View Single Post

Old 09-02-2009, 01:13 PM
US Veteran

Liked 50,621 Times in 6,032 Posts

Alpo,

Yes, the white line spacer on my 69A was cut from a Clorox bottle, slightly oversize, and trimmed with a sharp knife. Good eye!

2000Z-71,

There isn't much written information today on the 69 series of Winchester rifles, but in collecting them, I've gleaned a little information here and there - here are the high points:

The original 69 rifle was first put on the market around 1935. It had a cocking knob much like the 1903 Springfield on the rear of the bolt, and cocked on closing.

The rifle was modified around 1937 to cock on opening, eliminating the cocking knob. The new bolt gave a very fast lock time, one of the best for rifles of that era, or any era for that matter. The gun remained essentially unchanged until it was discontinued around 1964.

Several different versions were offered. The standard grade had an open rear sight and a simple bead front sight. This is the model my father and I bought in 1950.

The Target model had a Winchester stamped peep sight and a ramp front sight which utilized a stamped sheet metal ramp which was removable.

The Match model was drilled and tapped for, and used commercial target micrometer sights and a front sight with removable inserts for target work. There was no provision for an open sight on the barrel (no dovetail cut there). It had sling swivels, as well. Sling swivels could be special ordered or installed on other models as well.

Somewhere in the mid 1950s, the receiver was grooved for tip-off scope mounts. These command a premium today on the used gun market. About this time, some of the guns were drilled and tapped for commercial micrometer sights.

Several different styles of stock were used over the years, differing in the width and length of the fore-end. Some were tapered forward at the nose (these were a bit shorter than the others). Some were thin and rounded at the nose, and some were very thick and rounded, like those seen on most target guns. Some were relieved around the area where the rear sight drilling and tapping was in place. All of the Winchester peep sights required this relief cut.

I modified the stock on my original rifle with a reverse "Weatherby style" cut, and worked on the comb and pistol grip a bit also. I shouldn't have done it, but it reflects my youthful zeal to tinker with things.

An outgrowth of the Model 69A was the Model 75 target rifle and Model 75 Sporter. Both have the same action as the Model 69A; the bolts are identical. I have a Model 75 sporter and it's the most accurate .22 I own. The barrel is shorter than the 25-inch barrel found on the 69A.

There was also a Model 72, which was essentially a Model 69A with an underbarrel tube feed. The bolts on these are a bit different to accomodate the different feed system.

There were several types of magazines. The standard mag fed five .22 LR, .22 long, and .22 shorts interchangeably. There was a five-shot.22 short mag also. The single shot mag (actually a grooved platform at the top of what appeared as a standard mag) was principally used for the Model 52 and Model 75 sporters, but it would also work in the 69A. A 10-shot curved magazine which projected below the stock was also made, and took all lengths of cartridges. Magazines with an underlined "W" on the base are modern non-Winchester reproductions. Genuine Winchester mags will have the company stamp on the base plate.

I have what may be the one and only Model 69A Deluxe. It was specially ordered by an old gentleman who lived near the Winchester factory in New Haven, CT. It has a pistol grip topped by a black plastic cap with the Winchester name on it, and has checkering on the forestock and the pistol grip. The finish on the stock is superb. It is grooved for scope mounts, no serial number except a "1" stamped on the right receiver opening rail. I have never heard of another, although some might exist. A collector bought the rifle from the old man's estate, and I bought it from him. It appears unfired. Its estimated date of manufacture is 1952. It has the standard open sights. It's sure not a "gunsmith project" but appears factory done in all respects.

The only problem I find with the 69A is the lack of an overtravel adjustment. The letoff is crisp, but there's a lot of overtravel. A trigger shoe with a limiting screw can solve that problem. Weight of pull is adjustable to some degree; there is a screw cap over the trigger spring that can be moved up and down to alter the pull weight. To get an even nicer pull in the 2-3 lb. range is possible with some gunsmithing, which I have done, but will not describe here, as the potential for a dangerous pull is there.

Some time in the mid 1950s, the bolt handle was changed from straight to swept back, somewhat like that on the Model 70 rifle. It looked nicer, but as the bolt handle was two-piece, the joint tended to loosen with use. This made the bolt handle wobbly. It can be fixed with staking or soldering. Some bolts had firing spring caps that were chrome plated, and some bolts had the handle plated as well. I find no pattern that is consistent with respect to dates of manufacture.

A small item is that the pin which retains the firing pin spring cap tended to work loose, and had to be tapped back in place as one saw it project from the rear of the bolt. Winchester replaced that pin in later production with one which had a reduced-diameter section in the middle. The spring fit into that section and secured the pin from walking.

Most 69As in decent shape can be had for $300-$400 today if you can find one. Most desirable are those with scope grooves.

I learned about guns from that first rifle. I learned to take it completely apart, and and once lost one of the extractor pins. I made a replacement from the prong on a school drawing compass, and it remains in the gun to this day. Works fine.

This is about all I can tell you about the 69A rifle. I hope it helps to fill in the blanks for you.

John

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 09-02-2009 at 01:36 PM.
The Following User Likes This Post: