Smith & Wesson Forum

Go Back   Smith & Wesson Forum > Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols > Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols
GenBiz

Notices

Smith & Wesson Semi-Auto Pistols Other Smith & Wesson Semi-Automatic Pistols from the 1950's to Present


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-24-2022, 09:39 AM
dconroy dconroy is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default S&W 422

I picked up a S&W 422 field model with a 6 inch barrel. The 422 has always been of interest to me.

The frame is cracked on the left side at the base of the trigger guard, I think the barrel nut was over tightened. Other wise it appears to be is good shape.

Anyone know where I might find a used frame or have an idea if the frame could be repaired?

Thanks , Dan
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-26-2022, 08:45 AM
shoot summ shoot summ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 239
Likes: 67
Liked 189 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dconroy View Post
I picked up a S&W 422 field model with a 6 inch barrel. The 422 has always been of interest to me.

The frame is cracked on the left side at the base of the trigger guard, I think the barrel nut was over tightened. Other wise it appears to be is good shape.

Anyone know where I might find a used frame or have an idea if the frame could be repaired?

Thanks , Dan
That is odd, do you have any pics? A replacement frame would come in the form of another gun unless you just found a pistol that had undergone some sort of damage to the other components. Parts kits(destroyed pistols) show up all of the time on the auction sites, but they don't include the frame as that is how they are "destroyed". It might be possible to have it welded, I did have some welding done on the muzzle of a project pistol I have with no issues.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-26-2022, 09:13 AM
s&wchad's Avatar
s&wchad s&wchad is offline
Moderator
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes State
Posts: 25,985
Likes: 9,889
Liked 25,213 Times in 5,625 Posts
Default

Iíd contact S&W and first have them look up the serial number and see when it was made. The 422 came out in 1987 and was discontinued in 1996. S&Wís ďLifetime Service PolicyĒ covers guns made after February of 1989, so thereís a good chance yourís is covered.

If it is covered, have them send you a prepaid shipping label. I donít know if frames are available, but itís worth a shot.
__________________
"I also cook."
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-26-2022, 10:30 AM
dconroy dconroy is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: May 2022
Posts: 4
Likes: 0
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Thank you all for the help, D
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #5  
Old 05-26-2022, 12:45 PM
GeoJelly GeoJelly is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,274
Likes: 4,666
Liked 1,203 Times in 519 Posts
Default

Hmm - does your frame look like this on the left side? Those are not cracks, it has a side plate Ö
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 11A142B8-42DF-4816-920B-2A9E9C4CCBB7.jpg (52.4 KB, 69 views)
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #6  
Old 05-26-2022, 02:01 PM
edubbie's Avatar
edubbie edubbie is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Upstate SC
Posts: 178
Likes: 123
Liked 133 Times in 74 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoJelly View Post
Hmm - does your frame look like this on the left side? Those are not cracks, it has a side plate Ö
GeoJelly is correct. It may look like cracks but mine has the same lines for the plate.
__________________
Shield 45, SW40VE, 586, 1000
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-26-2022, 02:07 PM
Sevens Sevens is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Ohio
Posts: 6,969
Likes: 7,829
Liked 12,637 Times in 4,374 Posts
Default

If it truly is cracked...

I would be way beyond SHOCKED if S&W has frames on hand.

If they offer you a S&W Victory, I would run the other direction.

Failing that, I would accept their S&W Victory and sell that sucker without sending a single shot through it.
Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Like Post:
  #8  
Old 05-26-2022, 02:52 PM
DMcBB DMcBB is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Beautiful Scenic NJ
Posts: 243
Likes: 585
Liked 325 Times in 128 Posts
Default

422 was discontinued in 1996. It’s 2022. There’s no way they have spare frames after 26 years.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #9  
Old 05-26-2022, 03:29 PM
s&wchad's Avatar
s&wchad s&wchad is offline
Moderator
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes State
Posts: 25,985
Likes: 9,889
Liked 25,213 Times in 5,625 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcBB View Post
422 was discontinued in 1996. Itís 2022. Thereís no way they have spare frames after 26 years.
I had a PC 625-10 and the frame cracked. I sent it back to S&W and they didnít have any replacement frames available, so they offered me any PC gun they had in stock. I chose a 945-1 and am very happy with it.

A member of our antique arms club had a 625-10 for sale on his table a couple years ago. I checked it out and it had a cracked frame too. I told him about my experience, he contacted S&W and sent it in. They replaced it with a PC 1911.

The PC 625-10ís were made about 20 years ago. Just because they donít have parts, doesnít mean they wonít honor their service policy. Itís certainly worth asking.

Itís worth contacting them.
__________________
"I also cook."

Last edited by s&wchad; 05-26-2022 at 03:30 PM.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Likes This Post:
  #10  
Old 06-28-2022, 10:09 AM
shoot summ shoot summ is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 239
Likes: 67
Liked 189 Times in 103 Posts
Default

Curious what the outcome was on this?
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 06-28-2022, 12:23 PM
Drm50 Drm50 is offline
Member
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Monroe cnty. Ohio
Posts: 6,006
Likes: 4,041
Liked 8,700 Times in 3,226 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&wchad View Post
I had a PC 625-10 and the frame cracked. I sent it back to S&W and they didnít have any replacement frames available, so they offered me any PC gun they had in stock. I chose a 945-1 and am very happy with it.

A member of our antique arms club had a 625-10 for sale on his table a couple years ago. I checked it out and it had a cracked frame too. I told him about my experience, he contacted S&W and sent it in. They replaced it with a PC 1911.

The PC 625-10ís were made about 20 years ago. Just because they donít have parts, doesnít mean they wonít honor their service policy. Itís certainly worth asking.

Itís worth contacting them.
Where was location of crack on 625-10? Weíre both cracked in same place?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 06-28-2022, 04:04 PM
s&wchad's Avatar
s&wchad s&wchad is offline
Moderator
S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422 S&W 422  
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Great Lakes State
Posts: 25,985
Likes: 9,889
Liked 25,213 Times in 5,625 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drm50 View Post
Where was location of crack on 625-10? Weíre both cracked in same place?
Yup, same exact place. I always inspect this area closely when considering the purchase of an alloy frame S&W revolver. I've seen more than a handful in person, some dating back to the 60's. I've seen a lot more posted here...

S&W 422-000_4291-jpg

S&W 422-000_4296-jpg
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 000_4291.jpg (82.7 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg 000_4296.jpg (96.2 KB, 205 views)
__________________
"I also cook."
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
smith-wessonforum.com tested by Norton Internet Security smith-wessonforum.com tested by McAfee Internet Security

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Smith-WessonForum.com is not affiliated with Smith & Wesson Holding Corporation (NASDAQ Global Select: SWHC)