Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > >

Notices

Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols Other Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols from the 1950's to Present


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-19-2020, 10:47 AM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is online now
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 5,609
Likes: 18,929
Liked 10,297 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.

I am blessed to have the best job in the world, again. I was rehired as an instructor by the new owners of the local public indoor range. I can't believe they pay me to do it.

And I get to shoot, a lot, everyday, teaching others how to. So I also get to shoot a lot of different guns as well. And on days where I am not instructing, I work the range and counter. Sometimes customers will ask us to shoot their guns to check for a percieved deficiency. I get a lot of shooting in.

And I always keep a couple of different guns in my range bag for customers who want to try different types of pistols. The 3914NL, CS9, 4516, 457 and others are often with me.

A month or so ago I took my early production, flash chromed hammer and trigger, 3913 out of storage and cleaned and lubed it. I purchased it on Black Friday at the local Gander mountain almost two decades ago, with my late father. I used it as my off duty/court gun, till we went to 45s. Then it got stored, for that and sentimental reasons.

I took it back out of storage, primarily because it is a great teaching pistol. Soft shooting, reliable, light weight and "perfect" size, for everybody. And customers love it. It makes them feel comfortable and builds confidence quickly. Everyone of them is shocked when I tell them it is out of print. Hey, s&w, back in my former career we called that a clue.

Anyways, yesterday I had 30 minutes between lessons and decided to shoot a little, for fun. I loaded up the 3913 and put up some 2 inch circle targets to shoot "dot drills". And I was stunned as the 3913 put every round inside the 2 inch circles. Out to 15 yards. Round after round going into the circles. Some on top of others. With cheap (back in March when I bought it!)124 grain S&B ball!

I had forgotten how good the 3913 shoots. I always have thought it was one of, if not THE best pistols S&W ever made (after stealing the design and features from Paris Theodore and Charlie Kelsey ) and it is, IMO, the finest 9mm carry gun made, by anyone. To date.

But I have not been shooting it. Only watching others shoot it. And I have not carried it recently. That is going to change. I broke out all my Ken Null and Don Hume leather, from back in the day last night. Found some 147 grain RA9T too. And the 3913 is back in my holster today. It is probably going to be found there, often, going forward. Simply a "perfect" carry gun, for me. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:12 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 327
Liked 16,211 Times in 7,261 Posts
Default

Funny been carrying my Beretta 92 Compact for the last month or so; 15+1 using a newer Mec-gar flush fit mag plus another 18 rd mag with a Farrar mag collar .

This morning broke out my 3931NL as I'm just running errands in my Burb of the Burgh..... before the Gov shuts us down again!!!!

Milt Sparks Executive Companion Holster and a MS double IWB mag pouch I wear between my Wranglers and a Wilderness Tactical Frequent Flyer belt. I like the Hogue checkered wood grips for a bit fuller grip.

Very comfortable and comforting............. set up

Got a Don Hume 726 coming for my standard 3913 I'm looking forward to for OWB carry w/ thumb-break.... at the cabin or lake.

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 11-19-2020 at 11:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #3  
Old 11-19-2020, 02:55 PM
ElectroMotive ElectroMotive is online now
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: North-Central Texas
Posts: 192
Likes: 30
Liked 72 Times in 39 Posts
Default

I really like my 3913 and its stable companion, the 3953. I am actually not sure which I like better.

I'd really like to shoot a 3904/6 to see, hear, and feel what all the fuss is about. It does seem to address the one issue I have with my 3913 and 3953, the grip length is a little too short.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #4  
Old 11-19-2020, 05:17 PM
Rock185's Avatar
Rock185 Rock185 is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Under the Tonto Rim
Posts: 1,270
Likes: 9,771
Liked 1,739 Times in 657 Posts
Thumbs up

I purchased mine LNIB somewhere over 10 years ago. It has been dependable, my #1 criteria, with any and all of the many types of factory ammo used. Mine was a second weapon before I retired, now a CCW. Just fine little pistols overall IMHO.
Attached Thumbnails
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.-3913-800x600-jpg  
__________________
NRA Life, COTEP 640
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #5  
Old 11-19-2020, 06:06 PM
washerman washerman is offline
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: menomonie wisconsin
Posts: 232
Likes: 539
Liked 375 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
I am blessed to have the best job in the world, again. I was rehired as an instructor by the new owners of the local public indoor range. I can't believe they pay me to do it.

And I get to shoot, a lot, everyday, teaching others how to. So I also get to shoot a lot of different guns as well. And on days where I am not instructing, I work the range and counter. Sometimes customers will ask us to shoot their guns to check for a percieved deficiency. I get a lot of shooting in.

And I always keep a couple of different guns in my range bag for customers who want to try different types of pistols. The 3914NL, CS9, 4516, 457 and others are often with me.

A month or so ago I took my early production, flash chromed hammer and trigger, 3913 out of storage and cleaned and lubed it. I purchased it on Black Friday at the local Gander mountain almost two decades ago, with my late father. I used it as my off duty/court gun, till we went to 45s. Then it got stored, for that and sentimental reasons.

I took it back out of storage, primarily because it is a great teaching pistol. Soft shooting, reliable, light weight and "perfect" size, for everybody. And customers love it. It makes them feel comfortable and builds confidence quickly. Everyone of them is shocked when I tell them it is out of print. Hey, s&w, back in my former career we called that a clue.

Anyways, yesterday I had 30 minutes between lessons and decided to shoot a little, for fun. I loaded up the 3913 and put up some 2 inch circle targets to shoot "dot drills". And I was stunned as the 3913 put every round inside the 2 inch circles. Out to 15 yards. Round after round going into the circles. Some on top of others. With cheap (back in March when I bought it!)124 grain S&B ball!

I had forgotten how good the 3913 shoots. I always have thought it was one of, if not THE best pistols S&W ever made (after stealing the design and features from Paris Theodore and Charlie Kelsey ) and it is, IMO, the finest 9mm carry gun made, by anyone. To date.

But I have not been shooting it. Only watching others shoot it. And I have not carried it recently. That is going to change. I broke out all my Ken Null and Don Hume leather, from back in the day last night. Found some 147 grain RA9T too. And the 3913 is back in my holster today. It is probably going to be found there, often, going forward. Simply a "perfect" carry gun, for me. Regards 18DAI
Why is the 3913 a better carry than a CS9? capacity?
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 11-19-2020, 06:17 PM
opaul's Avatar
opaul opaul is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Central NC
Posts: 2,248
Likes: 6,745
Liked 5,061 Times in 1,018 Posts
Default

I have always wanted a 3913 but I haven't been able to secure one, but I did find a 3914 that has been a great companion.
__________________
T&P 2016-2024 and Beyond!!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #7  
Old 11-19-2020, 06:41 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is online now
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 5,609
Likes: 18,929
Liked 10,297 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default

washerman - I have a CS9, two actually and they are EXCELLENT 9mm carry guns. I carry one all summer and on occasions I "can't have a gun". I wouldn't part with them.

IMO, what makes the 3913 better, is that it has a little more length and a bit more heft. Easier to point and shoot well, for me. Not that much harder to conceal or carry than a CS9. And one extra round, for those that matters to.

opaul - regarding the 3914, same church, different pew. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 11-19-2020, 06:50 PM
Ozark Marine Ozark Marine is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 2,369
Likes: 15,694
Liked 5,208 Times in 1,616 Posts
Default

Reading this thread reminded me I have a 3913 LS in the safe I've never fired.
If your still looking opaul I could be talked into letting it go.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #9  
Old 11-19-2020, 06:53 PM
Jeppo's Avatar
Jeppo Jeppo is offline
SWCA Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Davidson County, NC
Posts: 1,641
Likes: 4,653
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,078 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozark Marine View Post
Reading this thread reminded me I have a 3913 LS in the safe I've never fired.
If your still looking opaul I could be talked into letting it go.
In case hes not, Id be interested in discussing it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #10  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:37 PM
Miami_JBT's Avatar
Miami_JBT Miami_JBT is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Panhandle of Florida
Posts: 527
Likes: 5
Liked 1,498 Times in 260 Posts
Default

I sure love mine.



It was a police trade in. Got it at Lou's Police Supply in Hialeah, FL back at the start of the previous decade. Paid $125 for it. It hasn't skipped a beat. Shots nice, handles real well, and is comfortable to carry.

But I just dug out my Beretta 92FS Centurion from the back of the safe and I remembered why I sold my 5926, 59, and 5906.... the Beretta is just that nice of a gun. It is just about perfect for a duty size 9mm DA/SA gun. But the 3913 and 6906 are just fantastic compact pistols. Something that Beretta couldn't do with their design. Even the 92FS Type M was a thick and bulky gun for a single stack.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #11  
Old 11-19-2020, 11:56 PM
growr growr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Montana
Posts: 4,312
Likes: 2,509
Liked 4,138 Times in 1,536 Posts
Default

3913............yeah it's THAT good!!!

all hail the king of CCW.............

Randy
Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Like Post:
  #12  
Old 11-20-2020, 04:26 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is online now
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 5,609
Likes: 18,929
Liked 10,297 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default

Amen brother growr! I'm a witness!

Miami_JBT mine is identical to yours in the pic.

Since thread drift, in my threads, is not only 18DAI approved, but encouraged - and the 3913NL models as well as the CS9 have been mentioned, allow me to drift this topic a bit.

I had to run some errands this afternoon and it is a bit warmer today. The CS9s are cleaned and in storage for the winter. I had the 3913 apart to clean it after shooting it this week, so I opened the "dirty gun drawer" and picked up the 3914NL. Back when I was still a young man and working investigations, I could not go to sleep with a dirty gun in the house. I had to clean them after using them.

Now, decades older and semi retired......I clean the guns when I get around to it. I am fortunate to have enough guns where finding a cleaned and lubed pistol to put in my holster is never an issue. And today, even though the 3914NL was a little dirty from running a few mags through it, I had no doubt it would function, reliably as it always has.

So in the holster it went and I carried it around town this afternoon. And as I did so, I realized that the factory OEM grip, with a rubber grip sleeve over it, combined with the single sided safety/deocker (which I only use as a decocker) makes the NL models carry/conceal even better than all the other 39XX series guns - including the CS9, for me.

Keep in mind I am left handed so the single side safety/decocker is away from my side when holstered. And as I gained weight from sitting around for 6 months after I quit working at the Godforsaken gun shop during the Wuhan plague....and being old, IWB carry is not as comfortable for me as when I was young and fit.

My 3913 wears Hogue rubber grips, like the one in the photo above. It fits my hand as if made for it. And that contributes to the ease of accurately shooting that pistol. The factory OEMs, being thinner, which are on my 3914NL make a good grip while shooting somewhat more difficult. So I installed the textured rubber grip sleeve to help anchor it in my hand better. But I still don't shoot the 3914NL anywhere near as well as I do the 3913.

I think after...if, the current stupidity ends in the gun market, I am going to try to locate a clean 3913NL. So I can put my 3913 back up and won't have the rust issues with the carbon steel slide of the 3914NL. Yes, if not wiped down, every couple of days with 3 in 1 oil, my 3914NL gets surface rust. I think the screwed up the steel and carbon content mix in the batch of slides that my serial number fell in. Got to keep up on maintenance to avoid that problem.

But, that is the ONLY issue with that gun. And all the good about it FAR exceeds that one small problem. Great pistol. Yea, if I was only going to have one 9mm carry gun, a 3913NL model would be the best all around choice. For me. Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Like Post:
  #13  
Old 11-20-2020, 05:05 PM
st regis st regis is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Georgia
Posts: 584
Likes: 92
Liked 278 Times in 95 Posts
Default

I scored a like new 3913 on THE OUTDOORS TRADER here in GA. Met up with the fellow; turns out he was a retired Trooper and we knew lots of folks in common. I got a NIB 908 mag and fit the sleeve on the bottom. That's the mag I keep in it.

Last edited by st regis; 11-20-2020 at 05:06 PM. Reason: more info
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #14  
Old 11-20-2020, 07:10 PM
Miami_JBT's Avatar
Miami_JBT Miami_JBT is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Panhandle of Florida
Posts: 527
Likes: 5
Liked 1,498 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
Amen brother growr! I'm a witness!

Miami_JBT mine is identical to yours in the pic.

Since thread drift, in my threads, is not only 18DAI approved, but encouraged - and the 3913NL models as well as the CS9 have been mentioned, allow me to drift this topic a bit.

I had to run some errands this afternoon and it is a bit warmer today. The CS9s are cleaned and in storage for the winter. I had the 3913 apart to clean it after shooting it this week, so I opened the "dirty gun drawer" and picked up the 3914NL. Back when I was still a young man and working investigations, I could not go to sleep with a dirty gun in the house. I had to clean them after using them.

Now, decades older and semi retired......I clean the guns when I get around to it. I am fortunate to have enough guns where finding a cleaned and lubed pistol to put in my holster is never an issue. And today, even though the 3914NL was a little dirty from running a few mags through it, I had no doubt it would function, reliably as it always has.

So in the holster it went and I carried it around town this afternoon. And as I did so, I realized that the factory OEM grip, with a rubber grip sleeve over it, combined with the single sided safety/deocker (which I only use as a decocker) makes the NL models carry/conceal even better than all the other 39XX series guns - including the CS9, for me.

Keep in mind I am left handed so the single side safety/decocker is away from my side when holstered. And as I gained weight from sitting around for 6 months after I quit working at the Godforsaken gun shop during the Wuhan plague....and being old, IWB carry is not as comfortable for me as when I was young and fit.

My 3913 wears Hogue rubber grips, like the one in the photo above. It fits my hand as if made for it. And that contributes to the ease of accurately shooting that pistol. The factory OEMs, being thinner, which are on my 3914NL make a good grip while shooting somewhat more difficult. So I installed the textured rubber grip sleeve to help anchor it in my hand better. But I still don't shoot the 3914NL anywhere near as well as I do the 3913.

I think after...if, the current stupidity ends in the gun market, I am going to try to locate a clean 3913NL. So I can put my 3913 back up and won't have the rust issues with the carbon steel slide of the 3914NL. Yes, if not wiped down, every couple of days with 3 in 1 oil, my 3914NL gets surface rust. I think the screwed up the steel and carbon content mix in the batch of slides that my serial number fell in. Got to keep up on maintenance to avoid that problem.

But, that is the ONLY issue with that gun. And all the good about it FAR exceeds that one small problem. Great pistol. Yea, if I was only going to have one 9mm carry gun, a 3913NL model would be the best all around choice. For me. Regards 18DAI
I kinda have a similar situation, except mine is with a 4040PD.



It has a similar profile to the LS/NL guns but in .40 S&W.

Yeah, the Carbon Slide is known to get a bit scruffy and grow a five o'clock shadow if I don't wipe her down. Same with the P239, also in .40 S&W of course.

I'm a righty, so the safety/decocker always pokes me. But I understand having the extra padding around the middle. Spent the last five years pushing a desk instead of a marked unit as a detective. Since I've hanged up the badge, it has gotten a bit worse due to COVID-19. Well, my fatness is gonna get in shape soon enough since I figured I can't stay away from the badge for long. I put in for a Reserve slot with a local agency. So I have to fit back into a duty belt and uniform.

Oh well.... nice thing is they have a pretty liberal firearms policy. Gonna qual with the WVSP 4566TSW as my duty gun. Spoke with Safariland, they still make the holster that WVSP used. So I can carry with a weapon light.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #15  
Old 11-20-2020, 09:07 PM
18DAI's Avatar
18DAI 18DAI is online now
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: GSO NC
Posts: 5,609
Likes: 18,929
Liked 10,297 Times in 2,369 Posts
Default

So, are Congrats or Condolences in order Miami_JBT ?

The WVSP 4566TSW is a VERY nice duty gun! The 4040PD would be a fine back up or off duty too.

Nice that an agency realizes that choice is good. Stay safe! Regards 18DAI
__________________
8 + 1 rounds of hope & change.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-20-2020, 10:21 PM
Miami_JBT's Avatar
Miami_JBT Miami_JBT is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Panhandle of Florida
Posts: 527
Likes: 5
Liked 1,498 Times in 260 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
So, are Congrats or Condolences in order Miami_JBT ?

The WVSP 4566TSW is a VERY nice duty gun! The 4040PD would be a fine back up or off duty too.

Nice that an agency realizes that choice is good. Stay safe! Regards 18DAI
Wife says I have to get out of the house. Something about forming a symbiotic relationship with the recliner and the remote starting to graft to my hand.

Keeps my cert active, I can work off duties for fun money, and if needed due to unforeseen circumstances I can go back fulltime to support the family.

Yeah, the 4566 is a nice gun. I'll mostly be using my G17 but I'm going to qual with the 4566 so when I'm feeling frisky I can be different and show off at the range when the younger just graduated the academy hires what a duty gun was before the age of plastic fantastic completely took over.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #17  
Old 11-21-2020, 01:23 AM
nocents's Avatar
nocents nocents is offline
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: s.w.Ohio
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 3,636
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,128 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18DAI View Post
................................... Yea, if I was only going to have one 9mm carry gun, a 3913NL model would be the best all around choice. For me. Regards 18DAI
............I feel ya brother.......it's akin to a security blanket ...................
__________________
witty signature goes here
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
  #18  
Old 11-21-2020, 01:43 AM
nocents's Avatar
nocents nocents is offline
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: s.w.Ohio
Posts: 1,881
Likes: 3,636
Liked 2,583 Times in 1,128 Posts
Default

..................and with my giant paw the 6906 is a close second with 7 more rounds ...........
__________________
witty signature goes here
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #19  
Old 11-21-2020, 01:56 AM
reccpd101's Avatar
reccpd101 reccpd101 is offline
SWCA Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 489
Likes: 829
Liked 629 Times in 248 Posts
Default

I played mix and match with my 3913 and put a longer slide on it. I carried it a lot in a IWB Leather Arsenal holster made for a 5906. The longer sight radius helps with my old eyes. I agree it is a very dependable auto, probably the best CCW auto Smith ever made, even so I still carry a J frame BUG. The long slide 3913 is on the lower right corner. The upper right corner is my single stack 4013.
Attached Thumbnails
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.-20-02-18-4-retired-le-s-w-autos-jpg  
__________________
SWCA 3417 HF 642 NRA-TC

Last edited by reccpd101; 11-21-2020 at 02:06 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Like Post:
  #20  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:46 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 327
Liked 16,211 Times in 7,261 Posts
Default

I don't mess with "perfection"..... aka..... the 3913/14/NL

If you're going to mix and match 3rd Gen parts.....might I suggest you build yourself a 6915....... my answer to the 80s Colt CCO.

6906 frame mated to a 915 barrel and slide..... Gives you that longer sight radius you want and is 12+1. IMHO , after 30 years of doing it, the butt of a 6906 is no harder to conceal than the 3913's. I've got two. One I built and one I got from Squidsix. One with front night sight and the other with fiber optic front sight.

I noticed that some of you are now using the Hogue rubber grips..... FWIW I find the Hogue checkered wood grips don't grab on the cover garment as much and don't add any bulk. And while we carry concealed the wood adds a real touch of class;especially to the 3913NLs and 3914s!!

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 11-21-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #21  
Old 11-21-2020, 08:49 AM
BAM-BAM BAM-BAM is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: A Burb of the Burgh
Posts: 12,571
Likes: 327
Liked 16,211 Times in 7,261 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by nocents View Post
............I feel ya brother.......it's akin to a security blanket ...................

I see you got one of the flush fit 7rd magazines.

LOL Bond went to an ASP in the Books.... that^^^^^ would be the prefect gun for the movies!!!!!!

Last edited by BAM-BAM; 11-21-2020 at 08:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Like Post:
  #22  
Old 11-21-2020, 09:48 AM
Ozark Marine Ozark Marine is offline
US Veteran
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: SW Missouri
Posts: 2,369
Likes: 15,694
Liked 5,208 Times in 1,616 Posts
Default

Jeppo if you want pics I can email them.
Your PM box is full.

beerlvr9mm@gmail.com
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #23  
Old 11-21-2020, 12:38 PM
reccpd101's Avatar
reccpd101 reccpd101 is offline
SWCA Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 489
Likes: 829
Liked 629 Times in 248 Posts
Default

BAM BAM

I have small hands. The 6906 doesn't fit my hand. I made one up before the 5906/3913. I couldn't shoot it nearly as well so I reassembled the original 6906 and 915 and sold them.
__________________
SWCA 3417 HF 642 NRA-TC
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #24  
Old 11-21-2020, 06:31 PM
Fastbolt's Avatar
Fastbolt Fastbolt is offline
Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: CA Central Coast
Posts: 4,408
Likes: 813
Liked 5,795 Times in 1,966 Posts
Default

Yep, it only takes a range session to refresh the reason of why a 3913 is such a great single stack compact.

I've been carrying my original 3913 recently, after finally getting around to cleaning it from my last range session.

I installed the optional spring-loaded decock-only assembly in mine. For some mysterious reason my slide came machined for it, back when it was a new option only being offered to LE and the machining was only done at the Performance Center. When I called to order the decock-only assembly, nobody with whom I spoke on the phone could explain why my slide had had the machining done. Best guess I was given was maybe the PC had modified the slide for a special order or some project, but then it was canceled and the machined slide was sent back over to Production and just ended up in the 3913 I ordered.

I've gone through some different sights on mine, including the discontinued Novak Ghost rear sight, but the factory (Trijicon) nights I last installed are old enough to have finally gone completely dark. Before my last range session I dabbed some bright neon orange nail polish in round circle making up the front night sight, and it really helped the front sight to stand out to my senior citizen eyes. Similar to the way the big orange front ring of the Ameriglo Agent Pro NS catches my eyes on my G27.

While I have a couple other holsters for my 3913, I still prefer my old Hume H726 semi-open breakfront belt scabbard. I used it for my issued 6906's, as well my 3913, CS9 and 4040PD. (I have models of the holster for my 4013TSW, 4513TSW, 3913TSW (railed, late production), CS45 and a couple other brands of guns.

I've used that first 3913 for enough years on our range for me to have replaced the recoil spring a few times, and I forget how many magazine springs. Our previous duty ammunition has included assorted 147gr standard pressure loads, as well as a couple 124gr +P loads and the W-W 127gr +P+ RA9SXTP and RA9TA (different vintages). I replaced the recoil spring more often when using the +P and +P+ loads.

While I have Hogue rubber grip stocks on my 3913 (at present), I still run the factory grip on the 3913TSW. No particular reason, and both types of grips have their pro's & con's.

Matter of fact, today I'm going to belt on that original Hume leather scabbard and carry my 3913, loaded with 127gr +P+, as I go out for the afternoon.

One of the best 9's S&W ever produced, and among the all-time best compact, metal-framed defensive single stacks ever made. In my opinion, anyway.
__________________
Ret LE Firearms inst & armorer
Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Like Post:
  #25  
Old 11-21-2020, 07:01 PM
Jeppo's Avatar
Jeppo Jeppo is offline
SWCA Member
I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is. I had forgotten how good a 3913 really is.  
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Davidson County, NC
Posts: 1,641
Likes: 4,653
Liked 2,881 Times in 1,078 Posts
Talking I been thinkin'

This discussion has gotten me going. Given the amazingly warm weather here, I believe I will break out my 3914DAO and give 'er a run tomorrow.
Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Like Post:
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Today Is Good Day, 4516-2 and 3913 ElectroMotive Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 3 11-25-2018 09:54 PM
ProMag for 3913 any good? G-Mac Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 18 04-28-2014 08:36 PM
3913 trade good or bad? perfectcircle1 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 18 05-14-2012 03:34 PM
Good price on 3913? cobra357 Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 3 03-22-2011 07:42 PM
Is this a good price for a 3913 TSW? f8 crusader Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols 8 08-11-2010 10:40 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:25 AM.


Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO v2.0.42 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)