Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols Other Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols from the 1950's to Present


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:50 AM
antilamr antilamr is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: So Cal
Posts: 194
Likes: 62
Liked 194 Times in 78 Posts
Default 915 Worth it?

I've come across a 915 with about 400 down the pipe. Looks to be in 98%+ condition. I know its s&w's first attempt at the Value line and there were a gazillion of these made over the 3 or so year run. That makes them a less than collectable piece of fine hardware. Read they're a fine full size duty/defense/range gun.(better to shoot & enjoy).

Being in a non free state usually means a higher price tag on everything S&W for me. Seller is asking $450 with 2 magazines.


Here's my dilemma, do I spend a little more for a more collectable (valuable) 3rd gen variant or just buy this inexpensive one and enjoy it for what it is? I have a 3913 which I'm in love with and looking to expand my holdings.
Any 915 owners with thoughts pro or nay would be appreciated. Strong suits and weak links as well.


It would mainly be used for range & home defense as my 3913 is for carry.
Attached Thumbnails
915 Worth it?-915l-jpg   915 Worth it?-915r-jpg  

Last edited by antilamr; 02-04-2020 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:52 AM
CH4's Avatar
CH4 CH4 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Nevada/Philippines
Posts: 3,888
Likes: 8,320
Liked 7,026 Times in 2,352 Posts
Default

I’d give $450
Can’t buy a Glock for that
__________________
FBINA 213

Last edited by CH4; 02-04-2020 at 04:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:03 AM
stansdds stansdds is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,588
Likes: 1,868
Liked 2,765 Times in 1,399 Posts
Default

Looks to be in very nice condition. Given that you are in California, I'd say $450 with two factory magazines (not Pro-Mag) is very fair. Even here on the east coast that would be around $400.
__________________
VCDL, GOA, NRA
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 02-04-2020, 08:37 AM
max's Avatar
max max is offline
US Veteran
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: illinois
Posts: 4,875
Likes: 917
Liked 3,656 Times in 1,207 Posts
Default

They are very nice full size 9mm's. They are not "value line" just not as nicely finished as their cousins. I don't see anything wrong with that price.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:04 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 11,514
Likes: 266
Liked 14,404 Times in 6,542 Posts
Default

Buy it........ it's the Model 28 of of the 3rd Gen Semi-autos.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 AM
stansdds stansdds is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,588
Likes: 1,868
Liked 2,765 Times in 1,399 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM-BAM View Post
Buy it........ it's the Model 28 of of the 3rd Gen Semi-autos.
Perfect analogy!
__________________
VCDL, GOA, NRA
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:53 AM
kraynky's Avatar
kraynky kraynky is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Central Kentucky
Posts: 1,960
Likes: 7,706
Liked 3,061 Times in 1,186 Posts
Default

Get it while you can. I've passed over one or two and without fail, I always wished I had just gone on and bought them the first time I saw them.

Don't dawdle now, git!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:57 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 11,514
Likes: 266
Liked 14,404 Times in 6,542 Posts
Default

I've scooped up three over the years........ Cerecoated the frame mat gray on one that had been carried a lot (Story was a armored car guy)but the insides were like new....... the other two were "sock draw new" and still are. Don't think I paid more than $325 for any of them;course the last one was about 6 or 7 years ago.

IMO just as good as a 5906 but a heck of a lot easier to carry!!!!

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 02-04-2020 at 09:59 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 02-04-2020, 11:14 AM
sheepdawg's Avatar
sheepdawg sheepdawg is online now
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: The Mutia Escarpment
Posts: 4,052
Likes: 1,382
Liked 8,961 Times in 2,576 Posts
Default

The most underrated pistol in the third gen. line up. Mine shoots like a champ and feeds everything. The one thing bad I can say is the finish doesn't hold up too well but I like the used look.
__________________
LIVE FROM THE DAWGHOUSE
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 02-04-2020, 12:03 PM
Charlie Foxtrott Charlie Foxtrott is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 614
Likes: 110
Liked 753 Times in 292 Posts
Default I have one. It is an excellent pistol.

Considering where you live, I would jump all over it.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #11  
Old 02-04-2020, 12:27 PM
TNZ71's Avatar
TNZ71 TNZ71 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: May 2016
Location: In transit
Posts: 748
Likes: 1,219
Liked 2,141 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Iíve got one. Good gun but $400? Thatís a 5904 price. The finish on those 900 series is thin. But you are in Kalifornia
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #12  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:12 PM
upcountry's Avatar
upcountry upcountry is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oracle AZ
Posts: 93
Likes: 1
Liked 142 Times in 41 Posts
Default

I have one that is not as good condition. It came with a bunch of mags and belonged to a LE firearms instructor. Paid about $400. Utterly reliable, accurate just not as finished as other 3d gens. The only thing I did to it was Novak sights.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:21 PM
Sevens Sevens is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,403
Likes: 4,189
Liked 6,485 Times in 2,499 Posts
Default

California gun economics does not have a Google one-button converter, so I can definitely comment on the pistol but not on the price.

915ís are great but I canít agree to the ďModel 28Ē reference as the 915 is alloy frame. The 28 has less features and a dull finish compared to the legendary 27, but itís just as rugged and tough. Not so with the 915 compared to a 5906. If an all steel 5906 is very near in price then itís a stretch to pay similar money for a 915.

915 could be a better choice than a 5906 if you wear a uniform and you have to lug it around for 50 hours each week, but in every other way, the 915 is a gem because of what it brings for the low price, not because itís better than a 5906 or 5904. It is most definitely not better than those two.

The only S&W 3rd Gen 9mm pistol that the 915 is clearly better than is the 910. If the price isnít wonderful, the 915 is a fine pistol but in the world of 3rd Gens, itís right at the bottom.

And donít read any of this as 915 hate... I own two of Ďem!
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 02-04-2020, 03:35 PM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 11,514
Likes: 266
Liked 14,404 Times in 6,542 Posts
Default

Sevens

I never compared the 915 to the 5906.... accept as to carrying it.......

My Model 28 analogy was more to a lower cost gun,..... MSRP of $467 but LGS price was closer to $400 ........for the working man/officer in 1993......

Same concept as the Highway Patrolman's introduction in 1954..... an affordable version of the 27. A gun that most young cops couldn't afford on their salary's.

Novak used the 915 to build a number of custom guns...... due to the heavier dust rails....... it's as tough as any alloy frame gun Smith built.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 02-04-2020 at 04:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 02-04-2020, 04:09 PM
Sevens Sevens is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,403
Likes: 4,189
Liked 6,485 Times in 2,499 Posts
Default

Can’t agree and will not, the difference between alloy and steel is significant.

I have two 915’s currently, down from 3. I love to keep one around if/when someone wants to buy in to their first handgun for low bucks. (and that is where my 3rd one went)

I have two 28’s and a 27 also. Love 28’s. With eyes closed, you cannot tell if it is a 27 or 28. Not so with a 915/5906.

915’s are terrific when they are priced accordingly. When the price climbs, it’s very easy to point out what a 915 lacks.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #16  
Old 02-04-2020, 05:09 PM
StephenWhoDat's Avatar
StephenWhoDat StephenWhoDat is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Southeast Louisiana
Posts: 257
Likes: 894
Liked 353 Times in 137 Posts
Default

Buy it. That would sell for about $350 down in The Bayou State. But, considering where you are, I'd say $450 is a great deal for a pistol that will outlive your grandkids.
__________________
S.D.M.F.-God Bless Our Troops!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #17  
Old 02-04-2020, 05:21 PM
remnard remnard is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 53
Likes: 34
Liked 50 Times in 13 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by antilamr View Post
I've come across a 915 with about 400 down the pipe. Looks to be in 98%+ condition. I know its s&w's first attempt at the Value line and there were a gazillion of these made over the 3 or so year run. That makes them a less than collectable piece of fine hardware. Read they're a fine full size duty/defense/range gun.(better to shoot & enjoy).

Being in a non free state usually means a higher price tag on everything S&W for me. Seller is asking $450 with 2 magazines.


Here's my dilemma, do I spend a little more for a more collectable (valuable) 3rd gen variant or just buy this inexpensive one and enjoy it for what it is? I have a 3913 which I'm in love with and looking to expand my holdings.
Any 915 owners with thoughts pro or nay would be appreciated. Strong suits and weak links as well.


It would mainly be used for range & home defense as my 3913 is for carry.
funny this pops up. I was looking for original boxes so I can sell a couple of pieces and I found the box for my 915. I gave it to my daughter a few years ago. Mine was a good shooter, high capacity and was light for carry. price is high as they list at 275 for a 95% condition.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:17 PM
toddcfii toddcfii is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 180
Likes: 128
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
California gun economics does not have a Google one-button converter, so I can definitely comment on the pistol but not on the price.

915’s are great but I can’t agree to the “Model 28” reference as the 915 is alloy frame. The 28 has less features and a dull finish compared to the legendary 27, but it’s just as rugged and tough. Not so with the 915 compared to a 5906. If an all steel 5906 is very near in price then it’s a stretch to pay similar money for a 915.

915 could be a better choice than a 5906 if you wear a uniform and you have to lug it around for 50 hours each week, but in every other way, the 915 is a gem because of what it brings for the low price, not because it’s better than a 5906 or 5904. It is most definitely not better than those two.

The only S&W 3rd Gen 9mm pistol that the 915 is clearly better than is the 910. If the price isn’t wonderful, the 915 is a fine pistol but in the world of 3rd Gens, it’s right at the bottom.

And don’t read any of this as 915 hate... I own two of ‘em!
Brother Sevens

Great post. I do have three exceptions to your postulations though:

1. Is it not better to compare the 915 to the other alloy frame 3rd gens? Would that be a 5903 or 5904? Not a 5906. Some people and situations call for a steel frame and some call for an aluminum frame. One is not better than another.

2. Why no love for the 910? They are the same gun are they not? One just comes with 10 round mags and one with high capacity mags. 10 round magazines are going for more money than hi caps because of some jurisdictions requiring them. As a matter of money one could buy a 910 and sell the mags then pick up hi caps for cheaper and be all in at a lower price than a 915. Therefore 910>915. How is that logic for you?

3. You were talking 9 mm. But if we are talking least desirable of the 3rd gens I would put the 411 below the 915 simply due to the 40 caliber. They are a harder sell and currently less desirable. So many people don’t want the 40 right now that I bet there are other 3rd gens in the caliber that bring less money than the 915.

3a. Because I only said three things I get a 3a. The 910, 915 and 411 get a nod for the single sided safety. Some people really like this for concealed carry. Some people even buy these guns to swap out the safety to put on another gun.

Respectfully

Last edited by toddcfii; 02-04-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:29 PM
hoytx10 hoytx10 is online now
SWCA Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: SE PA
Posts: 221
Likes: 341
Liked 112 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Looks like a good deal to me!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #20  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:48 PM
HOUSTON RICK HOUSTON RICK is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HOUSTON, TEXAS
Posts: 7,145
Likes: 4,207
Liked 8,346 Times in 3,348 Posts
Default

I really like the Model 915. It was in the value line, but now it is in the "They do not make them like that any more" line. It is a true third generation S&W semi-automatic (even though the model number has three digits), and can do anything that the rest of the line can do. they have no operational weaknesses. It will not resale for as much as the Model 59, 5906, etc. I own two of them. It also uses the standard readily available S&W 59 Magazine. $450 with two magazines is a good price in the People's Republic of Californistan.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #21  
Old 02-04-2020, 09:51 PM
fordson fordson is offline
US Veteran
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: NE FL
Posts: 695
Likes: 328
Liked 1,144 Times in 410 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddcfii View Post
Brother Sevens

Great post. I do have three exceptions to your postulations though:

1. Is it not better to compare the 915 to the other alloy frame 3rd gens? Would that be a 5903 or 5904? Not a 5906. Some people and situations call for a steel frame and some call for an aluminum frame. One is not better than another.

2. Why no love for the 910? They are the same gun are they not? One just comes with 10 round mags and one with high capacity mags. 10 round magazines are going for more money than hi caps because of some jurisdictions requiring them. As a matter of money one could buy a 910 and sell the mags then pick up hi caps for cheaper and be all in at a lower price than a 915. Therefore 910>915. How is that logic for you?

3. You were talking 9 mm. But if we are talking least desirable of the 3rd gens I would put the 411 below the 915 simply due to the 40 caliber. They are a harder sell and currently less desirable. So many people don’t want the 40 right now that I bet there are other 3rd gens in the caliber that bring less money than the 915.

3a. Because I only said three things I get a 3a. The 910, 915 and 411 get a nod for the single sided safety. Some people really like this for concealed carry. Some people even buy these guns to swap out the safety to put on another gun.

Respectfully
There are some differences between the 910 & 915. They are both in the Value Line; the 915 is just a step up higher. The 910 has a single locking lug and the 915 has two. The 910 has plastic rear sights and plastic guide rod. The 915 has steel/metal ones. Now, the 910 will take the 915 hi-cap mags but that doesn’t make a 910 a 915.
The 910 is a good pistol; I have one. It’s a great pistol for teaching first time shooters. All my kids(two daughter, son, their husbands and wife and the grandkids) just enjoy the heck out Shooting that pistol. It gets a lot of use.
__________________
"Your other right........."

Last edited by fordson; 02-04-2020 at 09:54 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #22  
Old 02-04-2020, 10:00 PM
jsbethel jsbethel is online now
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 1,634
Likes: 10
Liked 1,193 Times in 655 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddcfii View Post
Why no love for the 910? They are the same gun are they not?
It's a rather common misconception that the 910 and 915 are the same pistol.
Attached Thumbnails
915 Worth it?-915-910-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #23  
Old 02-04-2020, 10:21 PM
toddcfii toddcfii is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 180
Likes: 128
Liked 100 Times in 58 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbethel View Post
It's a rather common misconception that the 910 and 915 are the same pistol.
Well damn. That is the first time this month I have been wrong. Sarcasm.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 02-05-2020, 07:28 AM
Sevens Sevens is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,403
Likes: 4,189
Liked 6,485 Times in 2,499 Posts
Default

Oooh, I love the questions and the discussion. This is a fun topic on a great pistol.

In order:
1) Definitely makes sense to compare it to the 5903/5904 more than the 5906. I believe I chose to compare it to the 5906 because the 5906 is far more available and (in my circles), tends to run much closer in price. Frankly, I donít see many 5903/5904 available anywhere, but 915/5906 I see everywhere.

To that end, the 5903/5904 also beat the 915 handily, IMO. You get far better sights and much better finish. As much as I like the 915, a cheaper finish on a handgun S&W has not made. The 915ís finish durability may be itís biggest achilles heel (if it has one.) The 915ís finish is nowhere in the hemisphere of ďdurable.Ē

1A) steel frame vs alloy frame, you say that different situations call for one or the other, and I will definitely agree with you there, but I canít exactly agree that one isnít better than the other. It occurs to me that in basically EVERY facet of a handgun being a handgun, steel frame whups on alloy frame every time in every possible way that matters in every direction -EXCEPT- for having to carry it all day long, day in & day out. Put another way: if you have to haul it around and maybe 1% of your 25-30 year career need to shoot someone with it, alloy is a better choice. However, if you intend to shoot the gun (for ANY reason) and you want the shootability and durability and handling and follow-up shots and anything else possibly related to actually shooting, I canít imagine any argument that will convince me that an alloy frame is somehow better than good Ďole American STEEL.


2) The 910... as was said, absolutely NOT the same as a 915 with a ban-era magazine. The 910/410/908/909 are what S&W actually intended for the ďValue Line.Ē Cheap plastic parts in key places, including the magazine catch and guide rod. And from a collector or simply an enthusiastís viewpoint, they are also UGLY. The slides are all squared and blocky. The way I describe them is that they look like a Chinese copy of a 3rd Gen that should be sold in a blister pack, hanging on a peg near the cash register. I donít like them.

3) 915 vs 411. Okay, I hear your argument and while I will agree that everyone AND their mother hates the .40cal these days, I must say this before I concede your point: the 411 is crazy hella scarce, while they made a gujillion 915ís. From a ďcollectibilityĒ and scarcity standpoint, the 411 has is all over the 915 in spades. As for desirability... Iíll give you that the 915 > 411.

3a) I love the single sided decock lever also, I really love it, and I swapped ambi levers on two of my 2nd Gens to get single sided levers in return. Iíd do it with ALL of my 2/3rd Gens if I could! But I cannot actually imagine some folks buying a whole pistol to get a hold of the single sided decock lever. (heh, I once bought a gun to get the ammo offered with it... wait, maybe I did that twice!) Anything is possible!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 02-05-2020, 08:41 AM
1775usmarine 1775usmarine is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 482
Likes: 87
Liked 297 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Oooh, I love the questions and the discussion. This is a fun topic on a great pistol.

In order:
1) Definitely makes sense to compare it to the 5903/5904 more than the 5906. I believe I chose to compare it to the 5906 because the 5906 is far more available and (in my circles), tends to run much closer in price. Frankly, I donít see many 5903/5904 available anywhere, but 915/5906 I see everywhere.

To that end, the 5903/5904 also beat the 915 handily, IMO. You get far better sights and much better finish. As much as I like the 915, a cheaper finish on a handgun S&W has not made. The 915ís finish durability may be itís biggest achilles heel (if it has one.) The 915ís finish is nowhere in the hemisphere of ďdurable.Ē

1A) steel frame vs alloy frame, you say that different situations call for one or the other, and I will definitely agree with you there, but I canít exactly agree that one isnít better than the other. It occurs to me that in basically EVERY facet of a handgun being a handgun, steel frame whups on alloy frame every time in every possible way that matters in every direction -EXCEPT- for having to carry it all day long, day in & day out. Put another way: if you have to haul it around and maybe 1% of your 25-30 year career need to shoot someone with it, alloy is a better choice. However, if you intend to shoot the gun (for ANY reason) and you want the shootability and durability and handling and follow-up shots and anything else possibly related to actually shooting, I canít imagine any argument that will convince me that an alloy frame is somehow better than good Ďole American STEEL.


2) The 910... as was said, absolutely NOT the same as a 915 with a ban-era magazine. The 910/410/908/909 are what S&W actually intended for the ďValue Line.Ē Cheap plastic parts in key places, including the magazine catch and guide rod. And from a collector or simply an enthusiastís viewpoint, they are also UGLY. The slides are all squared and blocky. The way I describe them is that they look like a Chinese copy of a 3rd Gen that should be sold in a blister pack, hanging on a peg near the cash register. I donít like them.

3) 915 vs 411. Okay, I hear your argument and while I will agree that everyone AND their mother hates the .40cal these days, I must say this before I concede your point: the 411 is crazy hella scarce, while they made a gujillion 915ís. From a ďcollectibilityĒ and scarcity standpoint, the 411 has is all over the 915 in spades. As for desirability... Iíll give you that the 915 > 411.

3a) I love the single sided decock lever also, I really love it, and I swapped ambi levers on two of my 2nd Gens to get single sided levers in return. Iíd do it with ALL of my 2/3rd Gens if I could! But I cannot actually imagine some folks buying a whole pistol to get a hold of the single sided decock lever. (heh, I once bought a gun to get the ammo offered with it... wait, maybe I did that twice!) Anything is possible!

2. Dont forget the 457, though that seems to be the exception around here as far as desirability, value, and underatedness goes.

I too thought the value line was ugly and said I'd never own one. Yet I found a 909 of which only 8000ish were made for a good price and my gun guy happened to have a pristine 457. I ended up walking out with 2 3rd gens that day to the dismay of my wife, till I explained the price I paid vs what the completed sales were showing. She eased up even more when the mothership was able to tell me how many 909's were made
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #26  
Old 02-05-2020, 03:43 PM
mbliss57's Avatar
mbliss57 mbliss57 is offline
US Veteran
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NE Ohio
Posts: 5,020
Likes: 6,004
Liked 6,870 Times in 1,949 Posts
Default

I wouldnít buy one unless the price was really attractive. They are not as nice as a 5904 by any means. They were made cheaply on purpose. I bought one in very early 2016 for $250 OTD from a LGS. Box docs and about 98%. That was a good price. It may be that $250-$300 here in Ohio is equivalent to $450 in CA. If so then itís a good deal. But thatís what itís worth in this state. There is nothing wrong with them. They are a value series pistol. I think you would appreciate a 5904 or 5906 a lot more. If there was $100 difference between a 915 and a 5904 Iíd buy the 5904.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
John 1:17
NRA Life Benefactor
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #27  
Old 02-05-2020, 10:05 PM
TercGen TercGen is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 966
Likes: 4,169
Liked 1,279 Times in 605 Posts
Default

I own a few 915's and would recommend buying this one. As others have stated, $450 is a good price in Kalifornia for this, but I wouldn't even consider it to be that expensive elsewhere, considering the condition and low round count.

My main 915 is on my hip as I write this, and often gets used as a house gun as well as carried in the Winter. Lightweight, accurate, and reliable as any other S&W 3rd Gen. I actually prefer the 915's frame to other aluminum 59xx guns, since it doesn't have the stepped side.

My 915's have bobbed hammers, Trijicon SA04 night sights, and one-piece guide rods. The finish isn't the best, but a bit of oil on the slide/hammer keeps it protected just fine from rust.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #28  
Old 02-06-2020, 02:51 AM
JohnHL JohnHL is offline
SWCA Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: High Ridge, Mo.
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 4,418
Liked 2,455 Times in 1,020 Posts
Default

I once bought a new Savage SS Bolt Rifle in 22 Magnum because I got a great deal on a quantity of ammo.

I'm not impulsive because I had the ammo for quite a few years and never shot any of it until I found a smoking deal on the Savage.

What's that got to do with the model 915?

I bought my model 915 mostly because I wanted the grips...

(You may hear that from time to time over there in "Revolver World", but not much over here.)

You see, I had been looking for a set of Crimson Trace Laser Grips for S&W double stack, 9mm and 40 s&w pistols (I have a number of those) but I couldn't find a set of the Crimson Trace grips for less than $180.00 plus shipping.

Then the 915 became available.
It was in "good" condition with one blue Mec-Gar mag, no box, but a remarkably nice trigger.

It was priced at $399.00, but was wearing a brand new set of (you guessed it) Crimson Trace Laser Grips!

I was no fan of the "less than durable" S&W "blue" finish, but it was also to be the first full size, alloy framed, 9mm, 3rd gen I had (in blue or stainless).

I figured it to be a $299.00 pistol and $100.00 seemed like a good price for the laser grips.

And with the nice trigger, it turned out to be a darn fine shooter, too.

However, compared to some of you guys, I feel under gunned.

I only have ONE model 915!

John

Last edited by JohnHL; 02-12-2020 at 04:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #29  
Old 02-06-2020, 12:20 PM
TNZ71's Avatar
TNZ71 TNZ71 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: May 2016
Location: In transit
Posts: 748
Likes: 1,219
Liked 2,141 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHL View Post
....................
Then the 915 became available.
It was in "good" condition with one blue Mec-Gar mag, no box, but a remarkably nice trigger.

It was priced at $399.00, but was wearing a brand new set of (you guessed it) Crimson Trace Laser Grips!

I was no fan of the "less than durable" S&W "blue" finish, but it was also to be the first full size, alloy framed, 9mm, 3rd gen I had (in blue or stainless).

I figured it to be a $299.00 pistol and $100.00 seemed like a good price for the laser grips.

And with the nice trigger, it turned out to be a darn fine shooter, too.

However, compared to some of you guys, I feel under gunned.

I only have ONE model 915!

John
I understand. It didnít make sense to some for me to buy a $250 ďgaspĒ S&W Mod 910 but when you take into consideration the extras that came with it (in addition to 2 10rd magazines) were 5 brand new in package 15rd magazines along with a metal guide rod and spring. Easily makes this a $100 910
915 Worth it?-0f56ce7f-700b-42e6-9eb4-3f00fdf08959-jpg
915 Worth it?-7b964881-71dc-46c3-a831-365f00684158-jpg
Attached Thumbnails
915 Worth it?-7b964881-71dc-46c3-a831-365f00684158-jpg   915 Worth it?-0f56ce7f-700b-42e6-9eb4-3f00fdf08959-jpg  
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #30  
Old 02-06-2020, 01:55 PM
JohnHL JohnHL is offline
SWCA Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: High Ridge, Mo.
Posts: 1,941
Likes: 4,418
Liked 2,455 Times in 1,020 Posts
Default

You're right, TNZ71!

Sometimes, ya gotta look at the BIG picture. (Eyes WIDE open!)

John
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #31  
Old 02-07-2020, 11:42 AM
S&W59 S&W59 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 144
Likes: 0
Liked 154 Times in 56 Posts
Default

I'm a S&W purist collector. That means I collect S&W revolvers and automatics in their original as-factory shipped condition. When I obtain a vintage revolver or pistol, its gone over meticulously to assure its as-factory. Aftermarket grips are replaced, out of sorts or modified parts are replaced as well. That being said, I would own a 910 with equal zeal and pride as a 915 but for likely different reasons than most.

The 910 is an example of S&W's evolution. During the ban years, it wasn't just the 10 round magazine at issue but the Glock revolution that was also taking place. Frankly put, Glock and FN hit everyone out of the blue with polymer framed guns. Smith&Wesson and Colt were blindsided by this as they had no designs in the works at the time that were polymer based. So we had the dark ages for Smith&Wesson where they produced a Glock clone, the Sigma. They also licensed the Walther P99 to be assembled and sold as the SW99. But before that, their reaction was to offer bargain priced versions of tried and true designs. To make them as reasonable as they could, they reduced costs and some of the refinement in their value line pistols. It didn't work as well as they hoped and so the Sigma and SW99 pistols came around while S&W worked on better polymer based designs.

Colt was pretty much screwed as well, if anyone remembers the total fiasco of the Colt model 2000 All-American can attest. Literally the worst commercially available pistol made by a major manufacturer in the history of small arms. The 910 is not the best made of the 3rd Gen line, but its not trash either. I'd collect one, albeit it would likely be the last pistol I'd purchase just to complete the collection.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #32  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:20 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is online now
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 5,371
Likes: 16,477
Liked 8,983 Times in 2,144 Posts
Default

Well worth it IMO. And evidently Novak's thought enough of the 915 pistol to offer a Full House upgrade for it.

It is a fine 9mm. Back in the day, Mr Bert DuVernay, then head of the S&W Academy, who could have had S&W make him whatever he wished, had a stock 915 sent to the Performance Center for upgrades.

They did an action job, tightened the gun with a new slide stop, installed Novak night sights and refinished it in a matte black. He used it as his teaching pistol. He sold it to me a dozen years ago.

And it is as fine an example of a 9mm hi cap gun as you will find. I shot several matches with it andit always makes me look good. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #33  
Old 02-07-2020, 12:31 PM
TNZ71's Avatar
TNZ71 TNZ71 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: May 2016
Location: In transit
Posts: 748
Likes: 1,219
Liked 2,141 Times in 459 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
Well worth it IMO. And evidently Novak's thought enough of the 915 pistol to offer a Full House upgrade for it.

It is a fine 9mm. Back in the day, Mr Bert DuVernay, then head of the S&W Academy, who could have had S&W make him whatever he wished, had a stock 915 sent to the Performance Center for upgrades.

They did an action job, tightened the gun with a new slide stop, installed Novak night sights and refinished it in a matte black. He used it as his teaching pistol. He sold it to me a dozen years ago.

And it is as fine an example of a 9mm hi cap gun as you will find. I shot several matches with it andit always makes me look good. Regards 18DAI


My only complaint with any of the Value line Guns is the finish. Iíve got a Glock 27 that I carried off duty for 15+ years that lived under the front seat of my truck when not in my waistband. The finish in the slide shows zero wear.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #34  
Old 02-07-2020, 01:27 PM
1775usmarine 1775usmarine is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 482
Likes: 87
Liked 297 Times in 156 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNZ71 View Post



My only complaint with any of the Value line Guns is the finish. Iíve got a Glock 27 that I carried off duty for 15+ years that lived under the front seat of my truck when not in my waistband. The finish in the slide shows zero wear.
That's why my 457 sits in the safe. I'd rate the finish a solid 95-98% and would like to keep it that way. Slowly expanding the 10 3rd gens and 1 extra 5906 frankengun I have now to include a nice 4516 within the next year.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #35  
Old 02-12-2020, 08:56 AM
Frank Black Frank Black is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: midwest
Posts: 25
Likes: 15
Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevens View Post
Oooh, I love the questions and the discussion. This is a fun topic on a great pistol.
Yes. I've been following this thread as the discussion is interesting, and timely for me, particularly this:

* * *
Quote:
3) 915 vs 411. Okay, I hear your argument and while I will agree that everyone AND their mother hates the .40cal these days, I must say this before I concede your point: the 411 is crazy hella scarce, while they made a gujillion 915ís. From a ďcollectibilityĒ and scarcity standpoint, the 411 has is all over the 915 in spades. As for desirability... Iíll give you that the 915 > 411.
Interesting, ... because last week I stumbled into a model 411 at the LGS.

The exterior showed some scrapes, scratches, and definitely holster wear, especially at the muzzle. The internals and the bore & crown of the barrel all looked good.

Tag on it said: $275.

The tag also stated: 'with original S&W box' (which had the labels still attached), 'papers, and three 11-rd magazines.'

The mags had the yellow followers. They were a little dirty but otherwise the mag bodies, floorplates, and springs seemed in good shape.

I know the store owner from previous purchases, and he said the gun had been in the shop about 3 1/2 months.

I asked, 'Would you take $250 cash OTD today?' He replied, 'let me check my book to see what I've got in it.' Apparently it was one of several guns that came into his shop via an estate sale.

A minute later he reappeared and said: 'Sure, $250's good.'

I know it's a 'pre-ban' gun, just not sure what year it was made: ser.# VAB02XX.

I only had time for a brief range test, mainly to vet function and test the mags. No malfs whatsoever in about 40-rds fired. I wasn't expecting much, but for a .40 it shot great, actually. The DA trigger pull is heavy, but that's correctable.

Being a hardcore 10mm AUTO guy, I have exactly ZERO need for a .40 pistol, but I mean c'mon, ... for $250?

Plus, there's that soft spot for the Old School 3rd Gens ... They made the '80s roar before everyone got all Glockified and Grunged-up in the '90s.
Attached Thumbnails
915 Worth it?-photo-jpg  

Last edited by Frank Black; 02-12-2020 at 09:12 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #36  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:19 PM
Sevens Sevens is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 4,403
Likes: 4,189
Liked 6,485 Times in 2,499 Posts
Default

Made 1992 or 1993. Possibly early 1994 but I believe S&W was set to deliver the 910/410 by the start of the AWB. If you have the box with end label, the SPEC ORDR tells us the born-on date.

Nice pick up for low bucks.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #37  
Old 02-12-2020, 04:33 PM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 11,514
Likes: 266
Liked 14,404 Times in 6,542 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Black View Post







Being a hardcore 10mm AUTO guy, I have exactly ZERO need for a .40 pistol, but I mean c'mon, ... for $250?

Plus, there's that soft spot for the Old School 3rd Gens ... They made the '80s roar before everyone got all Glockified and Grunged-up in the '90s.

Remember .40 inch = 10mm So think of it as a "10mm Special"



Buy it you'll like it!
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #38  
Old 02-12-2020, 05:10 PM
mrmike7189's Avatar
mrmike7189 mrmike7189 is offline
Member
915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it? 915 Worth it?  
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: massachusetts
Posts: 517
Likes: 1,158
Liked 294 Times in 165 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNZ71 View Post



My only complaint with any of the Value line Guns is the finish. I’ve got a Glock 27 that I carried off duty for 15+ years that lived under the front seat of my truck when not in my waistband. The finish in the slide shows zero wear.
I have a Glock 26....it has over 5k rounds through it and the finish is "as new". As for the S&W value series. I once owned a 410. The finish was very dull. It was a good gun though
__________________
S&W BG380/Marlin Camp9 Carbine
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's it worth? D6caterpillar S&W Antiques 6 01-11-2018 08:32 PM
17-2 What do you think it is worth? Corgilover S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 12 01-06-2018 07:57 PM
what is it worth ? kid quick S&W Revolvers: 1961 to 1980 3 07-27-2013 02:51 PM
What is this worth? BurnettMarus S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 1 07-14-2011 01:07 PM
What's a 624 worth? bedlamite S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 1 03-01-2010 04:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
© S-W Forum, LLC 2000-2020
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)