View Single Post

Old 07-16-2009, 06:09 AM
SWCA Member

Liked 47 Times in 27 Posts

It looks like someone did to your Model 57 what I've been thinking of doing to my 29-2. I hate red ramp front sights and white outline rear sights. I love the combination of the Patridge style front sight with the gold bead like those that come on the Model 627 and a lot of other guns from the Performance Center, and a standard black rear sight opened up so that you see lots of air on both sides of the front sight. The original red ramp front sight is pinned-in, so replacing it is no big deal for someone who knows what they are doing.

I had this same combination of front and rear sight put on my 4-inch 624. With the rear sight opened up about 0.02 inch, the gold bead on the front sight seems to jump out at you and makes it very fast to use, yet the flat-top of the Patridge allows for very accurate shot placement, when needed. It looks really nice too! Your Model 57 decked out the way it is makes it a far more useable handgun than it was as it came from the factory.

Everyone is right as to the addictiveness of the .41 Magnum. I have a 4 5/8" Ruger Blackhawk that I bought at a Sheriff's auction about 25 years ago. I shot my first elk with it, and the biggest badger I've ever seen. The 210 grain .41 Magnum bullet shot clean through it broadside! I've always had good luck with that gun every time I carry it. With target loads under a 220 grain cast bullet my Ruger will regularly shoot sub 2-inch groups at 25 yards. I once shot an amazingly small group with six rounds of the same load at 25 yards. My buddy said I should keep the target and hang it in my reloading room. He was shocked when I sat down and began to shoot another 6-rounds into the same target, and even more shocked when the second six rounds didn't open up the group one bit! (At that point I quit while I was ahead. I saved that target for many years, but I had a brain-fart and tossed it out when we moved from Sitka to Juneau.)