Thread: 357 Wadcutters
View Single Post

Old 08-17-2009, 10:22 AM

Liked 12,731 Times in 2,419 Posts

m1gunner, you are apparently a genius, because that is the exact same load I have adopted for just about all my .38s. I bought a 3" Model 36-1 back in March, and adopted it as my all-round farm "kit gun." I was loading the wadcutters with 3 grains of Bullseye, but wanted something with a little more "oomph." I settled on the 4.7 grain Unique load because I have a dipper that throws that amount. Scientific, I know, but that is the way it turned out. I don't know what the dipper is advertised as throwing, but that is what it weighs out. I load the Unique round with the bullet crimped at the first crimp groove so I can easily distinguish it from the Bullseye load just by looking. I load the BE load flush.

The Unique load works well in all my S&Ws, and I have just about adopted it as a defensive load in the snubbys. I use the Georgia Arms bullets, too.

I traded for a P&R Model 19-4 at the show in Columbus Saturday. I took it out to the farm just before dark yesterday and gave it my exhaustive accuracy workout: bouncing coke cans using both the Weaver hold and traditional one-hand hold. Both the gun and the Unique load performed as expected. It is the first 6" .357 S&W I have owned in over 35 years, and it was refreshing to discover that the increased sight radius still makes a tremendous difference.

I traded for the Model 19 at a table down the wall to the extreme right of where you came in the door at the show. The guy had four or five nice S&W revolvers. I also traded in a nice Model-10-5 rb two-incher with box and papers for the 19.

Where in middle-Georgia are you located? If you draw a line from Atlanta to Albany, and another from Macon to Columbus, I am very close to where the lines intersect near Butler. Maybe we can get together for some plinking one day. I had hoped to meet some of y'all at the show, but missed out on that.