Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols Other Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols from the 1950's to Present


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-26-2020, 12:36 AM
4506517's Avatar
4506517 4506517 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 2,076
Likes: 2,589
Liked 2,874 Times in 974 Posts
Default Generic 3rd Gen Grips

While browsing the big auction site (you know the one) I saw an interesting auction for new 3rd gen "type" grips. I think the price was $17.00.

I was interested. Upon further examination, I realized these were generic copies. Nowhere on the grip does it say "Smith & Wesson". There are only blank spots where the trade name appears.

I have a couple new, genuine, straight back 45XX and 59/40XX grips tucked away, but you know, hen's teeth are hard to come by.

Just thought I'd mention it in case someone might be looking for replacements. The auction is not mine and I have no interest in promoting it.
__________________
Un-Reconstructed Southerner
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #2  
Old 07-26-2020, 02:26 AM
grcoffman104's Avatar
grcoffman104 grcoffman104 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gatesville
Posts: 596
Likes: 84
Liked 920 Times in 292 Posts
Default

I have a few of those.
No issues.
Much cheaper and looks the same except as you noted
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 AM
kbm6893 kbm6893 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 4,940
Likes: 215
Liked 3,783 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default

Robertson Trading Post sells those. Probably where the guy on the auction site got them.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 07-26-2020, 08:34 AM
ACEd ACEd is offline
SWCA Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Covington, La
Posts: 76
Likes: 30
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Default

You can get original S&W grips for about $19 from Midway and Brownells - Also Numrich but slightly more expensive

Last edited by ACEd; 07-26-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 07-26-2020, 11:10 AM
epj's Avatar
epj epj is offline
US Veteran
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 4,176
Likes: 143
Liked 2,100 Times in 954 Posts
Default

They have them in stock sporadically. If they are out of stock check back in a couple of months. They apparently get batches on an irregular basis.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-26-2020, 01:20 PM
ACEd ACEd is offline
SWCA Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Covington, La
Posts: 76
Likes: 30
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Slightly off subject, but there were some early SW 3rd Gen grips that were problematic (fractures?) and were replaced by SW. I just purchased a 1989 vintage 5904 with original grips (the ones without the dimple on base next to hole) - does anyone know if SW is still replacing the problem grips for free?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-26-2020, 01:28 PM
epj's Avatar
epj epj is offline
US Veteran
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Birmingham, Alabama
Posts: 4,176
Likes: 143
Liked 2,100 Times in 954 Posts
Default

They probably are. Id sure call customer service and see. They may just send you the grips and let you change yourself.
Id be interested in knowing. I have a 5906 and a 4006 that are probably eligible.

Last edited by epj; 07-26-2020 at 01:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #8  
Old 07-26-2020, 01:37 PM
jsbethel jsbethel is online now
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 1,782
Likes: 10
Liked 1,435 Times in 744 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEd View Post
I just purchased a 1989 vintage 5904 with original grips (the ones without the dimple on base next to hole) - does anyone know if SW is still replacing the problem grips for free?
S&W replaced a 3906 grip for me in March so yes, if they have them in stock they still replace the recalled grips. I usually send an email asking if the part number is in stock and then go from there.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 07-26-2020, 07:27 PM
TercGen TercGen is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 1,052
Likes: 4,901
Liked 1,490 Times in 677 Posts
Default

The last set of recall grips that S&W replaced for my was about a year ago, and all they asked for on the phone was the serial # of the gun it came on, then sent me a new set of grips.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 07-26-2020, 09:12 PM
GaryS's Avatar
GaryS GaryS is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: MA
Posts: 9,274
Likes: 7,022
Liked 13,229 Times in 5,210 Posts
Default

Same for me on a 1989 made 3914. I called, gave them the SN and they sent me the grips.


Quote:
Originally Posted by TercGen View Post
The last set of recall grips that S&W replaced for my was about a year ago, and all they asked for on the phone was the serial # of the gun it came on, then sent me a new set of grips.
__________________
Can open, worms everywhere.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 07-26-2020, 10:11 PM
4506517's Avatar
4506517 4506517 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 2,076
Likes: 2,589
Liked 2,874 Times in 974 Posts
Default

I think it was Robertson's auction.

For those that have them, do they seem of at least decent quality?

I might consider picking a few up for emergencies.
__________________
Un-Reconstructed Southerner
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 07-26-2020, 10:25 PM
toddimusnimski's Avatar
toddimusnimski toddimusnimski is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Western WA
Posts: 586
Likes: 244
Liked 311 Times in 148 Posts
Default

I copied this from elsewhere:

RECALL: Smith & Wesson has shipped over 300,000 Third generation Pistols. We have had a very small number or reports where a dropped pistol resulted in a broken grip resulting in a failure to fire by releasing mainspring tension. Resultant testing and review have shown that a pistol dropped at a specific angle can cause a fracture of the grip.

As a result of these occurrences and our testing, we have made a change in the grip material to a thermoplastic alloy of increased durability. This new material, which is now being used on all current production models, can be identified by a dimple on the bottom of the grip, next to the large opening. Additionally, the blue product box has a green dot sticker on the label end.

We believe it unlikely that you will experience any problem with your original grips. However, in order to safeguard our customers from the possibility of such a malfunction, we will make available, free of charge, an easily installed replacement grip. Please inspect your pistol and if you have a model listed below that does not have a small dimple next to the large opening, please write us including your model and serial number or call 1-800-331-0852. If you prefer, you can send your pistol to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Station where we will replace the grip for you.

Models Affected:

3904, 3906, 3913, 3913LS, 3914, 3914LS, 1006, 1066, 4506, 4516, 4516-1, 5903, 5904, 5906, 5946, 6904, 6906 & 6946

Smith & Wesson's development process is a continuing one. We are constantly striving both to develop new products and improve existing products. We are committed to building the safest, most reliable, finest performing firearms possible.

When I see the occasional 5900 series grips for sale at the local show I check the bottom. More often than not there is no dimple so I pass on them. Those older grips I've seen also seem to have more of a dark grey appearance

Last edited by toddimusnimski; 07-26-2020 at 10:27 PM. Reason: Clarification
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 07-27-2020, 08:56 AM
ACEd ACEd is offline
SWCA Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Covington, La
Posts: 76
Likes: 30
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddimusnimski View Post
I copied this from elsewhere:

RECALL: Smith & Wesson has shipped over 300,000 Third generation Pistols. We have had a very small number or reports where a dropped pistol resulted in a broken grip resulting in a failure to fire by releasing mainspring tension. Resultant testing and review have shown that a pistol dropped at a specific angle can cause a fracture of the grip.

As a result of these occurrences and our testing, we have made a change in the grip material to a thermoplastic alloy of increased durability. This new material, which is now being used on all current production models, can be identified by a dimple on the bottom of the grip, next to the large opening. Additionally, the blue product box has a green dot sticker on the label end.

We believe it unlikely that you will experience any problem with your original grips. However, in order to safeguard our customers from the possibility of such a malfunction, we will make available, free of charge, an easily installed replacement grip. Please inspect your pistol and if you have a model listed below that does not have a small dimple next to the large opening, please write us including your model and serial number or call 1-800-331-0852. If you prefer, you can send your pistol to a Smith & Wesson Warranty Station where we will replace the grip for you.

Models Affected:

3904, 3906, 3913, 3913LS, 3914, 3914LS, 1006, 1066, 4506, 4516, 4516-1, 5903, 5904, 5906, 5946, 6904, 6906 & 6946

Smith & Wesson's development process is a continuing one. We are constantly striving both to develop new products and improve existing products. We are committed to building the safest, most reliable, finest performing firearms possible.

When I see the occasional 5900 series grips for sale at the local show I check the bottom. More often than not there is no dimple so I pass on them. Those older grips I've seen also seem to have more of a dark grey appearance

Interesting that the 3953 is NOT listed in affected models - grips appear to be same as 3913/3914
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-27-2020, 12:26 PM
jsbethel jsbethel is online now
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: KY
Posts: 1,782
Likes: 10
Liked 1,435 Times in 744 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEd View Post
Interesting that the 3953 is NOT listed in affected models - grips appear to be same as 3913/3914
The recall took place around August of 1990 and the 3953/4 models were first seen in the 1991 catalog so I would assume that none of them were shipped with bad grips.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #15  
Old 07-27-2020, 12:40 PM
ACEd ACEd is offline
SWCA Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: May 2020
Location: Covington, La
Posts: 76
Likes: 30
Liked 27 Times in 21 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbethel View Post
The recall took place around August of 1990 and the 3953/4 models were first seen in the 1991 catalog so I would assume that none of them were shipped with bad grips.

That would make sense - for some reason I thought recall was later than that. Best, Ed
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #16  
Old 07-29-2020, 06:16 AM
grcoffman104's Avatar
grcoffman104 grcoffman104 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gatesville
Posts: 596
Likes: 84
Liked 920 Times in 292 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4506517 View Post
I think it was Robertson's auction.

For those that have them, do they seem of at least decent quality?

I might consider picking a few up for emergencies.
No difference from smiths, except doesnt have smith logo.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #17  
Old 07-29-2020, 08:24 AM
rkwood rkwood is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 137
Likes: 596
Liked 174 Times in 76 Posts
Default

MidwayUSA has the real deal in stock right now for $19.29 each, so why bother with repros just to save $2? Pick up a genuine spare while you still can.


Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #18  
Old 07-29-2020, 11:32 PM
grcoffman104's Avatar
grcoffman104 grcoffman104 is offline
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Gatesville
Posts: 596
Likes: 84
Liked 920 Times in 292 Posts
Default

[QUOTE=rkwood;140850716]MidwayUSA has the real deal in stock right now for $19.29 each, so why bother with repros just to save $2? Pick up a genuine spare while you still can.


The trading post that is selling the repos, has given me good deals in the past, and some freebies. I support his business when I can.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #19  
Old 07-29-2020, 11:43 PM
Pine_Worker Pine_Worker is online now
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Central Texas
Posts: 718
Likes: 952
Liked 757 Times in 317 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACEd View Post
Slightly off subject, but there were some early SW 3rd Gen grips that were problematic (fractures?) and were replaced by SW. I just purchased a 1989 vintage 5904 with original grips (the ones without the dimple on base next to hole) - does anyone know if SW is still replacing the problem grips for free?
Yes, S&W replaced a set for my 4006 I got last year. Took about 3 weeks and it came from a 3rd party manufacturer.
__________________
Pine_Worker
NRA Life Member
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #20  
Old 07-30-2020, 07:14 AM
Heymatt Heymatt is online now
Member
Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips Generic 3rd Gen Grips  
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: SE Fla
Posts: 117
Likes: 67
Liked 114 Times in 57 Posts
Default

Funny, when I called about grips for my 5904. After I sent pics of the grip splitting at the heel with the serial number. I was told I needed to send them the pistol and then they would decide if it would be covered under a recall.

Last edited by Heymatt; 07-30-2020 at 07:17 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Generic ammo? Win/Fed SpringGunTunes Ammo 2 06-08-2013 10:21 PM
Generic k frame question 1mathom1 S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 4 01-16-2013 04:19 PM
My custom generic PC681 Dogmann S&W Revolvers: 1980 to the Present 20 12-26-2012 01:31 PM
Generic stuff? G.T. Smith The Lounge 23 08-18-2011 10:30 PM
Generic Holster Size? MitchellB Smith & Wesson SD & Sigma Pistols 12 06-29-2010 08:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:22 PM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)