Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #51  
Old 08-04-2017, 03:08 PM
ISCS Yoda's Avatar
ISCS Yoda ISCS Yoda is offline
US Veteran
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,923
Likes: 765
Liked 3,505 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default

I'm not 3rd Gen tapped out but my main goals were satisfied in the past year with a blued CS-9 that a nice member of this Forum turned me onto in North Carolina and a 6906 that I obtained a couple of years ago. Mostly I am into revolvers but I do love 3rd Gens so I have just a few; I wish I still had my M457 but it went to a friend in need and I still have my CS-45.

So, seeing all of the remarks above, and the 3rd Gen lovers in this thread, I have an interesting question, namely:

I have a new in the box safe queen 5903 SSV. Picture attached. I bought it new, retail, right before the high-cap gun ban went into effect and it remains unfired. I am not sure if I am ready to sell it which is why I am not putting it on the WTS Forum. But I am curious what the market is for it so if I can do a thread hijack, because I think it will be fun, I'll just ask that question here. With apologies for the thread hijack!!
Attached Thumbnails
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-5903-ssv-002-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #52  
Old 08-05-2017, 12:41 AM
BLUEDOT37's Avatar
BLUEDOT37 BLUEDOT37 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N.E. OKLA.
Posts: 3,399
Likes: 2,668
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Nothing wrong with buying your magazines before the gun. I've done the same... many times!

I don't think anyone would turn down a pre-rail 4513TSW or pre-rail 4553TSW if they stumbled upon one. One or both of them have got to be somewhere on everyone's Want List.
I came across a 4513TSW, many years ago at a gun show, that someone had personalized & polished, which wasn't attractive to me and not long ago a CS45 that had more wear & tear than I thought it's high price warranted. Both only had one mag & I thought those are hard to find mags for. I'm ready now, if one pops up.

.
__________________
I had 2-much 2-dream last nite

Last edited by BLUEDOT37; 08-05-2017 at 12:42 AM. Reason: .
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #53  
Old 08-05-2017, 12:42 AM
nocents's Avatar
nocents nocents is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: s.w.Ohio
Posts: 1,484
Likes: 2,173
Liked 1,798 Times in 840 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post

I don't think anyone would turn down a pre-rail 4513TSW ........... if they stumbled upon one
.....I know someone that did...perfect in box with 3 mags for $650.....it came along at the exact same time that I was seduced by an H&K 45C with 4 mags for the same price.....in the back of my mind I think I knew I would be hesitant to use it because it was as new...and Homie don't do safe queens....but I still feel like a dumbass
__________________
witty signature goes here
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #54  
Old 08-05-2017, 06:50 AM
FUBAR-M1A FUBAR-M1A is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Indiana
Posts: 77
Likes: 0
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Default

4505. A couple of years ago there was one on gunbroker w/ a buy it now of $550 & I passed like an idiot. I knew what it was & that I should have bought it but I kept talking myself out of it. It went to 2 rounds of no bids before someone finally did the BIN. Soooo stupid.

2nd is a WVSP 4566TSW, if they ever switch guns & sell them off.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #55  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:32 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
I have a new in the box safe queen 5903 SSV. Picture attached. I bought it new, retail, right before the high-cap gun ban went into effect and it remains unfired. I am not sure if I am ready to sell it which is why I am not putting it on the WTS Forum. But I am curious what the market is for it so if I can do a thread hijack, because I think it will be fun, I'll just ask that question here. With apologies for the thread hijack!!
For such an uncommon & desirable 3rd Gen that's still brand-new-in-box, I haven't a clue. But if you do ever decide to sell it, be sure that I know about it! Whether I can afford it or not, I'd at least want an opportunity to be in on the bidding.
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:38 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEDOT37 View Post
I came across a 4513TSW, many years ago at a gun show, that someone had personalized & polished, which wasn't attractive to me and not long ago a CS45 that had more wear & tear than I thought it's high price warranted. Both only had one mag & I thought those are hard to find mags for. I'm ready now, if one pops up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocents View Post
.....I know someone that did ...perfect in box with 3 mags for $650 .....it came along at the exact same time that I was seduced by an H&K 45C with 4 mags for the same price.....in the back of my mind I think I knew I would be hesitant to use it because it was as new...and Homie don't do safe queens ....but I still feel like a dumbass
They do pop up from time to time on that large firearms auction website... but the bids soon rise to well above my "no wife pre-approval required" price ceiling. Perfect in box with 3 magazines for $650 sounds quite reasonable to me. I'd beg for permission and then go after a deal like that for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 08-05-2017, 08:41 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by *****-M1A View Post
4505. A couple of years ago there was one on gunbroker w/ a buy it now of $550 & I passed like an idiot. I knew what it was & that I should have bought it but I kept talking myself out of it. It went to 2 rounds of no bids before someone finally did the BIN. Soooo stupid.
He who hesitates generally tends to lose out. I know that result myself all too well.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 08-05-2017, 09:08 AM
Texas40 Texas40 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 591
Likes: 18
Liked 565 Times in 233 Posts
Default TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour

Picked up this 4516-2 recently $475 w/2 mags and unfired in the box. 3/96 production per SW.
Need a couple more mags. Also have a 4046.
I recently discovered these and although not a "collector" I have found there are many very interesting variants of these guns.
So I now keep an out for them when looking. So far this one has 300 down range and all is good.
PS this was just after the range hadnt cleaned her yet.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Texas40; 08-05-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #59  
Old 08-05-2017, 09:15 AM
mauser9 mauser9 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,071
Likes: 2,104
Liked 753 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Still want to add that 9MM Tactical I fired at the S&W range back around 2000. At the time the CS-9 won out.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #60  
Old 08-05-2017, 09:40 AM
nitmr26 nitmr26 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: TX
Posts: 6
Likes: 1
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

I'm actively looking for a 4566TSW. I probably wouldn't pass on a minty 5906 if I happened to come across one at the right price.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #61  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 AM
digiroc's Avatar
digiroc digiroc is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 437
Likes: 215
Liked 791 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
... I wish I still had my M457 but it went to a friend in need and I still have my CS-45.

So, seeing all of the remarks above, and the 3rd Gen lovers in this thread, I have an interesting question, namely:

I have a new in the box safe queen 5903 SSV. Picture attached. I bought it new, retail, right before the high-cap gun ban went into effect and it remains unfired. I am not sure if I am ready to sell it which is why I am not putting it on the WTS Forum. But I am curious what the market is for it so if I can do a thread hijack, because I think it will be fun, I'll just ask that question here. With apologies for the thread hijack!!
I'll take it! 457 or 4516-2 in trade?





digiroc

Last edited by digiroc; 08-06-2017 at 07:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #62  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:37 AM
digiroc's Avatar
digiroc digiroc is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 437
Likes: 215
Liked 791 Times in 265 Posts
Default How about a 5905?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
PC 5906, Melonite finish please...



digiroc
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #63  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:43 AM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 4,487
Likes: 8,472
Liked 4,661 Times in 1,327 Posts
Default

For those still hunting one, there is a pre rail 4513TSW up for sale on the Guns International auction board. Looks to be in good shape, 1 mag, $499.

There also is a 4553TSW listed in the classifieds here. Hope this helps!

As far as duplicates or spares go, I sold every one of mine EXCEPT the pristine 4513TSW back up to my Pre rail 4513TSW EDC. Neither of those guns is going anywhere. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #64  
Old 08-06-2017, 11:15 AM
HOUSTON RICK HOUSTON RICK is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS
Posts: 4,463
Likes: 1,694
Liked 3,550 Times in 1,583 Posts
Default

I buy more revolver's these days, and I am look for more second generation S&W's than third, but my favorite 3rd generation that I do not have would be the nine millimeters from the performance center such as the 5906 and 6906 and related variants.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #65  
Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
For those still hunting one, there is a pre rail 4513TSW up for sale on the Guns International auction board. Looks to be in good shape, 1 mag, $499.

There also is a 4553TSW listed in the classifieds here. Hope this helps!

As far as duplicates or spares go, I sold every one of mine EXCEPT the pristine 4513TSW back up to my Pre rail 4513TSW EDC. Neither of those guns is going anywhere. Regards 18DAI
That pre-rail 4553TSW looks awfully nice, but the asking price is way beyond my means, especially right now. I'm a little confused as to why the magazine appears to be hanging low but could be that it wasn't fully seated for the pix.

The pre-rail 4513TSW appears to be in reasonable enough shape for a carry gun but a bit short of premium grade in my book... which explains the relatively modest price for such a fine, in-demand 3rd Gen. Tempting, but I think I can restrain myself.

In a place like highly-restrictive moonbat Massachusetts, you take what you can find as a handgun collector... and then you upgrade when a better condition gun shows up. That's how I ended up with so many duplicates. Still, I'm not ready to start selling off any of my all-metal guns right now, especially my beloved 3rd Gens.

It will be interesting to see what my beloved 3rd Gen collection will bring locally, assuming I start selling them off before I kick the bucket and don't try to take them with me. Asking prices are up for sure, but I'm not seeing any big rush to snatch up the few that are currently available locally (virtually all duplicates to what I already own). It might be that Internet sales will make the most sense money-wise... not to mention probably faster too.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #66  
Old 08-06-2017, 11:53 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitmr26 View Post
I'm actively looking for a 4566TSW. I probably wouldn't pass on a minty 5906 if I happened to come across one at the right price.
There's a pretty "minty" Model 5906TSW for sale not far from me but the shop sure as heck isn't giving it away. They want more for it than what any have sold for on that large firearms auction site in the last several months.

I'm still fairly interested because it comes with the factory box and a couple 10-round factory magazines (which are getting almost impossible to find anywhere anymore). I just asked the shop about layaway this past week and they were agreeable to it. That might be the tactic that makes it work but the price still ends up above my "no wife pre-approval required" threshold so guess who has the final say on it?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #67  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:05 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,516
Likes: 4,267
Liked 7,916 Times in 3,264 Posts
Default

For whatever reason, sales of "vanilla" versions of the 3rd Gens are a bit sluggish right now. It took me a few months to sell my 3953 and I barely broke even on it. Not that I was looking to make a profit on it, but a few dollars above what I paid for it originally would have helped offset some of the improvements I put into it. (recoil spring, magazine spring, cleaning and lubing)

My 3913 is languishing on a local firearms forum. It will sit there and move eventually as I'm under no pressure to sell it.

My 3rd Gen and other S&W "wish list" is pretty much complete. Model 13-4 3", Model 18, 3913TSW(s), 3953TSW (no rail), Model 36-1 3" are all in the safe (or on my hip).

The ones I noted in a previous post are on the "wish list", but are unlikely to fall out of 3rd Gen heaven.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
That pre-rail 4553TSW looks awfully nice, but the asking price is way beyond my means, especially right now. I'm a little confused as to why the magazine appears to be hanging low but could be that it wasn't fully seated for the pix.

The pre-rail 4513TSW appears to be in reasonable enough shape for a carry gun but a bit short of premium grade in my book... which explains the relatively modest price for such a fine, in-demand 3rd Gen. Tempting, but I think I can restrain myself.

In a place like highly-restrictive moonbat Massachusetts, you take what you can find as a handgun collector... and then you upgrade when a better condition gun shows up. That's how I ended up with so many duplicates. Still, I'm not ready to start selling off any of my all-metal guns right now, especially my beloved 3rd Gens.

It will be interesting to see what my beloved 3rd Gen collection will bring locally, assuming I start selling them off before I kick the bucket and don't try to take them with me. Asking prices are up for sure, but I'm not seeing any big rush to snatch up the few that are currently available locally (virtually all duplicates to what I already own). It might be that Internet sales will make the most sense money-wise... not to mention probably faster too.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #68  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:08 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 4,487
Likes: 8,472
Liked 4,661 Times in 1,327 Posts
Default

Id put the 5906TSW in layaway TTSH. Then point out to the wife that its a 9mm NOT a 40.

Or just break up the payments so they do not exceed the wife notification threshold.

Lifes too short to go without the gun. Especially if you are as advanced in age as you say you are. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #69  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:13 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,516
Likes: 4,267
Liked 7,916 Times in 3,264 Posts
Default

And of course when the wife sees the gun and asks, "Is that a new gun?" you can truthfully say "No, it's old."

It's new to YOU, but that's not what she asked, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
Id put the 5906TSW in layaway TTSH. Then point out to the wife that its a 9mm NOT a 40.

Or just break up the payments so they do not exceed the wife notification threshold.

Lifes too short to go without the gun. Especially if you are as advanced in age as you say you are. Regards 18DAI
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #70  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:28 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
Id put the 5906TSW in layaway TTSH. Then point out to the wife that its a 9mm NOT a 40.

Or just break up the payments so they do not exceed the wife notification threshold.

Life's too short to go without the gun. Especially if you are as advanced in age as you say you are. Regards 18DAI
It's not just how old I am (and yes, I am old!)... but it's how old I've been feeling lately. Work and myriad issues relating to our "under-development" retirement place are truly draining me. I'm no spring chicken any longer... that's for sure!

Believe me when I tell you that I have tried every trick in the book to get the cash outlay down below the "no wife pre-approval required" threshold. I'm getting closer negotiation-wise, but still no dice. And yes, I even thought about making some kind of side deal with the shop so that the gun receipt would show a number that complied with our family rules... but the shop owner wouldn't play.

If it were a .40, I wouldn't even be having this conversation. Those are all out for the foreseeable future, even including the CHP 4006TSW. A deal to obtain one of them may come later, but that's going to take some serious negotiation and trade-offs with the good wife.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #71  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:31 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
And of course when the wife sees the gun and asks, "Is that a new gun?" you can truthfully say "No, it's old."

It's new to YOU, but that's not what she asked, is it?
Yeah, well, it doesn't work that way in the TTSH household. The good wife knows everything. Sometimes, I think she knows more about our collection than I do.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #72  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:39 PM
StickShift's Avatar
StickShift StickShift is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Morristown, NJ
Posts: 204
Likes: 704
Liked 144 Times in 77 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidsix View Post
6926. I have never seen one and would buy the first one I see.
Keep an eye on CDI Sales on Gunbroker. They had a bunch of 5926s and a few 6926s for sale over the past year. They get regular shipments of surplus guns from Israel, so you may get lucky and they'll have a few more.

I want one of the very, very rare 5906TSWs with the integral rail. They match the configuration of the CHP 4006TSWs that are all the rage right now, but they're in a much more likeable caliber. As I understand it, there are no more than 100 floating around, so I'm unlikely to find one.

I'll settle begrudgingly a for CHP .40S&W, but if any of your have one you're getting rid of (and I know a few people here have them), let me know.

A 639 and a 3906 are also on the list, though they're a much lower priority.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #73  
Old 08-06-2017, 12:41 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
For whatever reason, sales of "vanilla" versions of the 3rd Gens are a bit sluggish right now.
It does seem that way here in moonbat Massachusetts. Carl has had some for sale for months now. Same with that other shop down the road (that I've stopped doing business with).

Of course, I have to wonder how much of that is just the fact that you and I aren't buying much these days since our collections are pretty full, already including many duplicates? Sometimes, I think we create our own micro-markets by buying a bit too aggressively.

I think it's also the fact that folks in MA are getting more comfortable with buying from on-line sources as witnessed by the number of shops promoting their low incoming transfer fees.

And let's face it: Asking prices are up. Bargains are rare. Even I would be buying more if prices would moderate... but it hasn't happened yet that I can tell.
Reply With Quote
  #74  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:06 PM
Turn & Bank Turn & Bank is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 53
Likes: 174
Liked 77 Times in 34 Posts
Default

Hey Everyone
So here's my "gotta get" list, it's short as I have a bunch already. I know it's probably the ugly weird step-child to most of you but I've got a strong hank'rin for a 4040PD. Most of what I buy is LNIB or there about's so condition is paramount to price. If you got one I'm listening!!!
Thanks,
T & B
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #75  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:24 PM
Rustyt1953's Avatar
Rustyt1953 Rustyt1953 is offline
US Veteran
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 13,679
Likes: 22,575
Liked 66,043 Times in 11,325 Posts
Default

I only own two 3rd gens, a 6906 and a 4506. But, if I could pick one more, it would be this beauty:

__________________
I'm here all week
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #76  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:34 PM
JR78's Avatar
JR78 JR78 is offline
US Veteran
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: DFW
Posts: 165
Likes: 3
Liked 62 Times in 27 Posts
Default

4596 & 3904
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #77  
Old 08-06-2017, 01:43 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,516
Likes: 4,267
Liked 7,916 Times in 3,264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
It does seem that way here in moonbat Massachusetts. Carl has had some for sale for months now. Same with that other shop down the road (that I've stopped doing business with).
So, when he lists that 4513TSW pre rail, I can just saunter on in?

Quote:
Of course, I have to wonder how much of that is just the fact that you and I aren't buying much these days since our collections are pretty full, already including many duplicates? Sometimes, I think we create our own micro-markets by buying a bit too aggressively.

I think it's also the fact that folks in MA are getting more comfortable with buying from on-line sources as witnessed by the number of shops promoting their low incoming transfer fees.

And let's face it: Asking prices are up. Bargains are rare. Even I would be buying more if prices would moderate... but it hasn't happened yet that I can tell.
It does seem that some shops are getting a bit more comfortable with some hand gun transfers. OTOH, I stopped into a newish shop near me and the owner gave me an "It depends" on whether or not he'd do a 3913 transfer IN state.

I also found out that my niece is working at a new FFL in the general area. I've got to text her to find out when she's working so that I can go out, look at the shop, and meet the owner. I'll feel a bit more comfortable (as he likely will) discussing that.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #78  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:05 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
So, when he lists that 4513TSW pre-rail, I can just saunter on in?
LOL!!! Heck, we all know you will beat me to it. Only question is by how many minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
It does seem that some shops are getting a bit more comfortable with some hand gun transfers. OTOH, I stopped into a newish shop near me and the owner gave me an "It depends" on whether or not he'd do a 3913 transfer IN state.

I also found out that my niece is working at a new FFL in the general area. I've got to text her to find out when she's working so that I can go out, look at the shop, and meet the owner. I'll feel a bit more comfortable (as he likely will) discussing that.
Some shops remain very squeamish (or at least pretend to be so maybe you'll buy something from them instead) and even question guns on the approved roster (due to the AG lady's separate anti-gun rules)... but at this point I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to get in my long-sought-after Model 6946 one way or another.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-06-2017, 04:41 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,516
Likes: 4,267
Liked 7,916 Times in 3,264 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
LOL!!! Heck, we all know you will beat me to it. Only question is by how many minutes?
Not always true. We're even, I think. You got the 3953 and I got the 3913TSW. Welllll, sort of even.

Quote:
Some shops remain very squeamish (or at least pretend to be so maybe you'll buy something from them instead) and even question guns on the approved roster (due to the AG lady's separate anti-gun rules)... but at this point I'm pretty sure that I'd be able to get in my long-sought-after Model 6946 one way or another.
I don't doubt it. There is a lot of paranoia over transfers. Some of that is justified. At least some of it.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #80  
Old 08-06-2017, 07:32 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Welllll, sort of even.
Oh yeah... right! Tell me another funny story!
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 08-07-2017, 01:09 AM
BLUEDOT37's Avatar
BLUEDOT37 BLUEDOT37 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N.E. OKLA.
Posts: 3,399
Likes: 2,668
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
For those still hunting one, there is a pre rail 4513TSW up for sale on the Guns International auction board. Looks to be in good shape, 1 mag, $499.

There also is a 4553TSW listed in the classifieds here. Hope this helps!
Thanks for the heads-up. Trying to restrict myself to local sales only is the best way I can try to keep things in-check. Otherwise I'd need to buy another safe.

.
__________________
I had 2-much 2-dream last nite
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #82  
Old 08-07-2017, 02:49 AM
TercGen TercGen is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 682
Likes: 2,115
Liked 625 Times in 368 Posts
Default

I'd still probably go for a decent 4506-1, with the intention of using it for 45 Super. I would also pick up another 4566TSW for this conversion, if the price was right.

Wouldn't mind a 3913NL either, though I certainly have enough 39xx guns in the collection. A NIB 3953TSW for conversion to TDA would be nice (though they seem to have dried up). I have also toyed with the idea of getting a 4516-1 or -2 and finding a 4566 slide to put on top...


Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
On the other hand, we'd be in a race-to-the-death to get to that pre-rail 4513TSW. That is probably the only remaining 3rd Gen over $500 that I would race to buy even without the good wife's pre-approval.
While I haven't priced them lately, a few years back most 4513TSW pre-rails I saw online were going for right around $500, maybe closer to $525. I got mine for just under $500, though it has some fairly significant surface wear in spots.

Last edited by TercGen; 08-07-2017 at 02:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #83  
Old 08-07-2017, 03:23 AM
BLUEDOT37's Avatar
BLUEDOT37 BLUEDOT37 is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: N.E. OKLA.
Posts: 3,399
Likes: 2,668
Liked 2,925 Times in 1,340 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TercGen View Post
I'd still probably go for a decent 4506-1, with the intention of using it for 45 Super. I would also pick up another 4566TSW for this conversion, if the price was right.
LOL, that's why I bought my 4586 ...pending a nice 4566.

.

M4586

(-01b)

.
__________________
I had 2-much 2-dream last nite
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #84  
Old 08-07-2017, 04:03 AM
digiroc's Avatar
digiroc digiroc is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 437
Likes: 215
Liked 791 Times in 265 Posts
Default Ugly ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn & Bank View Post
... I know it's probably the ugly weird step-child to most of you but I've got a strong hank'rin for a 4040PD. Most of what I buy is LNIB or there about's so condition is paramount to price. If you got one I'm listening!!!
Thanks,
T & B


I love my 4040PD and think it's a beautiful example of 3G guns. The Scandium frame earns it the AirLite title.

The angled dust cover like the 39xx LS & NL gives it a touch of class.

digiroc
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #85  
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 7,410
Likes: 155
Liked 8,175 Times in 3,916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post


I love my 4040PD and think it's a beautiful example of 3G guns. The Scandium frame earns it the AirLite title.

The angled dust cover like the 39xx LS & NL gives it a touch of class.

digiroc
LOL if it just didn't have the "Billboard" and wasn't a .40...... it would be on my short list!!!!!!

Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #86  
Old 08-07-2017, 10:10 AM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,516
Likes: 4,267
Liked 7,916 Times in 3,264 Posts
Default

My exact thought. I have to wonder if S&W pushed .40S&W so hard because it was their "baby"?

It seems to have been a long lasting fad, which only now is subsiding. Some departments are moving to either .45 or 9mm and dropping .40.

Besides when was the last time any gun forum had a good 45 vs 40 or 49 vs 9 debate?

That aside, the 4040PD is a beautiful gun. If only it were available in either .45 or 9mm.

Maybe that's the dream 4th Gen gun that Smith should make.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
LOL if it just didn't have the "Billboard" and wasn't a .40...... it would be on my short list!!!!!!

__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #87  
Old 08-07-2017, 10:30 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post
I love my 4040PD and think it's a beautiful example of 3G guns. The Scandium frame earns it the AirLite title. The angled dust cover like the 39xx LS & NL gives it a touch of class.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
LOL if it just didn't have the "Billboard" and wasn't a .40...... it would be on my short list!!!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
My exact thought. I have to wonder if S&W pushed .40S&W so hard because it was their "baby"?

It seems to have been a long lasting fad, which only now is subsiding. Some departments are moving to either .45 or 9mm and dropping .40.

Besides when was the last time any gun forum had a good 45 vs 40 or 49 vs 9 debate?

That aside, the 4040PD is a beautiful gun. If only it were available in either .45 or 9mm.

Maybe that's the dream 4th Gen gun that Smith should make.
Nothing wrong with the Model 4040PD in my book. My only regret is that I didn't snag one for cheap when I had an opportunity to do so. But at the time, I was all about "bright-finished" 3rd Gens and had zero interest in the black ones. By the time I wised up, that 4040PD was long gone.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 08-07-2017, 10:38 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Western Pa.
Posts: 7,410
Likes: 155
Liked 8,175 Times in 3,916 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Nothing wrong with the Model 4040PD in my book. My only regret is that I didn't snag one for cheap when I had an opportunity to do so. But at the time, I was all about "bright-finished" 3rd Gens and had zero interest in the black ones. By the time I wised up, that 4040PD was long gone.
Seem to recall seeing one when they first came out...... and getting all excited until I saw the billboard..... which I might have lived with ...... but then saw it was a .40.

For me kind of up there with the 7shot .357 mountain gun........

My only .40 is a used Sig 229 that came with both a .40 and .357 Sig barrels.
My just in case there's no 9mm or .45 or .38 or .357 or .380 or .32 or....... on the store shelves .... gun.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 08-07-2017 at 11:48 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #89  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:04 AM
nocents's Avatar
nocents nocents is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: s.w.Ohio
Posts: 1,484
Likes: 2,173
Liked 1,798 Times in 840 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post


Maybe that's the dream 4th Gen gun that Smith should make.
Bingo!!...a Scandium frame 4545 PD TDA.. 4th Gen. with single side spring loaded decocker....Thread drift I know...but I'd buy one..maybe 2
__________________
witty signature goes here
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #90  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:19 AM
petepeterson's Avatar
petepeterson petepeterson is online now
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 2,009
Likes: 3,716
Liked 2,555 Times in 1,133 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocents View Post
Bingo!!...a Scandium frame 4545 PD TDA.. 4th Gen. with single side spring loaded decocker....Thread drift I know...but I'd buy one..maybe 2
I admire your enthusiasm, optimism, and firm grasp of the numbering system.
__________________
Because of the metric system?
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #91  
Old 08-07-2017, 11:21 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
Seem to recall seeing one when they first came out...... and getting all excited until I saw the billboard..... which I might have lived with ...... but then saw it was a .40.
Well, the one I found was long before the good wife imposed/requested that I stop buying .40's (don't worry - I've got plenty!)... and the billboard silliness didn't enter into my decision at all. It really was all about the gun's black finish.

Now I know that it was a big mistake to walk away from one of my best potential deals ever... but such is life. Wasn't the first time I blew it and won't be the last.
Reply With Quote
  #92  
Old 08-07-2017, 04:22 PM
ISCS Yoda's Avatar
ISCS Yoda ISCS Yoda is offline
US Veteran
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 3,923
Likes: 765
Liked 3,505 Times in 1,609 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
For such an uncommon & desirable 3rd Gen that's still brand-new-in-box, I haven't a clue. But if you do ever decide to sell it, be sure that I know about it! Whether I can afford it or not, I'd at least want an opportunity to be in on the bidding.
It is extremely unlikely that I would ever sell that 5903 SSV to anyone NOT on this Forum. That would be churlish and unfair as far as I am concerned. I have found all of my grail guns but one on this Forum so the least I can do is reciprocate when the time comes.

One Forum member, in a discussion some time ago, offered me $1,000 but, as noted, I am still not prepared to part with it.

For fun I will post the pictures of my other 3rd Gens. I only have these three besides the SSV - these three get shot and carried. The only reason I am not carrying a K frame snubbie as often as I used to is because I acquired the CS-9 for EDC and the 6906 for social situations where I think high capacity is useful. I used to carry the CS-45 at such times, actually.
Attached Thumbnails
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-cs-9-left-side-jpg   TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-cs-9-right-side-jpg   TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-6906-jpg   TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-cs-45-001-jpg   TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour-cs-45-002-jpg  

Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #93  
Old 08-07-2017, 07:41 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISCS Yoda View Post
It is extremely unlikely that I would ever sell that 5903 SSV to anyone NOT on this Forum. That would be churlish and unfair as far as I am concerned. I have found all of my grail guns but one on this Forum so the least I can do is reciprocate when the time comes.

One Forum member, in a discussion some time ago, offered me $1,000 but, as noted, I am still not prepared to part with it.
If only I had not been in my 25-year deep sleep during the glory days of 3rd Gen production. That could have been me with one or more fine, unfired, brand-new-in-box specimens to enjoy.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #94  
Old 08-07-2017, 09:08 PM
dirtbikerdude2005 dirtbikerdude2005 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tallahassee, FL
Posts: 24
Likes: 1
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn & Bank View Post
Hey Everyone
So here's my "gotta get" list, it's short as I have a bunch already. I know it's probably the ugly weird step-child to most of you but I've got a strong hank'rin for a 4040PD. Most of what I buy is LNIB or there about's so condition is paramount to price. If you got one I'm listening!!!
Thanks,
T & B


I know of a pawn shop right now locally that has a 4040pd for $700.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #95  
Old 08-09-2017, 11:49 PM
caryj1s caryj1s is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Mar 2017
Posts: 2
Likes: 2
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Default

PC 5906. I have 12 3rd gens, from the 5906 I bought new in 1989... to my second 4563 CQB i picked up a couple of months ago. I bought both CQB's while looking for a 4" 5906 PC. It has been my grail gun for a very long time. But every time I run across a reasonably priced 3rd Gen with "that bushing" I find it hard to resist.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #96  
Old 08-10-2017, 07:44 AM
digiroc's Avatar
digiroc digiroc is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 437
Likes: 215
Liked 791 Times in 265 Posts
Default

My 4040PD is a favorite and it's the only "billboarded" Smith that I care for. The "Tactical" and others are too flashy and are overdone in my opinion.

While the .40 seems to be much maligned now a days I still prefer it to a 9mm in a defensive situation. Bigger and faster is better in my opinion so the .40 accomplishes that.

I'm not very recoil sensitive so I'll accept the bigger bark and bite of the .40 in a carry gun. In fact I consider the 10mm as the optimum caliber to carry if the SHF.

I just wish my 547 was chambered in 10mm, more bang for the buck.

digiroc

Last edited by digiroc; 08-10-2017 at 07:46 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #97  
Old 08-10-2017, 08:22 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post
While the .40 seems to be much maligned now a days, I still prefer it to a 9mm in a defensive situation. Bigger and faster is better in my opinion so the .40 accomplishes that.
No argument here. While I only carry super-lightweight, super-compact 9mm's and .380's these days, I have long said that if I ever knew for certain that I was headed into trouble, I'd wish I had my CS40 with me... or any other compact .40 (or .45) for that matter. But one sometimes makes compromises for convenience, practicality and/or comfort.

But collection-wise, the good wife requested and I have agreed: No more .40's for the foreseeable future. It's an investment thing... goes along with no more cheap plastic wonders either.
Reply With Quote
  #98  
Old 08-11-2017, 09:29 AM
digiroc's Avatar
digiroc digiroc is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 437
Likes: 215
Liked 791 Times in 265 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
... no more cheap plastic wonders either.
Never have and never will own or carry a plastic gun. Any gun I carry will be all metal and that includes the bits and pieces that are "featured" on the value line Smiths.

digiroc

Last edited by digiroc; 08-11-2017 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #99  
Old 08-11-2017, 10:44 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by digiroc View Post
Never have and never will own or carry a plastic gun. Any gun I carry will be all metal and that includes the bits and pieces that are "featured" on the value line Smiths.
It's funny. I couldn't sleep last night due to an unfortunate combination of many factors... so I laid in bed for a while thinking, among other things, about how few handgun manufacturers are left who aren't betting the farm on cheap plastic. Very depressing, really, when you actually pause and think about it. Outside of the 1911 specialist folks, it's practically nil.

Poor old TTSH is very old and getting older every day. His "day" has clearly come and gone. My time left is short. It's a rapidly changing world and here I am collecting old, used things because the new things mostly suck... well, at least in my mind they do.

While there are still a few semi-affordable 3rd Gens models still out there for me to collect, where I go after that is not clear to me. I've got a few Sigs, Berettas and CZ's but I'm not going to try to make any of those brands my main priority. Hi-Powers are still way too expensive for an old man living on Social Security. So where to turn for the three remaining "good years" I've got left?

Maybe to "bird watching" like my good wife wants me to do?
Reply With Quote
  #100  
Old 08-11-2017, 01:35 PM
Iggy's Avatar
Iggy Iggy is online now
Member
TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour TTSH's 3rd Gen Question Du Jour  
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 9,121
Likes: 4,130
Liked 16,646 Times in 3,639 Posts
Default

Watch her and drive her nuts.. LOL!
__________________
Eccentric old coot.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My 3rd Gen Question Du Jour... TTSH Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 19 11-14-2014 08:19 PM
What"s the Rant De Jour??? Rule3 The Lounge 35 10-21-2009 03:57 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:15 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)