View Single Post

Old 09-01-2009, 12:22 PM

Liked 8,915 Times in 2,575 Posts

I'm sorry, M41: I just don't know. I suppose it would depend on how fast they traveled out of your gun (and, as we've seen on this thread, there can be quite a spread in how fast a given round will travel out of even the same model of autopistol). The concerns, of course, are that you want something that will function flawlessly in your gun and that will give accurate placement, and you don't want something that will overpenetrate or that won't penetrate sufficiently.

You know, the only time I've ever messed with greater-than-average-powered .380s were the Double Tap rounds that I mentioned up-thread. I can tell you that they did not function reliably in my SIG-Sauer P232 (not a real surprise: blowback guns are designed to function with rounds of a certain range of oomph, and these rounds were likely outside that range) or my friend's Kel-Tec P3AT (which surprised me, since it was a locked-breech gun). (This was a disappointment, as I'd spent a decent little chunk of cash on obtaining 100 rounds of the DT loading as soon as it was released.)

So, my first concern would be whether the various Buffalo Bore loads (definitely outside the mundane envelope of .380 performance) would function reliably in your gun. The second concern that would have to be addressed before I'd carry them is whether they would they be likely to overpenetrate out of your gun. Only if I were satisfied on the first two points would I worry about underpenetration.

The problem is that I just can't predict any of these things - sorry.