View Single Post

Old 08-20-2009, 09:37 AM

Liked 20 Times in 11 Posts
Default Reg. Mag Discovered by Accident!!!

This story starts back in 1995, I went to buy my first private purchase rifle. I went pick up my gun after a breif conversation with the owner, he invited me in an introduced himself and ask if I had time for a drink.Sure I said and had one of the most educating lessons on firearms, this gentleman took time with a 23 year old young man who had lots of ?. I said good by and never expected to see him again. 1996 I injured myself at work and to fill my time with something I could do I took up bullseye shooting, and I came across this fellow quit a bit.2002 I invited him to a local match, but he said he didn't have the right guns, I said do you have a 22 & a 38, he repied yes so he came to the tournament. I was a line officer and was checking the line and I observed a vey well made S&W 357 at his station, not really thinking to much about it.2005 my good friend passed away ,and the gunstore I helped out at was asked to sell his firearm collection. It took 4 full size trucks to haul back to the shop,a month later I noticed this S&W 357 still sitting in the safe, I asked the owner of the store if it was for sale, yes but its very nice so the estate needs to get the price of a new model 27.I bought the gun as it was my friends and beutifull!!! 2008 shotshow I attended my freind John encouraged me to talk to Roy Jinks, I stood to the side waiting for 10 min. when Roy excused himelf from the fellow he was talking to and ask (how can I help you)I introduced myself and told him about the gun I had but that I couldn't find his book in Canada for sale. Roy told me to come back in an hour, I came back and he said give me your bag, so I did (didn;t think he would steal all my gun cataloges!)he went away for about a minute and came back to give me my bag back, we conversed for a few more minutes then left. John said look in your bag, I opened it up and there was a brand new copy of Roys book on S&W history, what a gentleman.The book verified that I did have a RM, inside the book was a card from Roy saying I should send in for a factory letter.May 7, 2009 I recieved my letter giving day of shipping from factory as May 1,1935 almost 74 years to the day the gun left the factory. Gun details- barrell length 8-3/4",Partridge front sight, square notch rear sight, blue finish, and checkered walnut Magna grips with grip adapter, serial # 4577X, registration # 36. If your interested in pictures, Roy has a set I sent him with the request for the factory letter, with my permision to use the pictures as he wished. I hope this inspires others to not give up looking for these forgoten tresures! Dale in Canada
The Following 8 Users Like Post: