View Single Post

Old 08-02-2009, 05:56 PM
US Veteran

Liked 18,846 Times in 4,821 Posts
Default Modern Masterpieces

I think just about anybody with even a passing knowledge of Smith & Wessons is familar with the K Masterpiece revolvers. K-22s, K-32s and K-38s dominated the Bullseye ranges for many years and are still highly desirable revolvers.
I always wanted one of each. I have managed to acquire a 1956 K-38. A bit finish challanged, but still a good shooter.
I also have a Model 17-5. One of my favorite shooters.
Unfortunately the K-32 eluded me. They're few and far between and darned expensive when they are found. Way outside of my meager budget.

Back in the late 80s and early 90s S&W started to produce these guns with full lug barrels. I happen to like the full lug guns. The look and the feel just work for me. They're great shooters too.

My first was a Model 17-6 that I picked up about ten years ago. I actually bought this one by accident. I saw it on one of the auction sites right after it was posted. Now I didn't need it and frankly didn't need to be spending the money at the time. But I liked the way it looked and it appealed to me. So just on a whim, I put in the minimum bid fully expecting to get beaten out of it.
Seven days later the auction ended and I was the only bidder. Oops!
But the first time I took it to the range, I knew I had a keeper.

Next came the Model 16-4. From the time it was first introduced I had an interest in the .32 Magnum and thought it might be worthwhile to fool around with. It was just that I wasn't interested enough to go out and buy one right away. I had other priorities at the time. Next thing I knew, they were gone.
I guess it was about 4 or 5 years ago that I came across a NIB 6" Model 16-4. I had to give the then outrageous price of $600 for it, but I didn't want one to slip away from me again. Turned out to be good move. Just look at what they're selling for now.
These days I mostly shoot .32 Longs through it.

Just a couple of weeks ago I was able to add the final member to the trio. I found and bought a Model 14-5. Probably gave too much for it, but what the heck. These things just don't come up for sale very often. Scratch another item off my want list.
I've only had it out to the range once, but I got a feeling that me and this gun are going to have a long and happy relationship.

The Modern Masterpieces

Top: Model 17-6 .22 LR (1990)
Center: Model 16-4 .32 H&R Magnum (1989)
Bottom: Model 14-5 .38 Special (1993)

Yeah, I know the picture isn't very good. I had to run outside to snap it between rain showers. Besides, I'm not a very good photographer anyway.

And before anybody asks, yes I do have the original Combat stocks that these guns came with. I simply prefer the Targets for shooting. I never could figure out S&W's reasoning for putting Combat stocks on a target gun anyway. Makes no sense to me.

So, anybody else got one of these? Do you love 'em as much as I do?