View Single Post

Old 07-26-2009, 02:12 PM
US Veteran
SWCA Founding Member
Absent Comrade

Liked 6,883 Times in 2,796 Posts

Dan, As you know, you & I talked on the phone about this gun when it walked into the show yesterday and you were looking at it. Being the nice guy I am, I didn't suggest that you immediately pull that gold plated horseshow out of you patootie and kiss it, but I was thinking that! You said it was a .22 Masterpiece, but didn't tell me it was a 2nd Model, which is rare enough w/o any of Benno's scratchings on it! Steve has some good points regarding timing of what might have been done at the factory and until we can get our hands on the work order/invoice for the gun, we can only guess at what was done. S&W would & did install King parts on guns and a customer's requests, and would also ship guns to King for the installations. As Don mentioned in his early earlier posting, I was acquainted with Benno, and during his time in Bridgeport I visited his shop there whenever deer season was open and we made the trek from So, Calif. to the area for the trophy size Bucks there. You might also enjoy the story behing Don's RM#1234. It was found right under your nose in Tucson by an eastern visitor a few years ago! He took in back east and contacted me about the possible origin of the gun's engraving, etc. It had a set of beautifully carved grips some one had applied earlier, maybe Benno, as the grip carving and the gun's engraving were complimentary. I was at a Tucson gunshow shortly before I heard from the new owner of #1234 and had picked up a pair of mint N frame service grips, with the serial number on the back of the right grip panel. I call Jinks and asked him if that serial # was a HD or a RM. Bingo! It was for RM # 1234 ! And guess what? The new owner of RM 1234 didn't want them! He said they would not look right on the gun, due to the after market engraving not matching service style grips, which I can understand. Now your problem is to find a nice pair of matching BBQ grips for your new gun. If that is too frustrating, just ship me the gun & I'll refund the couple $100 you had to shell out for it! Ed (PS: Let me know when you are coming by Clem's - maybe I can squeeze in a trip there.)