View Single Post

Old 07-11-2009, 08:10 PM

Liked 18,285 Times in 2,547 Posts
Default Model 29 .44 Mag. with vintage holsters,interesting Berns-Martin story

Re: a recent thread asking about pre M 29 holsters,I spent some time this morning digging out some examples. The 2 Berns-Martin rigs have interesting histories-I obtained them from the Elberton, Georgia businessman who bought Berns-Martin from John Martin(Jack Berns was deceased by then) & moved the company from Calhoun City, Ms. to Elberton, Ga. The carved Buscadero rig was probably the last holster rig made by the original owners & it was the 1st rig made in the new location.A 2001 letter to me from the Georgia businessman stated "Among the holsters you acquired (is) a basketweave gun belt & holster custom made for the .44 Magnum 6 1/2" barrel.This holster was my 1st insight to the Berns-Martin Company. I was so excited as to the quality of the rig I contacted the owners, Messrs. Martin & Criswell of Calhoun City, Mississippi. Both of the gentlemen were up in age. I flew down to Calhoun City & agreed to purchase the company based on Mr. Criswell coming to Elberton to show our people how to make the holster. The 2 finest additions I had were the Floral Carved Buscadero .357 Magnum custom for the M 27 revolver; the other 1 was of the same quality, tailored for the 6 1/2" .44 Magnum. Actually I placed the order for these 2 Buscaderos in Calhoun City;the custom work for me had begun & I believe Mr. Criswell finished the work while in Elberton." I have both rigs-the Model 27 rig is stamped Calhoun City,Ms. & the .44 Magnum rig is stamped Elberton, Ga.
The 1st photo shows my 4" 29-2 in a Calhoun City,Ms. Berns-Martin Speed holster-I believe this holster would qualify as a pre-model 29 holster.The basketweave rig is also stamped Calhoun City;the company changed hands in the early 1960's so there's a good chance this qualifies as a pre-29 holster rig as well.The 2 Lawrence flap holsters are for 6 1/2" & 8 3/8" model 29 or model 57 revolvers (size code 535)& are probably 1960-70's production.The last 3 holsters are all Lawrence holsters for the model 29 with a 6 1/2" barrel,size code 534;these were probably made in the early to mid 1960's.The three digit Lawrence size code was 1st used in the early 1960's.All 3 holsters were models that had been in Lawrence's line for years. The last photo shows the sewn in sight protectors in the models 150LRS & 140 LFSC holsters.
Regards,
turnerriver
John Witty
SWCA # 1426
NRA Endowment Life member

Last edited by turnerriver; 07-12-2009 at 08:12 PM.
The Following 14 Users Like Post: