Thread: M-1 Carbines
View Single Post

Old 08-03-2009, 08:42 PM
US Veteran

Liked 17 Times in 11 Posts

Here is mine. As you can see, the photo was from a "meal protection thread"!

About 2000, I purchased a Springfield Armory receiver from SA on Commercial Row at the Camp Perry National Matches.

SA was going to assemble carbines from GI parts, assemble them on their receivers and offer an upscale carbine.

The economics were just not there. Existing parts had gotten so expensive they abandoned their plans and just put the receivers on sale.

I purchased one for $65.00 and was a fool not to pick up at least a half a dozen. Within a couple of years I saw them selling for about $250.00!

I purchased "all new" GI parts, most from Fulton Armory, and found a beautiful stock at a Tulsa gunshow which the seller said came from Anniston Alabama where they were using them was fire wood on the Army post before they were "rescued".

I spent a considerable amount of time rubbing coats on tung oil into the stock, collected all the parts and then sent the receiver to Riverbank Armory in California for a barrel and to have it installed and headspaced.

Here is the complete gun. Looks like new, shoots like new, feels like new and even smells like new! I couldn't be happier.

Charlie

P.S. The steak was tasty too!

Last edited by Gutpile Charlie; 08-03-2009 at 08:46 PM.