View Single Post

Old 08-30-2009, 09:17 AM
US Veteran

Liked 206 Times in 59 Posts
Thumbs up

I'm in! Wow am I impressed with the number of USAF folks on this forum. I was a Security Policeman from 69-73 and then OSI. I carried the M15 in SEA and later OSI issued us a M36, 3" because it was easier to hide than the 4" M15. The service loads were puny and I recall hardball bouncing back toward the firing line after hitting a knot on the support uprights! Later we carried a chopped .45, then the M9, and finally the Sig 228. I don't recall the price on the M15 but when I signed the hand receipt for my M36 in 1973 the value was $60. I have been trying to collect all the service guns I carried in my career and think I paid around $400 for date correct M15 and M36. That M15 is one of the sweetest shooting guns I have ever fired. (General LeMay was a shooter and he wanted a gun that his cops could hit with plus was easier to teach all the non-combat support and technical folks to defend themselves with. Interestingly LeMay favored a special model 45 for his aircrews but the USAF never bought that gun.) Later in civilian LE the M19 seemed a natural to me. If the factory wouldn't do a series I am sure somebody like Nutmeg Sports or Flannery engraving would engrave a series if there was enough interest. They would probably take orders and cash in advance. Another option might be to have some special grips made and put them on stock guns? Nutmeg Sports specializes in custom ivory grips, might be a place to look?
The Following 2 Users Like Post: