View Single Post

Old 07-13-2009, 03:39 PM

Liked 520 Times in 264 Posts
Default Personal touch needed!

Barb...

I must say, that in this case you may have been a bit...let us say jaded, for lack of a better word.

Clearly, the firearm that was tried didn't fit your hand very well and was definitely not what you were used to handling and shooting.

However, a touch of "Barb-ism" applied somewhat sparingly to such a firearm would equal a much different experience than what you experienced.

First of all, Herrett Stocks has some limited offerings for the Ruger and Colt such the Single Action Trooper and the Roper- both extend below the grip frame of the gun, and also fill in the part between the back of the triggerguard and the grip frame. This would make for much more comfortable shooting and make the grip wider and easier recoiling. Just draw a tracing and send it in with the order of your grips!

Another thing that has got to go is that little tiny ejector rod- give it a bull's eye ejector! Much faster reloading that way. I personally can't use factory Ruger sights- replace them with anything such as a bead, fiber optic, red ramp etc.!

The grips, I'd say was probably the stickiest point of your experience.

Another option is the Bisley model grip frame, which is my personal favorite. Or get a gunsmith to fit an "Army" grip frame, which is longer and contoured differently than that of an Colt SAA, Ruger or Spaghetti clone.

Find yourself a Ruger Bisley in .22LR (if you can find one) and have the throat cut correctly, and you'd have a great introduction to the single action field and a great plinker.

Herrett Stocks:
Gun stocks available

Ruger Bisleys (rimfires now discontinued though):
http://www****ger-firearms.com/Firear...l=447&return=Y

Last edited by Andy Griffith; 07-13-2009 at 04:02 PM.