View Single Post

Old 09-05-2009, 05:44 PM

Liked 459 Times in 148 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by borntoraisehogs View Post
I use Flitz to remove surface rust .Doesn't everybody ? No abrasive , it will not remove factory bluing . All my blue guns look like new , but when you clean any blue gun for its first time the amount of rust on the cloth will scare you to death . Specially when hunting around salt water .
A couple of points I have found. First off, Flitz is abrasive. I have used it for years on my badge and, after 15 years, the badge looks like a river rock. all the high points are worn down. I switched to Mothers Billet polish. MUCH less abrasive than Flitz ot Semichrome. I have not used it on a blued gun, so, you are on your own if you want to try it.

I hear from people all the time about how they polished thier blue or stainless gun with Flitz and couldn't believe all the dirt and rust that came off...the rag just kept turning brown or black...

That is not rust and dirt...it metal, or the finish coming off. It comes out black because the metal polish abrades it and dissolves it into solution as it takes it off, thats why a satin stainless gun looks like nickel after a while.

If you don't believe me, take a gold ring. Gold does not normally tarnish except under strong acids...Polish the heck out of it with Flitz and a T-shirt...The ring will get shiney...tiny scratches will disappear and the rag will turn black. The scratches are going away because your are removing the surrounding metal...Thats what is now on the rag.

Last edited by Sgt 127; 09-05-2009 at 06:42 PM.