View Single Post

Old 07-23-2009, 05:35 PM

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

I have never used 180 grainers for hunting but I have used the 210 gr. Remington SJHP and the Remington 240 gr SJHP. The 210's seemed to blow up on rib shots and the lungs looked like they were hit with a shotgun. I wouldn't depend on the 210's to penetrate much bone and I think the 180's would be the same with lack of penetration on some shots. The 240's on the other hand work well and expand to over 50 cal when I can recover them but almost always penetrate completely on rib shots quartering and straight on side shots. With my TC Contender I have taken deer as far away as 120 yards with the 44 mag and the Remington 240gr SJHP and as close as 10 feet. At either distance this round from Remington has worked flawlessly and to my complete satifaction. Accuracy with the 240 grainers has also been better than any 180 gr or 210 grain bullet and I have never had a deer move more that about 50 yards after getting hit with the 240 gr SJHP with a blood trail a blind person could follow.

Not exactly the answer to your question about 180 grain XTP but I hope you can use the info to help you select the bullet that will work best for you. I have used handguns in 41 mag, 44 mag, 45 Colt and the 38 Special (with a 200 grain RN and shot a deer at 5 feet w/ S&W Model 60) to take deer. They all have worked but none as consistently as the 240 grain in the 44 for all types of shots and under all conditions.

Kirmdog