Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:18 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default model 59

Couldn't resist adding this unfired nickel 59 with all original goodies to the collection. Too dang pretty to shoot

Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:22 PM
jimbo728's Avatar
jimbo728 jimbo728 is online now
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 1,412
Likes: 2,449
Liked 935 Times in 526 Posts
Default

That is one great find.
Jim
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #3  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:43 PM
stansdds stansdds is offline
Member
model 59  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20
Likes: 11
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Default

NIB nickel plated model 59... that's a nice piece for a collection!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 08-12-2017, 04:48 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Man, that would look awfully sweet in my collection!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:21 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Too high capacity for Ma I was born and raised in Ma, but moved away years ago. Out of control now with gun laws. My brother is still there and the list of guns he can't buy because they are illegal in Ma. is crazy. And S&W is only a town or two away from where I grew up !
I've become good friends with my lgs owner over the years and he holds guns he thinks I'd like then gives me a fair price. What do you think a 59 like this goes for these days ?
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Man, that would look awfully sweet in my collection!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #6  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:46 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
Too high capacity for Ma I was born and raised in Ma, but moved away years ago. Out of control now with gun laws. My brother is still there and the list of guns he can't buy because they are illegal in Ma. is crazy. And S&W is only a town or two away from where I grew up !
I've become good friends with my lgs owner over the years and he holds guns he thinks I'd like then gives me a fair price. What do you think a 59 like this goes for these days ?
Thanks!
Not too high in terms of magazine capacity since I'm sure it came with original "pre-ban" magazines... ... but seeing as how the original Model 59 is not on the MA approved roster, that would pose a challenge for sure.

All I can tell you is the I've got a blued late-production Model 59 still unfired in its original factory box with everything. I'm told it's worth $599 to $699 in terms of a local sale but I'll never sell it so it's a moot point. The nickel finish would likely add another $100 or so to the value of a blued 59.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 08-12-2017, 08:48 PM
StakeOut's Avatar
StakeOut StakeOut is online now
US Veteran
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: NW of Austin Texas
Posts: 1,508
Likes: 656
Liked 2,210 Times in 773 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
Too high capacity for Ma
What do you think a 59 like this goes for these days ?
Thanks!
A little more than a year ago I bought a blued NIB Model 59 with the 2 original 14rd magazines,sealed tool kit and papers for $550 from an area rancher.

I also bought 6 NIB Model 39-2(3 blue,3 nickle) early last year.

These were all used in trades.I no longer have any of them.
__________________
NEVER GIVE UP YOUR GUN
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

14 round mags - aren't mags over 10 round taboo in Ma.? Got her for $499 so think I did ok. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Not too high in terms of magazine capacity since I'm sure it came with original "pre-ban" magazines... ... but seeing as how the original Model 59 is not on the MA approved roster, that would pose a challenge for sure.

All I can tell you is the I've got a blued late-production Model 59 still unfired in its original factory box with everything. I'm told it's worth $599 to $699 in terms of a local sale but I'll never sell it so it's a moot point. The nickel finish would likely add another $100 or so to the value of a blued 59.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 08-12-2017, 09:37 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Nice - I never sell anything or trade - probably why my wife keeps asking what she's going to do with all of my toys after I'm gone. I asked if she knows something I don't - lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StakeOut View Post
A little more than a year ago I bought a blued NIB Model 59 with the 2 original 14rd magazines,sealed tool kit and papers for $550 from an area rancher.

I also bought 6 NIB Model 39-2(3 blue,3 nickle) early last year.

These were all used in trades.I no longer have any of them.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 08-13-2017, 08:25 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzans View Post
14 round mags - aren't mags over 10 round taboo in Ma.? Got her for $499 so think I did ok. Thanks!
Yes, I think you did okay for sure. The only Model 59 for sale near me right now is blue and listed at $599... a used gun, but I'm assuming it's in pretty decent condition at that price.

Our MA AWB law, essentially a continuation of the 1994-2004 Federal AWB, allows us to own hi-cap magazines if they were made before the start of the 1994 Federal AWB... so original Model 59 magazines easily qualify. So do all original S&W 2nd Gen magazines and S&W 3rd Gen magazines manufactured up until September 13, 1994.

So for newer hi-cap plastic wonder guns, other than Glocks and S&W Sigma derivatives, we are mostly out of luck... but that still allows us to own hi-caps (if "pre-ban") for guns like the Sig P226, Sig P229, Browning Hi-Power, Beretta 92SF, CZ 75B, etc. in addition to the S&W 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen semi-autos.

I've even been able to obtain several old "pre-ban" Para Ordnance P14 magazines for my new RI 1911A2.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-13-2017, 10:40 AM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Got it, that makes sense. I did not know there was a "pre-ban" stipulation. Good to know. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Yes, I think you did okay for sure. The only Model 59 for sale near me right now is blue and listed at $599... a used gun, but I'm assuming it's in pretty decent condition at that price.

Our MA AWB law, essentially a continuation of the 1994-2004 Federal AWB, allows us to own hi-cap magazines if they were made before the start of the 1994 Federal AWB... so original Model 59 magazines easily qualify. So do all original S&W 2nd Gen magazines and S&W 3rd Gen magazines manufactured up until September 13, 1994.

So for newer hi-cap plastic wonder guns, other than Glocks and S&W Sigma derivatives, we are mostly out of luck... but that still allows us to own hi-caps (if "pre-ban") for guns like the Sig P226, Sig P229, Browning Hi-Power, Beretta 92SF, CZ 75B, etc. in addition to the S&W 1st, 2nd and 3rd Gen semi-autos.

I've even been able to obtain several old "pre-ban" Para Ordnance P14 magazines for my new RI 1911A2.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:20 AM
mauser9 mauser9 is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,071
Likes: 2,104
Liked 753 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Not too high in terms of magazine capacity since I'm sure it came with original "pre-ban" magazines... ... but seeing as how the original Model 59 is not on the MA approved roster, that would pose a challenge for sure.

All I can tell you is the I've got a blued late-production Model 59 still unfired in its original factory box with everything. I'm told it's worth $599 to $699 in terms of a local sale but I'll never sell it so it's a moot point. The nickel finish would likely add another $100 or so to the value of a blued 59.
Another I let get away from the late 70s TTSH. Had the blued version myself and believe I paid $160-170 new back then. Man now worth $599 at least!! Sometimes we take availability for granted when they make these models. Tough lesson learned.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #13  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:33 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser9 View Post
Another I let get away from the late 70s TTSH. Had the blued version myself and believe I paid $160-170 new back then. Man now worth $599 at least!! Sometimes we take availability for granted when they make these models. Tough lesson learned.
The funny thing is that you look back at it now, 40+ years later, and you can see so very clearly all that you should have bought back then when you had the chance.

Some of my "old collection" guns (pre-divorce and 25-yr big sleep) have gone up in value like a rocket while some have just kept up with inflation and not a whole lot more. Two 70's clunkers have gone down in value relative to inflation but I never had any expectations that they were headed for value appreciation glory.

If only I had bought a whole bunch of Colt Pythons! Oh well... too late now.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 08-13-2017, 12:03 PM
mauser9 mauser9 is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,071
Likes: 2,104
Liked 753 Times in 479 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
The funny thing is that you look back at it now, 40+ years later, and you can see so very clearly all that you should have bought back then when you had the chance.

Some of my "old collection" guns (pre-divorce and 25-yr big sleep) have gone up in value like a rocket while some have just kept up with inflation and not a whole lot more. Two 70's clunkers have gone down in value relative to inflation but I never had any expectations that they were headed for value appreciation glory.

If only I had bought a whole bunch of Colt Pythons! Oh well... too late now.
Definitely!! A crystal ball sure would have helped. A nice Python and that Marlin made 1894 in 44 mag I should have grabbed in the 70s. Those are a couple that are going for some decent dollars these days.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #15  
Old 08-13-2017, 01:50 PM
tjtoolbox's Avatar
tjtoolbox tjtoolbox is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rochester Ma.
Posts: 413
Likes: 64
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Default Model 59

Just checked the Ma Approved Hi Cap roster an the M 59 is on the approved list . TTSH is the roster wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Not too high in terms of magazine capacity since I'm sure it came with original "pre-ban" magazines... ... but seeing as how the original Model 59 is not on the MA approved roster, that would pose a challenge for sure.

All I can tell you is the I've got a blued late-production Model 59 still unfired in its original factory box with everything. I'm told it's worth $599 to $699 in terms of a local sale but I'll never sell it so it's a moot point. The nickel finish would likely add another $100 or so to the value of a blued 59.
__________________
Be Safe & Shoot Straight
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #16  
Old 08-13-2017, 03:01 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtoolbox View Post
Just checked the Ma Approved Hi Cap roster an the M 59 is on the approved list . TTSH is the roster wrong?
What you are looking at here is essentially meaningless in terms of what we are allowed to buy from dealers. It is only relevant in regard to the type of firearms license you hold.

This is the document that matters most in terms of what we are allowed to buy from dealers. Secondarily, the gun in question must also be approved by our anti-2A MA AG lady who gets a second bite at the apple under her "consumer protection" rules. As a practical matter, that means no post-ban Glocks (even though they appear on the MA Approved Roster) except for cops.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:06 PM
tjtoolbox's Avatar
tjtoolbox tjtoolbox is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Rochester Ma.
Posts: 413
Likes: 64
Liked 106 Times in 40 Posts
Default Model 59

I own a Model 5904 High Cap Pistol, bough from a local dealer, my under standering is that it is not the pistol but the mag capacity. Is this true?
I also have pre ban mags that go with my pre 1994 gun . I believe I am in compliance with the Law of Ma.



Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
What you are looking at here is essentially meaningless in terms of what we are allowed to buy from dealers. It is only relevant in regard to the type of firearms license you hold.

This is the document that matters most in terms of what we are allowed to buy from dealers. Secondarily, the gun in question must also be approved by our anti-2A MA AG lady who gets a second bite at the apple under her "consumer protection" rules. As a practical matter, that means no post-ban Glocks (even though they appear on the MA Approved Roster) except for cops.
__________________
Be Safe & Shoot Straight
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-13-2017, 04:23 PM
S&W Fan S&W Fan is online now
Member
model 59  
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Colorado
Posts: 2,372
Likes: 1,648
Liked 3,510 Times in 911 Posts
Default

Very nice. In 1979 I bought a blue 59 new, had to have one of those hi-capacity "wonder nines" LOL. It was a fun fun pistol even though it felt like a 2x4 in my hand. Unfortunately lost it in a burglary when I was on a short out of town trip, back before I was smart enough to have a real safe. Sigh, I'm sure it ended up in Mexico, Tucson being so close. Every time I think about picking up one I stumble across a revolver I want more haha.

Enjoy, that is a beauty.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:10 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,671
Likes: 8,588
Liked 4,484 Times in 2,310 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtoolbox View Post
I own a Model 5904 High Cap Pistol, bought from a local dealer, my understanding is that it is not the pistol but the mag capacity. Is this true?
I also have pre-ban mags that go with my pre-1994 gun. I believe I am in compliance with the Law of Ma.
Well, three points: 1) The approved roster tells us what dealers can sell to us, not what we can possess nor what a private party can sell F-T-F. 2) The magazine capacity limit is a limit on magazine capacity, not on firearm capacity. 3) You can only possess hi-capacity magazines *or* hi-capacity firearms on a hi-capacity (LTC-A) license. If you have an LTC-A license and any hi-capacity magazines you own are pre-bans, you should be legal.

Further note that dealers can re-sell older guns that pre-dated the Approved Roster provided they have a documented Ma pedigree.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 08-13-2017, 05:27 PM
FloridaFlier FloridaFlier is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Naples, Florida
Posts: 306
Likes: 138
Liked 178 Times in 79 Posts
Default

Because I am a reloader, I have evolved to an all-revolver owner/shooter; my cases get used and reused by me. Although recently I have to admit that you can (at least today) buy 9mm almost as cheap as you can reload it.

But, if I were to ever return to the bottom-feeder side, the 39 and 59 models would cause me to pursue guns like this beautiful 59: and in nickel no less! Geez, some guys have all the luck. An absolute beauty! Now shoot it. It was born to throw lead downrange!!
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 PM
SPEEDGUNNER's Avatar
SPEEDGUNNER SPEEDGUNNER is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Between the Brandywines
Posts: 1,583
Likes: 289
Liked 1,025 Times in 420 Posts
Default

Question: Are the mags nickeled or blued?

Beautiful pistol. Too pretty to shoot for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 08-14-2017, 08:52 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

Blued. I was kinda bummed they weren't nickeled!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDGUNNER View Post
Question: Are the mags nickeled or blued?

Beautiful pistol. Too pretty to shoot for sure!
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 08-14-2017, 08:54 PM
cruzans cruzans is offline
Member
model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59 model 59  
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: PA
Posts: 17
Likes: 8
Liked 41 Times in 8 Posts
Default

I've been debating shooting it. Never fired, pristine. Half the guys at the shop were "don't shoot that thing" the other half "let 'er rip" - lol. I'll see, I have too many guns before this that I still need to get to the range with ! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaFlier View Post
Because I am a reloader, I have evolved to an all-revolver owner/shooter; my cases get used and reused by me. Although recently I have to admit that you can (at least today) buy 9mm almost as cheap as you can reload it.

But, if I were to ever return to the bottom-feeder side, the 39 and 59 models would cause me to pursue guns like this beautiful 59: and in nickel no less! Geez, some guys have all the luck. An absolute beauty! Now shoot it. It was born to throw lead downrange!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tulsa Gunshow this Saturday: Model 63, Model 60, Model 351PD, Model 500 retiredsquid GUNS - For Sale or Trade 1 04-08-2010 04:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:21 AM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)