Thread: .38 special ctg
View Single Post

Old 09-06-2009, 07:17 PM

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn mccarver View Post
The abbreviation "CTG" merely stands for "cartridge." You are looking for the ammo or the S&W revolver which chambers it?

If you are looking for ammo, anything marked 38 Special is what you need. The 38 Special has had many names over the years, 38 Special, 38 S&W Special, 38 S&W Special High Speed, 38/44 S&W Special, 38 Special +P or 38 Special +P+ come to mind.

If you are looking for the revolver, anything S&W makes that is chambered in 38 Special is what you are looking for.

The abbreviation CTG on the caliber marking on the barrel has changed over the years, and I do not believe it is presently used.
Hi,

I'm currently looking to purchase the revolver itself at an estate auction. The only markings I found on the gun were S&W .38 Special CTG on the barrel, the serial number and the S&W logo by the handle. I didn't see a model number on the frame, but I didn't have a very long time to look at it.

I guess the bottom line would be is: Given the description I've given about this gun, does this revolver sound like it would be worth up to a $400 bid at auction?

Thanks to everyone for your input!