Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols > Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols
o

Notices

Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols Other Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols from the 1950's to Present


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-10-2012, 08:03 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28

In the last couple of days I've been "kicking a tire" over whether or not to part with my 3566. At the very least I'm looking to gather some idea of what a current, real world, value might be on this firearm as I haven't seen much on them lately. Any feedback you can provide would be much appreciated....to help along, here are some pictures. It has paperwork, original box and 2 x 12 round mags - my understanding is as part of the Stocking Dealer program there were less than 100 of them made in this caliber.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLR Random 082.jpg (73.6 KB, 278 views)
File Type: jpg SLR Random 089.jpg (117.1 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg SLR Random 090.jpg (87.6 KB, 280 views)
File Type: jpg 3566 Paperwork.jpg (4.3 KB, 290 views)
File Type: jpg SLR Random 086.jpg (84.1 KB, 169 views)

Last edited by torbo; 05-11-2012 at 01:08 PM. Reason: Pictures not uploading
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-11-2012, 06:36 AM
XPman XPman is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tenn.
Posts: 89
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Yep, I would be interested as well in the prices, as I have a pair in the 3.5" bbl. length with consecutive SNs under 100... I've had mine since 94, but have not had any info on them, sorry that I can't help as I have no idea what they might be worth... I only know I gave around $1,700 for the pair NIB...



Have a good one...XPman...

Last edited by XPman; 05-11-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:44 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPman View Post
Yep, I would be interested as well in the prices, as I have a pair in the 3.5" bbl. length with consecutive SNs under 100... I've had mine since 94, but have not had any info on them, sorry that I can't help as I have no idea what they might be worth... I only know I gave around $1,700 for the pair NIB...



Have a good one...XPman...
Thanks! Good looking set! I have the Stocking Dealer paperwork that goes with the model I have, but, of course that was from 1993 and doesn't put much on value. In looking it up in the 2012 Firearms Reference Guide there is only a short blip on the gun with no numbers.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-11-2012, 12:55 PM
Smee78 Smee78 is offline
Banned
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SC/TX
Posts: 618
Likes: 339
Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Torbo, that is an awsome rear sight on your gun, do you know who made it? Factory?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:03 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee78 View Post
Torbo, that is an awsome rear sight on your gun, do you know who made it? Factory?
The gun is all original from the Factory (PC), I'm not sure if S&W is the actual manufacturer of the sight, or, if they sourced it from another for the gun - there are no markings on the sight as for make...I did just upload the Factory Paperwork showing this model as the Stocking Dealer, if you want to contact S&W it might help in asking after the sight.

Last edited by torbo; 05-11-2012 at 01:09 PM. Reason: Paperwork
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:23 PM
WNC Seabee WNC Seabee is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: W. NC
Posts: 737
Likes: 78
Liked 196 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee78 View Post
Torbo, that is an awsome rear sight on your gun, do you know who made it? Factory?
looks a lot like an LPA sight.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WNC Seabee View Post
looks a lot like an LPA sight.
I pulled out the hardcopy of my paperwork just now and looked on the back...you are correct - "LPA Adjustable Micrometer Click" - is what's listed on the specs. Apologies, I was looked at my scanned version at first just showing the front.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-11-2012, 03:05 PM
XPman XPman is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tenn.
Posts: 89
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by torbo View Post
Thanks! Good looking set! I have the Stocking Dealer paperwork that goes with the model I have, but, of course that was from 1993 and doesn't put much on value. In looking it up in the 2012 Firearms Reference Guide there is only a short blip on the gun with no numbers.
I don't know what kind of papers they are but I have the papers that have on the front "Product Profile" and on the back has "Specifications", it lists my sights as Front/Rear-Novack LoMount combat which are different than yours... It also states on the front that mine are personal carry size pistols... My receipt was also in the box and I bought mine 1-28-94 and gave $1,557.50 + $128.49 tax for a total of $1,685.99 for the pair... SNs PCY-0057 & PCY-0058...
I think I am just going to shoot the heck out of mine and enjoy them as much as I can...lol...
Being an accuracy shooter I have not had an interest in this type pistol, but I have about quit the accuracy game and just shoot for fun lately, so I have been playing with the semi-autos a bit and pretty much enjoy it...
A lot of difference goin from 24 & 42x scopes to short open sights, especially with 75 YO eyes, I think I am doing it bassackwards...lol...
Have a good one...XPman...
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:26 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPman View Post
I don't know what kind of papers they are but I have the papers that have on the front "Product Profile" and on the back has "Specifications", it lists my sights as Front/Rear-Novack LoMount combat which are different than yours... It also states on the front that mine are personal carry size pistols... My receipt was also in the box and I bought mine 1-28-94 and gave $1,557.50 + $128.49 tax for a total of $1,685.99 for the pair... SNs PCY-0057 & PCY-0058...
I think I am just going to shoot the heck out of mine and enjoy them as much as I can...lol...
Being an accuracy shooter I have not had an interest in this type pistol, but I have about quit the accuracy game and just shoot for fun lately, so I have been playing with the semi-autos a bit and pretty much enjoy it...
A lot of difference goin from 24 & 42x scopes to short open sights, especially with 75 YO eyes, I think I am doing it bassackwards...lol...
Have a good one...XPman...
Yes, those look very similar to my PC9 - which is a two tone, 9 mm compact from the Performance Center...in fact, other than material/weight, they look pretty darn close. My PC9 has the Novack sights as well.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-11-2012, 04:43 PM
CALREB's Avatar
CALREB CALREB is offline
SWCA Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RE-tired in Texas
Posts: 1,335
Likes: 238
Liked 2,150 Times in 637 Posts
Default

Ive seen those stocking dealer guns before ,but in .40 cal. I have some of the compact 9s and a shorty forty. But they are all alloy frame.
If I had a 356 gun, I would hustle it off to the P/C and have it fitted with an extra 9mm barrel for cheaper shooting. With the all steel frame those would make a easy shooting 9. Just a thought. Nice guns guys, good luck. bob
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-11-2012, 07:03 PM
Rock185's Avatar
Rock185 Rock185 is offline
US Veteran
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Under the Tonto Rim
Posts: 1,611
Likes: 13,227
Liked 2,436 Times in 902 Posts
Thumbs up

I saw a .356 like yours at a gunshow, 3-4 years ago now. Very clean, but don't think it had the box and paperwork. They were asking $600.00 for it. If it had been a 9MM I'd have snapped it up. If I had a.356, and didn't really need to sell it, I suspect I'd do what CALREB suggested. I passed on a 9MM version, advertised as NIB, here in Arizona several months ago. I believe that one sold for approx. $1200.00 +tax, from a shop. I was working on another hobby/gun project at the time, or I'd have bought that NIB 9MM one...
__________________
NRA Life, COTEP 640
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-12-2012, 10:01 AM
XPman XPman is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tenn.
Posts: 89
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALREB View Post
If I had a 356 gun, I would hustle it off to the P/C and have it fitted with an extra 9mm barrel for cheaper shooting. With the all steel frame those would make a easy shooting 9. Just a thought. Nice guns guys, good luck. bob
I could be wrong, but I really don't think that is necesary as I have shot one of mine with my hand loads (Starline 356 brass/6.2 gr. Univ./124 gr. GDHPs/Win. primers) and all went perfect for the box of 50 I shot... Then I tried Std. 115 gr. FMJ winchester 9mms and it would just barley lay them out for the 1st 25, then out of the next 25 I had 2 or 3 to SP... I did shoot a couple with the small inner recoil spring removed and it threw them about where my 356 handloads went...
I now have on hand 10 boxes of 9x21 Fiocchi w/123 gr. FMJs @ (Adv.)1280 fps which I think will operate fine with both springs in, I will say more after I range check them, but I fully expect all to go well... Since they are only (1/2 mm) .0196" or 1/64+" short I foresee no problem with the length, or power to operate...
Of course that is just my opinion, I will listen to others...
Have a good one...XPman...
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-12-2012, 04:12 PM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPman View Post
I could be wrong, but I really don't think that is necesary as I have shot one of mine with my hand loads (Starline 356 brass/6.2 gr. Univ./124 gr. GDHPs/Win. primers) and all went perfect for the box of 50 I shot... Then I tried Std. 115 gr. FMJ winchester 9mms and it would just barley lay them out for the 1st 25, then out of the next 25 I had 2 or 3 to SP... I did shoot a couple with the small inner recoil spring removed and it threw them about where my 356 handloads went...
I now have on hand 10 boxes of 9x21 Fiocchi w/123 gr. FMJs @ (Adv.)1280 fps which I think will operate fine with both springs in, I will say more after I range check them, but I fully expect all to go well... Since they are only (1/2 mm) .0196" or 1/64+" short I foresee no problem with the length, or power to operate...
Of course that is just my opinion, I will listen to others...
Have a good one...XPman...
I have been reading a bit online today regarding the 9x21 ammo and it seems that it will work fine in the 356 TSW guns...there was an auction online of the 5 inch Limited version of this gun where the seller specifically mentions speaking with Smith and Wesson about 9x21 ammo and they confirmed for the seller it would work...I may give them a ring to confirm myself to be safe. Now I just have to nail down if I keep this and shoot it, or, move forward with selling it - in 19+ years I have not shot it and I'm at that point where I want to, or, just move on to another firearm. Unfortunately, it really is a great gun all around - look, feel, finish, etc.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 PM
XPman XPman is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tenn.
Posts: 89
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

I know exactly what you mean torbo, I kept both mine unfired till a couple of months ago... I had sat on my rear and had no idea the ammo had went south... I still feel they are worth their price as shooters if not much collecter value, I like'em and will shoot'em... At my age a lil fun is worth more than a lil money anyway...lol...
I do have 5 boxes of Fed. Fac. ammo and 450 of my hand loaded Starline brass cartridges, and 500 pcs new Starline brass...
Have a good one...XPman...
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-24-2012, 08:09 AM
Smee78 Smee78 is offline
Banned
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SC/TX
Posts: 618
Likes: 339
Liked 82 Times in 55 Posts
Default

Torbo,

Thanks for the second look on that sight, I am now on the hunt.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-24-2012, 09:11 AM
coiler666's Avatar
coiler666 coiler666 is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Chicago area
Posts: 187
Likes: 34
Liked 46 Times in 19 Posts
Default

Sure is a slick looking pistol sir....clean as a whistle Thanx fer sharing it!Mike
__________________
45.acp-why shoot twice.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:42 AM
XPman XPman is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southern Tenn.
Posts: 89
Likes: 1
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Default

BTW Torbo-I have now shot a 50 rd. box of Fiocchi 9x21s 123 gr. FMJ @ Adv. 1280 fps Vel. out of mine and you couldn't ask for better function w/both springs... I got them from Cheaper than Dirt, 10 boxes + S&H was +/- $200... It has also shot Std. 9mm 115 gr. Lugers, but functions better with the inner spring removed, I would only use them as cheap range practice rounds...
Have a good one...XPman...
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 05-24-2012, 10:58 AM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smee78 View Post
Torbo,

Thanks for the second look on that sight, I am now on the hunt.
Not a problem! I never really paid much attention to it, as silly as that sounds, until you asked...then I noticed that indeed it is a really nice sight!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:02 AM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coiler666 View Post
Sure is a slick looking pistol sir....clean as a whistle Thanx fer sharing it!Mike
Thank you! I guess I can't bring myself to shoot it yet as its in darn near perfect shape...even though I do have ammo - reloads and Federal Factory, along with defensive rounds. So it sits there looking pretty and I take it out and stare at it a bit, trying to make a decision. It has such a nice weight and balance to it as well. Maybe I should flip a coin!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 05-24-2012, 11:03 AM
torbo torbo is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 13
Likes: 0
Liked 6 Times in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPman View Post
BTW Torbo-I have now shot a 50 rd. box of Fiocchi 9x21s 123 gr. FMJ @ Adv. 1280 fps Vel. out of mine and you couldn't ask for better function w/both springs... I got them from Cheaper than Dirt, 10 boxes + S&H was +/- $200... It has also shot Std. 9mm 115 gr. Lugers, but functions better with the inner spring removed, I would only use them as cheap range practice rounds...
Have a good one...XPman...
One of these days I may look into that on my end, recently I got caught up in some stuff and have been a bit busy. But, thank you for letting me know how it works!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 PM
TrustVerify TrustVerify is offline
Member
S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28 S&W 3566 4 1/4 Inch #28  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Longboat Key, FL
Posts: 8
Likes: 7
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Smith and wesson 3566

I am interested in a 3566.

Regards,

Phil
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
356, fiocchi, micrometer, performance center, s&w, smith & wesson, smith and wesson, starline, winchester

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2 3566 5 inch limited perfomance center semi autos 2900 rds 356 corbon breeze55 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 24 10-02-2017 08:55 AM
WTT S&W PC 3566 Limited for PC 845 missiondude GUNS - For Sale or Trade 3 10-18-2014 02:28 PM
Mod 3566 (356 TSW) at LGS Kevin G Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 7 01-07-2014 08:10 PM
Perf Ctr: (SPF) SDD 356; (Withdrawn) 3566 TSW Limited; (Withdrawn) 3566 TSW Compact wlp624 GUNS - For Sale or Trade 2 02-08-2013 06:00 AM
3566 compact Fastsheriff Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 1 12-06-2011 07:16 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:07 PM.


Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)