Liked 34 Times in 7 Posts
Default got one myself

Just got mine yesterday. Expect to receive remarks that since it is not an Aimpoint or EO-tech that the world is going to end in dire straits.

Enjoy it knowing that for $20.00 to $25.00 dollars you have a decent, workable red dot sight.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 PM
Disabled1's Avatar
Disabled1 Disabled1 is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: South Of The North Pole
Posts: 949
Likes: 341
Liked 570 Times in 328 Posts
Thumbs up

It's my pleasure to help you fine members out. You don't need a lot of money to accessorize your AR-15. I can see if you're going into combat or shooting professionally, yes, you would want SOME high $$$ parts. Most people that add name brand parts to their AR's are just doing it to make others think they have money and/or to just show off.
I just recently bought an AR STONER trigger group. I then bought a JP ENTERPRISE 3.5 lb. spring kit. The spring kit combined with the trigger resulted in a 4.75-5 lb. smooth as silk, breaking like a glass rod, trigger! Total cost? $39.95 with FREE S&H on both parts/kits! My shooting buddies tell me it's just as good or better than an ALG & BCM PNT trigger.
Just PM me if you want to save more money.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-05-2017, 04:44 PM
cyphertext cyphertext is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 3,855
Likes: 840
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1 View Post
Most people that add name brand parts to their AR's are just doing it to make others think they have money and/or to just show off.
Have to disagree with you here. I think most people that add name brand parts do so because they trust the quality. Many have purchased lower quality parts, just to end up replacing them later and eventually have spent more on 2 or 3 optics that have been replaced than they would have if they would have purchased one known quality item in the first place.

Don't get me wrong... I have inexpensive guns and I have inexpensive gear... and those items have their place. However, I have some things that are more expensive and they do perform better than the cheaper stuff... for example, I have a Nikon Monarch scope on my .30-06 that replaced a Simmons or Bushnell (don't remember which) that came with the rifle. At 9:00 AM at the range, shooting 100 yards, really didn't make much difference. But at dawn, one half hour before sunrise, deer at my feeder 100 yards away... couldn't see them in the cheap scope... not enough light. My son missed an opportunity to take his first deer because of the limitation of the equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyvalleyman
Expect to receive remarks that since it is not an Aimpoint or EO-tech that the world is going to end in dire straits.
No, the world won't end... but your range session might.. or hunt... or whatever activity you were using the item for. For use at the range or a hunt out at the farm, maybe it doesn't matter if your optic quits... but if it is a competition or a paid hunt, maybe it does.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-05-2017, 05:26 PM
Disabled1's Avatar
Disabled1 Disabled1 is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: South Of The North Pole
Posts: 949
Likes: 341
Liked 570 Times in 328 Posts
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Have to disagree with you here. I think most people that add name brand parts do so because they trust the quality. Many have purchased lower quality parts, just to end up replacing them later and eventually have spent more on 2 or 3 optics that have been replaced than they would have if they would have purchased one known quality item in the first place.

Don't get me wrong... I have inexpensive guns and I have inexpensive gear... and those items have their place. However, I have some things that are more expensive and they do perform better than the cheaper stuff... for example, I have a Nikon Monarch scope on my .30-06 that replaced a Simmons or Bushnell (don't remember which) that came with the rifle. At 9:00 AM at the range, shooting 100 yards, really didn't make much difference. But at dawn, one half hour before sunrise, deer at my feeder 100 yards away... couldn't see them in the cheap scope... not enough light. My son missed an opportunity to take his first deer because of the limitation of the equipment.



No, the world won't end... but your range session might.. or hunt... or whatever activity you were using the item for. For use at the range or a hunt out at the farm, maybe it doesn't matter if your optic quits... but if it is a competition or a paid hunt, maybe it does.
I KNOW FOR A FACT some people have bought expensive parts to show off or to show they have money. And, I forgot about the ones that buy these parts so they can be in the CLIQUE!
I'm not going to quote you on everything you stated because I'm being lazy right now. 2 *******' tests at the drs. today has wore me out! BUT, I know I'm right about the aforementioned things I stated! I even see it almost every day. Most of what you state is true, BUT, there ARE those that just want others to think they are BIG SHOTS!
BTW, there is a website with an M4 in its .net with a carbine, that has a BOAT LOAD of these BIG SHOTS!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-05-2017, 06:49 PM
C J C J is offline
Member
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 448
Likes: 118
Liked 172 Times in 107 Posts
Default

Quote:
I KNOW FOR A FACT some people have bought expensive parts to show off or to show they have money. And, I forgot about the ones that buy these parts so they can be in the CLIQUE!
No doubt what you say is true. I've seen people ask the most basic newbie questions about a gun or a type of gun and a week later they are answering questions like they are a long time shooting genius. Pay no attention to that guy that has been shooting for 50 years. He doesn't know a thing. The fan boys said something was true so it must be. Specifically someone told me my Remington 870 Express was a "rust bucket" a week after asking what shotgun was a good choice. The in crowd (mostly 2 people who posted the same message 50 times a day - both had caused their shotguns to rust by leaving them inside foam lined cases) had told him to stay away from an Express. That was just about 10 years ago I guess. My Express still doesn't have a speck of rust on it. shoots great too.

Hey I have two Taurus pistols. I'm not afraid of what "they" say. Both of those pistols are excellent. Yes they make some junk but they make some good stuff too. I also have a Sig P220. I put it in the safe and carried a Taurus instead for years. So I'm not that guy that follows the herd.

I am the guy that has a box full of red dot scopes that were given to me by various people and not one of them cost over $25 I'd bet. And not one of them is any better than a dog pile. That's why I don't buy $25 red dot sights. If I had known about $25 red dot sights that work I might well have one. I have 2 good red dot sights. One is a Vortex I bought because of the reputation for quality and the lifetime warranty. The second is a Primary Arms Advanced. I actually started to buy the base model (which is pretty cheap) but the 50,000 hour battery thing swayed me. But I also have a $20 laser I've had mounted on a .22 for about 20 years. Still works great. I have a $20 green laser too. It works great too. I don't buy to impress anyone but me.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-05-2017, 08:16 PM
Bryan Burke Bryan Burke is offline
Member
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 4
Likes: 3
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Smith and Wesson ar 15 5.56

I would like to find out what would be a good scope for my AR M&P 15 5.56

Last edited by Bryan Burke; 05-05-2017 at 08:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:12 PM
cyphertext cyphertext is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 3,855
Likes: 840
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Burke View Post
I would like to find out what would be a good scope for my AR M&P 15 5.56
It will depend on what your use is and how much you want to spend.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 PM
Kadonny's Avatar
Kadonny Kadonny is offline
Member
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 1,241
Likes: 642
Liked 543 Times in 336 Posts
Default

I have a bunch of optics, including some cheaper stuff. But once I went Trijicon, I never went back. Sorry.
__________________
Too many Smiths to list now.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:20 PM
cyphertext cyphertext is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 3,855
Likes: 840
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by C J View Post
I am the guy that has a box full of red dot scopes that were given to me by various people and not one of them cost over $25 I'd bet. And not one of them is any better than a dog pile. That's why I don't buy $25 red dot sights.
I've tried a couple too... one ended up on my son's airsoft gun. Didn't matter that it didn't keep zero... it looked cool!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-05-2017, 10:34 PM
cyphertext cyphertext is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Wylie, TX
Posts: 3,855
Likes: 840
Liked 2,913 Times in 1,599 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1 View Post
I KNOW FOR A FACT some people have bought expensive parts to show off or to show they have money.
Sure there are some like that... but there are others who buy because of the features, quality, and reputation that the item will work.

If the $20 red dot meets your needs, then great. My experience with the less than $80 range hasn't been so good.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-06-2017, 01:31 AM
Disabled1's Avatar
Disabled1 Disabled1 is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: South Of The North Pole
Posts: 949
Likes: 341
Liked 570 Times in 328 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyphertext View Post
Sure there are some like that... but there are others who buy because of the features, quality, and reputation that the item will work.

If the $20 red dot meets your needs, then great. My experience with the less than $80 range hasn't been so good.
I don't NEED a red dot. I don't even need a scope. Iron sights suffice my needs. I bought the FIELDSPORT red dot because someone told me it was a lesser value red dot made by AIMPOINT, but without their name on it. You know, like Peter Pan making Wal-Marts version of Great Value peanut butter (That's value priced PB for those of you that think that type of PB is "beneath" your standards). I had never looked through a red dot until a few years ago, but wasn't impressed, then. I have a bolt action rifle with a nice scope and that's as far as my optic world goes. Well, besides my reading glasses.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-06-2017, 05:17 PM
Rastoff's Avatar
Rastoff Rastoff is offline
US Veteran
FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1 FieldSport Red Dot, Thanks Disabled1  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: So Cal (Near Edwards AFB)
Posts: 11,138
Likes: 1,624
Liked 10,173 Times in 4,198 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1 View Post
Most people...
Whenever you start a sentence like that, expect to be questioned by "most people" because it's rarely true. Sure, some guys buy expensive stuff just to say they have expensive stuff. Some, guys buy expensive gear because their lives depend on it. Then there are some that just like a certain thing and that thing just happens to cost more than a few dollars.

However, this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1 View Post
My AR's are for fun. Oh, and they are safe queens at that.
...tells me that any $3 piece of equipment will work for you. Since you don't use your guns anyway, it doesn't matter what you put on them. Just don't give out advice saying your $25 optic is just as good as a $700 optic, because it's not. Neither would you have the experience to say that it is. By your own words, you don't shoot your guns anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disabled1
I bought the FIELDSPORT red dot because someone told me it was a lesser value red dot made by AIMPOINT, but without their name on it.
Stop. This is just wrong. We've discussed this before. Whoever told you it was made by Aimpoint, just without their name on it, was wrong. You know it's wrong because we've discussed it before. I personally called Aimpoint and talked to them about it. They don't have any products made in China. So, to continue to write that it is an Aimpoint, on a public forum, when it's not, is libelous and violates the intent of this forum.

I'm glad you like your el cheapo optic. There are thousands of people who bought the same thing and like it just as much. I'm happy for all of you. More people out there shooting only helps promote gun enthusiasm. If this $25 optic will help get more people out there, great. Just stop trying to represent this optic as something it isn't.
__________________
Freedom isn't free.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:54 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)