Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-13-2017, 06:55 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default Pristine

A LGS I've done business with has just put a 457, with three magazines and factory box, on it's web site.

Asking price is $499.99.

That gun must be pristine for that price. Or, the owner reads this site and knows that these are in demand.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 09-13-2017, 07:54 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 4,520
Likes: 8,718
Liked 4,786 Times in 1,354 Posts
Default

Maybe a little high. I paid a little more for mine, LNIB, but I wanted one with forged parts and roll marks.

Take a look at some of the new guns out there with higher asking prices.

I'll take a $499 model 457 over any of those. Good luck with your decision! Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 09-14-2017, 06:49 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
That gun must be pristine for that price. Or, the owner reads this site and knows that these are in demand.
It could just be another inflated-priced consignment gun like the Model 4506-1 that Carl has... ... or it could be a flawless, ANIB specimen worth every cent.

Only one way to find out. When are you going?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #4  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:37 AM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

I'll only go if I have a specific reason to be up on that area. Which probably won't be until next week at the earliest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
It could just be another inflated-priced consignment gun like the Model 4506-1 that Carl has... ... or it could be a flawless, ANIB specimen worth every cent.

Only one way to find out. When are you going?
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 09-14-2017, 09:47 AM
mauser9 mauser9 is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 2,213
Liked 784 Times in 501 Posts
Default

If pristine I would go for it. Might take a bit less. Tough to find any Third Gen around me.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:24 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I'll only go if I have a specific reason to be up on that area. Which probably won't be until next week at the earliest.
Sounds like some intentional procrastination to me. That's what I do when I really don't have the available cash to spend. I don't think it will disappear overnight like that inexpensive Model 6904 did. I knew that gun at that price wasn't going to last!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mauser9 View Post
If pristine I would go for it. Might take a bit less. Tough to find any Third Gen around me.
At least the Models 457 & 457S are on the MA approved roster, so you can go to the Interwebs if you really want one bad enough and can't find one locally. Bargains are few on truly ANIB specimens... and shipping & transfers add cost... but sometimes it's worth it rather than waiting forever for a nice one to pop up at your local shop.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #7  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:46 AM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

As you know, it would be a duplicate, or maybe an "upgrade" to a SS version. As a result, I'm not in any rush to buy one, especially at that price.

Gun show season is starting, so plenty of chances to look at really high priced 3rd Gens!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Sounds like some intentional procrastination to me. That's what I do when I really don't have the available cash to spend. I don't think it will disappear overnight like that inexpensive Model 6904 did. I knew that gun at that price wasn't going to last!


At least the Models 457 & 457S are on the MA approved roster, so you can go to the Interwebs if you really want one bad enough and can't find one locally. Bargains are few on truly ANIB specimens... and shipping & transfers add cost... but sometimes it's worth it rather than waiting forever for a nice one to pop up at your local shop.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #8  
Old 09-14-2017, 10:56 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
As you know, it would be a duplicate, or maybe an "upgrade" to a SS version. As a result, I'm not in any rush to buy one, especially at that price.

Gun show season is starting, so plenty of chances to look at really high priced 3rd Gens!
You have a black one now, right? Did you ever get a stainless one? Or are you still looking? I remember you had me take it off my "GaryS Watch List" after that Armslist one out in Southbridge didn't interest you.

Either way, that one Carl has is a lot of money even despite the box and three magazines. But look what they are going for on GB? Carl's price isn't that far off. And if it is a later one in top shape (ANIB?), it's going to sell at that price sooner or later.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:51 AM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

Yes, I have a black one now, but not a stainless one. I'm looking, but not very hard. Which means that it would have to be at a very good price for me to add it to the family.

I took a quick look at GB last night. I looked at what was for sale, but didn't look to see what they've actually been selling for recently.

I'd say that the gun that Carl has is top of the market, especially if it's not ANIB and stainless. But, as we know, I've been wrong before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
You have a black one now, right? Did you ever get a stainless one? Or are you still looking? I remember you had me take it off my "GaryS Watch List" after that Armslist one out in Southbridge didn't interest you.

Either way, that one Carl has is a lot of money even despite the box and three magazines. But look what they are going for on GB? Carl's price isn't that far off. And if it is a later one in top shape (ANIB?), it's going to sell at that price sooner or later.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:09 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Yes, I have a black one now, but not a stainless one. I'm looking, but not very hard. Which means that it would have to be at a very good price for me to add it to the family.

I took a quick look at GB last night. I looked at what was for sale, but didn't look to see what they've actually been selling for recently.

I'd say that the gun that Carl has is top of the market, especially if it's not ANIB and stainless. But, as we know, I've been wrong before.
Well, let us know if you head up there. I'm a little curious myself regarding why the high price. I'm dead broke so you need not worry about me snatching it away. You know I am not a black/blued 3rd Gen guy so much anyway... although the super-pristine ones in box do occasionally get to me.

I, too, am waiting for the Marlboro show on the 23rd & 24th to see what fall has brought us, if anything, in the way of interesting bargains on all-metal handguns. The good wife will be out of town so I'll be limited by our "no wife pre-approval required" limit on spending... which is probably a good thing.

Today, I'm headed back to Gartman Arms to check out a Model 25-Something revolver that I spotted in there yesterday while on another mission. Seems there are some good ones and some very bad ones according to the forum. I'm sort of interested because the price tag was awfully dang low. If it is a true bargain on one of the good versions, I hope they do layaway!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:17 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

I may have to put magazines on the top of my list for Marlboro.

I haven't been to Gartman since early after the reopened. I was with a friend who was looking for a S&W Bodyguard. A guy who worked there, who shall remain nameless, was telling another customer that they weren't going to carry S&W because "They are all junk put together by illegal aliens.", and that Colts were much better. Rather off putting. I don't know if he's still working there. There prices were also pretty high, as I recall.

I'm not all that far away, so if they have any decent used guns, I can add it to my list of possible shops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Well, let us know if you head up there. I'm a little curious myself regarding why the high price. I'm dead broke so you need not worry about me snatching it away. You know I am not a black/blued 3rd Gen guy so much anyway... although the super-pristine ones in box do occasionally get to me.

I, too, am waiting for the Marlboro show on the 23rd & 24th to see what fall has brought us, if anything, in the way of interesting bargains on all-metal handguns. The good wife will be out of town so I'll be limited by our "no wife pre-approval required" limit on spending... which is probably a good thing.

Today, I'm headed back to Gartman Arms to check out a Model 25-Something revolver that I spotted in there yesterday while on another mission. Seems there are some good ones and some very bad ones according to the forum. I'm sort of interested because the price tag was awfully dang low. If it is a true bargain on one of the good versions, I hope they do layaway!
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 09-14-2017, 12:27 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
I may have to put magazines on the top of my list for Marlboro.

I haven't been to Gartman since early after the reopened. I was with a friend who was looking for a S&W Bodyguard. A guy who worked there, who shall remain nameless, was telling another customer that they weren't going to carry S&W because "They are all junk put together by illegal aliens.", and that Colts were much better. Rather off putting. I don't know if he's still working there. There prices were also pretty high, as I recall.

I'm not all that far away, so if they have any decent used guns, I can add it to my list of possible shops.
They have generally been very expensive in the 3rd Gen realm... and they don't have a list of used guns for sale on the Web, so it's only rarely that I stop in there these days unless something interesting pops up on their FacePlant page.

And don't even ask what they want (or at least wanted) for their pre-ban 5900-series magazines!

Last edited by TTSH; 09-14-2017 at 04:07 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-14-2017, 08:35 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

I'm at a bit of a loss to understand why gun shops don't list their guns on their web sites. For the most part the shops aren't very close, so it can be a day long project to visit a number of them just to look into the display case for interesting used guns.

Even more annoying are the sites that have a perpetually "Under construction" page that never seems to get finished.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
They have generally been very expensive in the 3rd Gen realm... and they don't have a list of used guns for sale on the Web, so it's only rarely that I stop in there these days unless something interesting pops up on their FacePlant page.

And don't even ask what they want (or at least wanted) for their pre-ban 5900-series magazines!
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #14  
Old 09-14-2017, 11:39 PM
mauser9 mauser9 is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,110
Likes: 2,213
Liked 784 Times in 501 Posts
Default

Hmmm enjoyable thread! Makes me wonder if our Third Gens will keep climbing in price or have they reached a peak? Guess it all depends on demand and collector interest. Still wish I had a crystal ball.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #15  
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 AM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Today, I'm headed back to Gartman Arms to check out a Model 25-Something revolver that I spotted in there yesterday while on another mission. Seems there are some good ones and some very bad ones according to the forum. I'm sort of interested because the price tag was awfully dang low. If it is a true bargain on one of the good versions, I hope they do layaway!
Just for the record in case anyone else was thinking of rushing down there... the Model 25 revolver they have is no bargain after all. Simply a poorly written, easily misread price tag. Like all other guns in their shop, tagged price is in the fair to slightly over-priced range. Nice N-frame for sure, but not for me.

Oh well...
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-15-2017, 05:11 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

While we're on the subject of magazines, at least sort of.
One of the magazines I have is marked "This magazine must have a yellow follower", and indeed does have a yellow follower. The magazine that I sold earlier this week was marked for 4516-1 only. Other than that, they looked identical. Both functioned fine in my 457, but if there is something special, as in a market, for the yellow follower magazine, I can put it in the classifieds as I have plenty of the black follower magazines.

Does anyone know if there is a difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Just for the record in case anyone else was thinking of rushing down there... the Model 25 revolver they have is no bargain after all. Simply a poorly written, easily misread price tag. Like all other guns in their shop, tagged price is in the fair to slightly over-priced range. Nice N-frame for sure, but not for me.

Oh well...
So, they haven't changed much since 2014/15?
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:43 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
While we're on the subject of magazines, at least sort of.
One of the magazines I have is marked "This magazine must have a yellow follower", and indeed does have a yellow follower. The magazine that I sold earlier this week was marked for 4516-1 only. Other than that, they looked identical. Both functioned fine in my 457, but if there is something special, as in a market, for the yellow follower magazine, I can put it in the classifieds as I have plenty of the black follower magazines.

Does anyone know if there is a difference?
Nothing particularly special or valuable about the yellow follower 4516-something magazines. They came after the original (short-lived) orange follower magazines and before the current black follower magazines. There is a good thread on the topic here (applies to both 4506- & 4516- magazines) but the pix have fallen victim to Photobucket. I posted a copy below from Google Images.

The other half of the mystery still stands... i.e., why some magazines were marked "4516 only" and some were marked "4516-1 only." One must assume that it had something to do with the two different early versions of the gun. The yellow follower 4516-something magazines that only say "This magazine must have a yellow follower" are apparently later magazines than the specific model-designated ones.
Attached Thumbnails
Pristine-1-jpg  
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

'tis a bit baffling, isn't it? Okay, back to the cabinet with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSH View Post
Nothing particularly special or valuable about the yellow follower 4516-something magazines. They came after the original (short-lived) orange follower magazines and before the current black follower magazines. There is a good thread on the topic here (applies to both 4506- & 4516- magazines) but the pix have fallen victim to Photobucket. I posted a copy below from Google Images.

The other half of the mystery still stands... i.e., why some magazines were marked "4516 only" and some were marked "4516-1 only." One must assume that it had something to do with the two different early versions of the gun. The yellow follower 4516-something magazines that only say "This magazine must have a yellow follower" are apparently later magazines than the specific model-designated ones.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 PM
TTSH's Avatar
TTSH TTSH is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: MA
Posts: 4,826
Likes: 8,842
Liked 4,649 Times in 2,393 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
'tis a bit baffling, isn't it? Okay, back to the cabinet with it.
At least there were reasons for the follower changes (i.e., to go along with the magazine tube changes). But if anyone knows why both orange and yellow follower 4516-something magazines came in specific model-designated versions, I'd love to know why?
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-20-2017, 10:18 AM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine Pristine  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 6,629
Likes: 4,373
Liked 8,094 Times in 3,344 Posts
Default

In case anyone is looking for 457/4513 magazines, someone just listed a bunch on Ebay.

Note that "someone" is not me and I have no financial interest in the listings.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Very Pristine 15-4//SPF glenncal1 GUNS - For Sale or Trade 1 04-01-2017 09:00 AM
Very Pristine 15-4//SPF Elsewhere glenncal1 GUNS - For Sale or Trade 1 03-25-2017 09:46 AM
Pristine Box for K-32! gkitch Accessories/Misc - For Sale or Trade 1 02-21-2017 08:26 AM
Value of pristine 29-5? Cliph S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 7 03-07-2009 08:48 PM
pristine 39-2 george minze Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 5 10-27-2008 05:39 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:19 PM.


S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2015
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)