View Single Post

Old 09-03-2009, 12:16 AM

Liked 129 Times in 58 Posts

I have a PPC 686 heavy barrel and it is really well put together IMO. Mine is called the 'Competitor' and is labeled such on the barrel. I understand that there is also a 'Hunter' that has porting and was a limited run. (I think 200 or so.)

The trigger is very smooth and the muzzle flip is zilch with all of the weights toward the muzzle. (They can be shifted with a plastic 'dummy' for a spacer.)

It is absolutely my favorite gun to shoot. I put a red dot on the rail and it really works well with this arm.

IIRC, these were discontinued in the late 90's and ran about $1,000-$1,100 new. I have seen a few on GB for close to that price used.

I put some Hogue 'Big-Butt' smooth stocks on mine, but should have gone with the checkered as there is so much barrel weight that smooth just doesn't give a good enough grip, although it's okay.

I cannot verify any true difference between this barrel and a stock barrel as they both shoot well. (I personally think that it's better, but there is no real reason.....other than it looks cool!)

I like the look of an unfluted cylinder, so I sent mine to the factory and had one installed. Now I like this gun even more!

Here is a pic of the one I have.